Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2015 Challenge Archive > 2015 February Pick-It-For-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 278 (278 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments February 2015 PIFM Challenge

What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?

The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

The idea of the PIFM challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. The new books might not be books you are interested in, it happens sometimes, that is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf. But you never know, perhaps one of those books will turn out to be a new favorite if you give it a chance. You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge! All of the books picked for you do not have to be something you are going to read.

After signups are closed, I'll put your names and any extra info I’ve requested into the super secret PIFM randomizer and select someone for you to choose for. This will get posted along with the rules for the month.

While you're doing your picks, someone else is doing picks for you. Once you receive them, you pick a book off the list and on the 1st of the month, get reading. To complete the challenge, you only have to read 1 (one) book but many of us end up reading more because we just can't resist a list of books to read.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable), or make the person who will be giving you recommendations your friend. You will also need to have your profile set to accept Private Messages (PMs), occasionally there will be questions the host, a mod or your picker will want to ask you. On top of that, we strongly recommend keeping your bookshelves updated; otherwise you might end up with a recommendation that you have already read.

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Some clarification on repicks: You can ask for repicks if the books picked for you are not yet released or if you have already read them and they are on your ‘read’ shelf. If you did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf if supplied, you may also ask for more picks. You may not ask for repicks because a book is not available at your library or is a genre or author you don’t enjoy. Your picker likely put a lot of time and thought into the books they selected for you and want you to enjoy them, by following the tips they tried to come up some new ideas for you so check them out and read some reviews before you discount them!

***TIPS TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE!***

1. To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed or authors that don’t work for you as well as favorites. Also, you might consider updating your profile info, many of us haven’t done so since we joined GR. You can include info there about your favorite books and authors. And in the ‘about me’ section you can add things you like or things you don’t - love friends to lovers, hate insta-love or burned out on billionaire bad boys for example.

2. Check the publishing date of the book before recommending it. To check the publishing date, from your pickee's to-read or similar shelf choose shelf settings, select "date pub" from the drop down selections and save/close the menu.

3. Check pickee's personalized shelves, especially their exclusive shelves - it could be very helpful in recommending something they want to read. A personalized shelf is one that a member has labeled themselves, for example, 'to read next', 'can't wait to read', 'favorites'.

4. Look at your pickee's 'read' shelf and see what genres they have recently read the most. That might help in choosing something they are interested in reading right now.

5. Please make sure the books you choose for your pickee are not on their 'read' shelf. Just because it isn't rated doesn't mean it wasn't read. Sometimes the reader may choose not to rate a book.

6. Although Buddy Reads are no longer going to be offered as a category, if there is a recommendation that you give your pickee that you would like to read with them, please feel free to suggest a Buddy Read with them. You can PM each other and discuss it.

7. If your pickee reads lots of books in a genre you are not familiar with (erotic romance, GLBT, YA, etc.), feel free to contact either Fran, Dee, Jane, Kat, Karen, Ty or the month's organizer and they can try to point you in the right direction for recommendations.

8. If possible, try to include a shorter book, a longer book, a new addition to their 'to-read' shelf, and and older book from their 'to-read' shelf. This gives them a variety of options to choose from. You can sort the shelves by many features - ratings, date read, date added, date published, #of pages and many other items from the shelf settings as described in tip #1. And they can be sorted by ascending or descending order as well.

9. Please choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. These should be brand new to them books and not found on any of their shelves. It could also be a book found on their shelves if they've never read any of the author's work before. Part of the fun of this challenge is discovering new books to read, adding new titles to the ever-expanding tbr shelf. The remaining 4 titles should come from your pickee's tbr, with a minimum of one from their preferred shelves if provided.

10. Please remember this is a romance readers challenge, so unless you KNOW your pickee would prefer something else (something off their preferred shelf, for example) most, if not all, of your picks should be romance. There are many different sub genres and related types of books - Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy even. Take a look at your pickee's read shelf and see if they read non-romance genres before making your suggestions.

message 2: by Breann (last edited Jan 19, 2015 10:26PM) (new)

Breann | 0 comments *INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP*
Please sign up in this thread with the answer to the following question:

Which of these is your favorite Disney love match?
Belle and Beast (from Beauty and the Beast)
Ariel and Eric (from The Little Mermaid)
Jasmine and Aladdin (from Aladdin)

***If you have a preferred shelf, please list it when you sign up!***

IMPORTANT DATES

For your convenience, a Time Zone Converter.

You’ll have until January 28th (11 pm EST) to make your recommendations.

Please do not start reading your book(s) until the first of the month. You then have the entire month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback.

