Start by marking “Burned (Fever, #7)” as Want to Read:
Burned (Fever, #7)

Burned

(Fever #7)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  26,398 ratings  ·  3,015 reviews
It’s easy to walk away from lies. Power is another thing.

MacKayla Lane would do anything to save the home she loves. A gifted sidhe-seer, she’s already fought and defeated the deadly Sinsar Dubh—an ancient book of terrible evil—yet its hold on her has never been stronger.

When the wall that protected humans from the seductive, insatiable Fae was dest
Published January 20th 2015 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Burned, please sign up.
SHOOKITHA TEA Extremely. Mac to me, has always been exhausting to read from her p.o.v, I really only trudged through the series for the OTHER characters and the…moreExtremely. Mac to me, has always been exhausting to read from her p.o.v, I really only trudged through the series for the OTHER characters and the world KMM built. Even in Mac's series, Dani's chapters were a breath of fresh air.
I guess bottom line I don't like Mac as a character. I wish KMM would've properly finished up Mac and Barron's storyline either in shadow fever or another book after that.

Seeing new teasers that, surprise! Mac and Barrons are having trouble again makes me wanna bash my head into the wall. they don't trust each other and it's just beyond GRATING at this point.

With Dani.. it's different. Iced feels like a true stand alone spin off.

Not only has she EARNED her power on the board (no sudden gamechanging developments that make her a big bad like Mac which is probably my biggest grievance with her) but she's more like the nine so the opposition isn't as grating.

I figure though, since KMM said Dani will be 19 in Burned maybe she'll be lost in the silvers or something so she ages . (maybe with Dancer? wherever he disappears to might be revealed. and that would resolve him being too young if Dani is 19)

and while that happens we will get ~burning~ sex and frustration with Mac and Barrons.. which is really all they are :/.

As well as a bunch of other pov's, sorry but I don't really care too much about the unseelie king and the concubine or Kat with her strange 1800's style narrative.

ALSO I hate that it seems now from the teasers that Mac's changed her mind and is not willing to forgive Dani as she eluded to at the end of shadowfever.. which fecking sucks. The snippet alone of Dani feeling alone watching Mac and Barrons is depressing. it was nice for awhile to see two female characters bond, even though it was more of a hero worship but yeah

and Mac prior to finding out about Dani didn't even treat her that well, she didn't care that making her an ally would also make her an outcast, she'd been using her for her own plans just like Rowena.

Mac's pov spends so much time trying to justify the dumb and selfish things she does it's irritating. Dani accepts who she is and plows on, and that's why I am really disappointed we have to suffer through more of Mac's pov just to satiate people who didn't get enough from the series "finale".

LOL I feel strongly but hey! at least I feel something

(less)
Cogito_ergo_sum Agree! That cover is wrong! Some muscled dude (no matter how hot he is) on the cover is not an accurate representation of what this series is about.…moreAgree! That cover is wrong! Some muscled dude (no matter how hot he is) on the cover is not an accurate representation of what this series is about. Maybe if enough of us comment, the publishers will change the cover. Iced was a great cover, so was Dreamfever, and Shadowfever. Some of the best covers I've seen around.

If I was seen reading this at a park or something, and some person comes up to me and says, "what are you reading?"
I say, "Oh! This great urban fantasy. You should try it."
Their eyes quickly glance at the cover before giving me a strange look. "That looks like a romance novel."
I shift uneasily, wanting to defend this book without coming across as fanatical. Hesitantly, I say, "Well, there is some romance in this book, (very little) but that's not what this series is about."
Now the stranger gives me a look of pity, a look that says, that girl isn't intelligent enough and can't tell quality apart from trash.
Now I sit there, sad and miserable. I haven't managed to convince another person to try this book. I haven't managed to share my love for this series.

And all that could have been avoided by having a cover that screams urban-fantasy, not cheesy romance novel.
(less)

·  26,398 ratings  ·  3,015 reviews

Start your review of Burned (Fever, #7)
Emily May
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, paranormal-uf
Every time I blink, it feels as if another negative reaction to Burned pops up on Goodreads. You can find review after review of complaints about the direction Moning took here and I'm going to be completely honest with you: I expected this book to be terrible.

