Chicks On Lit discussion

Anyone interested in a reading challenge for summer?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 202 (202 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) I've joined a few groups since joining GR a few months ago and am interested in doing one of the reading challenges I've seen in other groups, but don't want to be "tied down" to the genre from that group (paranormal romance, urban fantasy, etc.) And I would like more time than a month to complete the challenge. I like the idea of "cover hunts" where you pick your books based on criteria for the covers: blue cover, man on cover, animal on cover etc. as well as title hunts: certain word in the title, single word titles, numbers in the title.
I'm thinking a summer challenge to run the season of summer, so from June 21 - Sept. 21 (I know! June 21 will be here quickly!). I've never done one of these before, and other groups keep "score" with leaderboards etc. I don't have time for that, nor do I know how to organize it, so this would be a just-for-fun challenge and we can keep each other posted on our progress.
Thoughts? Ideas? Has anyone done one before and can offer advice?

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments I done some, I like to do one. I don't know if i would be qualified to run one.

message 3: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) I don't think we need anyone to "run" it, but I can be "in charge", if that's what we want to call it. Moderate? What were the parameters of your challenge?

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jen, I think you might be interested in The Seasonal Reading Challenge group. Four challenges a year, and the summer one started June 1. You can count anything you've read since then, so you aren't really starting late.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

Look at the first post for general challenge "rules",

and specifically, the tasks for the Summer Challenge can be found here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 5: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) I started to get really excited to do this in the last few minutes since I posted. I'm a total type A personality (as I'm sure many of you bookworms are as well *wink*) so I started looking at the calendar for summer, looking at holidays and brainstorming parameters, etc. I decided I'm going to do it, even if I just do it myself for a personal challenge and if anyone wants to join me, great!!

Here's what I came up with: 10 books

1. Read a book by an author you have never read before.
2. Read a book published in the first half of the 20th century (1900 - 1950).
3. Read a book with a man/woman couple on the cover.
4. Book with one-word title.
5. In honor of Friendship day, read a book from a GR friend's to-read shelf.
6. In honor of July 4, read a book with an American flag on the cover.
7. In honor of the first day of summer, read a book with the word 'summer' in the title.
8. In honor of Canada day on July 1, read a book by a Canadian author.
9. In honor of Grandparents' day on Sept. 12, read a book with either 'grand' or 'parent' in the title.
10. Read a book from the historical fiction genre.

Who's with me?

message 6: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Thanks Elizabeth for the info! I must have been typing while you posted.

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments I am willing to participate.

message 8: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Great! Let's list our books by June 15? No starting until June 21.....I can't believe how EXCITED I am to do this!!

message 9: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Just had a look at the Seasonal Reading Challenge Group and WOW! That seems complicated! Maybe I'll try it on their next go-round.....

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jen, about half the fun is finding books that fit the tasks. I think there were about 100 readers for the Spring Challenge and only 15 finished. I know I won't finish, but I'm going to have fun with it.

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Since it's summer, I can definitely give it a try.

message 12: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Elizabeth - that's encouraging to hear, I'd like to give it a try with the Fall challenge. And yes, finding books for the tasks is fun!

Welcome aboard Vicki! I think there's 3 of us so far. Unless you're joining Elizabeth?

message 13: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 09, 2010 07:45PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I'm so steeped in the Summer Challenge, and their challenge-within-a-challenge, Reading with Style, that I'll have to skip this one. But I encourage you, because you have chosen (unwittingly?) the same type of tasks that you would find in the Seasonal Challenges. It's a chance to test the waters, so to speak, to see if you like this sort of thing.

The other thing is that it in no way conflicts with participating in CoL. There is lots more camaraderie over here, methinks.

message 14: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) If it's ok, I'd also like to have a try at completing a challenge - so long as noone minds if I fail woefully!

message 15: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Welcome Em! And it's just for fun, so really, there is no such thing as failure!!

I've just about got my books picked, just need a quick trip to the library this evening to look at some covers! Exciting!

message 16: by Smitha (new)

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 4853 comments Is there any specific topic for the challenge (I mean out of the few mentioned in message 5)?

message 17: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) I'm not sure what you mean by topic. Do you mean a theme? This is my first challenge and I've never designed one before. I just picked 10 criteria for the books based on what I've seen in other challenges and summer happenings. If you're asking if the criteria in message 5 are what we're picking our books on, then yes. And if anyone wants to read more than 10 books, feel free to add some more criteria or parameters, or topics, whatever they're called.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I'd like to join also!

message 19: by Mirza (new)

Mirza (mirzaarhasan) | 222 comments Jen, the list is great, but it sound like a lot of work, and one heck of a search for books !!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) JenC, This is a great list - searching for books to fit that list would be half the fun!

