Start by marking “The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line

(Veronica Mars #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  39,037 ratings  ·  4,633 reviews
From Rob Thomas, the creator of groundbreaking television series and movie Veronica Mars, comes the first book in a thrilling new mystery series.

Ten years after graduating from high school in Neptune, California, Veronica Mars is back in the land of sun, sand, crime, and corruption. She's traded in her law degree for her old private investigating license, struggling to keep M
Published March 25th 2014 by Vintage Books

To ask other readers questions about The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line, please sign up.
Kelsey the book picks up right after the movie (I think two months from where the movie left off) and it mentions events from the movie throughout the book.…morethe book picks up right after the movie (I think two months from where the movie left off) and it mentions events from the movie throughout the book. definitely experience them in order. movie first and then the book. (less)
Kelly Not a massive amount but he does make brief appearances.

·  39,037 ratings  ·  4,633 reviews

Start your review of The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)
Julie Johnson
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My only thoughts about the upcoming release of the Veronica Mars movie AND the subsequent book series:

Oh, and this:

Can't wait!

PS: I wrote this review while wearing my VMARS Kickstarter backer t-shirt, watching reruns of Season 1. #sorrynotsorry

PPS: TEAM LoVe FOREVER.
Alyssa
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Please don't suck, please don't suck...

Update: It didn't suck! It was actually really amazing and completely what I was hoping for. Veronica Mars fans are going to love this one, and more so if they get the Kristen Bell narrated audio book, I imagine.

My only complaint is the romance absence, but honestly, the mystery more than made up for this. I'm sure we will see more LoVe in the future. And I'm banking that there will be a future, at least in book form. For now, I'm glad we got t
Lukas Anthony
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just do yourself a favour and read it.

To be an avid marshmallow and receive not only a movie, but ALSO a book series that continues Veronica's story is, quite frankly incredible. There are a ton of fandoms that could never even hope to receive this type continuation of one of their beloved shows, and I will be forever thankful that there were enough rich marshmallows out there to give us what we wanted!

Now, onto the question most of you are wondering. Is the book actually any good?

YES. I won't lie, if you have never wat
Emily
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Prerelease:

And once read:

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy to see more of Veronica Mars. Rob Thomas writes a pretty decent mystery novel, and the tone of the book is spot on. It's pretty easy to transition from watching the movie into reading this book, and I think the relationships are portrayed just as strongly and with as much feeling. It's acclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
And
Lucy Langford
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5****

Veronica’s hands wouldn’t stop shaking. She held the revolver straight out from her body and breathed slowly, deeply, the hot-metal smell stinging her nostrils. She tried to relax her shoulders.

This book picked up after the plot of the movie; Veronica and Mac head up the PI business and Keith Mars is recovering from the car crash. Business is a little slow for the PI business, however, in the town of sun, surf, crime and corruption, the lull of the typical incoming cases changes.

It's spr
Stacey
Jan 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
Oh. My. God. We are finally getting a movie and now we are getting a book series too!? I officially proclaim 2014 the year of the marshmallow!
Maureen
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO GREAT! If you love Veronica Mars, you'll definitely love this book. I listened to the audiobook which was narrated by Kristen Bell, so the whole thing felt like one extended VM episode! I loved the mystery and pacing of it, and seeing all the characters again was wonderful.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads
A long time ago we used to be friends...

Three seasons of epic, one movie of pure awesome and now a book that will totally rock your world. I'm quite new to the Veronica Mars fandom. In fact, I didn't start watching the TV show until this book showed up in the mail, and I am so glad that it did. Before I say anything else, I highly recommend that you watch the TV show, then the movie, then read this book to have the full and proper VMars experience. The Thousand Dollar Tan Line is the ideal novel that fans of VMars will eat up, forexperience. Thethe Veronicafriends...
ThreeReads
A
Diane
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a marshmallow. I admit it.

Which means I am a Veronica Mars fan. Which means that not only have I watched all three seasons of the TV show (ahem, multiple times), I was also one of the 91,585 backers on Kickstarter who helped get the Veronica Mars movie made.