Most fans know the story by now but I'll just do a quick recap for those who don't. Moning released Iced way back in 2012 and her fans were in uproar! The fourteen-year-old Dani was apparently being lusted after by millennia-old men! Pedophiles! Ugh
Erica Ravenclaw

Spoilers marked and colorful language abound!

I wasn't sure how to write this review. So much of what I want to talk about is a complete spoiler, and I wouldn't do that to you guys. I could rip this book apart plot point by plot point, it's held together with shoe string and gum, but that would be too easy. With a heavy heart and red rimmed eyes, I'm going to muster through the best I can.

Spoilers marked and colorful language abound!

photo serena_hide_under_covers_go_away_zps32cfe4e9.gif

I do not have the words to express how sad I feel. This books is a travesty as far as I am concerned and I don't even know where to start. I spent the majority of this book glancing at the tracker, counting how many pages were left, doing the math on the possibility of turning it all around. Somewhere around the last 50 pages or so I realized how impossible it would be to read the book I think KMM had intended to write. I sat up in bed and I felt my heart breaking. I got all teary eyed and was consumed by this tremendous loss for the this series that she has spent her professional career creating. She sold out. Burned was not the book she wanted to write and you feel it on every single page.

photo a5dwMnq_460sa_zpsc07ad632.gif

KMM put Mac and Barrons to rest, she gave them the ending that she wanted to give them, and moved on with her mind and her heart when she wrote Iced. With the avalanche of shit she got for Dani's age and all that goes along with Ryodan, I think she felt insecure and penned in, like she lost control of her own story. She was extremely pressured to bring back Mac and Barrons, this wonderful, all-consuming story line, but the thing is, creatively she had moved on. It felt that way, you felt KMM's sadness and inability to connect with the characters. Mac was a weak, useless, shackled, a pale version of who she once was. She was an interloper in this story, she felt like she didn't belong because she didn't. It wasn't the Mac we had come to know, Barrons was controlling without the charm, their relationship was very strained and lacked the chemistry we all love. It was so ingenuine, it felt so manipulative, she spent the entire book addressing the concerns of her readers. You know what that is called? A fucking blog. It's called fuck off this is my story and I'm the author and if you don't like it, that's okay. You can't write to please your readers, you have to write to be true to your artistic vision, anything else isn't worth reading.

This book was just a jumbled pile of excuses for Iced, a sales pitch onto of an apology, instead of writing a fucking book. It was devastating and disappointing. She had to manifest a reason as to why this book includes so much of Mac, when in actuality her story line came to a very good, healthy conclusion. As much as readers have a hard time letting go of beloved characters, it doesn't mean as an author you should resurrect them if it isn't true to the story. This was not true to the story, this was Dani's book and it was told from Mac's POV. It felt disjointed, and a shell of what it could have been.

Burned is boring. It drags out Mac and Barrons and kills everything that was so great about them. Dani's character is butchered beyond my comprehension, the sales pitch for Ryo was beyond heavy handed. That cliffhanger was a joke without a punchline. I hope one day perhaps KMM will publish the story that was in her heart, not the one lining her pockets.

photo anigif_enhanced-29220-1409119285-9_zpsbeefd932.gif

I'm going to venture into a little bit of a rant now... with spoilers abound. Enter at your own risk!
(view spoiler)

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-15409-1398995343-5_zpsc8691748.gif

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This review contains spoilers but they are all marked.

I wish I was angry right now. As angry as I was when I finished reading Iced. But I'm just sad. Terribly sad and disappointed.

