The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.7- Donna Jo's Task as suggested by Meghan: Good Spirits

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 24, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17870 comments Mod
30.7 - Donna Jo's task as suggested by Meghan: GOOD SPIRITS

In my state, Colorado, we make a lot of beer and have many Breweries. Just look and see
Colorado Breweries
. In the Fall there are also a lot a beer Festivals across the state and all over the world. For instance, All Colorado Beer Festival, Great American Beer Festival, and, of course, Oktoberfest. These are just a few of many that happen throughout the Fall months. This doesn't even include the many others around the world. Now raise our glasses/bottles/cans to the give cheers to the joyous event of reading.

A. Since beer is the oldest alcoholic beverage, read a book that is older than you. In other words, read a book that was first published before you were born. Requirement: Include publication date in your post.

AND

B. Since beer brings about the "good spirits" in people and relaxes those after a long day, read a book with a person smiling on the cover. The smile could be a laughing smile, a smirk, a picture-perfect fake smile, or just a simple grin. Requirement: Post a link to the cover of book for part B or describe the cover.

message 3: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Sep 05, 2010 11:01AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Smiling NO

Anything that is not a person. For example, animals, smiley faces, mythical creatures and toys.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer !Yo! by Julia Alvarez Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan The Pindar Diamond by Katie Hickman Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10) by Terry Pratchett Flavor of the Month by Olivia Goldsmith Secrets to Happiness A Novel by Sarah Dunn The Englisher (Annie's People, #2) by Beverly Lewis MARS, Volume 14 by Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実) MARS, Volume 10 by Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実) Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith Cuaderno De Noah by Nicholas Sparks A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17870 comments Mod
This thread is open! The Smile by Donna Jo Napoli

message 5: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments SQUEE! SMILE!

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments One of the most notable faces -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams ! Does this work for B?

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Tanja wrote: "One of the most notable faces -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams! Does this work for B?"

Sorry Tanja I was going more for an actual "person" smiling

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Btw - people can find the popular books by published date by using this Goodreads Tool (Warning: Takes time to load)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/popular...

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Home A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews Edwards ?

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Tanja wrote: "Home A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews Edwards?"

That will work! Semi-smirk

message 11: by Usako (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Awesome! Thanks!

message 12: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
You can't see the whole face of the one smiling, but you can see the smile. Is that OK?

message 13: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Cool task! :)

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ohh, i like this one...now to find something!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Does Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik work?

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz Love this task! I'm excited to find my books!

message 17: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 394 comments Is a cartoon sketch of a person smiling okay, or does it need to be a photo? I was thinking of:
I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

message 18: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 24, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments A drawing is fine as long as it is a person (for instance no toys, smiley faces, or animals)

message 19: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 24, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Christine US wrote: "Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
You can't see the whole face of the one smiling, but you can see the smile. Is that OK?"

Yes this is fine they don't have to be the full face just as long as you can tell it is a smile

message 20: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Does Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik work?"

Let me check again tonight when I have a better computer.

message 21: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Oh my, this is hard! I can find sad, sultry, wistful, thoughtful, angry, victorious, serious... but not one happy face. And half my books have the heads cut off the figures anyway LOL! help.....

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Nicki, I wanted to help you but your profile is set to private!

message 23: by Liz (last edited Aug 24, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

Liz I'm not sure if all of these work. Some of them look like smirks to me, but not sure if you would consider them that or not (namely the last 5).

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks Chocolat by Joanne Harris Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner Claudette Colvin Twice Toward Justice by Phillip M. Hoose The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey Firelight (Draki, #1) by Sophie Jordan Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer A Room With a View by E.M. Forster

message 24: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments smirks are acceptable

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments just want to check on Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill - looks like a smirk to me...but that shold be good...

message 26: by Usako (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Obvious Smiles/Smirks
Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali Heist Society by Ally Carter

?? Questionable ??
Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler

some are questionable on the smirk scale whereas others are obvious with the smile

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:19PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Does Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik work?"

I can't get a clear picture on any of their faces. So I will say no unless you have a copy and they are for sure smiling. Just say that on the post.

Edit: Ok I finally found a clear picture on Google Images (just had to find the largest picture available). It looks like the girl in the left corner is smiling so yes.

message 28: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:13PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Liz wrote: "I'm not sure if all of these work. Some of them look like smirks to me, but not sure if you would consider them that or not (namely the last 5).

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks"

All of them but Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer will work.

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz Thanks!

message 30: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "just want to check on Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill - looks like a smirk to me...but that shold be good..."

Yes this will work not as clear on Goodreads but B&N shows and there are clearly the dimples from her smirk.

message 31: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:37PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Tanja: Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama yes (picture on right is smiling) The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly no (I think the hat makes her mouth look crooked) The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler no

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments thanks!! I figured since the first one was approved above and she has the same expression...not so much luck on the third one...lol!

