Start by marking “Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)

Red Glove (Curse Workers #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  19,128 Ratings  ·  1,752 Reviews
CURSES AND CONS.
MAGIC AND THE MOB.

In Cassel Sharpe's world, they go together. Cassel always though he was an ordinary guy, until he realized his memories were being manipulated by his brothers. Now he knows the truth - he's the most powerful curse worker around. A touch of his hand can transform anything - or anyone - into something else.

That was how Lila, the girl he love
Hardcover, First Edition, 327 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Red Glove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Glove

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,156 books — 7,122 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Can't Wait Books For 2011
1,220 books — 6,872 voters

More lists with this book...

Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-series
Before I start: shout out to my Reading Buddy. He didn't really get the plot but he certainly enjoyed snuggling while I read.
description
Cassel Sharpe comes from a family of criminal Curseworkers.
Curseworkes tend to have dominion of six powers - luck, memory, strength, emotions, death, and (rarest of all) transfiguration.

Since their powers are curses, every time one of them use it, they experience a backlash.

Stacia (the 2010 club)
First things first : Let's get the Jace from Mortal Instruments cameo in this book out of the way. Here it is -

"That stoner dude, Jace, says he hooked up with someone over the summer," Kevin whispers. "But I hear all the pictures he's showing around are really pictures of his half sister. Fifty bucks says there's no girlfriend."

Why am I always recommending the lesser known series? Why is it that some of the crappiest books become the most popular? How is this changed? The only way I know of to f
Vi Vi
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review:

First off, I need to reiterate that it saddens me to no end, to every end that Holly Black is not only a fangirl of Cassandra Claire, but, due to her fangirlism, unleashed Cassandra Clare and her shitty, melodramatic, poorly written, derivative hackish tripe upon the reading community. But what saddens me even more is that after giving Clare her big break, Clare, now practically an egomaniac of Meyer or Rice proportions, has gone on to be a much bigger name and far more successful despite
Emily May
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it

Hmm. I'm not sure if it was the high of book one - White Cat - that made this sequel so disappointing but, whatever the reason, I really struggled to get into this one. The story became too involved with many subplots that failed to affect me in any way, stuff like: Sam and Daneca's relationship, Cassel's mother's annoying behaviour, campaigns for worker rights, and Cassel's run-in with two federal agents who are determined to make him work for them.

It wasn't bad enough that I won't read Black
Limonessa
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Holly Black has taken a steady place among my favorite authors ever and she is perhaps THE favorite in paranormal YA.
You think she writes about vampires? Nah.
Shapeshifters? Hardly.
Angels? Nope.
Nephilims? Nuh-uh.
Are there mean girls? Jocks? Cheerleaders? Love triangles? Instalove? No, no, no, no and no.
Then she CANNOT possibly write paranormal YA.

Yet, she does.
She writes about curse workers. People, living in an alternate version of our society, very much like ours, where peopl
Tatiana
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, urban-fantasy
As seen on The Readventurer

Glad to report that my my new, unexpected and surprising love affair with Holly Black continues. YES!

I approached Red Glove with trepidation, because a few of my book soulmate type friends, whose opinions I rely on, were not very positive about this sequel. But I, thankfully, saw nothing wrong with it. Red Glove is completely on par with its predecessor.

So, Cassel is back in school after spending a few months with his conartist mom who curses and charms every rich and
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys books that twist and turn unpredictably
I've been sitting here for an hour trying to figure out what to say about this book in a review. Last summer, I read White Cat (the book prior to this one) and found myself enthralled by a world of curses, crime, and cons -- and at the center of the book was Cassel, a boy who couldn't decide between truth and lie, fact and fiction, good and evil, white and black.

It turned out that Cassel was as dichotomous as they come, gray to his core, doing bad things even if he has good reasons for them. He
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
The smell of Lila's skin, the way her eyes shine with mischief, the low rasp of her voice. It hurts to think of her, but I can't stop. It ought to hurt.
After all, hell is supposed to be hot.

