You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Captivating Cryptic Conquerors - summarise plans here

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (last edited Jan 28, 2015 05:36AM) (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments *** EDIT - read this first ***

We now have a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Tasks not yet filled are coloured in bright red.

Please find your name and see which tasks/books I've put you down for. If you want to change your mind and read something different or do a different task, let me know. And if there are more books you want to read, please let me know. If you can fit these books into red tasks, that would be great, but is not essential, as more than one person can do any task.

Also, if I've made any errors on the spreadsheet, please let me know. Everyone please check the column under your name.

Thanks! :-)

If team members are happy to do it this way, I am making a thread for people to post their planned tasks and reads once they've decided them, as a place where all the plans are summarised. I will put a list of the tasks in the second post and add people's names and books for the tasks they volunteer for.

Please can everyone make one post on this thread, which they edit to add their books.

If you are making a change to your post, you can also add ****EDIT**** to your post to draw my attention to it.

Please don't make more than one post here, and don't chat here - use the other thread to chat.

When you add books to your post, please can you select 'link' rather than 'cover', so that it says the name of the book rather than a tiny picture, because the titles on those pics are often too tiny to see. And I will not see any pics anyway when I am using my laptop, because I hide them with adblock, so please make sure the titles of your books are in your post.

Thank you!

Here is our team:

Azalea
Berit
Connie
Elsbeth
EstaAmelia
Gail
Kerri
Marie Claude
Paakhi
Sandra
Shanna
Tanita
Tejas Janet

message 2: by Gail (last edited Jan 28, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Here is the list of tasks. There is also a spreadsheet, linked in the first post, where you can see clearly which books you are reading by looking down the column with your name on, but I'm also keeping this list so we have links to the books being read, in case we need to count page numbers or anything.

For clarity, tasks which have been claimed are bolded (N.B. this doesn't mean no one else can do them - it is fine for more than one person to do the same task). Those which have not yet been claimed remain unbolded.

What does your date look like? (For these books, the item must be on the cover.)

• Read a book with a human head (or a human looking alien). Mostly the head, as little of the body as possible) - Sandra: I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
• Read a book with a pair of eyes - Gail: Lovely Green Eyes
• Read a book with a torso, a frontal view - Tejas Janet: Play It as It Lays
• Read a book with a pair of legs - Connie: Lolita
• Read a book with a pair of shoes (you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes) - Paakhi: The Bell Jar

You never know where your Mystery Date might be from, your own neighborhood, across the country, or halfway around the world.

• Read a book set in Africa - Gail: Disgrace
• Read a book set in South America - Tanita: The Lighthouse at the End of the World
• Read a book set in Canada - Tejas Janet: Still Life
• Read a book set in an alien world or on some type of spaceship - Elsbeth: Worse than Senseless Things
• Read a book set on an island - Marie Claude: Je voudrais qu'on m'efface

What does your Mystery Date do for a living? Do they have a job, live on family money, or sponge off of others?

• Read a book where a main characters has a job that you’d like your date to have - EstaAmelia: A Brave Man Seven Storeys Tall: A Novel
• Read a book where a main character has a job that you don’t want your date to have - Kerri: Water for Elephants

What are you date’s hobbies?

• Collecting comic books – Read a book that’s part of a series - Paakhi: The Color of Magic
• Shooting – Read a book with some serious gunplay, or some type of weapon being used - Connie: The Fifth Woman
• Reading – Read an author that’s new to you - Sandra: The Color of Magic
• Clubbing – Read a book from another participant’s tbr - Kerri: Letters to My Daughter's Killer
• Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a character, or where gaming takes place - Marie Claude: Ready Player One
• Crafting – Read a book with a main character does some type of craft for a hobby - Connie: Nemesis

There are plenty of well-known couples. Is there one where you’d like to substitute yourself for one person and keep the other to be your date?