Meghan wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "just want to check on Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill - looks like a smirk to me...but that shold be good..."

Yes this will work not as clear on Goodread..."

message 33: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Ironically, one of the biggest smilers on any of my books is Anne Frank.
Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Would Persuasion work, or is she not smiley enough?
Persuasion by Jane Austen

I could also use South of the Border, West of the Sun A Novel by Haruki Murakami , but I don't know if I want to read 2 Murakami books in one challenge.

message 34: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Cait wrote: "Ironically, one of the biggest smilers on any of my books is Anne Frank.
Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Would Persuasion work, or is she not smiley enough?
"

Persuasion by Jane Austen yes it is one of those "I am only smiling because I have to.

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 742 comments Is this acceptable? You can't really see much of her mouth, but her eyes are smiling.
!Yo! by Julia Alvarez

message 36: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Diane wrote: "Is this acceptable? You can't really see much of her mouth, but her eyes are smiling.
!Yo! by Julia Alvarez"

Sorry Diane I am going to have to say no. I am looking for the mouth to be at least showing with a semi-smile.

message 37: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments This is harder than I thought it would be! Out of all the books on my TBR shelf this is the only one I can see with any kind of smile! Would it work?

A Song in the Daylight by Paullina Simons

message 38: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Nicki, I wanted to help you but your profile is set to private!"

I was sure it was public - thanks for letting me know!

message 39: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments Here are some smiling faces from my TBR shelf:

Mrs. Bridge A Novel by Evan S. Connell A Dance to the Music of Time First Movement by Anthony Powell The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen Hands of My Father A Hearing Boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love by Myron Uhlberg Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls A Treasury of Royal Scandals The Shocking True Stories History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors by Michael Farquhar Flow The Cultural Story of Menstruation by Elissa Stein Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall Shanghai Girls by Lisa See Ten Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out into the Real World by Maria Shriver We Are Our Mothers' Daughters by Cokie Roberts Everything Is Wrong with Me A Memoir of an American Childhood Gone, Well, Wrong by Jason Mulgrew

message 40: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H (nickihermann) From my TBR - not sure if they all count...

Poseur (Poseur, #1) by Rachel Maude , Candy Girl A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody , Official Book Club Selection A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin , Born Round The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater by Frank Bruni , Paper Towns by John Green , The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

message 41: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 25, 2010 09:13AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments SuzieR wrote: "This is harder than I thought it would be! Out of all the books on my TBR shelf this is the only one I can see with any kind of smile! Would it work?

A Song in the Daylight by Paullina Simons"

Sorry it is taking me so long to respond... I am trying to decide if she is smiling or if it is just her head that is crooked. I will have a final decision no later than tomorrow morning

Edit: Ok it looks good (I found a huge picture that took up the whole screen.)

message 42: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Aug 25, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Patricia wrote: "Here are some smiling faces from my TBR shelf:

Mrs. Bridge A Novel by Evan S. ConnellA Dance to the Music of Time First Movement by Anthony PowellThe Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen"

All work but Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller it looks more liek the child is screaming.

message 43: by ColleenPA (new)

ColleenPA | 84 comments Will this work -- it's rather enigmatic, but still a smile I think.

The Pindar Diamond by Katie Hickman

message 44: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments ColleenPA wrote: "Will this work -- it's rather enigmatic, but still a smile I think.

The Pindar Diamond by Katie Hickman"

Sorry Colleen I just don't see the smile. The top of her mouth seems to go horizontal.

message 45: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Nicki wrote: "From my TBR - not sure if they all count...

Poseur (Poseur, #1) by Rachel Maude, Candy Girl A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody"

I can see the smile in all but
The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

message 46: by ColleenPA (new)

ColleenPA | 84 comments Meghan wrote: "ColleenPA wrote: "Will this work -- it's rather enigmatic, but still a smile I think.

The Pindar Diamond by Katie Hickman"

Sorry Colleen I just don't see the smile. The top of her mouth ..."

Too bad, I must be a misanthrope, I can't find any titles I want to read with people on them.

message 47: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Meghan wrote:Sorry it is taking me so long to respond... I am trying to decide if she is smiling or if it is just her head that is crooked. I will have a final decision no later than tomorrow morning

Edit: Ok it looks good (I found a huge picture that took up the whole screen.)

Lovely. Thank you!

message 48: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Flavor of the Month by Olivia Goldsmith ????

message 49: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Beth NC wrote: "Flavor of the Month by Olivia Goldsmith ????"

Sorry Beth! It makes me smile :) because I love ice cream. But I don't see her smiling. Just licking her delicious-looking ice cream cone.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) Hero at Large by Janet Evanovich was originally written in 1987 according to http://www.evanovich.com/novels/novel... and I was born in 1989. That works for A, right?

« previous 1 3 4