Unfortunately I'm trying to finish a bunch of other challenges this summer, but if you try another in the fall I may sign up :o)

message 21: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Ok gals - here's my list. Feel free to steal some for yourself if you have trouble finding one to fit the criteria. I won't read them in order - it all depends on what's available at the library and what I have to reserve if checked out, you know the drill! I've never posted book covers before so here goes.....

1. New author: Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson

2. Book published 1900 - 1950: Black Boy (The Restored Text Established by The Library of America) by Richard Wright Black Boy by Richard Wright Published 1937.

3. Man / Woman couple on cover: The Princess Bride  by William Goldman The Princess Bride by William Goldman

4. One word title: Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

5. Friend's shelf (Ashley): Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning

6. American flag on cover: Battle Cry of Freedom The Civil War Era (Oxford History of the United States) by James M. McPherson Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson

7. Summer in title: Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy

8. Canadian author: Moonheart by Charles de Lint Moonheart by Charles de Lint

9. Grand in title: The Grand Finale by Janet Evanovich The Grand Finale by Janet Evanovich

10. Historical fiction: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Whew! better post this before I mess it up!

message 22: by Em (last edited Jun 12, 2010 03:26AM) (new)

Em (emmap) and mine is....

1. New author: Malia & Teacup Awesome African Adventure by Molly Barrow Malia & Teacup: Awesome African Adventure by Molly Barrow

2. 1900-1950: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

3. Man/Woman: The Outcast by Sadie Jones The Outcast by Sadie Jones

4. One word: Persuasion by Jane Austen Persuasion by Jane Austen

5. Friends TBR List: The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Road by Cormac McCarthy

6. American Flag: MADE IN AMERICA by Bill Bryson MADE IN AMERICA by Bill Bryson

7. Summer: The Summer Book by Tove Jansson The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

8. Canadian: Good Bones by Margaret Atwood Good Bones by Margaret Atwood

9. Grand or parent: The Good Parents A Novel by Joan London The Good Parents: A Novel by Joan London

10. Historical fiction: Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant

Think that's covered everything...

message 23: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Interesting list! I've only ever heard of "The Road", and I had a hard time finding an American flag book and didn't see that one! Were most of these on your TBR shelf?

message 24: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments I LOVE this idea! I have emialed the list to mself so that I can begin searching!

message 25: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments do we get points for reading books for the challenge and do we get multiple points for repeating tasks with different books?

message 26: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
This looks like Fun! I think Ill give it a go although not sure I can finish it but ill give it a go. Listing my books in a bit after some research

message 27: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Jayme - I don't know how the whole point system works, so I'm not worrying about points. It's just for fun. But absolutely challenge yourself to repeat tasks with different books, that is a great idea! I didn't even think of repeating.

Elizabeth (Alaska) It's one of the ways the Reading With Style challenge works - you can do the same task over and over if you like. Also you get extra points if a book you choose could have been used for another task, or is old, or is translated.

message 29: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments Well with points Jen, you can determine than on the type of task. Easier tasks have less point value than harder tasks. One book tasks have less point value than multi book tasks.

message 30: by Algo0117 (new)

Algo0117 Gonzalez | 18 comments I am in and will come up with my list weekend! I am hoping I can follow through with this one so I can join some next year with my book blog.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I have to admit, one of the reason that I never join the seasonal challenges I see on other boards is because of the whole "point" system. I get that the harder the challenge is, the more points you get...but what's the point? (Haha, get it?) Do you win a prize or something?

I like to do challenges for fun and to introduce myself to things I may not read otherwise. When there's some specific reason for a challenge such as "winning" it... it just doesn't seem as appealing to me.

Man.....maybe I will do this challenge. I was going to wait until I finished my others this summer, but the more I read this thread the more tempted I am to join!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Okay, already picked my books! (Hey, it's 3 am and I'm at work...I had time to kill.)

