2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

. Week 5: Number in Title > Week 5: Progress Post

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessyjolly88) Happy February!

We are halfway done with Week 5! I hope everything is going well. :) This discussion thread is solely for your progress. (Book discussions go in individual threads.)

What did you read this week?

How did you choose this book?
(recommendations, web search, etc..)

Did you enjoy it?
(feel free to link to your book review)

Would you recommend this title?

message 2: by Monique (new)

Monique | 34 comments What did you read this week? One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) It's a book that's been on my to read list for ages.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review) I really, really wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't get into it. The further I read the more I thought it was dragged out. I think it would have been a brilliant book if each generation was split out, but then it wouldn't make sense as 100 Years of Solitude.

Would you recommend this title? Unfortunately I wouldn't.

message 3: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments What did you read this week?
The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey

It's a required reading for school, so I thought I'd hit two birds with one stone.

Did you enjoy it?
I did! I rated it 4 stars and reviewed it, too.

I would to people who are into self-help.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy What did you read this week? Once in a Blue Moon by Leanna Ellis

How did you choose this book? It was on my bookshelf. I had picked up it off of a sale table.

Did you enjoy it? I did enjoy it.

Would you recommend this title? Yes!

Cait the Bookish Bansídhe (bookishbansidhe) What did you read this week? Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre

How did you choose this book? My parents own an independent mystery genre bookstore and my father recommended it to me a few years ago. I saw it on my shelf and it was the only book I have with me right now with a number in the title.

Did you enjoy it? Yes! It's quite good, but my dad has never steered me wrong before. It's engrossing, a book I didn't want to put down, and it's funny to boot.

Would you recommend this title? I would! It's not for the squeamish or people who hate cursing though.

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie What did you read this week?
Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins. In my quest to catch up, I also completed Outlander for Week 1 and started Atonement for Week 3.

It [JOotG] has been on my TBR shelf for a while. Higgins is a popular author who is frequently recc'ed, so I've picked up several of her books when they've been on sale. This was the first I've read.

Did you enjoy it?
Eh, not really. I enjoyed aspects of it; it was funny, and I liked the MC's large, rowdy family. I just disliked the main male character, and I thought it failed as a romance. I would have liked it more if Higgins had not given them a Happily Ever After, though I realize it wouldn't be a romance then. I wish it had ended several chapters before it really did.

Would you recommend it?
No, I don't think so.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina (tjlich) Hi!

What did you read this week? I am reading "Four: A Divergent Story" and I am just about finished with it. It's a mini series/Novella

How did you choose this book? I loved Divergent and wanted to hear more of Tobias's thoughts.

Did you enjoy it? So far, it's had some good and bad parts. The first story of the series had zero originality. It followed almost the same patterns and events as Beatrice's character at the time of her Choosing Ceremony. But some of the other stories really piqued my interest in places.

Would you recommend this title? Sure, if you enjoyed the Divergent series. It's short so it's not as if it can be too much of a waste of time either way. A few things are revealed in these short stories which explain things that the Divergent series reader would never have found out otherwise. I enjoyed that part most about these short books.

message 8: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads Jessica wrote: "Happy February!

We are halfway done with Week 5! I hope everything is going well. :) This discussion thread is solely for your progress. (Book discussions go in individual threads.)

What did you..."

Jessica wrote: "Happy February!

What did you..."

Well, I was supposed to finish The Museum of Extraordinary Things, but I am still working my way through it, I'm a bit behind! I really like the writing so far.

message 9: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) What did you read this week? Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

How did you choose this book? Orwell is a writer my sister loved who I have never actually read anything from. It's been on my TBR for ages now and this seemed the perfect opportunity to get around to it!

Did you enjoy it? Yes! It's dark and deep. It's not a new favourite but it's certainly one that's going to stick with me. There's a full review at my blog: https://ashleighmuses.wordpress.com/2...

Would you recommend this title? I think it's one of those books that you should read in your lifetime so yes.

message 10: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) What did you read this week?

