The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 931 (931 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 29, 2015 05:57PM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Speed Racer

Team Members:
Beth (Ducky)- Captain
Alexa
Apoorv
Kirsten
Laura
Teddie
June

message 2: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Jan 24, 2015 06:00PM) (new)

message 3: by Beth (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:14PM) (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Cards:

UNO Cards
From Wikipedia
The deck consists of 108 cards, of which there are twenty-five of each color (red, green, blue, and yellow), each color having two of each rank except zero. The ranks in each color are zero to nine, "Skip", "Draw Two" and "Reverse" (the last three of these being classified as "action cards"). In addition, the deck contains four each of "Wild" and "Wild Draw Four" cards.

◈◈◈Perks UNO cards◈◈◈
O (Zero)
Read a book that either:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z ; or
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that either:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O ; or
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that either:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T; or
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that either:
- has a 2 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T ; or
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that either:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F ; or
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that either:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F; or
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that either:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S; or
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that either:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S ; or
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that either:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E ; or
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that either:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N ; or
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that either:
- has a title starting with S,K,I or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with S,K,I or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S,K,I or P
- is set in a place name starting with S,K,I or P; or
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit any of the requirements for cards 0-9

Wild draw four
Read any book!

◈◈◈Points◈◈◈
For each book read to match a 0-9 card, the team gets 20 points
For each book read to match a Skip, Reverse, Draw two card, the team gets 25 points
For each book read to match a Wild or Wild draw four card the team gets 30 points
For each hand completed, the team gets a bonus 15 points

IMPORTANT
Books must be more than 160 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 40,000 words using arbookfind.com

◈ Note: it is up to the teams how they divide up the cards to read across the team players. Just remember, you can only get points if a hand is completed, and in order.
So, if you complete all of hand 1, some of hand 2, and all of hand 3, you will only get points for hand 1 and the books read of hand 2.

message 4: by Beth (last edited Feb 02, 2015 03:46PM) (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Team spreadsheet: Spreadsheet

Team Shelves:
Beth
Laura
Apoorv
Alexa
June
Teddie

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Reserved

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Hi, team! Bear with me- this is my first game as a captain.

The first thing we should do is introduce ourselves. And get to know each other!

I'm Beth. I'm 21 years old and I live in Michigan, USA. I love books, sports, and organizing. My favourite genre is mystery but I also enjoy chick lit and YA.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi team!!
I'm Laura. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I love reading, bowling and playing cards. Uno is one of my favorite games! I will read anything if it catches my attention, though my favorite genres are mystery, young adult and historical fiction. I can't wait for the challenge to start.

I am sure you will do great as captain, Beth!
Go Speed Racers!!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Hi, Laura! Could you make a shelf on Goodreads specifically for books read during the challenge? Something like UNO or Team Challenge or something like that? Then link it here so I can easily find it. Thanks!!

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jan 24, 2015 03:44PM) (new)

Laura Laura's shelf

can't wait to start filling it!

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Thanks Laura! Does the spreadsheet work fine for you?

message 11: by Apoorv (last edited Jan 24, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 605 comments Yay ! So we are all set up.
So glad to be a part of a cool team, I am sure aptly called, Speed Racers !
*waves at Beth, Alexa, Kirsten, Laura, Radhika and Teddy* :D

I must say this is a very well-thought out challenge.. and Beth, all the best for your first stint as a captain. I am sure you are gonna rock ! We are all with you !

I'm Apoorv from Lancaster, PA.
When someone asks me what is my favourite genre, I tend to get tongue-tied, but then I can say I havent tried Paranormal Romances or Vampires as yet so barring that I prefer reading everything from erotica to philosophy and mystery to mythology.

My Shelf : Challenge-PBBA-UNO

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Thanks Laura! Does the spreadsheet work fine for you?"

Yes it does!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Apoorv wrote: "Yay ! So we are all set up.
So glad to be a part of a cool team, I am sure aptly called, Speed Racers !
*waves at Beth, Alexa, Kirsten, Laura, Radhika and Teddy* :D

I must say this is a very well-..."