If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQ. If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

***Please add a new comment rather than updating a previous post or your progress will likely be missed. It is also very helpful if you add more information like "I finished another pick" or "I finished my third book for this challenge" and mention if your pick was a buddy read. Thanks!***

*Please note that late sign ups will be included at the host's discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!*

message 4: by Breann (last edited Jan 23, 2015 07:53PM) (new)

Breann | 0 comments Picking Rules

February is the month of love so, why not have some fun with the ladies who nabbed themselves a prince charming!

Please remember to pick at least four new to them picks and at least four from their TBR or preferred shelf.

Snow White: Recommend a book with a white cover. Or a book that has been on your pickee’s TBR for a while, at least over a year (unless they don’t have one that old, just pick one of the oldest).

Ariel: Recommend a book with water on the cover or that takes place near water. Or a YA/NA book.

Belle: Recommend a book with a yellow cover or a shifter romance.

Cinderella: Recommend a book with a blue cover or a book that has been released in the last 6 months.

Anna: Recommend a book snow or ice on the cover or that takes place near the snow. Or a book with a lot of hype that you think your pickee will love.

Repunzel: Recommend a book with pink on the cover or a book with totally swoonworthy hero.

Tiana: Recommend a book with a green cover or a book with magic and/or witches.

Mulan: Recommend a book with a weapon on the cover or a book with a kickass heroine.

message 5: by Breann (last edited Feb 28, 2015 04:04PM) (new)

Breann | 0 comments Match-ups

Within each group, each person group picks for the person below them. The last person in the group picks for the first. For example, Stacey picks for Penney.

✔ = picks made
☆ = completed challenge
updated through msg 274

Belle & Beast

☆ ✔ Penney - pifm
Sadie - pick-it-for-me
Suzanne
☆ ✔ Arys
☆ ✔ Amy - pifm-3
☆ ✔ Diane~Firefly~
☆ ✔ ~Melisa~ - pifm
☆ ✔ Rebecca
☆ ✔ Kait
Runell
Pamela Su
Tania - rrrc-pick-list
☆ ✔ ~KarenH~ - cant-wait-to-read
☆ ✔ MountainKat - to-read-asap
☆ ✔ Ty
☆ ✔ Elke - on-deck-4-chlges
☆ ✔ Ana
☆ ✔ Laurla - challenges-to-pick
☆ ✔ Carla_Collette
☆ ✔ Larissa - on-deck-tbr
☆ ✔ Kathy - 1-pick-it-for-me
☆ ✔ Sunshine - feb-mar-reading
Macwolf01 [Elise]
☆ ✔ Gle
Stacey

Ariel & Eric/Jasmine & Aladdin

☆ ✔ Katherine
Dee - rrrc-mng-feb-mar
Taralinda
☆ ✔ Nancy H
Tana
☆ ✔ UnusualChild{beppy} - pifm
☆ ✔ Ashley
Jojo
Zara - rrrc-mngc-febmar-2015
☆ ✔ Kristin
☆ ✔ Fran - a-pifm-shelf
☆ ✔ Tammie - pifm
☆ ✔ Breann - 1-pifm-pick-me
☆ ✔ ~~*Julie
Kimberly
Ramneek

Repicks
Shelby - current-challenge-to-reads
Logan - pifm

message 6: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments **

message 7: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments **

message 8: by ZaraS (last edited Jan 19, 2015 10:39PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 932 comments Jasmine and Aladdin.

Please use my rrrc-mngc-febmar-2015 shelf

message 9: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19706 comments Lots of new challenges tonight! I'm in and of that list I have to go with Belle and the Beast!

Please use my to-read-asap shelf - thanks!

message 10: by Pamela Su (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 194 comments I'm all for Belle and the Beast. :)

message 11: by Tania (last edited Jan 20, 2015 02:01AM) (new)

Tania | 644 comments Belle and the Beast definitely :)

please use my RRRC Pick List thanks!

message 12: by Arys (new)

Arys (readeatlove) | 13 comments Belle and Beast, without a doubt. :)

message 13: by GreenFairy (last edited Jan 20, 2015 08:08AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments If I have to choose from that list, Belle and Beast (I'm not a Disney fan)

I'll have my shelf posted at some point today.

PIFM-3

message 14: by LaurLa (last edited Jan 20, 2015 03:43AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3334 comments I'm in and I am a Belle and Beast fan. Actually, I don't think I ever saw The Little Mermaid and I was never really a big Aladdin fan.

Preferred list: challenges-to-pick

message 15: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments I'm in! I'm a HUGE Disney fan and Belle and Beast are two of my all time favorites :)

My preferred shelf is just to make people's lives easier... pifm

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments hmm, its a toss-up but put me in as Ariel and Eric - still one of my fav disney movies

my shelf - RRRC MnG Feb-Mar

message 17: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11005 comments I'm in!