In short, I am the perfect audience for this book. If you liked the TV show and/or the movie, you will probably enjoy this novel, which is a new mystery (this is NOT a novelization of the movie or any of the episodes). The wr
Ash Wednesday
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you to watch the series first, then the movie.
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: 2007
3.5 STARS
Have you ever had a relationship that you knew wasn’t working, couldn’t work, would never work? But you just couldn’t help yourself, because the way it didn’t work was so damn good?

So this is where my Two-Week Throwback ends. 64 episodes, a movie and now a book series. Which is funny because I read somewhere that Rob Thomas originally intended for Veronica Mars to be a serialized novel before it was picked up as a TV show.

As someone late in the Marshmallow Party, from where I stand, this series does haveSTARS
Have
Adrienne
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

This the only book I have ever pre-ordered with release-day delivery.

On March 25, 2014, I will open my mailbox, and this will happen:

Passersby will see:

And, I, with all the other release-day fans, will open the cover and begin again...

-------------------------------------------------
Updated 30 March 2014

(Note: As of this update, there are eleven "likes" for the above, pre-read seclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Updated
Alex
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're on the fence about reading the book, I'm gonna tell you to read it. Not just because I supremely enjoyed it, but because if this is the canon that Rob Thomas is writing, you're going to want to follow it. And he didn't pull punches. At this point, I'd follow that man into Hell and back, and there'd be a lot of snappy dialogue in between.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was expecting from this book. Probably the last time I read some television-book adaptation was when I was lik
Sunil
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2014
Remember Veronica Mars? She's back. In Pog book form.

Let's get the obvious major criticism out of the way first: I wanted a first-person noir narrative and what I got was a third-person litfic narrative. It's a curious choice, especially since the story is still told from Veronica's POV, and a book would have been the perfect opportunity to let her unique voice shine. But I'm assuming Rob Thomas was too busy, you know, making the movie to write that book, and Jennifer Graham does do a surpr
Sam
Feb 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S ALMOST MARCH!

Pre-ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO much geeking out!!

I think a series re-watch is in order. :)
Jennifer Ellision
So easy to see this as a story arc of the already existing canon. Even better with KBell's narration.

Wish the next audiobook had her narrating as well, but at least I can still just read it so that I can imagine in in her voice!
MissBecka
It was lovely getting back into the Veronica Mars universe.
She is still just as sassy as I remember and I am looking forward to the next book!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Please note that some minor spoilers for this year’s Veronica Mars movie were inevitable.

I just love the 21st century, don't you? A TV show gets cancelled, leaving behind millions of grieving fans. After years of struggle, a movie gets made, crowdfunded by adoring viewers who were unable to let go. While this is happening, creator of the show Rob Thomas (originally a novelist), decides to start a book series, which will pick up exactly where the movie leaves off. And all of it, every single thing
Hollis
It's hard to know how I would have felt about THE THOUSAND-DOLLAR TAN LINE had I read it. One has to assume there would've been more delight than dismay considering this spin-off from the Veronica Mars show literally follows in the steps of the movie and was written by the same creator and writer. But sometimes the change in medium just doesn't translate. So it's a really good thing that I chose to listen to the audiobook, despite saying I wasn't ready to venture out into unread listens yet, because ...more
Kristina Horner
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, new-adult
I absolutely adored this book and I read it in one sitting - the writing was PERFECT and felt exactly like watching the show. It was so much fun to hear all the characters voices in my head as I read; to picture their mannerisms and the settings and the little looks shared between characters. Such a unique experience, since novelizations of TV shows generally don't hold a candle to the original show. This was wonderful. I can't wait for the next one, and I hope there are more.
Naddy
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries

It’s spring break and students has descended into the Neptune town, transforming the beaches into a frenzied, month long rave. Out of this one girl disappears from a party, And Veronica is called in to investigate. Veronica who has traded her law degree for her old private investigation license, struggling to keep Mars investigation afloat on the scant cash earned by catching cheating spouses until she can score her first big case.The house the girl vanished belonged to drug cartel, a notorious
Matthew
A decent little book - I felt like I was watching an episode of the show. While I think you can enjoy this without having watched the show, I think you will appreciate it more if you have.
Lei
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
EDIT: 26Mar

I'm already done with the book. I'm going out for a while, review later when I get back.