*Waves back* hi Apoorv!

message 14: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 605 comments Hi, Laura ! :)

Isnt this already getting exciting ?!
*does happy dance*
*makes a mental-note to stop using asterisk-quotes* :P

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Hi Apoorv! I believe I've seen you around in other groups so it's nice to finally meet you!

If you guys ever want me to try something different or do something differently as captain, let me know! I'm still learning. :)

message 16: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 605 comments It is nice to meet you too, Beth.

.. and as I said, you will rock as a captain !
Go for it ! :)

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I will probably tinker a little with the spreadsheet but for now it looks fine!

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I really like the name Speed Racers, btw! Hopefully we can be SPEEDER readers :D

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Hi Apoorv! I believe I've seen you around in other groups so it's nice to finally meet you!

If you guys ever want me to try something different or do something differently as captain, let me know..."

I think Beth it would be worthwhile asking Karen if we can get the spreadsheet to work like the spreadsheets that are in NBRC for tower teams. It would save you a lot of time.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I love those spreadsheets! I will ask someone that knows how to work them. Right now I have an idea of how to set them up that won't be too confusing for me but it might be weird for other people.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments We have our first month's numbers! If you want to start thinking about what books you're going to read then feel free to do that so I can update the spreadsheet.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "We have our first month's numbers! If you want to start thinking about what books you're going to read then feel free to do that so I can update the spreadsheet."

lol.. I knew Karen would have a spreadsheet!

I will read The Secret Place by Tana French. Works for card 5
The Outcast Dead by Elly Griffiths. Works for card 8

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I can the reverse for The Secret Place

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura My Elly Griffith book can work for both the 8's because of the draw 2 card! We may get through this first hand quickly!

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments Hey! Anyway, I started to read Everlost a few days ago and it would fit perfectly for either of the eight's in hand one.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments When you're giving me the books, can you give me the reason for it as well? There is a place on the spreadsheet for it!

I'm assuming it's because of the author name starting with an E, though. And card 5 for French. But just remember to let me know in case I don't have time to run through all the examples :D

Are you a Tana French fan as well?

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Welcome, Kirsten!

How about you and Laura decide who is going to read which 8 book and then the book that is left over can be used for the wild draw four? If you guys would want to do that?

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura hi Kirsten!

It doesn't matter to me. Whichever book is used can be used twice ( at least this time in this hand because of the draw 2 card) The other book as you said can be used for the wild draw 4. Since both work use whoever finishes first.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments That's a good idea, Laura. We can also do that with The Secret Place. If you read it first, you can take 8 and I'll take reverse. If I read it first, I can take 8 and you can take reverse.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "That's a good idea, Laura. We can also do that with The Secret Place. If you read it first, you can take 8 and I'll take reverse. If I read it first, I can take 8 and you can take r..."

Yes, exactly! Though we want to use the secret place for card 5 not 8 :)

Yes, I am a Tana French fan! I love her books. I 'm excited to read the new one. I need to get it finished before its due back at the library!

message 31: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Laura wrote: "lol.. I knew Karen would have a spreadsheet!..."

Am I that predictable?
;)

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Lol whoops, yes that's what I meant! I love French as well! I have a few different copies of all of her books

message 33: by Apoorv (last edited Jan 24, 2015 09:05PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 605 comments Stupid Question #1 : Since this challenge is going to start on 01Feb, I am assuming the books that we read in between now and then dont count, right ?!

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Any books finished ON or AFTER Feb 1 counts. So say you start a book right now that will fit in a challenge for roll 1, but finish it on Feb 2- it will count. If you finish it January 31- it won't count even though it would fit.

Does that make sense?

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Laura, let me know if you want to do this as well!

