Start by marking “Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot, #19)” as Want to Read:
Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot, #19)

Appointment with Death

(Hercule Poirot #19)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  34,104 ratings  ·  1,705 reviews
Among the towering red cliffs of Petra, like some monstrous swollen Buddha, sat the corpse of Mrs Boynton. A tiny puncture mark on her wrist was the only sign of the fatal injection that had killed her.

With only 24 hours available to solve the mystery, Hercule Poirot recalled a chance remark he’d overheard back in Jerusalem: ‘You see, don’t you, that she’s got to be killed
Published 2001 by HarperCollins (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Appointment with Death, please sign up.
Anne Christie is trying to say that the man's English was not great, as the line "I had a dove, and the sweet dove died" (Keats) was heard in this manner.
…more
(less)

·  34,104 ratings  ·  1,705 reviews

Start your review of Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot, #19)
Dita
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This week I read Evil Under the Sun and getting back to my girl, Aggie, felt so much like a hug that I ran straight to Appointment with Death without passing Go, without collecting $200.00.

Side Note: It might be time to find a new board game for quarantine. Just saying...

Anyway, you can't avoid your destiny, or in this case your karmic retribution. In Appointment with Death a woman so vile and abusive that I enthusiastically applauded her demise is bumped off in a spectacularly grotesque fashio
Ahmad Sharabiani
Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot #19), Agatha Christie

Appointment with Death is a work of detective fiction by Agatha Christie. The novel opens as the family and the victim are introduced through the perspective of Sarah King and Dr. Gerard, who discuss the behaviour of the family.

Mrs. Boynton is sadistic and domineering, behaviours which she may have carried over from her original profession of prison warden. Sarah is attracted to Raymond Boynton, while Jefferson Cope admits to wanting
Adrian
Review to follow tomorrow 😉

Ok, ok, it was more than just a day till I got around to writing my review, mea culpa.

After a year of reading all the Miss Marple books, this is now the 21st month of the Poirot Buddy read Challenge (organised and led by Jessica, thank you) and is still proving amazingly enjoyable and not at all repetitive, which just goes to show what a good writer Ms Christie was and how different (in general) are all of her books.
This was an interesting book, that yet again I didn'
Evgeny
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Where Poirot goes crime (usually a murder or several) follows. This time the guy was minding his own business traveling in the Middle East - the region was relatively stable at that time - when he overheard two siblings talking about the necessity of murdering their stepmother.
Beirut
Poirot quickly forgot about the incident only to recall it in details when the woman in question died seemingly natural death.

Back to now dead American lady. She used to work as a warden in a US jail.
Warden
She used her work e
Simona Bartolotta
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
“They have been in prison so long that, if the prison door stands open, they would no longer notice!”

It was rather frustrating to have to wait more than 100 pages for the murder to happen, but oh, it was so worth it. Poirot's final dénouement was particularly appreciated. And I'm so ridiculously glad they all had their (view spoiler), in the end.
This time around, the queen of crime did not disappoint at all.
Luffy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
First book of the year and... I don't have much to report, interpret, gauge, or infer. This is the first time I've read it in English. Before that I read it when in my teens, in French. The latter translation was superb. The translator, Louis Postif, was a genius.

Returning to this book, it does not lend itself very well to a reread. The first time I was impressionable. I wasn't impressed by Poirot this time around.

There was no determining proof of guilt in this case. Only the flimsiest trace of
Richard Derus
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Real Rating: 3.25* of five

I'll say more later, but whee dawggie did this rotten old bat's death fix the world!
***
LATER

One of Poirot's most arrogant cases, this one stems from a remark casually overheard by our snoopy sleuth: "You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?" spoken by American tourist Raymond Boynton to his sister Carol. The "she" in the sentence is their stepmother, an evil, sadistic harpy, as we learn later. Mrs. Boynton is a foul person whose abusive behavior towards her s
Jaya
Re-read on October 2016
I stand by my rating :))
***
10+++ Stars