Technically, Burned isn't badly written. It's just completely flat and unemotional and everything books 1 to 5 weren't. There is no excitement there, no tension (sexual or otherwise). Burned didn't make my heart race, it didn't make me turn every page in frantic anticipation, it didn't turn me into an emotional wreck. And it certainl/>Technically,/>I
Diyana Maya
I WANT THIS BOOK NOW. AND DANI NEEDS TO GROW UP OR ELSE IM GOING BAT SHIT CRAY CRAY BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT THAT FECKING JO ON RYODAN'S ARMS BECAUSE SHE'S SO ANNOYING UGH

****may contain spoilers below!!!!!****

(view spoiler) ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
If you Hated ICED, well this was nothing like that.
If you Loved the original Fever Five, well this was nothing like that.
If you wanted More Barrons, He is there
If you wanted More Mac, She is lost
If you wanted Nice Ryodan, you got it but that is just sad.
If you needed Older Dani, she showed up
Who might save this for me Lor, Lor he is the Man if he can't do it no one can.

photo confusedquotes_zps7c177ca1.jpg

Full Review to Come.
Tatiana
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, urban-fantasy, 2015
I am with Emily on this one - a little surprised by all the hate. Not that I am against hating on books - I spent quite a bit of time hating Moning's previous "Iced" myself - but "Burned" is just fine, a good entertainment, if you care to know what I think of it.

In fact, "Burned" managed to make me forgive many sins of "Iced." I don't know if opinions of "Iced" like mine indeed affected Moning's writing of the rest of the series, or Dani-related developments were in her plan all along, but as f
Danielle Book Boss
1/26/2015 - This was so FECKING amazing! 5 FECKING STARS! FECKITY FECK FECK FECK.

Alright finally finished, final thoughts - DO NOT READ... THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE:

(view spoiler) ...more
June
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a book that inflamed fans from across the globe. No matter what you think of the material on display you need to give Moning kudos for inspiring a passionate response from everyone involved. I am trying to base my review on the material provided, not which character became the lead. This is how I feel. the book is sloppy, its presentation feels mismatched, characters seem "out-of character", and overall the wrapping up of plot points from Iced at moments seem contrived. Logical plotting ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
After Iced I wondered where the author would go with the cliffhanger we were left with.
Mac’s world that we first entered in the first book of this series is certainly changing….darker and grittier. The fight between good and evil continues.
 photo download_zpsyvtuohn7.jpg

So, okay, Jericho & Mac are back again…….I missed them in Ice….
 photo jericho_barrons_by_sugercat-d5uc8wp_zpsqwwqr2sl.jpg

and still as hot together!!!!
 photo 35f371a414ea0214a26ee379d7cac7d1_zpscui82smi.jpg

Just blown away what happens to Mac half way thru….(view spoiler) ...more
Brandi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My feelings are spewed all over the place in the comment thread, and don't open spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled, but I have to add this: Michelle made a comment on Erica's review that was a total epiphany for me. She said:
"for Moning who has always had so much secrecy behind the motive of her characters having everything Ryo and the other characters did spelled out felt like a slap in the face.'
It's so true!!!!! I was livid over the plot device she used, but livid was a little extreme and I couldn't figuresaid:
Sh3lly
14 October 2016: Only $3.99 on Audible.com! A steal. I love this series. Even the not-so-good ones. Totally worth it for you audible peeps. I am buying it too.

First Read: January 2015
Second Read: January 2016

Keeping my same rating, although this is definitely not my favorite and seems like a "transition" book in many ways. There were some really good parts (view spoiler), but Mac annoyed me in this more than she
If it ain't good I don't read it !
Mahlet
Fever Series Scoop from Karen Marie Moning's June 22, 2013 Sarasota, Florida Fan Event

One of my book besties is at Karen Marie Moning's "Maniac" fan gathering in Sarasota, Florida RIGHT NOW. During the Q&A, Ms. Moning told the crowd that Dani won't be 14 for much longer - she will be 17 in Burned! YAAAY!

Now this is me, not KMM talking: This is a DARK FANTASY fictional world so basically?...RYODAN CAN GET ON THAT! And I am dying for some Ryodan/Dani hooking up, ok? :) Deal with it.

Additional Updates fr
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
2,5-3 Super-Surprised Stars

BR with my awesome MacHalo Girls. (If we have any boys sorry, haven't noticed you.)