We use the Draw 2 card for The Secret Place. We use the "wild" card and the 5 card. For Wild, it can be card 7 with because the title starts with S and then we use card 5 because it's the 5th in the series (and because her last name is French)

Then we can also use it for Reverse. Altogether, it would be 75 points and three cards off the board. Let me know if that's how you want to do it and I'll set it up in the spreadsheet!

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments If anyone has a book that they really want to read but it doesn't fit any of the cards, let me know and you can get Wild Draw 4. First come, first serve!

message 37: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 605 comments I am a little unsure which books I would be reading a week down the line, so if it helps, I will finish the cards that others dont.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura Perks Moderator wrote: "Laura wrote: "lol.. I knew Karen would have a spreadsheet!..."

Am I that predictable?
;)"

Nope , smart & organized!! Can't wait to see what you guys will come up with for the Wheelathon!!

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Any books finished ON or AFTER Feb 1 counts. So say you start a book right now that will fit in a challenge for roll 1, but finish it on Feb 2- it will count. If you finish it January 31- it won't ..."

Yes that makes sense!

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Laura, let me know if you want to do this as well!

We use the Draw 2 card for The Secret Place. We use the "wild" card and the 5 card. For Wild, it can be card 7 with because the t..."

There are so many options for us to use! ( for this hand anyway because of the cards we were given ) What you have there now also works. You are captain, I 'd say go with what you want and if our suggestions make it easier for you then use what you can.

Going with what you have.. we only need 2 more books to be read for that 1st hand because either the wild or the the wild draw 4 will also work for draw 2!

message 41: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Laura wrote: "
Nope , smart & organized!! Can't wait to see what you guys will come up with for..."

Aww, thanks. Well that one is done, it is just a matter of timing as to when we launch it ;)

message 42: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Laura wrote: "Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Laura, let me know if you want to do this as well!

We use the Draw 2 card for The Secret Place. We use the "wild" card and the 5 card. For Wild, it can be card..."

I will put that book for Draw 2 and then we'll get through the first set quicker.

I just hope the other people in our group show up soon! I messaged everyone yesterday

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Apoorv wrote: "I am a little unsure which books I would be reading a week down the line, so if it helps, I will finish the cards that others dont."

It looks like the only card we have left is "wild draw 4" so just read any book and it'll count!

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Laura wrote: "Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Laura, let me know if you want to do this as well!

We use the Draw 2 card for The Secret Place. We use the "wild" card and the 5 card. For Wild, ..."

It makes more sense seeing it! Good thinking:) That last card will be super easy to fill and we will be able to move on to the next hand!
They still have a few days to check in. I 'm sure they will soon!

message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I'm going to start The Secret Place whenever I finish this book so I can finish it on or near Feb 1st and move onto the second hand.

I'll also be looking for books that fit with those!

(Sorry, I really like the plan ahead!)

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura I'll look tomorrow night! I want to try to finish what I'm reading tonight!

message 47: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 138 comments Hi! I'm Alexa! I made my shelf here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I can't wait to get started!

message 48: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Alexa wrote: "Hi! I'm Alexa! I made my shelf here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I can't wait to get started!"

Thanks Alexa! If you want to look for books that would fit the second hand on the spreadsheet (there is a link to it in the second comment) then let me know and I'll fill it in!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability!

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Just a note about the Reverse card:

It does not have to be read DURING the challenge. Let's say I read Hot Six by Janet Evanovich last year but then someone else wanted to read it during the challenge, it would count for reverse. So if someone wants to read a book but doesn't see if it fits anywhere, see if anyone else has read it if there is a reverse card open!

message 50: by Alexa (last edited Jan 25, 2015 07:09PM) (new)

Alexa Carver (alexacarver) | 138 comments So do we have to make sure everyone has filled in hand one before we can start hand two? Or can I finish my book in hand two before someone else finishes hand one?

I want to read To All the Boys I've Loved Before (for 2) and Fairest by Marissa Meyer (for 4), but I didn't know if I would have to wait to for another person to finish.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19