Start by marking “Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)

Curiosity Thrilled the Cat

(Magical Cats Mystery #1)

When librarian Kathleen Paulson moved to Mayville Heights, Minnesota, she had no idea that two strays would nuzzle their way into her life. Owen is a tabby with a catnip addiction and Hercules is a stocky tuxedo cat who shares Kathleen's fondness for Barry Manilow. But beyond all the fur and purrs, there's something more to these felines.

When murder interrupts Mayville's
Published February 1st 2011 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Curiosity Thrilled the Cat, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) I'd say it is. No sex, no violence to speak of...just a "cute" kitty mystery. No big deal. They see worse on TV every day.

Julie
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat: A Magical Cats Mystery by Sofie Kelly is a 2011 NAL publication.

Cats, libraries and books are a winning trifecta, and they tend to complement each other, especially well when these three elements apply to mystery novels. So, it’s no surprise that there is no shortage of mystery series, especially in the cozy genre, featuring cats, books, and libraries, in one combination or another.

I wasn’t sure about this series when it was recommended to me, because, although I lo
✨ Gramy ✨
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat is the introductory installment for the A Magical Cats Mystery Series by Sofie Kelly.

Meet small town librarian Kathleen Paulson and her fantastical felines, Hercules and Owen, in the first novel in the New York Times bestselling Magical Cats Mystery series.

Although it contains aspects of a paranormal phenomenon which normally piques my interest, some parts of it were boring, and other parts were just okay. The abilities the casts possessed was only introduced
✨Susan✨
This was a fun, cozy, murder mystery that had a good story. I thought it might be silly because of the special kitty's but it had just enough magic to keep it funny but not over the top ridiculous.

Two cats adopt and make themselves comfortable in the home of a young woman who is new to a small town, where she has been hired to be the new librarian. She's not sure why or where they came from but they are sweet, ornery, and funny. She likes having them around to keep her company and they seem to
Leila
I read this book quite quickly. It is a pleasant but very light, gentle and easy read...with mainly five star reviews. I think it will appeal on the whole to cat lovers. Without adding spoilers all I will say is that the cats apparently have magical powers! Not to be taken too seriously I would think. Some of the 'dialogue' between Kathleen (the main character) and her two cats is quite humorous. but a lot of the dialogue and the events happening between Kathleen and her little collection of fem ...more
HeyT
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book had the potential to be okay but there were two main problems with it for me. The first is that as a ~magical~ cats mystery I expected less derision towards "crazy cat ladies" because who else buys books about ~magical~ cats? Way to alienate your target audience. The second has to do with the pacing. It felt like we were wandering around town endlessly with Kathleen and her library renovations just wondering about who done it rather than her and her cats actively seeking out informatio ...more
Beth
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
So this is cute, but it's also sort of - bland. It's not the magic cats, though I think I'd like that aspect better if it was simply played as "cats are smarter than all of us." It's that this book hits my first-in-a-series, lack-of-complete-background bias, wherein some information is doled out that is central to the characterization of the protagonist, but more is clearly withheld. And it's that the mystery is fairly weak (red herrings practically wear big "Red Herring Alert!" signs) - and that ev ...more
Tari
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After having won and read book 10 of this series, I just had to go back to the beginning and see how this all got started. It was so much fun reading about Kathleen's reactions to the first times she witnessed Owen appearing or disappearing and Hercules walking through a door or a wall. And the handsome detective Gordon wasn't nearly as grouchy or impatient with her as I was worried he'd be, lol.

Someone killed the guest conductor for the annual music festival's final performance, pos
Lisa
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent choice for a kitty-themed mystery in my Women of Mystery group! The mystery was solid and the characters were well crafted. Is it okay that my favorites were the kitties? My birthday is coming up, and guess what I'm asking for. No, not a kitty. Two kitties :)
Kevin
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Two cats in a small town “400 miles north of everywhere” with a literary protagonist, no it’s not the newspaper reporter Qwill from the Cat Who series, this is Kathleen the head librarian and her two magical cats.
The two series are really very much alike, with this series being given an edge for a decent mystery, The Cat Who series being better for the number of likable and quirky characters. But a cat fancier who enjoys a cozy mystery should enjoy this novel.