Hmmm. Well, I just have to say it-If you, for whatever reason, have to put a book on pause and you come back to it and feel like you are still strongly a part of that book's world...then you have an excellent book in your hands, Folks. I have had a busy few weeks, book wise. Blog tour, catching up on a favo
Emma
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like urban fantasy and YA, you can’t go wrong with this series. This book was great and my inner teen loved it! The magic system is really well thought out and Cassell and his friends are interesting characters. My heart goes out to Cassell in this book as he has a lot to contend with. Recommended book. Recommended series.
Catie
I feel like I have very little to say about this book. I liked reading it, but it didn’t inspire me to great heights of joy or disappointment. I like this one a bit less than the first, but that may just be because everything was brand new and exciting in White Cat, and I have to admit that my expectations were low. I will definitely get Black Heart from the library next year, but I don’t feel any desperate yearning for it.

I think that my favorite part of this book is that Cassel’s mother is out
Ian
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cat loving gangsters.
Recommended to Ian by: Stacia (the 2010 club)
4.5 Stars

At the same time Cassel discovered he was one of the rarest and most powerful curse-workers, he also discovered his family had been deceiving him for many years. Now with his secret out both criminals and feds want him on their side. But choosing sides has to be put on hold until he can figure out who murdered his brother.

Red Glove is a better book than the first in the series, White Cat. It flows much better and isn't nearly as cumbersome. Holly Black has found her stride in book two
Bark
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
I’ll state right off that I have a fondness for the way Holly Black writes and may be biased towards her books. I adored Tithe for many of the reasons people despise it. Black’s characters are not whiny ass pansies, they have dark edges and do questionable things, they’re never perfect and I find her books intoxicating because of it.

Red Glove is the sequel to White Cat which you must read first if you’re going to read the series. It picks up pretty much where White Cat left off and begins with
Caitlin
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5-maybe a 5. I'm too scared to "5" it.

Holy mother of fuckin' God. Is it 2012 yet?

I enjoyed White Cat. A messed up mob family set in a magic realism America, with a male lead who's narrative isn't just incredibly witty and humorous, but moving--I couldn't not have liked it. So, I waited for the sequel patiently. I hadn't even looked at the summary blurb till I bought it.

Well, Red Glove blew White Cat out of the water. No--ocean. Earth. The universe. Dimension. Maybe it just annihilated it. Poof
C.G. Drews
Oh. my. GOSH. I just love Holly Black's books so so so much right now. I JUST NEED TO SCREAM ABOUT HOW GOOD THIS SERIES IS, OKAY?!! It's completely underrated!! Why has not everyone read it??! Why are you still here reading this review? GO READ THE SERIES! OMG! GO! GO!
description

Red Glove is as amazing as White Cat. It totally lives up to it's older sibling, although, to be honest, I did love WHITE CAT the most. But I think it just blew me out of the water with sheer awesomeness, while RED GLOVE maintaine
♥Rachel♥
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
***If you haven’t read White Cat, DO NOT read any further. SPOILERS ahead****

Red Glove
picks up after Cassel finds out his whole life, and memories have been a lie constructed by his crooked brothers and well-meaning mother.

You’d think that finding out you’re the rarest form of Curse Workers would be wonderful but unfortunately, this just multiplies Cassel’s problems when both the mob and government want to get their hooks into him. When a family member is murdered, the feds put big-time pressu
tonya.
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
As usual, I was late to the Holly Black bandwagon. I read White Cat Monday night and (my fingers) practically sprinted to the (kindle) bookstore (on Amazon) to pick up Red Glove. I'm officially hooked.

I'm in awe of Black's world building. It was so seamless; there were no clunky info dumps or distracting back stories. The history of the curse workers was incorporated into the context of the story in such a way that I felt as though I knew it rather than learned it. (If that makes any sense at al
Tina
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tina by: Maria
Shelves: gifts, 2015, ya, fantasy
I read the first book in the Curse Workers series more than a year ago, so it took me a while to get into Red Glove. I had to resist the urge to browse through the first book because I was under time pressure to read this, and also because I want to see if I would be smart enough to figure out all the cons since the Curse Worker novels are essentially con novels. :P

I'm not going to talk about the story in this review to avoid the spoilers for the first book (and it's more fun to see it unfold on
Esra
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
bu kitabı bitirmeye çalışmaktansa...

Photobucket
Flannery
I want Jesse Eisenberg to read me more books.
Helen
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as book one but I enjoyed the narration. Cassel is still trying to deal with his magic and survive the fall out. At times this became a little too YA.
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
[Review to come]
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
What a great sequel!! I absolutely love Holly's writing. She creates such a vivid world and makes me not only fall for Cassel but I end up loving the characters she's created no matter how broken or messed up they are. If they were written in another fashion or were in a different story they would have bothered me, but Holly has a way of just "going for it" with her characters that I like.

