Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Introduce yourself - archived

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,719) (2719 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 54 55

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1540 comments Mod
A place to introduce yourself to the group. :)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Dreamworldbooks) | 8 comments I was browsing new groups to participate in for the discussions and just HAD to join this one!

My name is Sarah and I joined Goodreads in January 2010, but have been a member of other book websites for several years.

My favorite cozy mystery author of all time is M.C. Beaton! Other series I enjoy are by Cleo Coyle, Alice Kimberly, and Tamar Myers, to name a few. I am always keeping my eyes peeled for new series that would interest me.

I also write book reviews for my website http://dreamworldbooks.com.

Nice to meet everyone, and I look forward to adding some titles to my wish list!

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Welcome Sarah. I've read Tamar Myer's Penn Dutch series. I have some of Alice Kimberly to start soon, and just have one or two of M.C. Beaton. I love Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series. I want to reread that soon.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (sumagoo) | 131 comments Hello, I am one of the few Susan's in this great group. I am from So. Colorado. I love this group, I enjoy reading what everyone has to say. I have found so many new authors to read from this group.
My favorite cozy authors are: Laura Levine, Joanne Fluke, Sammi Carter, Maddy Hunter, Deb Baker, Nancy Atherton, and so many more.
It is nice to meet all of you and can't wait to read more of your comments.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5075 comments I'm Melodie and I've been part of this group for awhile now. I joined GR a couple of years ago, but wasn't active until a book group I had been part of for years on AOL moved over here. I've since joined several groups here. I live in the Denver, CO metro area and reading is my great escape. My very favorite cozy authors are Susan Wittig Albert and Earlene Fowler, but have others that I follow, too.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hi, I'm Kim. I signed up with Goodreads in 2007 and I love it. Great way to organize your books and find new authors to try out. I live in the Austin, Texas area with my darling husband and completely spoiled dog Nala. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our first baby, due end of July. I've always been an avid reader, but got hooked on cozies when I started reading Laura Childs, Susan Wittig Albert, and Cleo Coyle. Now my list of favorite cozy authors is huge and it's definitely my favorite genre to read. Hope to see you around the group!!!

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy Kimberly.

message 8: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (BookNerd69) | 245 comments Hey Kimberly, we live in the same place!! I live with my husband, daughter (almost 6!), 2 cats and 1 dog. We live in South Austin and I've been here my entire life. :) Welcome to this awesome group!! And congratulations on your new baby :)

message 9: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Hi, I'm Valorie. I've been with Goodreads for awhile, but mostly read paranormal and urban fantasy books. I've been trying to squeeze in some mysteries for the last few months and thought it would help if I joined a mystery group! I'm hoping you all can introduce me to some fantastic authors I should be reading! So far I'm really enjoying Hailey Lind, Shirley Damsgaard, Yasmine Galenorn, and Heather Webber.
Thanks Everyone!

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Welcome Valorie. I've only recently discovered PNR & UF so have been reading alot of lately. Although, the Sookie Stackhouse books are shelved as mystery at a nearby bookstore (although not cozy. lol). And I'm reading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher about a wizard P.I. in Chicago. It's urban fantasy but still a mystery. So I've been reading alot of mysteries lately, just not too many cozy ones. I have quite a few cozies to read that were recommended by folks here, so need to work them into my reading this summer.

message 11: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "Welcome Valorie. I've only recently discovered PNR & UF so have been reading alot of lately. Although, the Sookie Stackhouse books are shelved as mystery at a nearby bookstore (although not cozy. l..."

I love the Dresden Files! I'm waiting for the new book Changes from my local library! I consider the Sookie books to be mystery too.

message 12: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited May 02, 2010 09:09PM) (new)

I've only just started The Dresden Files and have read the first two. The library has all of them and I'm slowly getting a few off PBS. I'm working my way through the series slowly. I love to read a series back-to-back but those were intense enough (but in a good way) that I wanted to read something in between them and got stuck reading the Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands (PNR). Another P.I. mystery series that's UF that I want to read is The Vampire Files by P.N. Elrod, about a vampire P.I. in 1930's Chicago. There are I think 12 books in the series. I bought two used omnibus editions that got me the first 6 novels in two volumes inexpensively. Just trying to read one P.I. series at a time, so finishing Dresden Files first. The Vampire Files has a very noir feel to them. The Dresden Files does a bit in places, but the Vampire Files even more so.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Whittle (TinaWhittle) | 30 comments Hi, I'm Tina, and I read all over the map, but mysteries (especially short story collections) are my favorite. I like cozy, but not too-cozy, mysteries (which is also what I write). I also enjoy paranormal (like the Sookie Stackhouse novels) and some of whatever you might call Terry Pratchett (mysterious sci-fantasy?) and Southern stories of all kinds (I live near Savannah, Georgia, and grew up just up the road, so that's in my blood). I'm new to the group, so I'm still getting my sea legs, but so far, I've gotten some excellent recommendations. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning and getting to know more.