100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith

I've read the author before, so I found it on my TBR.

Did you enjoy it?

Yes, it was funny and poignant. It was a good YA read.

I would recommend it to teen boys and others that like YA and don't mind a lot of "guy humor". I'm a just retired high school librarian and still have some YA authors I love to read and Andrew Smith is one of them.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments What did you read this week? Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) I'm trying to read more of the classics (particularly those that are available for free on the Kindle) so I just went with the first one that jumped out of me and I'd seen it one someone else's list so knew I'd have someone to discuss it with me.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review) I'm nearly at the end but I'm kind of drawing it out so I can finish it tomorrow and I'm not without a book while I'm out of the house. I got through the first half dead quickly but I've slowed down since. It's very funny in places but some of the descriptions about technical stuff and fish are a bit lost on me.

Would you recommend this title? Yes. It is very funny in places, a wonderful dry sense of humour. It's the second of Jules Verne's books that I've read and I'd definitely recommend him as an author.

message 12: by Subtle Bookworm (new)

Subtle Bookworm (subtle-bookworm) | 4 comments i read The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho. i love His books After 3 reads i always pick a Paulo Coelhi's book and it is the only one i had not read from my TBR. i enjoyed it alot.i would definitely recommend this to anyone ♡

message 13: by Michele (last edited Feb 03, 2015 12:28PM) (new)

Michele (micheleleann) I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

I decided to try to use this challenge as a way to get through as many of my paper books as possible so I could get rid of them before I move next year. I only had two titles that had numbers and the other one was in the middle of a series.

I did enjoy it. At times I got a little lost, but the overall message was a really important one that I think everyone should read. So yes I would definitely recommend it.

message 14: by Cris (new)

Cris (cris_lectora) What did you read this week? The Five People You Meet in Heaven

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) I looked through other people's choices and this looked interesting.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review) Not really. I didn't find it at all interesting https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Would you recommend this title? Since it's not very long, if you think the topic sounds appealing, you can give it a try. However, if you don't find it interesting withing the first 20 pages, you can quit. It doesn't really gets better.

message 15: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Warren Reading The Crying of Lot 49 this week. Chose it because I never got around to reading it until now. I am enjoying it, but like all of Pynchon's work, it takes time and you have to keep a "free flowing" sort of mind and not take things quite so linear. But as a book and a piece of satire, it is really great. Highly recommend.

message 16: by Kirin (new)

Kirin What did you read this week?
Child 44

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..)
Read his latest book The Farm and while reading it, I looked up to see what else the author had written (I find it impossible not to add books to my TBR list while reading). Although, I didn't end up loving The Farm, his trilogy sounded right up my alley, so I was willing to give him another chance. Happy I did.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review)
Loved it! Have already read the second in the series.

Yes, I've already recommended the book to my dad who loves mysteries, especially those set in other countries. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys mysteries, spy novels and books set during the Soviet Union.

message 17: by Lora (new)

Lora (misplacedselchie) | 347 comments What did you read this week? Fahrenheit 451

How did you choose this book? I hadn't read it yet and figured better late than never!

Did you enjoy it? I thoroughly enjoyed it! I actually read it in one sitting. Haven't had a chance to write a review though.

Would you recommend this title? Yes! This is a MUST read for everyone! Some parts sound uncannily like our own time

message 18: by Luisa (new)

Luisa (deborahluisa) What did you read this week? I read The Revenge of Seven by Pittacus Lore

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) Well, i already read the books before this one and this was the one missing to keep on track with this amazing series.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review) Yes, i did. This is one of my favorites series. This is a very underrated series, most people don't give enough credit to it. It is also a particular case where each new book of the series gets better! (what happen mostly is the first book of a series is awesome and the sequence not so much. Not in this case).

Would you recommend this title? Not only this title, but the entirely series. But don't go for the movie. The movie is awful and painful.

message 19: by Erika (last edited Feb 05, 2015 08:38AM) (new)

Erika Jade wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "What did you read this week? Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

How did you choose this book? Orwell is a writer my sister loved who I have never ac..."