When I was little and I did something wrong I would never apologise, even when I knew I was wrong. So my mom would ground me and yell and generally force the words "I'm sorry" out of my mouth because she thought that being unable to say sorry at such a young age was unhealthy but the words would come out fake and lose some of their value. Now you're probably all wondering what the hell this has to doStars
Brandi
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
"Welcome to war games, Mac, where the terrain never stops changing and he who adapts fastest wins."

description

Mac is back! For those of you who either skipped or disliked Iced because of Dani, have no fears, Burned is mainly told from Mac's POV, and it starts with a scene from Barrons POV. *sigh*

description

The world is still in chaos.
Mac is fighting inner 'demons'.
Dani undergoes a change.
Christian is still suffering att
Angela
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
See here and here for my pre-read thoughts (took up a whole damn review section! I ran out of room!)

January 2015 Initial Read:
First things first, this cover. I hated it from the moment it was revealed. I mean, COME ON! We'd gone from beauties like this:

Beautiful. Each and every one of them. Then we get that monstrosity up there. It telegraphs sex. I guess that's pretty fitting because
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Two years and two months later, Karen Marie Moning releases the seventh book in the highly anticipated Fever series with BURNED. After the countless delays and near-tear devastation readers experienced since the last release, the Moning Maniacs are in a frenzy waiting for this bomb to drop.

True to her signature style, KMM approaches this book with the same intensity of all her previous books – but combine that and you get BURNED. The questions that arise in the previous book get answered, but that’s no
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Waited for over two years on this book and done with reading in a few days... *sigh*
Olya
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
The book was so bad that I actually had to comment on it, which is a first for me. This whole story was one huge backpedaling mess. It felt like Karen was lost in the direction she wanted to go due to reader demands. There are so many scenes that contradict Iced (the last book) that they make no sense logically,chronologically,etc. I think Karen wanted to stamp out Iced, and because the story is so rushed it turned out very messy. Nothing actually happens for most of the book. All the characters ...more
Nina
To clear up any confusion that you guys may have due to the change in direction KMM took with BURNED (regarding whether this is Dani's book or Mac's book), here's an approximate breakdown of character P.O.Vs

Mac - 70%
Dani - 10%
Barrons, Christian, Lor, UK, Kat - 20%

description

Yes, Mac once again takes centerfold...but don't worry (Dani fans), Dani remains a 'main character'. She's just not quite there as mu
Kathylill
Aug 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
It's a sad day when authors feel the need to justify their writing. Sorry to tell you this KMM: It's not your role to tell me how to read your books. As a reader, my interpretation, my sentiments and my impressions are my own.
(KMM's blog post in aswer to some negativ reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...)

After reading Burned I want more than anything else for Karen Marie Moning to write the story of the Unseelie King from the concubine perspective. I think this would be epic fantasy romance at its best. I loved the scenes told
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. I really don't get the hate.

Okay, so I do get the "eh." Yes, I even get the "wth?" But I really don't get the collective sigh of disappointment.

Was this Moning's best book? No. Not even close.
Was there too much, yet somehow not enough, going on at the same time? Yes.
Was Burned a good enough continuation of the series? I'd have to say yes.

The first half of book dragged while I waited for something to happen - but I can't say that it was putting me to sleep either. The explosi
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`
Ya know ... I have many many feels now, got even more unanswered questions, I was prepared for this book to totally suck! And guess what? IT DIDN'T!! not for me anyways! I don't know if it was because I missed Mac and Barrons so bloody much but I can honestly say that I liked it and I'm very much intrigued of what's coming after. I do hope though we won't have to wait another millennia for the next book -___-
Optimistic much!? Yeah ... yeah ... Those were the stones to your garden dear Moni
Ferdy
Spoilers