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5075 comments Valorie wrote: "Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "Welcome Valorie. I've only recently discovered PNR & UF so have been reading alot of lately. Although, the Sookie Stackhouse books are shelved as myst..."

You're gonna LOVE CHANGES, Valorie! I gave it a 10. The best book I've read this year, so far!

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thanks Briansgirl. I survived my glucose test this morning - Yuck!

Hi Kelley!!!! We actually live in Round Rock. Been here for almost 7 years and love it! Are you bracing yourself for the hot summer weather :)

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Thanks Briansgirl. I survived my glucose test this morning - Yuck!"

I only had to suffer through that once or twice in my first pregnancy. After the first one, they knew I'd have it with next one. I had gestational diabetes with each pregnancy, so had to take insulin.

message 17: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (BookNerd69) | 245 comments Hey Kimberly, yep, just waiting for the heat wave to hit :) Thank goodness for the free City swimming pools! :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi,

Just call me Tea. I live in Tennessee. I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I also have a cat who rules our household. I love, love cozies. I am happy every time a new one is published. I'm reading The Vanishing Violinist by Sara Hoskinson Frommer. I also love the Shaker cozy series and many others like.....

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate Collins | 25 comments Hi, My name is Kate Collins. I love cozies, I write cozies, and I read cozies. I am so cozy it scares me! A cup of tea, a cat, and a good cozy -- does it get any better than that? Well, yes. I forgot the dark chocolate. Nice to meet you all!

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Kate wrote: "Hi, My name is Kate Collins. I love cozies, I write cozies, and I read cozies. I am so cozy it scares me! A cup of tea, a cat, and a good cozy -- does it get any better than that? Well, yes. I forg..."

I LOVE your cozies!! Just started Sleeping With Anemone this morning :)

message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5075 comments Kate wrote: "Hi, My name is Kate Collins. I love cozies, I write cozies, and I read cozies. I am so cozy it scares me! A cup of tea, a cat, and a good cozy -- does it get any better than that? Well, yes. I forg..."

Have read all the Flower Shop books and have enjoyed them all! That Marco.....what a hottie!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate, do you like to cook? I'm thinking of Diane Mott Davidson's cozies, Killer Pancake, etc. I can't imagine how a person writes a cozy. I just think you're awfully talented.

message 23: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I guess I should properly introduce myself. I'm Kate and am a single mother of 3 boys. I'm engaged and my fiance lives in England. I live in Nebraska.

message 24: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Even though I've been a member for quite a while and comment quite a bit I will "formally" introduce myself. My name is Denise, I am 57 (very soon to be 58), have worked in the Executive Search business for 16 years (currently self employed and working with two of my old bosses)--for everyone that isn't familiar with the term I am a "headhunter". I live in Columbus Ohio but am trying to buy a house in Phoenix. I have two girls, two grandkids, and one great grandson. Notice all the twos? I am a Gemini--you know "the twins". My girls, grands, and great grand are all in Phoenix so I want to move so I can see more of them all.

I have been reading "forever". I can remember when I was a very little girl that my Dad worked at Rand McNally in Hammond Indiana (where I was born). I can remember him taking me to work with him and watching books being made (that was so exciting to me). Having been raised as an only child (I was adopted) I read for companionship (especially after moving to Ohio when I was 9, we lived in the country with no kids close to play with). As a child I liked the Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, and books by Louisa May Alcott, or anything else that had print on it! I did not read Nancy Drew, isn't that odd? I read a wide variety of books (see my profile and I don't have nearly all the books that I have read on Goodreads). I love cozies but read outside the genre as much as in it. I don't know that I really have a "favorite" cozy series but I got really started reading cozies with Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series. In fact I am currently reading her latest, Laughed 'Til He Died: A Death on Demand Mystery.

Outside of reading I like doing Sudoku, playing Mahjongg (on the computer, I have never played with the tiles), and to a lesser degree doing other kinds of mind games like Find the Difference (in pictures), Logic puzzles, and have just started doing the Cryptoquotes in our Sunday paper.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate Collins | 25 comments Denise wrote: "Even though I've been a member for quite a while and comment quite a bit I will "formally" introduce myself. My name is Denise, I am 57 (very soon to be 58), have worked in the Executive Search bus..."