1. New Author: Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephanie Meyer
(Not looking forward to this one...)

2. 1900-1950: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck by John Steinbeck

3. Couple on cover: Nothing But Trouble (Chinooks Hockey Team, #5) by Rachel Gibson by Rachel Gibson

4. One word: Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins by Suzanne Collins

5. Friend's to-read shelf: Interview With the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice by Anne Rice

6. American flag on cover: America's Hidden History LP Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation by Kenneth C. Davis by Kenneth Davis

7. Summer in title: Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas by Lisa Kleypas

8. Canadian author: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood by Margaret Atwood

9. Grand / parent in title: Grand Passion by Jayne Ann Krentz by Jayne Anne Krentz

10. Historical fiction: The White Queen by Philippa Gregory by Phillipa Gregory

message 33: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) JenC. wrote: "Interesting list! I've only ever heard of "The Road", and I had a hard time finding an American flag book and didn't see that one! Were most of these on your TBR shelf?"

I've just changed No. 3 - I didn't notice it was a couple not one or the other!

Some were on my TBR list, I won Malia & Teacup: Awesome African Adventure on Good Reads so was planning to read it regardless. I actually own but haven't read most of the books. The Good Parents and MADE IN AMERICA were found at the library, the flag was the most difficult - there was a very long book about the Bush administration which I couldn't face reading so I headed for travel writing and found the Bill Bryson.

The Summer Book is a re-read, the writer is Swedish and wrote the Moomin books for children that I used to read when I was little. This book is about a 6 year old who spends summer on a tiny island with her elderly artist Grandmother - now my own children are nearly 6 I'd like to read it from the perspective of knowing children which I didn't the last time. I wasn't planning on it but this challenge was a perfect opportunity.

message 34: by B. (new)

B. Hi Jen

I'd like to participate, but I have one question. I'd like to choose my books as I go along; I never really know what I'll be in the mood to read until I finish my current book, plus I have some book club obligations that I have to meet and I only know what those selections are on a month to month basis.
If it's okay, I'll join the challenge, but will post my books as I read them; if not, then I can sit it out, no problem.
Thanks,

Beth

message 35: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Beth - You can absolutely choose as you go! We'll be easy here, no real rules or points, let's just read! I know what you mean about the book club picks, luckily my "in real life" book club has chosen "Middlesex" to read over the entire summer (we usually pick every month as well) and I've already read it, so that frees up some reading time for me!

Sarah - I love your list! I'm marking some of them for my "to-read" shelf. I'm one of those Twilight fans, so here's hoping you get hooked! Though I haven't really liked the movies.... *ducks in case someone throws something*
Love Phillipa Gregory (I've read The Virgin's Lover) and can't wait for Mockingjay to come out! And where are you working at 3am?

message 36: by Vicki (new)

Vicki So here is the plan so far... most of the books I own, but I may get distracted and change things as a I go along. I hope that's ok. Looking forward to working on this one!

1. Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharrat

2. [Book: Gone With The Wind] by Margaret Mitchell

3. [Book: The Pact] by Jodi Picoult

4. [Book: Blindness] by Jose Saramego

5. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

6. Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

7. The Summer We Fell Apart by Robin Antalek

8. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery

9. Grand Avenue by Joy Fielding.

10. Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

message 37: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Sarah, loved your comment about Twilight, though I have to admit, I did enjoy them at the time. Now though, I am over the hype. Hope it turns out well for you.

message 38: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments Sarah wrote: "I have to admit, one of the reason that I never join the seasonal challenges I see on other boards is because of the whole "point" system. I get that the harder the challenge is, the more points yo..."

I never actually completely finished the Seasonal Challenge but I participate anyways. The points are incentive and the top winners or winners of various tasks chose a task for others to do. It is a way for me to get some of my unread boos read.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I agree, Jayme. The higher point tasks are usually 2 book tasks, and that just makes me read a bit more. I think that's what a "challenge" is all about - stretching yourself to read more, and to read books you might not have otherwise.

message 40: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments I am just giving suggestions, ultimately it is Jen's decision.

message 41: by Sarah (last edited Jun 12, 2010 09:35AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) JenC. wrote: "Beth - You can absolutely choose as you go! We'll be easy here, no real rules or points, let's just read! I know what you mean about the book club picks, luckily my "in real life" book club has c..."

I love Philippa Gregory, althougth I was disappointed with the last one I read (The Other Queen), so I hope this one is better!