I will go with Ariel and Eric....The Little Mermaid was my daughter's favorite when she was younger.

my shelf- PIFM Shelf

message 18: by Elke (last edited Jan 20, 2015 07:41AM) (new)

Elke (ejurca) | 1810 comments I am in!!

Belle and Beast.....she loves to read!! ;)

Please pick from my On deck 4 chlges

message 19: by Tammie (last edited Feb 21, 2015 06:12AM) (new)

Tammie | 1623 comments I'm in...Jasmine and Aladdin is my favorite! Somewhat influenced by Robin Williams...also one of my fav's!

Please use: PIFM shelf. Can also use 'to read' if you can't find what you want there.

message 20: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (rissareadsromance) | 317 comments Belle and the Beast! Please pick from this shelf https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 1010 comments Aladdin and Jasmine - I love that film.

message 22: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments darn it. I was gonna wait and see what my workload was but what the heck.

Belle and Beast, of course!

message 23: by Kaity (new)

Kaity | 492 comments Belle and Beast! <3

message 24: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 2252 comments well...since my favorite disney couple is not listed, i'll have to settle for belle and beast (although they are my favorite contemporary pairing!) :) pick it for me

message 25: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 84 comments Ummm can I volunteer to be a pickee? I won't have time in February but I'm happy to pick books for someone else :D

message 26: by Madison ✨ (new)

Madison ✨ | 90 comments I'm in and I'd have to pick Ariel and Eric.

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Anderson  (kagable01) | 50 comments I'm in I pick Jasmine & Aladdin :)

message 28: by Taralinda (new)

Taralinda | 3 comments Definitely in! Jasmine and Aladdin of course, my favorite Disney movie of all time ;)

message 29: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlacollette) | 347 comments I'm in--Belle and the Beast. Romance picks, please, vs. other types of books.

message 30: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments Carla_Collette wrote: "I'm in--Belle and the Beast. Romance picks, please, vs. other types of books."

Thank goodness we're a romance group! :)

message 31: by ~Melissa~ (last edited Jan 21, 2015 05:37AM) (new)

~Melissa~ | 1855 comments I'm in! ♥ Bella and Beast

pifm

I'll have some more choices added by the 23rd

*waves* Hi Breann - hope your New Year was fabulous and things are settling down for your son!

message 32: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 938 comments I'm in. Jasmine and Aladdin, please!

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments The Little Mermaid please

message 34: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 28 comments Im new to pick it for me! Belle and Beast are my favorites

message 35: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments I'm in

Please choose from: Pick For Me

OK... I never seen any of these but I'm going to go with Belle & Beast

At least I know the story...

message 36: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 21, 2015 08:09AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I'm in and I guess I'll do Belle and the Beast. Has anyone seen the videos of the Gaston Meet and Greets in Disney World? They are hysterical!!!

Push Up Challenge Video on Youtube

message 37: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm in and I guess I'll do Belle and the Beast. Has anyone seen the videos of the Gaston Meet and Greets in Disney World? They are hysterical!!!

Push Up Challenge Video on Youtube"

Yes! I saw one where a little girl yelled at him that he would 'never have belle'! It was adorable. Taken down by a 5 year old :D

message 38: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments ~Melissa~ (~Cainis~ the Elf) wrote: "I'm in! ♥ Bella and Beast

pifm

*waves* Hi Breann - hope your New Year was fabulous and things are settling down for your son!"

Hello my fellow Butterfly! Thanks, things are finally starting to settle down. Happy new year to you!

message 39: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Carla_Collette wrote: "I'm in--Belle and the Beast. Romance picks, please, vs. other types of books."

What are these 'other types' of which you speak? ;D

message 40: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Nandar wrote: "Ummm can I volunteer to be a pickee? I won't have time in February but I'm happy to pick books for someone else :D"

I'm not quite sure how I would work that out, Nandar :/

message 41: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Stacey wrote: "Im new to pick it for me! Belle and Beast are my favorites"

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the challenge :)

message 42: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 629 comments I am in!

Jasmine & Aladdin

message 43: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 84 comments I am in- I haven't done a challenge in a very long time- so I am completely new to the new ways of picking. I did read the rules but I am sure I will have questions.

Ariel and Eric....

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Please count me in for Belle and the Beast! Thanks!

message 45: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1434 comments Belle and Beast for me

message 46: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1855 comments Breann wrote: "~Melissa~ (~Cainis~ the Elf) wrote: "I'm in! ♥ Bella and Beast

pifm

*waves* Hi Breann - hope your New Year was fabulous and things are settling down..."

I'm so glad to hear that!!

message 47: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I'm a C for this author. I'll see what I can find to read.

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments oops wrong challange - sorry ignore this message

message 49: by Runell (new)

Runell I'm in for Belle and Beast.

message 50: by Ana (new)

Ana | 18 comments i'm in! Belle and Beast..;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6