Wow, what a coincidence! I grew up in Hammond, Indiana!

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate Collins | 25 comments Leola wrote: "Kate, do you like to cook? I'm thinking of Diane Mott Davidson's cozies, Killer Pancake, etc. I can't imagine how a person writes a cozy. I just think you're awfully talented."

Thanks! You can't tell, but I'm blushing. I do cook, but don't love it so much. It's the clean-up, actually. I do love to garden, however. I love, love, LOVE flowers.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Kate wrote: .Wow, what a coincidence! I grew up in Hammond, Indiana!."

I was born at St. Margaret's Hospital in Hammond. My first home was in Calumet City but I don't remember living there. From when I can remember until we moved to Ohio we lived in Schererville and I started school at St. Michael's in Schererville. All of my Dad's side of the family was in the Cal City/Hammond area (and the various town's around there like Dyer, Crown Point, etc.).

message 28: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Melodie wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "Welcome Valorie. I've only recently discovered PNR & UF so have been reading alot of lately. Although, the Sookie Stackhouse books ar..."

Fantastic!! I've loved all the books in that series!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy Saunders (amydsaunders) | 5 comments Hi! I'm Amy. I read and write mysteries, and cozies are some of my favorites. I'm currently into Rhys Bowen and a series I just discovered by P.C. Doherty. I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading and finding out about new books. :)

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Braswell | 206 comments My name is Leslie and I just joined GR a week or so ago. I found the website by accident looking for reviews on Leslie Meier's Lucy Stone series--somehow google brought me here and I have really enjoyed reading the new posts as well as some of the older ones(I never have found much on Leslie Meier--but that's another thread!)

I am in Taylorsville, NC which is in the foothills--an hour from the mountains and only 5 hours from the coast. I have always read romance, and romantic suspense until about 3 years ago and since then I'm almost all cozy--or cozyish.

Kate...I too have read all the Flower shop mysteries and they are certainly some of my favorites!

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate Collins | 25 comments Thank you, Leslie!

message 32: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments The flower shop mystery sounds really fun! I'll have to add it to my TBR list!

message 33: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7736 comments Mod
I suppose I should do a "proper" introduction as well, though I've been on GR since Sept 2007. I'm Heather (I added the "L" to help distinguish myself from the multitude of "other" Heathers here - and, BTW, hated that movie) and live on the southern edge of Madison, WI. I love living near the Arboretum - had a long walk through there Sunday afternoon, along with a few hundred of my "neighbors."

While I don't know when I learned to read, or have memories of being read to, I do remember carrying armloads of books home as early as first grade. I loved anything with a good mystery or that involved ghosts and witches. I grew up on Trixie Belden (still have all my books!), but never cared much for Nancy Drew - Trixie and her friends were more "real." My all-time favorite book is Witch of the Glen, which I read countless times in middle school. It sparked my interest in the romance genre and is one of the rare occasions I was ever tempted to steal a library book (hey, it's long out of print and now sells for $150 to $300 - I wish I had that much to spend on one book!).

I find I grow bored if I concentrate on one genre or one author for too long, so tend to read across multiple genres - mysteries, thriller, romance, romantic suspense (with or without paranormal elements), classics, general fiction... Genres I don't particularly care for include SF, fantasy, and memoires - but occasionally something will catch my attention enough to pull me in (like The Hunger Games).

message 34: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3055 comments Well, although I've been here a couple of months I suppose that I'm quite new ;) so I introduce myself. I'm Marisa and live in Madrid, Spain. I've been at Goodreads only for a few months when my readings became English readings mainly. I've read since I remember, always. I like romance (mainly paranormal and suspense), fantasy, sci-fi (space opera mainly) and mysteries (not thrillers, detectives and cozies). But I read a lot of a genre and later I change. It deppends a lot on my mood.

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary (resort) | 127 comments Tina wrote: "Hi, I'm Tina, and I read all over the map, but mysteries (especially short story collections) are my favorite. I like cozy, but not too-cozy, mysteries (which is also what I write). I also enjoy pa..."

Tina, since you like short story collections, you might like Chesapeake Crimes: They Had It Comin'

Chesapeake Crimes: They Had It Comin'
The stories are all authored by my fellow members of Sisters in Crime (including me). The anthology just came out last month. There's quite a wide variety of styles, all starting with the title theme and all great fun.

message 36: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 101 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "A place to introduce yourself to the group. :)"

I've been a member of Goodreads for quite awhile now, but don't believe I've ever introduced myself.

