Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: The Bennet Family

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 18, 2020 09:16AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7010 comments Mod
Hello, Bennet Family!

This week we are taking on Wheel of Fortune! We may be missing Pat and Vanna (for those of us in the US), but this game is guaranteed to be just as much fun.

For more information about our group challenge (including FAQs), check out this thread.

Members:
Bec
Sue
Sarah (Message 47)
Ira
Lori
Lieke
Hilde

How It Works:
As a team, you will track your pages read, audio hours listened to, and books completed. Then, you will turn these into letter guesses to complete the fill-in-the-blank puzzle, Wheel of Fortune style.

You can earn (1) guess by:
- Reading 1000 pages as a team
- Listening to 5 hours of audio as a team
- Finishing one book

The Rules:
1. Each guess earned = 1 letter for the team to guess.
2. You may only guess consonants (no buying vowels in this game - so no A, E, I, O, or U).
3. You must make at least 5 guesses before solving the puzzle.
4. You do not have to have an available guess in order to guess the puzzle. If you guess the puzzle incorrectly, however, you will forfeit your next team guess.
5. When you solve the puzzle, you will move on to the next one!

Each puzzle has a different category that will give you a clue into the book title. Because the formatting is weird on Goodreads, check your group spreadsheet to see your progress of your puzzle. You will also record your progress and earn your guesses on the spreadsheet.

FIND YOUR SPREADSHEET HERE!

PUZZLE 1: BEFORE AND AFTER
This category will require TWO book titles, with one book title ending with the same beginning title word as the second book. The word that the two titles have in common is shaded green on your spreadsheet.

A House in the Sky/Sky in the Deep (But you would only guess the word "sky" once.)

PUZZLE 2: FAMILY
The puzzle is the name of two or more famous people who are closely related, or rarely, the name of a well-known family. In this case, it will be a book that contains the name of a family or multiple people, or will have a family relation name as part of the title (sisters, brothers, etc.).

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

PUZZLE 5: RHYME TIME
The puzzle is a phrase with rhyming words in it or a list of thematically similar things whose names rhyme. In this case, the book title will have a rhyme or alliteration within the title.

PUZZLE 6: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
The book title will (sort of) answer this question.

Since you made it through the first six puzzles I had planned in record speed, you are now entering our LIGHTNING ROUND!

New Rules for the Lightning Round:
- You must get either 2000 pages, 10 audio hours, or 2 books in order to earn one guess.
- In addition to vowels, you are not allowed to guess R, S, or T!

*All previously earned guesses will carry over into the lightning round.

PUZZLE 7: BEST SELLER
This book has been in the first place spot on the NY Times Best Sellers list.

PUZZLE 8: ON THE MENU
Titles will contain a word relating to food or drink.

PUZZLE 9: PERSON
Book titles in this category contain someone's first and/or last name.

message 2: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Hi team!
Finished a book today so ready to start a new one tomorrow 😄

message 3: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Hi team! It is morning here where I am, so the readathon has officially started for me. I’m going to take a bike ride to the library and stack up. Happy reading! 😊

message 4: by Bec (new)

Bec | 768 comments Hi ya team, I forgot the challenge was starting today - but luckily I’ve had a lazy day reading a bit so I’ll be able to update some audio and pages later!
I’m in Australia so it’s Saturday night here! I’ll need to get my laptop to read over the rules etc!

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Hi team,
It's late afternoon here in Perth, Western Australia. I've had a fairly busy day with a Zoom family birthday party, and a choir rehearsal, so have only read about 70 pages so far.
Good luck everyone!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It’s morning for me and I’ve just started The Whisper Man.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 172 comments its morning for me -- and a workday -- so it'll likely be a chunk of time before I can check in again. I should be finishing an audio book today that I had 50% completed beforehand. it'll be a little over 4 hours worth of audio book listening time as well!

message 8: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Hi all!

When you decide on which letters you want to guess, please have one team member submit their guess on this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Be sure to include your team name and the letter you'd like to guess!

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments I am into day 2 - stayed up very late last night to finish my first book. Now just starting on The Last Chinese Chef which is my AtY book for this week (I'm reading in order) - it has 453 pages but they are not big pages and I think it will be a relatively easy and fun read, so hope to get through it by mid-week.

message 10: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Great, Sue! That means you have earned us one guess with your finished book :) What letter do you want to go for?

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Hilde wrote: "Great, Sue! That means you have earned us one guess with your finished book :) What letter do you want to go for?"

Let's go for r - do I submit it myself?

message 12: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments That’s a good one :) Yes, I think you can just submit it through the link Emily provided below.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Hilde wrote: "That’s a good one :) Yes, I think you can just submit it through the link Emily provided below."

Done!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 172 comments I've finished my first book. Want to guess T?