EDIT: 17Mar

The synopsis is out!!! See below:

________________________________________

From Rob Thomas, the creator of the television series and movie phenomenon Veronica Mars, comes the first book in a thrilling mystery series that picks up where the feature film left off.

Ten years after graduating from high schoolclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
From
Sarah Churchill
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Veronica Mars makes me so happy! Picking up the story a couple of months after the movie, 'Tan Line' is perfect for fangirls (and boys) who need a little more Veronica in their lives.

I've always been a proud marshmallow, the movie had me grinning from beginning to end, so it was unlikely that I wouldn't love this book. Reading it soon after watching the movie definitely made it even better, not just because the story follows on, but because I was reminded of everything I loved about the charact
Rachel E. Carter
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kristen Bell narrating this book = perfection. I *wish* there was romance in this one (Logan Echolls is away at sea for the entire mystery) but Kristen is such a great narrator it was still fantastic and gave me all the Veronica Mars feels I could hope for.

Oh, and fyi, there are only 2 books in this series (no more coming from what I can tell) and Kristen does not narrate book 2 so I'm preparing for my heart to get broken (seriously, I know there's a bunch of stuff being laid out for a
Jane
4.5 stars for the audiobook as narrated by Kristen Bell.

A good solid mystery that kept me guessing. If you like the TV series, you'll like this book! With Rob Thomas writing, and Kristen Bell narrating, the vibe is just like the show.

My only disappointment with this book is that I finished it ready to dive into the next in series and realized the second book has a different narrator. Booo!

Badass Female Character score: 5/5 -- It's freaking Veronica Mars! She rocks!
Rincey
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was absolutely perfect and I think was even better as an audiobook. Kristen Bell does everyone's voices and cadences absolutely PERFECTLY, I could picture every character during the entire story. If you're a Veronica Mars fan, this will definitely scratch that itch. If you aren't a Veronica Mars fan, please remedy that so that we can be friends again.

See my full review here: http://youtu.be/0uAubKd4ZnY
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book hits right where it should hit and if I'm honest I liked it more than the movie. Where the movie felt a bit rushed, the book gets the chance to really go into the story and into Veronica's feelings. They were able to explore the characters and the story itself.

One thing I really liked was that the book was filled with references back to the series and that made me feel overjoyed and giddy. This book, unlike the movie, isn't trying to please newcomers to the fandom. It's doing what it'
Liz Janet
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
When most people were reading "Harry Potter," (which I was not able to), I was watching "Veronica Mars," she was the Hermione I didn't get to experience as a child, and she was/is AMAZING.
After the film I could only think of reading this series, because I knew I would love it, and love it I did. (But watch film first, because spoilers)
The audiobook is the format I recommend, because Kristen Bell herself narrates the story, and she is brilliant, she is Veronica, she is that one charac
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
3.5 stars. A solid mystery, good twists, lagged a bit in the middle with the various red herrings. I listened to Kristen Bell reading this, so naturally, I had Veronica's voice in my head the entire time. I did enjoy her take on Keith, Mac, and the other characters' voices, but mostly it was just lovely to have Kristen narrate the story to me.

Review to come.
Winter Sophia Rose
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Riveting, Engrossing, Full Of Twists & Turns! A Refreshing Read! I Loved It!

• Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • Night Film
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The God of the Hive (Mary Russell, #10)
  • Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #5)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat, #5)
  • The Bride Wore Size 12 (Heather Wells, #5)
  • Blanche Among the Talented Tenth (Blanche White series Book 2)
  • Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Magic for Liars
  • The Last Word (The Spellmans, #6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #6
Robert James "Rob" Thomas is an American author, producer, and screenwriter, best known as the author of the 1996 novel Rats Saw God, creator of the critically acclaimed television series Veronica Mars and co-creator of 90210 and Party Down.

Veronica Mars (2 books)
  • Mr. Kiss and Tell (Veronica Mars, #2)
“There weren’t many people in this world who would let you be vulnerable and still believe you were strong.” 106 likes
“And for about the millionth time in her life she felt an overwhelming gratitude for her best friend. Because she knew he wouldn't mention this afterward; she knew he wouldn't take it as a sign that she was losing her nerve or was in too deep. There weren't many people in this world who would let you be vulnerable and still believe you were strong.” 79 likes