Delirity discussion

Author C > Mortal Instruments - C. Clare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 250 (250 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Heather (last edited May 27, 2014 03:10PM) (new)

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) here is my review of this book:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I look forward to discussing it with others when they are finished or still reading it is great too!

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I read this one a while ago and I think I am one of the few people that didn't care for it. I know this one has a lot of fans, but I am just not one of them. I didn't continue with the series.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm reading this right now, and I am in love with it! :)

message 5: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments That's too bad Darcy. The books do get better as they go, but if you really didn't like it, I wouldn't continue. I adore this series, and I think I will revamp it next month. I'm not sure I could stop at CoB, I'd probably do the whole series. :O

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Sometimes I am tempted to go back and try it again. Maybe if I run out of other things to read. :)

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I would definitely say that CoB was not the best one in the series but I still thought it was pretty good. The second one does get much better! I don't think I'll ever run out of things to read....

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
It got me hooked. It was one of the first YA books I read. It got me interested in the whole YA genre.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It is really surprising how many really good YA books there are out there and how they don't necessarily read as YA.

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I feel that a lot of YA books seem like adult books too. Especially The Book Thief.

message 11: by Heather (new)

I waited to buy this when the box set came out. It's cheaper that way when you use borders coupons. I still have them all wrapped up, but I think I might open them to reread them. I liked that I wasn't quiet sure what was going on before it happened. I loved that there was a mix of different paranormal types.

message 12: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I got the box set from bn.com :)

This is my review of the book-

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I LOVED THIS BOOK! This series is probably one of my favorites! I can't wait to read the second :)

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) Jasmine-I just love your excitement over this book! It just makes me want to go re-read the book myself!

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments lol :)
I get really hyper about books that I love =]]

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I feel kinda bad for Simon. He has been there for Clary all this time and has feelings for her but he's kinda left out in the cold.

message 16: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Yea, I know what you mean. I really do like Simon :) He's a great friend, but I don't want him and Clary together...I want him to find someone he really loves, that isn't Clary.
It's kinda like how I feel about Jacob. I love both Jacob and Simon but I don't want them to be together with Bella and Clary, respectively...I wish them utter happiness and I would so date either one (;]) but I really like Bella and Edward and Clary and Jace. (Though I like Clary and Jace's relationship a lot more then Bella and Edward's.)
Sorry for comparing CoB to Twilight, but my feelings are the same for Simon and Jacob :)
I hope that made sense..hm..

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) Totally get where your coming from. that probably is the best way to describe it. Just wait till you read the second one and you see what happens with Simon....

message 18: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 27, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments =O lol, I really want to read the second one right now but I'm going on a 6 hour road trip with my family to check out the college my brother is going to, so I'm saving City of Ashes for the trip :) That might help me successfully block out my family :)

****SPOILER*** Page 441

and I know that they get "closer" because of the summary, and I guess I won't mind as much as I did when Jacob sexually assaulted Bella...because technically Jace is Clary's brother (though I still think by the end they will be together) so it's not like they can exactly start dating...and Simon is pretty cool :) And also, I think Clary may like Simon "that way" at least a little bit...I guess I'll just have to read and see =D

***END OF SPOILER***

6 hours later edit- I have given up on trying to read a book besides City of Ashes :) I was reading a part of Need and all I could think about were Jace and Clary =/

message 19: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Lol. I couldn't read anything else either.

Jasmine, can you please put a spoiler before the big reveal? I think Heather wanted us to do it where we put the page # the spoiler is at so people will know whether or not they can read it. So far everybody that has posted in this thread has read the book, but there are probably others reading it and we don't want to ruin the book for them. :)

message 20: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Done :), ahah I forgot about that, my bad =]

message 21: by Heather (new)

When the month is up I'm going to turn this into a series read so you can discuss the other two books.

message 22: by Jasmine (last edited Mar 05, 2010 07:29PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqYSKx...

^ That's a really good fan-made video about City of Bones/The Mortal Instruments in general. THERE IS A SPOILER IN IT SO DONT WATCH IT UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK!!!!!!!!

message 23: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i absolutely loved this book well actually the whole series as the characters where believable and just fell in love with them and the story

message 24: by Heather (new)

I think what I liked about this series was that there was a mix of the paranormal in an interesting YA setting. There's a little of all your favorite species.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 4 comments I love this book... I love this whole series! It's one of my favorites. We are reading City of Bones in my in person book club, and I'm anxious for next month to see what the other members think about it. :)

message 26: by Heather (new)

Okay, since most of you have already talked about the first book, I changed the title so you can now discuss the rest of the series.

I'm curious to know which book was your favorite?

message 27: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments City of Glass!!!!!!!! <3 I can picture it like some kick a$$ movie, lol.

Although, I have to say one of my favorite chapters was the Seelie Court in CoA. I'm sure those of you that have read it know why. ;)

message 28: by Jasmine (last edited Mar 22, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahah I LOVED that part too <3 I was so glad that Clary messed up!