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Sarah wrote: "I've finished my first book. Want to guess T?"

Go for it!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

We had another guess so I went with S. Our spreadsheet has been updated with our guesses.

I should finish my book today and maybe the one I was already reading.

message 17: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

After much thought, I decided to lower the page requirement to more closely match the audiobook requirement.

You may now earn one guess for every 1000 pages.

The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect that change.

message 18: by Ira (new)

Ira | 268 comments Hi team, I am late checking in with you because I had visitors all day yesterday, and did not have a chance to read anything. I am back now and ready for the readathon.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ve finished The Whisper Man. I’m going to guess N.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 172 comments its another work day for me today so I likely won't be finishing any books but will update page count/audio time this evening!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I've made a guess at titles:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Under the Sun

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil/Evil Under the Sun

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Excellent job Lori - I was just working it out too! I read 233 pages for Sunday.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 172 comments I'd say you're right Lori!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

My guess was right. We’re on to puzzle 2.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 375 comments Hi everyone! I signed up late so I've just been added to this team.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 172 comments puzzle 2 looks like The Swiss Family Robinson

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Sarah wrote: "puzzle 2 looks like The Swiss Family Robinson"
Great guess! but I think we have to earn a few letters before we're allowed to make a guess - am I right?

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments I think we have 1 guess available at the moment

message 29: by Bec (new)

Bec | 768 comments Hannah wrote: "Hi everyone! I signed up late so I've just been added to this team."
Welcome Hannah....

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments I just finished another book and have posted two guesses - S and W

message 31: by Ira (new)

Ira | 268 comments I read 100 pages and listened to 1 hour of audiobook yesterday.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Ira wrote: "I read 100 pages and listened to 1 hour of audiobook yesterday."
Great Ira, add your numbers to the spreadsheet - see the link at the top of our page

message 33: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Sarah wrote: "puzzle 2 looks like The Swiss Family Robinson"

Looks like you are right, but we need two more letters before we can guess

message 34: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Ira wrote: "I read 100 pages and listened to 1 hour of audiobook yesterday."

I added them to the spreadsheet for you

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments I think we can take another guess - try n?

message 36: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Sue wrote: "I think we can take another guess - try n?"

Almost we need another 15 minutes of audio :)

message 37: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Hannah wrote: "Hi everyone! I signed up late so I've just been added to this team."

Welcome Hannah! :)

message 38: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments I will update the spreadsheet with my numbers for yesterday, that will give us the needed minutes for the audio and one more guess.

message 39: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Lieke wrote: "Sue wrote: "I think we can take another guess - try n?"

Almost we need another 15 minutes of audio :)"

According to the spreadsheet, we have a total of 8 guesses earned and have only used 6 - so we can guess 2 more. I guess F and R

message 40: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Sue wrote: "Lieke wrote: "Sue wrote: "I think we can take another guess - try n?"

According to the spreadsheet, we have a total of 8 guesses earned and have onl..."

Now that Hilde has added hers we have that.

That is if we can combine the earned ones for audio and pages.
Otherwise we only have 7 guesses:
1 for pages
2 for audio
4 for books read

message 41: by Sue (last edited Sep 14, 2020 06:16AM) (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Lieke wrote: "Sue wrote: "Lieke wrote: "Sue wrote: "I think we can take another guess - try n?"

According to the spreadsheet, we have a total of 8 guesses earned ..."

Look at the spreadsheet - if you add up 1.7 for pages, 2.65 for audio, and 4 for guesses earned, it adds up to 8, and we've only used 6. It actually tells us on the spreadsheet that we have 2 guesses, and the mod allowed another team to guess after 4, so we should be sweet to guess based on Sarah's guess...

message 42: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

The totals don't add up like that, Sue. It's one guess per 1000 pages, per 5 audio hours, and per 1 completed book. So it would be 1 guess for pages, 2 for audio, and 4 for completed books - 7 in total.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 172 comments I've listened to 1 hour of audio today but can't update the spreadsheet from my phone! if someone else cannot add it for me we should be good

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 375 comments Sarah wrote: "I've listened to 1 hour of audio today but can't update the spreadsheet from my phone! if someone else cannot add it for me we should be good"

I’ve added it for you.

message 45: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

message 46: by Lieke (last edited Sep 14, 2020 11:28AM) (new)

Lieke | 709 comments I finished my first book for the read-a-Thon :)

We have two guesses left we can use on puzzle 3

I’m going to guess N for my finished book guess.

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 293 comments Lieke wrote: "I finished my first book for the read-a-Thon :)

We have two guesses left we can use on puzzle 3"

Have a go Lieke!

message 48: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments So we have _ ____ _____ _n _______n
Maybe: a ____ _____ in _______n

I have no idea 😁

message 50: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Good one, looks like R is our best letter to guess next.

« previous 1 3