This is perhaps one of my most favourite Christie's. No matter how many times I read it (last count was 8), this story does not get old, all those descriptions and sequences retain their power to thrill me even when I read it today. I simply love this book and the mystery of it.
This has nothing to do with anything Jerusalem, archaeology, historical artifacts. Nope. Absolutely not.
carol.
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Feels like Dame Agatha was experimenting with new techniques, namely, how long will the readers wait before letting Hercule come in and solve the story? And of course, a little like Murder on the Orient Express, it's a murder that no one really wants solved. Yet, enter he does, and solves the crime using the techniques of the mind--although he admits he lacks proof. Come to think of it, I don't think he referred to "the little grey cells," alas. While not her best, I nonetheless enjoy the Egypti ...more
Vikas Singh
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-book

This is almost like a tourist brochure for Israel and Petra. The plot has a great sinister beginning and in true Christie fashion there are many with motive for murder. In his typical fashion Poirot goes after the psychology of the murderer. However the end is quite dampening and disappointing. Average read.
Behrokh
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Piyangie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic-mystery
I very much enjoyed this particular installment of the Poirot series. The story was for me one of the good ones in the series. The book is of two parts and Poirot makes his appearance proper in book two. However, this doesn't stop the famous Belgian detective from solving a crime that would have otherwise put down to natural causes through his brilliant psychological analysis.

Christie presents us here with an odious victim, the older Mrs. Boynton- an old woman who is a mental sadist. I came acr
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my personal favourites.

An obnoxious old woman, Mrs. Boynton (who used to the warden of a women's jail) has kept her daughter and stepchildren in psychological bondage for their whole lives: she gets her kicks from exercising control over other human beings. Obviously, they wouldn't mind if somebody murdered her.

Well, what's hoped for happens. In the Red City of Petra where the family is on tour, Mrs. Boynton is discovered dead with a puncture mark on her wrist, sitting outside a c
Krista
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I hope to have done Jerusalem thoroughly in a couple more days and I'm letting them get me out an itinerary at Cook's so as to do the Holy Land thoroughly — Bethlehem, Nazareth, Tiberias, the Sea of Galilee. It's all going to be mighty interesting. Then there's Jerash; there are some very interesting ruins there — Roman, you know. And I'd very much like to have a look at the Rose Red City of Petra, a most remarkable natural phenomenon, I believe that is, and right off the beaten track; but it
Cherie
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, old Aggie did it again. I was unsuccessful at solving whodunit. Poirot gave a rather long narration explaining his murder solving reasonings and calculations, I felt it went on too long, so minus 1 star. I felt it was  convoluted in some areas, but overall I enjoyed it.
mark monday
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Choose Your Own Adventure!

As a gay man, you have many tasks to accomplish in the course of a normal day. It is best to keep an appointment diary at hand, at all times.

6:00am Gym

8:00am Breakfast (oatmeal and egg whites)

9:00am Hair Appointment

10:00am Shopping (Macy's or Nordstrom's)

11:30am Leisurely al fresco Brunch

2:00pm
(1) assume complete control of all U.S. Federal, state, and local governments, as well as all other national governments
(2) destroy all healthy marriages
(3) replace all school te
jade
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murder mystery aficionados who love a good villain & don't mind a wonky ending
Recommended to jade by: Shannon
Shelves: murder-mysteries
“on the whole, you know, people tell you the truth. because it is easier! because it is less strain on the inventive faculties! you can tell one lie -- or two lies -- or three lies or even four lies -- but you cannot lie all the time. and so -- the truth becomes plain.”

when poirot goes on a holiday, we all know that dead bodies will inevitably follow him -- as they also do in this novel when he makes a trip to egypt, israel, and jordan.

initially, poirot takes a bit of a backseat as w
BrokenTune
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
4.5*

"You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?"

Mrs. Boynton is despised by everyone who meets her. Even her family. All of her children live under her thumb and it is easy to see how her manipulative tyranny make Mrs. Boynton one of the most despicable characters (view spoiler) in any Christie novel.