Oh Cassel. Can this boy be any more broken? If you thought Jace was broken in City of Ashes, wait till you
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is very much what I had hoped the first book would be--the struggle to define, understand, and find morality in the application of power while surrounded by people who mean you harm. Things are truly complicated for Cass as pressure mounts on all sides, but this pressure is not without relief as he struggles to find happiness with the (very few) friends he has come to trust.

I was going to declare spoilers for the first book and go on about some of the details, but I think I'll just skip all
Crystal
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I have a new rule. In January I told myself that if the first book in a series is not good then I will not continue on with the rest but of course I didn't stick with that and I very glad that I didn't. So my new rule is give a series at least 2 books, then decided if it is worth it. I have ended up liking at least 4 series this way. The second book seems to seal the deal for me. This book is no exception it is so much better than the first imo. I don't know if it is because I knew what to expec ...more
Mar Que
Я не люблю писать рецензии на вторые книги в серии. Потому что они слишком сильно привязаны к первой и последней частям своей серии, и оценивать их как нечто отдельное и самостоятельное крайне сложно. "The Curse Workers" в этом плане сильно выделяется. "Красная Перчатка" является прямым продолжением "Белой Кошки", но у нее есть свой индивидуальный конфликт, который развивается именно в этой части.
Кассель Шарп - один из самых интересных книжных протагонистов в истории. Ты чувствуешь определенную
Katya
Cross-posted with my tumblr.

I never thought I would give a Curse Workers book a rating lower than four stars. Guess you just live and learn.

But the really funny thing is, there isn't anything wrong with the book itself. Cassel is starting his senior year and dealing with the fallout from the previous books' events: (view spoiler)
Morgan F
Up until a few months ago, Cassel Sharpe has spent his whole life feeling ordinary and inferior in a family full of powerful workers. Now he knows the truth: he is the most powerful of them all. He is able to transform anything- including people- into anything else with a single touch of his hand. Cassel is still struggling to extract the truth from a life-time of lies when the Feds come to Cassel with the news that his eldest brother, a notorious hitman, has been murdered, and they need Cassel ...more
Simona Bartolotta
"You were always good, Cassel," he says as he closes the door. "No idea how you turned out that way -you just did."

Yeah, I think time has come for me to deal with the crush I have for this guy here. I'm helpless, and the funny thing is that I thought it couldn't get worse than it was when I finished the first book -and then what? Turns out it could.

“You're like this leopard who's pretending to be a house cat.”

After all, I wouldn't say it's all my fault, either. Cassel is one of the most intrigui
Reading Teen
Ok, so I really like this series a lot! It's just SO different than anything else out there!! If you read my review of White Cat, you may remember that I had a hard time getting into it at first. This is not the case with Red Glove. I loved every minute of it. I've always been a big fan of mobster movies, and I'm also a huge fan of paranormals, so this series is perfect because it combines the two.

This book starts out where White Cat left off. It jumps right into the swing of things, immediatel
Kristalia
Final rating: 1/5 stars
DNF - dropped it around 5th chapter.

I am officially dropping the series, it has been to painful to read this one. I expected so much more, but all i got were annoying (especially main) characters and not so good story. I really tried to like this series, i really did, and i was so hyped to read the books, but i just couldn't finish it, even if it is short book. Mostly it was dropped due to lack of interest.

I also don't like not finishing books, so this makes my first.

s
So... What did you think? Was it better than the first? Vise versa? 20 110 May 26, 2014 06:24PM
Young Adult Book ...: Red Glove (book 2) 4 23 Sep 19, 2013 10:08AM
Addicted to YA: Red Glove 17 79 Aug 05, 2012 08:09AM
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Chime
  • Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)
  • Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2)
  • The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Ascendant (Killer Unicorns, #2)
  • Nightspell (Mistwood, #2)
  • The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3)
  • The Space Between
  • Cryer's Cross
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Fury of the Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #2)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more
More about Holly Black

Curse Workers (3 books)
  • White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The truth is messy. It's raw and uncomfortable. You can't blame people for preferring lies.” 406 likes
“Changing is what people do when they have no options left.” 390 likes