I'm having a hard time getting into this one, I'm still only a few chapters in. I'm a little disappointed because I picked it cause it's a quintessential dystopia and I love dystopian fiction.

message 20: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments I read Ready Player One, for this week. It was recommended to me by someone on this site, I enjoyed it and it is very much out of my normal reading genre. I also read Three Wishes, it is buy one of my favorite authors and I enjoyed it very much.:-) And going back through a lot of my post I realize I use the word enjoy way too much ;-)

message 21: by Michelle (last edited Feb 09, 2015 11:42AM) (new)

Michelle Winchester This week I read Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I actually planned to read Janet Evanovich at first, but then someone in one of the discussions here mentioned Slaughterhouse-Five and I couldn't get it out of my head.

I chose this book because of Supernatural, which is rather a dumb reason, but I'm glad it happened, because I would never read it if I didn't know it's one of the characters' favourite book :).

I liked the book a lot, as you can read in my review here.

I would not recommend it to everybody. I don't think some people would enjoy it, because it's really...different. I would recommend it if you like stories about WWII, sci-fi or absurd drama. Or if you just like reading books that are a little out there :).

message 22: by QS (new)

QS (yodepalma) | 42 comments This week I've been reading 1984. I haven't quite finished it yet (I'm going to finish it when I get off the computer), but I've been mostly enjoying it so far. It's been kind of a rough week for me because I spent the weekend mostly sleeping and I haven't been able to read on the bus like I should be doing. Oh well. I'll review it when I do actually finish it though. :)

message 23: by Busy (new)

Busy | 65 comments I read the first two physical, paper pages of 84, Charing Cross Road last Thursday and then started reading the audiobooks of Ape House (can be used for non-human characters) and then Twilight (bad reviews, love triangle, set in high school, and technically non-human characters). I thought I would hate it but I didn't! This week has taught me I have to make time when I plan on reading a paper book since I can't multi-task. I plan to read it this weekend and then start on next week 's book (also paper- I do own the Science- for Her! audiobook but all the hilarious visuals are lost)

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyblakeney) | 7 comments Jane and the 12 Days of Christmas by Stephabie Barron.
I would recommend to those who are enjoying this series of Jane Austen mysteries.

message 25: by Territadlock06 (new)

Territadlock06 | 20 comments Two for the dough, was my read for this week. I read book one in this series in the challenge last year, waiting for a reason to read book two. I enjoy this series, it has mystery and a little humour.
I would recommend this to every one.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (bibliophrenia) | 112 comments What did you read this week? 1st to Die by James Patterson

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) Honestly, I was looking for a thriller by a well-known writer in the genre. A lot of books written by the main authors are in series. I picked this one because it was one of the few first books available on OverDrive.

Did you enjoy it? No, not really. The main character was whiny and sexist. The bad guy was unlikeable. The love story was just meh, partially because I was not a fan of the main character. I did get into the story after the first reveal, but that says more about my love of stories (in general).

Would you recommend this title? No. The characters aren't likeable and the story is mediocre.

message 27: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
What did you read this week?
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

It was on the Goodreads Choice Awards and it has a number in the title :p

Difficult question. It was not what I expected (it's really serious so I read it a lot slower than usual), it was slow paced and I had big troubles with the several torture scenes. However, the story is well written, in a surprise nonfiction way, the society of loopers is unusual and the book encourages you to think deeply about the decisions you make for your life.
I enjoyed the last 30% and found the first 70% interesting.

I don't think so, except if you want something different (and very serious) in the time loop genre.

message 28: by Marah (new)

Marah (eyreo) What did you read this week? For One More Day by Mitch Albom

How did you choose this book? I love all of his other books that I've read so I figured I would give this a chance.

Did you enjoy it? I did like it. It was an easy read and insightful.

Would you recommend this title? I would!

message 29: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments What did you read this week? Four: A Divergent Story Collection

How did you choose this book? Because I am reading the Divergent series and I thougth could be interesting read a little about Four's past.