My name is Christy, I'm 43, live with a small Chinese Crested dog of the hairy hairless variety (I kid you not!) in a small town in the Ashland, KY area. I have a daughter who is 20 and a granddaughter who is 7 months old now. I don't see them very often, but sometimes.

I read traditional, historical and cozy mysteries...lots of British mysteries, but the modern cozies are usually American...and some of the traditional ones.

I'm disabled by illness, but use to be a certified optician and contact lens technician. Besdies reading, I enjoy crocheting, doing the occasional plastic canvas needlepoint project and sometimes word search puzzles.

Thanks for having me!

message 37: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5075 comments Christine wrote: "Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "A place to introduce yourself to the group. :)"

I've been a member of Goodreads for quite awhile now, but don't believe I've ever introduced myself..."

My folks live in eastern KY, about 60-65 miles from Huntington, WV, so I'm real familiar with your area, Christine. My little brother likes to shop in Huntington or Lexington, KY, so we're through your area when I go back to visit.

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise | 619 comments Leslie wrote: "My name is Leslie and I just joined GR a week or so ago. I found the website by accident looking for reviews on Leslie Meier's Lucy Stone series--somehow google brought me here and I have really e..."

Leslie: What were you trying to find out about Leslie Meier? I don't have a lot of info about her, she doesn't seem to have a website (or at least I couldn't find one). What I know about her is she was born in 1948 and lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, MA. As far as I can see, the Lucy Stone series is the only series she has written and she doesn't seem to have a pseudonym. She started writing the series in 1991 starting with Mistletoe Murder. She continues the series and has two books coming out this year, the first is Wicked Witch Murder which is #16 in the series and will be out in September and Gingerbread Cookie Murder coming out in October is a collaboration with Joanne Fluke and Laura Levine. Fantastic Fiction lists Gingerbread Cookie Murder as #17 in the Lucy Stone series but I don't think that can be accurate since it seems to be a joint effort of the three authors.

message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Braswell | 206 comments Thanks Denise for the info.

I was trying to find a website for Leslie Meier to read more about her series. Actually the Gingerbread Cookie Murder was the reason I was looking. I follow the series of both Joanne Fluke and Laura Levine so I was interested to see if the Lucy Stone series would be something I would enjoy. I found the whole series on ebay this week so I have all 15 books coming soon. I sure hope I like them!

message 40: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5075 comments Leslie wrote: "Thanks Denise for the info.

I was trying to find a website for Leslie Meier to read more about her series. Actually the Gingerbread Cookie Murder was the reason I was looking. I..."

I've read several of Leslie Meier's books. They're a bit up & down.

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments Hi I'm Chris. I'm 48 and live in Worcester, MA. I've been on Goodreads for almost a year now. I saw the May challenge and thought it would be fun. I grew up reading mom's Agatha Christie mysteries which started my love of mysteries. Agatha Christie is my favorite and I like collecting the older paperback editions with different cover art. Rita Mae Brown, Carolyn Hart, Dorothy Cannell and Lilian Jackson Braun are some of my other favorite authors.

I'm currently reading the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton. I found Aunt Dimity's Good Deed at Goodwill and liked it so I've gone back and started the series from the beginning.

message 42: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Chris, be sure to join in our Cozy Author discussion for May as the Featured Author is Nancy Atherton.

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate Collins | 25 comments A stealth mystery reader. Love it!

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments Hi, I'm Lisa from So.Colorado and I just love mysteries! They are my go to comfort reads and I was so excited to see this group. I joined immediately!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2413 comments Hello Lisa! Welcome :)

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate Collins | 25 comments Welcome, Lisa! After listening to the nightly news, who doesn't need a good comfort read? Escapism is a good thing!

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan (sumagoo) | 131 comments Welcome, Lisa!! I am from So. Colorado too. Live in Alamosa! I do really enjoy this group and hope you will too.

message 48: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7736 comments Mod
Welcome, Lisa!

message 49: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5075 comments Welcome, Lisa! I'm also in CO, but the Denver metro area.

message 50: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Hello everyone.
I love The Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun and have recently ordered lots of cozy mysteries. I look forward to getting to know everyone better. I am in So Ca near Palm Springs and you will hear complaining very soon Too Hot LOL. Oh yes, I should mention retired and happily reading my way through the days.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 54 55
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sleeping With Anemone (other topics)
Laughed 'Til He Died (other topics)
Witch of the Glen (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Chesapeake Crimes: They Had it Comin' (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carolyn G. Hart (other topics)
Joanne Fluke (other topics)
Laura Levine (other topics)
Leslie Meier (other topics)
Nancy Atherton (other topics)
More...