Poirot, having once overheard a conversation between two of the Boyton children, is resolved to investigate when a death occurs on a tr
Sumit RK
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Compared to the other Christie mysteries, this was just OK.
Pros: 1.The story itself was quite good; set in foreign locales that added to the mystery.
Cons: 1. All characters felt one dimensional & unbearable.
2.No Poirot in almost the first half & the built up takes so much of time.
3. Poirot's deduction & his explanation is confusing and the final twist was totally bizarre.
It was totally unexpected, but it didn't make sense.
So in short, "Appointment with Death" was a fast read but underwhel
David Schaafsma
“You are a detective, are you not?”
“Yes, mademoiselle.”
“A very well-known detective?
“The very best detective in the world,” said Poirot, stating it as a simple truth, no more, no less.

The best opening to an AC mystery for me yet:

"You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?"

Poirot overhears a brother try to persuade his sister to kill their tyrannical and sadistic and morbidly obese mother, and why not?! We quickly learn that even if you are a complete pacifist that you might see why it
Kavita
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An American woman has her family bound to her through psychological torture. She enjoys tormenting people, and takes it out on her isolated family for amusement. But on a trip to Petra, she is exposed to the outer world, as are her family. Suddenly, one day, she is found dead. Though, nobody really cared for the woman, Hercules Poirot does not approve of murder. He sets out to find the truth.

I couldn't guess the murderer at all, though I kept pointing fingers at the different persons in the grou
Thomas Strömquist
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a couple of disappointing ones, I was rewarded with a Christie/Poirot I thoroughly enjoyed! Great location(s) and a very intriguing setup with a tormented American family (tormented by the almost omnipotent matriarch) and great characters. One of Christie's red herrings were almost beyond the realm of belief suspension this time, but it did actually not disturb so much - especially since the ending is so satisfying. A great entry in the series, highly recommended.
Jerry
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This is definitely not Agatha Christie's best work.
Roman Clodia
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of the darker Christies with the monstrous character of Mrs Boynton brooding over the narrative. And the setting of Petra (in Jordan) really adds to the desolate atmosphere as a desert oasis camp takes the place of the country house. I have to say that I spotted the clue with this one (view spoiler) but then it's even easier to see how adroit she is at leaving all her clues in plain view but disguised with her usual slei ...more
Cristina Argetoianu
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 2020
Rating: 3,5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
I really liked this, of course what can you expect from Agatha Christie, she’s just great, i haven’t read many books by her, but I really want to, she’s the queen of crime, everything I’ve read so far, it’s just simply entertaining, keeps you questioning all the time, you don’t trust any of the characters. Love it!!
Melissa
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Once again, Christie has written a mystery with an ending I didn't see coming. This time, I can't decide if I think she left enough clues to lead to the culprit, however. Normally, I find myself saying "oh, yeah!" as I read the outcome, but this time I thought it was a little shaky. But, as usual, Christie does a beautiful job fleshing out the characters of a well-rounded cast, with plenty of doubt cast among almost all of them. I changed my mind a few different times as to the possible outcome, ...more
Leigh
Hercule Poirot and Agatha Christie + Mystery = reader delight and his highlights that point!
Michael
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4-stars.

I'm not really a fan of Poirot but you cannot deny that he knows how to solve crimes!

I didn't guess who the killer was with this one. I didn't take as much from reading it as I did with 'And Then There Were None'.

Also, I was surprised when this finished when I was still only at 82% on my Kindle.

Her biggest fans will obviously enjoy it, but this one didn't quite do it for me.

Thanks for reading.
Em*bedded-in-books*
A repeat read. But as decades have passed it was almost like a new story to me. But few hazy memories floated in while reading though these didn't help me to pinpoint the actual killer.
I console myself thst I.atleast knew foe sure who the killers aren't.

One of the better Christies .

Quite recommended .
Story_girl
(view spoiler) ...more

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Spider's Web
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • নিরাপদ কারাগার (Masud Rana, #99,100)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • Knock, Murderer, Knock!

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)