1st read 2012, re-read
terpkristin
Audiobook from Random House Audio
Narrated by Cassandra Campbell
Length: 10.5 hours

I enjoyed this book. It was a book almost written for me and my silly cat, Oz. It was exactly the type of book I needed after reading a lot of dark and sort of heavy fantasy and science fiction lately, to say nothing of real life. Curiosity Thrilled the Cat was a light murder mystery type book, the type of book I devour like popcorn. The book was fairly mainstream, though did have a fantastical element...
bella
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
CURIOSITY THRILLED THE CAT was one of those books that you hear about before release day, you get excited about it, buy it on release day and then it sits in your TBR pile. I was so excited when I heard about CURIOSITY THRILLED THE CAT that I raced to the bookstore and bought it. Of course it then spent quite a few months in the ever-growing reading well. Well lately I've had a bit of a reading slump and I was eyeing my shelves and saw it sitting there. I thought I would give it a go. I thought ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat is a neat little murder mystery set in a small town where everybody knows everybody else's business, family and past. I didn't read the book summary before this and I can't be sure whether that made me like it more or not. I need to be in the right mood for this genre and this one hit that spot.

Our heroine is hired to oversee the restoration of the library and all kinds of weird things happen around her. The two cats living with her, Owen and Hercules, followe
Karen B.
This is the first book I have read in the series and I can tell I will be back for more. Kathleen Paulson has left her life in Boston, wanting to escape from a heartbreak when her boyfriend ends up marrying someone else. She comes to Mayville Heights Minnesota to be the new head librarian overseeing the restoration of the original library. When she first arrived she encountered a very old house which is apparently home to a colony of feral cats. Two of the kittens come out to see her and "adopt" ...more
Betsy
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat is the first book I have read written by Sofie Kelly. Right off the bat, you are laughing because the main character's cats are causing trouble (at least one of them is). This book is definitely for anyone who loves cats. She is masterful at describing their funny tendencies that make them cats. I just wanted to take Owen and Hercules home with me. This mystery actually has more substance than most cozies as well. I have already ordered more of this series. 4 stars
Kat, lover of bears...
Completely enjoyable cozy mystery that includes two "more than they seem" cats. The mystery was easy enough to figure out but not completely. It was a little difficult to keep track of some of the characters; Oren and Owen, Rebecca, Ruby and Roma, Gregor and Gordon.

The writing style combined with Hercules and Oren have me ready to start book 2.
Janet
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of chick-lit.
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat can be best described as a murder mystery that feels like light reading. The series title (Magical Cats) warned me in advance to suspend disbelief while the two feline heroes of the book demonstrated their amazing abilities.

I did, however, think the author should have given more thought to the naming of her characters. Owen is one of the protagonist's cats and Oren is one of the suspects. This reader had to concentrate too hard to keep the Owen/Oren duo str
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
What a delightful first in a series. I truly am a sucker for kitty cats in a novel, especially those in a cozy mystery who help their "person" ferret out clues to solve the murder. I said their person for a reason: a cat or kitten usually chooses his or her person. All of my cats have done so.

Meet Owen. He's a grey tabby who is addicted to Catnip. He has a knack of suddenly disappearing/reappearing. Meet Hercules. He's a stocky Tuxedo cat who loves Barry Manilow and dances with his owner to hi
Andree
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I haven't been reading much lately, but I needed something light tonight. Grabbed this from the library.

It amuses me that "Young woman (past heartbreak recommended but not required) who lives in a small town and has a fondness for cats, gets drawn into local murder, and develops a flirtation with the local detective," is becoming a mystery sub-genre. Because seriously.

(Vague hand-wavey magic, and the woman actually being the librarian, also optional. Kooky family required
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being a Library Assistant, I initially picked up Curiosity Thrilled the Cat because the main character, Kathleen, is a Librarian that moves to a small Minnesotan town after her life in Boston throws her a curve ball. Add in two adorable cats that remind me of my own, and I was hooked. This cozy mystery is packed with characters you instantly love, including Kathleen and her newfound friends in town who all scramble to solve a sudden murder, and her quirky cats who have a mystery of their own. I' ...more
Glen
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies, mystery, animals
First entry in a really good cozy. A librarian leaves Boston, her crazy family, and her unfaithful fiancee behind for the small town life in Minnesota. She takes in two rescue cats, who turn out to have magical powers.

Eventually, an unpleasant person is killed, and the usual super cop suspects one of the librarian's best friends. Sparks fly.