How could a once great series turn into something so nauseatingly awful?! I was really hoping Burned would be utterly engrossing and full of fun twists and turns like the original Fever books, I wanted it to be nothing like the fucked-up-disgusting Iced book. Unfortunately, it turned out to be even worse than Iced, that said I have to admit there were some parts which were enjoyable and/or interesting to read (mainly everything that happened with Jo and Kat). Mac and Dani on the other hand were utter bores
Edvard
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it

It's been over two years since ICED was released, I expected that in the two years and some months that KMM made us wait, that we should get something completely mind blowing. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Dani got four chapters in the whole book. Four. KMM made the unfortunate decision to go back to Mac’s whiny, irritating, endless monologue to please her old fans, while Dani fans sit here and wonder why we lost an amazing refreshing, original, voice in Urban Fantasy.

Warn
Jennifer Kyle
3.75 Stars

”You only know who you are in opposition to something, what you choose to fight for and against. The rest doesn’t matter.”

[image error]

This story is told from a few povs but mostly it's in Mac’s (This book is part of the Dani O'Malley trilogy so yeah WTH?) and had a lot going on. Mac is still sharing her body with the book and battles it's constant temptations. The main goal is for an unlikely grouping of leaders to work together in the attempt to free Christian from the Crimson Hag. The King struggle
Stars
Sylvia
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A masterwork by an incomparable writer. Burned is brilliant, sexy, and dangerous. I adore Moning! No one does it better.
Alisa
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, two-stars
The first part of Burned was actually really enjoyable. And then everything crumbled into dust. Mac is certainly back- to being the whiny, self-absorbed girl from the first novels. There's no excuse now, because she's gone through all these hardships and trials and evolved into this kickass character I adored, but she's just so useless now.

I predicted most of the twists way before they happened, so I'm disappointed about that.

Ryodan's better than he was in Iced, so yay for that. Lor's probably the most likeable character in
♡Karlyn P♡

Update 9/16/2014: Wow, the new blurb is out and it looks like Mac will now be a main protagonist, not just Dani. Is this why the book took so long? The direction of this series apparently took a sharp left turn.

"To reiterate, Mac and Dani are both primary protagonists in BURNED." -- KMM, Facebook

-----------------------

I can't wait, I can't wait!! Oh wait, I still have to wait...
Shannon
I have very mixed feelings about this book. This was my most anticipated book of the year and I guess I'm disappointed. I had enormously high expectations for this and this was not at all what I expected. It was pushed back 6 months. Why? It didn't feel like it was worth the wait. It didn't feel like she took the extra time to make it the best book ever. There were times I felt this book was lazy ((view spoiler) ...more

• Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror, #8)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Revenant (Lords of Deliverance, #6; Demonica, #12)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Bound by Flames (Night Prince, #3)
“The only other calling I ever felt was an irrepressible desire to be Captain of my own Starship. I was born in the wrong century and it wasn’t possible, so I chose to explore the universe by writing fiction instead. Books are doors to endless adventure.” -KMM

Karen Marie Moning is the #1 NYT bestselling author of the Fever Series and Highlander novels.

An alum of the Immacul

Fever (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Darkfever (Fever, #1)
  • Bloodfever (Fever, #2)
  • Faefever (Fever, #3)
  • Dreamfever (Fever, #4)
  • Shadowfever (Fever, #5)
  • Iced (Fever, #6)
  • Feverborn (Fever, #8)
  • Feversong (Fever, #9)
  • High Voltage (Fever, #10)
  • Kingdom of Shadow and Light (Fever, #11)
“What I know, brother, is you break every goddamned rule for Mac.”
“Back at you, Ry. Difference is, I’ll help you do it.”
“Lor has never been Pri-ya.” Ryodan shakes his head in disgust. “The princess can’t turn us. Son of a bitch, Mac’s ass is—”
“Mine,” Barrons says flatly. “You will never go there. You have a problem with Mac, you work it out with me. I am her shield, I am her second fucking skin.”
83 likes
“Temptation isn’t a sin that you triumph over once, completely and then you’re free. Temptation slips into bed with you each night and helps you say your prayers. It wakes you in the morning with a friendly cup of coffee, and knows exactly how you take it.” 82 likes