It's so hard to chose my favorite book in the series, since I love them all so much, and I have favorite parts in all of them. I may have to say City of Bones is my favorite. :) I simply adored the part where Jace and Clary are in the garden in the Institution. I literally had a face-splitting grin on my face when I was reading that, I think my friend though I was high. :)

Oh, and I just want to say that I think Clare handled the entire series amazingly. With other series I feel that the ending books aren't as good as the beginning ones, or that the endings are anti-climatic. (For example, Twilight and Harry Potter) I thought City of Glass was amazing, and I loved how she ended the series. Well actually CoG isn't that last book in the series..but it kind of felt like everything wrapped up perfectly.

message 29: by Heather (new)

City of Glass was my least fav. I loved most of it, but it's the only book I got bogged down in (at some point where they're in the government building) even if it was only for a few pages. I think I liked City of Ashes the best. It bridged the beginning and the end very well.

***Spoiler***

Was it during this one when Simon "changes"?

message 30: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Heather wrote: "City of Glass was my least fav. I loved most of it, but it's the only book I got bogged down in (at some point where they're in the government building) even if it was only for a few pages. I think..."

It was during City of Ashes =)

message 31: by Heather (new)

That's what I though, but i didn't want to be wrong. I thought that part was funny.

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela B Love Love Love Loved this series!

message 33: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Angela wrote: "Love Love Love Loved this series!"

SAME! The Mortal Instruments is my favorite series ever, at least for now. :)

message 34: by Angela (new)

Angela B hmmm my favorite ever is still the Anita Blake series but this sure beat a few others off my list :)
I have only read the first book but I think Uglies may be climbing it's way up the list too

message 35: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I have read Uglies and Pretties, but I couldn't bring myself to read Specials. I found Uglies and Pretties okay, but I didn't love them, and at parts I got really bored with them. I'm planning to re-read them soon and see if my opinion has changed or not.

message 36: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) I really liked the story in this series but got bogged down at times with Clare's descriptions. I remember in one scene she took two paragraphs to describe a room that the characters were in for mere moments.

message 37: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Why don't you like Clary?? =/

message 38: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I read all three of these earlier this year and found myself to be slightly disappointed in them. I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style and found the author dragged some parts of the story on a little longer then needed. But on the other hand I had a few parts where I was so gripped by the writing that I couldn't put it down.

SPOILER AHEAD***

Two which moments of fabulous writing in my opinion were when Jace told the story of his father giving him the hunting bird. Truly sad and cruel. As well as the 'werewolf's tale'. That entire chapter was exceptionally written.

The thrid book in the series was it's only saving grace. It was the best written in my opinion but seemed final to me and I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I want to keep reading the series from here on in. It just seems that anything else from here might seemed forced. Then again maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. Who Knows?!

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I am so excited that Clare is writing more books! I feel like she'll do a good job and I'm definitely going to buy them all.

message 40: by Heather (new)

It was just suppose to be a trilogy so I'm not sure where the next books are going to go. I was confused when I found out there would be more.

message 41: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments The original books were supposed to be Clary's story and I guess the new (at least CoFA) is supposed to be mostly Simon's. At least that is what Cassie said when she announced it at the chat. That was shortly after CoG came out, so things could have changed.

message 42: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments The next three books won't be about Simon mostly. I don't remember what Clare said all that well because I went to her signing in mid-August I believe, but she said that if you think about it the first three books aren't mostly about Clary. There are chapters from other characters point of views also, and that's how the upcoming books will be I think. She explained it a lot better, but I know she said that they won't be only/mostly Simon.

This is what is on her site:

"1) "Since City of Fallen Angels was supposed to be mostly about Simon, are these latter two books also mostly about Simon?"

No, and honestly it never occurred to me anyone would think that or I would have made a special point of mentioning it in the chat! Yes, when I first proposed City of Fallen Angels to my publisher, it was going to center more around Simon. That was the plan. What I think I didn't get across during the chat is that as I sat down to write CoFA, and realized it was a much bigger story than I had thought, the focus shifted off Simon and more onto the rest of the characters. Magnus and Alec, who orginally were not going to be in the book at all, now have a major role to play. Clary and Jace have a central role to play. That stuff about Simon leaving town? Not happening; the major action takes place in NYC. While I did try to preserve a strong plotline for Simon, in which he is more than an adjunct to the larger drama surrounding Jace and Clary, it would now be very misleading to refer to it as "Simon's book" or indicate that it is mainly about him. It is not."

message 43: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Ah, see I have been trying to stay way from authors sites lately, so I missed that.

***Minor Spoiler*** for CoFA

I know that originally in CoFA Jace and Clary were supposed to have some major problems and possibly break up. I can't remember how it was worded exactly.

message 44: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments How do you know what's supposed to happen in it if it's not even out yet?

I don't mind if they do go through problems and stuff, as long as by the end of the book everything is better. :)

message 45: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I have my ways, lol. Cassie could have changed it since then, but it doesn't sound like it. I imagine everything will be fine once the book (or books maybe) nears it's end.

message 46: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. I ended up liking this series. The first book I thought was the weakest and each book got better as the series went on.

message 47: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments Ok, just read City of Bones and definitely loved it. I already ordered the next one from the library so I am avoiding all of the spoilers in this post.

Hoping they do not try to force a relationship with Clary and Simon.

message 48: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments Just finished and I thought it was a great YA series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Are you going to read Clockwork Angel or did you do it backward and read CA first? I can't remember who said they read CA before MI first recently.

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments I have CA requested at the library so hopefully I will get it soon. I really like Clare as an author. Does she write PNR books too or just YA stuff?

« previous 1 3 4 5