Did you enjoy it? Yes, I enjoyed, it has some clarifications of the story and a big spoiler for Insurgent if you have not read it, however it felt like reading again the first chapters of Divergent.

Would you recommend this title? Just to a Divergent fan.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Harding | 35 comments What did you read this week? The 39 Steps

How did you choose this book? - it was free on Amazon and 'a classic' (I think I'm done with classics)

Did you enjoy it? It was an easy, mercifully short read but rather boring

Would you recommend this title? No

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily I've been falling a little behind in my reading (too many side books), but I finally got around to this Week's book!

What did you read this week? Two Boys Kissing

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) This was very highly rated by a friend who I often get book ideas from - we worked together at a book store years ago.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review) I did enjoy it! It's a really quick read, too, I just didn't get a chance to start it until now. Here's my review

Would you recommend this title? Not to everyone, but anyone who enjoys GLBT young adult books would probably like it. I highly recommend it for gay teens, though.

message 32: by EllenZReads (new)

EllenZReads I was reading "Catch22" but gave up after a few chapters...just couldn't get into it at all. It's one I skipped over in high school so I thought I should read it.

message 33: by Andreea (new)

Andreea | 23 comments What did you read this week?
I'e read 1984 by George Orwell

Since I've read Animal Farm, almost a year ago, I've loved Orwell's style and I wanted to read 1984. This challange gave me the oportunity.

Yes, I enjoyed it. It was one of the strangest books I've ever read. I don't really know what to say about it. It's just too real the way it ends...And it's so sad.

Yes, to anyone.

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 225 comments What did you read this week? Ready Player One

How did you choose this book? I had been wanted to read it for a while as I had heard people raving about it.

Did you enjoy it? No

Would you recommend this title? Not really. Maybe the movie will work better as things won't be explained, but shown visually.

message 35: by Jenna (new)

Jenna What did you read this week?
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller by Joseph Heller

I've had it sitting on my shelf for some time now!

Yes! I thought it was amazing. One of my new favorites. Here is my review.

Highly recommend!

message 36: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 115 comments What did you read this week?
Every Fifteen Minutes

How did you choose this book? I receive updates about books that come out and I knew this book was getting ready to come out so I skipped week 5 so I could have this book ready.

Did you enjoy it? Yes, it was great!

Would you recommend this title? Yes!

message 37: by Keri (last edited May 26, 2015 06:43AM) (new)

Keri  | 92 comments What did you read this week? Thirty-Four and a Half Predicaments

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) It is the newest book in the Rose Gardner Series

I am still currently reading it but all the books in this series are great!

Definitely!! Along with all of Denise Grover Swanks other books. She is one of my favorite authors!

message 38: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments What did you read this week? I read The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line

How did you choose this book? I've been a huge Veronica Mars fan for years. Loved the show, then the movie when that came out so when I heard they were releasing books they were immediately added to my to-read list!

Did you enjoy it? I loved it!

Would you recommend this title? Very highly recommend it to fans of the show and the movie, probably wouldn't recommend it to people who haven't watched either as there's a lot of backstory and references in the books to things that have happened that they'd miss out on.

message 39: by Jody (last edited Oct 15, 2015 04:12AM) (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments What did you read this week? 30 Days in Sydney: A Wildly Distorted Account

How did you choose this book? It's been in Calibre (my Kindle organising software) for ages, and starting with a number it's towards the top - it made it an easy choice for me, as I also felt like reading something Australian.

Did you enjoy it? No. It was a misogynistic sausage-fest with few redeeming features. That said, I still want to read his more lauded books - Oscar and Lucinda & True History of the Kelly Gang.

Would you recommend this title? No.

message 40: by Christi (new)

Christi What did you read this week?> Six Years by Harlan Coben

How did you choose this book? (recommendations, web search, etc..) I looked through my GoodReads "want to read" list for a title with a number in the title.

Did you enjoy it? (feel free to link to your book review) Yes. I enjoyed it very much.

Would you recommend this title? Yes.