• Adam and Eve – Read a fable, fairytale, myth, legend – can be original or retelling. - EstaAmelia: Boy, Snow, Bird and Scarlet: Scarlet
• Samson and Delilah – Read a romance - Elsbeth: The Grand Sophy
• Royce or Hadrian and Janice – Read a nonfiction - Connie: Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free
• Romeo and Juliet – Read a YA book - Connie: Esperanza Rising and Tanita The Edge of Falling
• Bonnie and Clyde – Read a crime thriller - Kerri: The Good Girl

• John and Lorena Bobbitt ( If you’re not familiar with this couple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and... ) - Read a book that takes place during a war and the war has a large impact on the characters.
• Barbie and Ken – Read a chick lit book
• June and Ward Cleaver – Read a post-apocalyptic book - Tanita: The Maze Runner
• Mickey and Minnie Mouse - Read a book where an animal is a main character
• Shrek and Fiona – Read a book with a royal character
• Johnny Depp and Debra – Read a sexy book
• Claire and Jamie Fraser (Outlander) – Read a book with time travelling, or where the perspective changes between the present and the past - Kerri: What We Keep
• Shaggy and Scooby Doo – Read a murder mystery - Elsbeth: The Death We Share
• Will Arnett and Amy Poehler – Read a humorous book - Marie Claude: The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
• Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett (Star Trek) – Read a science fiction book - Shanna: Breakers and EstaAmelia: Dust
• Gomez and Morticia Addams – Read a paranormal book with ghosts, witches, or wizards - Marie Claude: A Ghost of a Chance
• Daniel Craig and Connie – Read a magical realism book - Connie: The Girl with No Shadow

• Bella and Edward (Twilight) – Read a horror book
• Lois Lane and Superman – Read a biography, autobiography, or memoir - Tejas Janet: Birds, Beasts, and Relatives
• Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet – Read a historical fiction book - Sandra: Snow Hunters and Berit: The Other Typist
• Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark (Hunger Games) – Read a dystopian book - Shanna: TBC and Berit: The Giver

• Buffy and Angel – Read a book with vampires or werewolves
• Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund (Casablanca) - Read a classic - Connie: Lady Chatterley's Lover
• Robin Hood and Maid Marian – Read a fantasy (no vamps, werewolves, witches) - Elsbeth: Knights of Light
• Brokeback Mountain’s Jack and Ennis – Read a book with forbidden love, because of gender, race, class, religion… - EstaAmelia: Gilead and Berit: The Age of Innocence

• Hazel Grace and Augustus – Read a tearjerker
• Almeta and Kermit - Read a book where a human and other life form interact. (Vampire, werewolf, witch, robot, alien)

message 3: by Elsbeth (last edited Feb 07, 2015 12:37PM) (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments EDIT - at the end - 7 feb.

This one is mine!! ;)

I think I can read 4. Below are some of the candidates (I have loads on my ereader, so I can be quite flexible)...

Possible reads:
I want to read The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer, which I could use for
- island (the U.K.)
- author that is new to me
- romance
- historical fiction
- classic

Another book I' d like to read is: The Death We Share by Sharon Short, which I could use for:
- shoes ? (it has only 1 shoe on it, so I don't know if it would count) - just checked, it counts!
- a job I don't want my date to have (private investigator)
- murder mystery

And another one I would like to read is Knights of Light by Kristen Pham, for:
- human head (with shoulders)
- Young Adult
- fantasy

Currently reading:
Brides for Brothers by Debbie Macomber, for:
- a book where a main characters has a job that you’d like your date to have (pilot - or librarian, but I would rather do that myself!)
- Read a book that’s part of a series (Midnight Sons, part 1)
- Samson and Delilah – Read a romance

message 4: by Tejas Janet (last edited Feb 10, 2015 11:17AM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments TJ's planning/plotting space : )
Reading 3 books minimum - probably 5 and maybe more.
Flexible - willing to swap or substitute as needed for team plan.

So far committing to:

1. Play It as It Lays - Torso/Body.

2. Still Life - Date's nationality/Set in Canada.

3. Birds, Beasts, and Relatives - memoir.

4. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - book set during a war, which has a large impact on the characters.