And I work for a trucking company in a trailer yard... 12 hour shifts give me LOTS of time to read :o)

I'm excited to start :o) Got it marked in my phone to start June 21st!

message 42: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) I like the idea of repeating tasks too - mainly as I've just been given The White Queen and I love to read Philippa Gregory. Also, Ive got several books by authors I've not read before: American Gods, One Day, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West but at this rate it won't be a summer challenge it'll be the rest of the year and maybe a bit longer challenge!

message 43: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments Vicki, I read "The Pact". I liked it. I also read "The Tenth Circle"

message 44: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) Re: the points. My initial reasoning for doing this challenge was to get back into reading after having a new baby (he's 10mo now). I have a bit more time on my hands as a stay-at-home mom than I did just after he was born, but I also have a 4.5yr old who is already reading as well. I wanted to do a challenge, but not to the extent I had seen on other groups. I didn't even know about the points until Elizabeth directed me to the Seasonal group. I would like to try that challenge in the future, but right now I'm just getting back into reading for my own pleasure, rather that parenting / baby books. I just want to dip my toe in, so to speak, and see where it goes. Ultimately, I want to challenge myself to read 10 books in 3mo, just to see if I can do it. So that is my personal goal and I'm happy to have anyone along that wants to come with me. I won't be keeping track of any points with this challenge, but may in the future, especially if I decide to do one of the Seasonal group's challenges. And if this is a popular thread and people want to do it again in the fall, then I'm willing to try adding points to the experience. But I would need some help with that, I have no experience. Happy reading everyone!

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Jayme wrote: "Vicki, I read "The Pact". I liked it. I also read "The Tenth Circle""

I tried Tenth Circle twice and couldn't make it. Other than that I have read a few of hers, Vanishing Acts, Change of Heart, and My Sister's Keeper. I did like all of them and I have a few more on my shelf, I'd like to get to.

message 46: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4860 comments I been in the Seasonal Reading challenge for 3 seasons and I don't finish it. I just have fun. The points are a good incentive. We all need to find the incentive for ourselves.

message 47: by B. (new)

B. JenC. wrote: "Beth - You can absolutely choose as you go! We'll be easy here, no real rules or points, let's just read! I know what you mean about the book club picks, luckily my "in real life" book club has c..."

Okay Jen, I'm in! Thanks

message 48: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Jen, I think its great that you are setting it up to give it a try. Personally, I like a more laid back approach because I tend to get overwhelmed easily and feel trapped by books I feel I have to read. I know this is a personal issue. I set a few goals for myself with this one like I tried to choose books that were on my shelf because I own 300 un-read books or books I have been saying I want to read that for awhile. I did that, except with [Book: Grand Avenue], that I had to search for :)

I am looking forward to the challenge.

message 49: by Jenny (last edited Jun 21, 2010 12:27AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments Ooh a lot of my TBR books fit into these categories:

1. New to me author: It Never Rains in Tiger Stadium by John Ed Bradley

2. 1900 - 1950: Brave New World

3. male and female on cover: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) by Kazu Kibuishi

4. Book with one-word title: Mockingjay (Neverwhere if Mockingjay release delayed)

5. GR friend's to-read shelf: Enchanted Glass or The Passage

6. American flag on cover: TBD

7. 'summer' in title: Twenty Boy Summer or The Summer I Turned Pretty

8. Canadian author: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

9. 'grand' or 'parent' in title: TBD

10. historical fiction: The Book Thief

message 50: by Algo0117 (last edited Jun 12, 2010 03:46PM) (new)

Algo0117 Gonzalez | 18 comments Ok after a couple hours of searching I finally have my search!

1. New Author:Secrets of a Shoe Addict by Beth Harbison

2. 1900-1950:Animal Farmby George Orwell

3. Man/Woman:Rescue Meby Gigi Levangie Grazer

4. One Word:Foreverby Judy Blume

5. GR Friends to-read Shelf:The Reading Groupby Elizabeth Noble

6. American Flag:4th Of July Picnicby Pat Pritchard

7. Summer in title:Prodigal Summerby Barbra Kingslover

8. Canadian Author:The Edible Womanby Margaret Atwood

9. Grand or Parent in title:The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parentingby Christine Mellor

10. Historical Fiction:The Book Thiefby Martin Zusak

« previous 1 3 4 5