Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Collecting Dust December 2014 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:27AM) (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
It's ime for December's Collecting Dust Challenge to get started. This is the last challenge for the year so let's make it a good one..

Remember, this is a monthly challenge. For those readers who have unread books on the TBR collecting dust.

This challenge will help you get to the books you want to read but just keep putting off.

If you want to participate then from your TBR bookshelf list 5 books that you would like to read in the month of December. The next person who comments will pick two choices from your list. You are only obligated to read 1 of the books chosen, but you may want to read both. Once you have read it, let us know and you may add your review or link to your review.

Rules:
1. If you want to participate, please sign up (list your five books) by November 30th.

2. Choose two books from the person's list that commented before you. First person to list 5 books is the person who picks two books for the last person of the month. (I'll remind you)

3. You have the entire month to read your selections and post your thoughts. No pressure all the past months this year are still open for comments.

**This is the last Collecting Dust Challenge. For 2015 we will try something different. Will give you the details nest month.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary So here's my list

1) The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
2) The Color Purple - Alice Walker
3) The Help - Kathryn Stockett
4) The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
5) The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 4: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments All of your books look very interesting, Julie, but since I can only choose two of them, I pick Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet and Whiteout.

My list of 5 books for December:
*Kuolleet sielut (Dead Souls) by Nikolai Gogol
*Jäähyväiset aseille (A Farewell to Arms) by Ernest Hemingway
*The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
*Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
*Kuu on julma (The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress) by Robert A. Heinlein

message 6: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Hi Bettina!

For you I choose The Invisible Man & White Fang

I need to finish up some reading challenges so here are my 5!
1.Love Letters to the Dead
2.Dorothy Must Die
3.Just One Day
4.Hollow City
5.The Peach Keeper

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I had never heard of these, but after looking at them all, I chose Love Letters to the Dead and Just One Day for the holiday season. (And I'll have to check out Dorothy Must Die ... like a scavenger hunt in Oz, with a grotesque "gather" list!)

Some more of my books gathering dust nearby are:
1. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
2. Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe
3. The Expedition of Humphry Clinker by Tobias Smollett
4. The Poet by Yi Mun-Yol
5. The Wolfer by Loren D. Estelman

Have a great Thanksgiving!

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:53AM) (new)

message 9: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Rachel wrote: "Love Letters to the Deadand The Peach Keeper are my picks for you. Happy Reading Alissa!

Here are my top 5 dusty books:

1. Julie and Romeoby Jeanne Ra..."

Oops! Mine were already picked for me! ;-) You have to choose for Jasper

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 04, 2014 08:08AM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "The Wolfer and Look Homeward, Angel are my picks for you. Happy Reading Jasper!

THANK YOU, Rachel!! I was hoping for "The Wolfer," especially -- been a while since I've read a really great Western. Happy Thanksgiving (& December reading). :-)

message 12: by Desertorum (last edited Nov 09, 2014 06:54AM) (new)

Desertorum Hi Nathan!

I just read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and liked it so my first pick for you is A Thousand Splendid Suns (because I think he is an author you should give a chance).
Second pick is Middlesex because I have read it years ago and I remember liking it then!

My list:

1984 by George Orwell
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Q & A by Vikas Swarup
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

message 13: by KateMc (new)

KateMc My picks for you are 1984 because I loved that book and Lady Chatterley's Lover because I have always wanted to read it. Happy Reading!

My List:
Chariots of the Gods
East of Eden
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
A Grain of Wheat

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments Kate,
My picks for you are East of Eden because I love Steinbeck, but I couldn't get through this novel and I hope you do better. And I pick The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz which sounds really fun.

My list:
Emma
Wolf Hall
A Clockwork Orange
Sycamore Row
Cutting for Stone

message 15: by D (new)

D (fly_by_the_night) | 8 comments Hi Laurie,
My First choice for you is Emma, as I love Austen. My second is Clockwork Orange as it's on my reading list and I'd like to know what you think of it.

My list:
The Bone Clocks
We
The Rabbit Back Literature Society
Millions
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

message 17: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Could Mary pick books for Lindy?

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments I've finished the first novel picked for me which was Emma by Jane Austen. It started very slow for me, and I was terribly bored by the first quarter of the book. But it picked up after that and I ended up really liking it. It's the fourth Austen novel I've read, and I liked it much, much better than Sense and Sensibility and better than Persuasion as well. Not better than Pride and Prejudice but a very close second.

I'll start on my other pick which is A Clockwork Orange probably next week sometime.

message 19: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum I just finished my first book; Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence.
My first book from his works. It was really interesting, very liberal (in his time) and even he has got some critic about his attitude towards women and sexuality (according to wikipedia) I thought that in this book he writes women to be very strong (stronger than men in many ways) and independent, if you look at the time this was written. The book was a bit slow and I read it in finnish so I´m not sure about the translation. The ending was little disappointing for me but otherwise there were themes relevant today as well, like how people try to buy their lives with stuff, not really living it.
Thank you for this pick Kate!

message 20: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum And yesterday I finished Kate´s second pick for me; 1984 by George Orwell.
What a creepy, somehow even scary and haunting book. If it wasn´t written so well I would have hated it. Does that make any sense? Very different what I normally read and I really did like it. I don´t want to say too much so I don´t give anything away :)

message 21: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Dec 18, 2014 08:06AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 87 comments nobody has picked for me, but i'm reading my way through my list.

have read
Defending Angels 12.1
City of Glass 12.3
The Pelican Bride 12.6

message 22: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Forgive me, I should have followed up at the end of November. This is the last Collecting Dust Challenge. Please conceder joining us for the Old and New Classic Challenge and the 2015 BINGO Challenge.

Old & New: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Bingo: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Again, I am sorry for not following up on December 1st.