Considering but uncommitted to:

5. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows - YA, murder mystery, or historical fiction.

6. A Wind in the Door - YA, sci-fi, classics, or fantasy.

7. A Tale Dark & Grimm - YA, fantasy, horror, humorous, animal as main character, or paranormal.

8. The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - sci-fi, fantasy, humor, or murder mystery.

message 5: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jan 25, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 228 comments ****EDIT*** Jan 25

I can read a science Fiction- Breakers

And a Dystopian that I have yet to find

Plus one more

message 6: by Ava Catherine (last edited Feb 14, 2015 04:26AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments 1. Legs book: Lolita finished
2. Shooting: Read a book with some serious gunplay, or some type of weapon being used: The Fifth Woman finished
3. classic: Lady Chatterley's Lover finished
4. YA: Esperanza Rising finished
5. hobbies/crafting Nemesis by Agatha Christie finished
6. nonfiction: Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free finished
7. magical realism: The Girl with No Shadow finished
8. Mickey and Minnie Mouse: Read a book with an animal as a main character. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves finished
9. Shaggy and Scooby Doo: Read a murder mystery. Appointment with Death by Agatha Christie finished
10. John and Lorena Bobbitt: war. The Undertaking finished
11. Bonnie and Clyde: crime thriller: A Certain Justice finished

message 7: by Sandra (last edited Jan 24, 2015 11:09AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I expect to read 3 books.
By now this is what I'm thinking (changeable according with the group needs)

1- I Am Malala
-head in the cover
-shooting (should confirm with j'mom)
-biography/autobiography
-maybe clubbing: in a team mate TBR (?)

2- Snow Hunters
-set in south america
-historical fiction
-YA
-new author

3- The Color of Magic
-humorous
-fantasy
-part of a series
-new author

message 8: by Kerri (last edited Jan 24, 2015 12:56PM) (new)

Kerri this is mine

author new to me or thrillerThe Good Girl

perspective changes between present and past What We Keep

occupation you don't want date to haveWater for Elephants

other persons tbr Tejas Janet Letters to My Daughter's Killer

message 9: by Gail (last edited Jan 28, 2015 06:16AM) (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments I'll post mine.

I plan to read Lovely Green Eyes for the 'pair of eyes' task.

And Disgrace for the 'set in Africa' task.

I may do more, but this is what I'm committing to for now.

Other possibilities:

The War of the Worlds - interaction between humans and another life form

The Wasp Factory - from a participant's TBR (Elsbeth)

The Man Within My Head - from a participant's TBR (Paakhi)

We - from a participant's TBR (EstaAmeliaR) and dystopian

The Housekeeper and the Professor - from a participant's TBR (Connie)

The Winter Ghosts - from a participant's TBR (Sandra)

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? - from a participant's TBR (Tejas Janet)

message 10: by Esther (last edited Jan 25, 2015 12:58AM) (new)

Esther  (estame) | 467 comments I can do between 3-5 depending on length. I can also slot in where it makes us the most points.

Date look like
human head- Wonder
eyes - Never Let Me Go
torso, frontal -The Awakening
legs - The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Date is from -
Africa - Purple Hibiscus
South America -
Canada - Dear Life: Stories
Alien/spaceship
Island

Do for a living
Would like - A Brave Man Seven Storeys Tall: A Novel (athlete)
Would not like - 10:04

hobbies
part of series - Dust
shooting
reading - Gilead
clubbing - The Girl with All the Gifts from Kerri TBR
Role play/geek -
crafting -

Couples -
Adam and Eve - Boy, Snow, Bird

message 11: by Tan (last edited Jan 25, 2015 01:11PM) (new)

Tan (tannani) | 44 comments I might be able to read 3 to 4 books, but I'm still looking for the right ones. Most of them do not fit the bonus point tasks..

Read a book set in South America The Lighthouse at the End of the World (preferred)
Read a book set in an alien world or on some type of spaceship These Broken Stars or Across the Universe

What are you date’s hobbies?