A very well done cozy, but I'm not sure I could go through life knowing my cats are smarter than I am.
Sally906
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story - loved the cats with magical (?) powers - but the whole story was very believable - even with the cats
Dixie Conley
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I don't want to give the impression that this was in any way a bad book. It's a decent book. I'm giving it three stars because it's average, not because it's bad. It's so average, it's formulaic.

This book is a murder mystery, set around a library, a librarian, a small town, a conductor and some cats. The cats purportedly have magic powers, something that plays much less of a role in the story than it should. I think that, if there were more about the cats, this might even have been a
Kirsti
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have read a number of cozy cat murder mystery type stories this year, and I was on the look out for this one. It was a random chance that lead me to a physical copy of this book; I went to a library sale that only had a small table of books; everything else was candles, knitting etc. I wasn't expecting it, but there it was! Another chance find leads to starting a new series.

Now in all honesty, there are probably better first books out there in similar series. This one doesn't give
Randee
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had heard some good things about this book/series but I suspected it might be 'too cutesy' what with magical cats. I ended up choosing this for a reading challenge in which I had to pick something from a club buddy's read list. I figured worst case scenario would be that it would be cheesy but that it would also be a quick read.

My suspicions were unfounded. Instead of 'cute' I found this charming. It was not beyond the pale and the author must have or have had cats because the two
Katie
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Katie by: Andree
This is going to be one of those reviews where it sounds like I didn't like the book as well as I did.

A lot of the clues were waaaay too obvious. Which isn't something I thought I cared about in mysteries! I don't care that much about being surprised by the outcome of the case (I like the ride and the characters), but these were like giant red flags. They weren't even red herrings! (That said, I didn't figure out the whole of the case.)

The cats were, um, cute and wonderfu
Berit☀️✨
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun start to acute series....

The cats on the cover of this book look just like mine, however they definitely have some powers that my cats do not possess, at least I don't think so.... Kathleen a librarian has just moved to Minnesota to start her life over and finds herself with 2 magical cats.... she also finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation.... I like the characters in this book, and I really like the fact that how Kathleen went about solving this mystery was fairl
Ian
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Nya Nya Jinx
After a visiting composer shows up dead sitting at his piano, the town's new librarian steps in to solve the crime. As she investigates with a little help from her two supernaturally gifted cats, the killer seems to be have turned his attention to her and she finds herself in something akin to a Buster Keaton movie...avoiding falling anvils and such.

Curiosity Thrilled the Cat isn't too bad. It's pretty typical of the genre but the supernatural cats promise to deliver something a little more than t
Nancy Haddock
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this series! The cats are too much fun, and Kathleen is an excellent sleuth in these multi-layered mysteries! Not entirely a paranormal mystery, but the cats add a great dollop of the woowoo element. Yes, I'm a Sofie Kelly fan for sure!
Sarah Booth
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It wasn’t bad but it needed a little editing help. We get it, kitty has a cat nip problem. But only tell us a couple of times, not 10. Otherwise it was a cute story with enough twists and red herrings to keep things interesting.
Kelcy
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Sofie Kelly's writing style and had fun with Hercules and Owen!

• The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
  • The Whole Cat and Caboodle (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • If Walls Could Talk (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #1)
  • Mind Over Murder (Raven's Nest, #1)
  • Skirting The Grave (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #4)
  • A Familiar Tail (Witch's Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • How to Wash a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery #1)
  • Haunting Jordan (Port Chatham Mystery #1)
Sofie Kelly is the pseudonym of young adult writer and mixed-media artist, Darlene Ryan. Sofie/Darlene lives on the east coast with her husband and daughter. In her spare time she practices Wu style tai chi and likes to prowl around thrift stores. And she admits to having a small crush on Matt Lauer.

She also writes as Sofie Ryan.

Magical Cats Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Trick (A Magical Cats Mystery, #4)
  • Final Catcall (A Magical Cats Mystery, #5)
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • Faux Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #7)
  • Paws and Effect (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8)
  • A Tale of Two Kitties (A Magical Cats Mystery, #9)
  • The Cats Came Back (A Magical Cats Mystery #10)
  • A Night's Tail (Magical Cats Mystery #11)
“You’d rather be known as the librarian who carries her cat in her gym bag?” she retorted.” 5 likes
“I’m not sure what I had been expecting; maybe some sort of slow fade-out, the way Alice’s Cheshire Cat had disappeared in Wonderland, until only its smile was left.” 0 likes