Collecting comic books – Read a book that’s part of a series Ceaseless

There are plenty of well know couples. Is there one where you’d like to substitute yourself for one person and keep the other to be your date?

Romeo and Juliet – Read a YA book The Edge of Falling (preferred)
Barbie and Ken – Read a chick lit book Thirty Days Have November
June and Ward Cleaver – Read a post-apocalyptic book The Maze Runner (preferred)
Claire and Jamie Fraser (Outlander) – Read a book with time travelling, or where the perspective changes between the present and the past Ruby Red
Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett (Star Trek) – Read a science fiction book These Broken Stars again
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark (Hunger Games) – Read a dystopian book The Maze Runner again
Robin Hood and Maid Marian – Read a fantasy (no vamps, werewolves, witches) Of Poseidonor Exquisite Captive

message 12: by Marie Claude (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:30AM) (new)

Marie Claude (mariecg2001) | 989 comments I am doing
- Read a book set on an island - Marie Claude: Je voudrais qu'on m'efface
- Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a character, or where gaming takes place - Marie Claude: Ready Player One

And can do at least 2 from the following:

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark (Hunger Games) – Read a dystopian book - The Giver 179 pages

Will Arnett and Amy Poehler – Read a humorous book - The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul 307 pages

Shrek and Fiona – Read a book with a royal character - Princess Elizabeth's Spy 352 pages

Mickey and Minnie Mouse - Read a book where an animal is a main character - Thereby Hangs a Tail 309 pages

Gomez and Morticia Addams – Read a paranormal book with ghosts, witches, or wizards - A Ghost of a Chance 212 pages

****EDIT**** 3 February

Adding Chercher Sam for a book set in canada

message 13: by Berit (new)

Berit | 641 comments So here is my plan :-)
The Giver
The Age of Innocence
The Other Typist
Scarlet
Notorious 19
Top It Off 20
And if I have time The Truth About Alice

message 14: by Paakhi (new)

Paakhi Srivastava (pankh) | 199 comments Hey Team!!! *Waves*

This is my plan:

Hazel Grace and Augustus – Read a tearjerker- The Color Purple by Alice Walker - its voted a Tear jerker here https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Book with a pair of shoes- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Book which is a part of Series- The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Looks good Paakhi!

message 16: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Paakhi, please could you post links to the book names, because I can't see the covers, so I can't see what books you have posted here.

message 17: by Paakhi (new)

Paakhi Srivastava (pankh) | 199 comments Yea Gail
Hazel Grace and Augustus – Read a tearjerker- The Color Purple by Alice Walker- its voted a Tear jerker here https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Book with a pair of shoes- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Book which is a part of Series- The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett

message 18: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Thanks, Paakhi. BTW, I read The Colour Purple in the last group Toppler, and I was really impressed by it. I'd agree it's a tear jerker, as it made me cry, although not till the very end.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments It seems you'll have a very emotive toppler week, Paakhi. I'm reading The Bell Jar right now and it's very moving. At least you'll have some humor with The Color of Magic. BTW, I'll read it too for the toppler. For a different taks, though.

message 20: by Paakhi (new)

Paakhi Srivastava (pankh) | 199 comments Wow Sandra and Gail, going by your remarks here, I think I am going to have a great reading week yet an emotional one. These books have been on my TBR since forever and wanted to read them so that for any reason I do not leave them unfinished...so I thought of including them here so I have no chance of second thoughts about finishing them :)

message 21: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Paakhi wrote: "Wow Sandra and Gail, going by your remarks here, I think I am going to have a great reading week yet an emotional one. These books have been on my TBR since forever and wanted to read them so that ..."

Sounds like you need to stock up on tissues! LOL

message 22: by Paakhi (new)

Paakhi Srivastava (pankh) | 199 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Paakhi wrote: "Wow Sandra and Gail, going by your remarks here, I think I am going to have a great reading week yet an emotional one. These books have been on my TBR since forever and wanted to rea..."

Haa Jmom, thanks for the advice :P :P