Start by marking “The Invisible Man” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Man

Read Book

The Invisible Man

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  173,733 ratings  ·  7,988 reviews
This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.
Published September 3rd 2002 by Signet Classics (first published February 2nd 1897)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Man, please sign up.
Mike MacDee If you want the opinion of someone who doesn't type like a text message, it's a pretty cool book with an interesting antihero -- sometimes you're not …moreIf you want the opinion of someone who doesn't type like a text message, it's a pretty cool book with an interesting antihero -- sometimes you're not sure whether you're supposed to be rooting for the townspeople who are plagued by the insane Griffin, or for Griffin who is treated poorly by the ignorant townsfolk for being strange. I'm guessing the other answers are probably from people who have no imagination or can't follow any fiction that was written before 1999.(less)
Brandon Book Nerd Yes, this book is definitely appropriate for teens! Although some parts may include some allegoric themes, such as the abusive of power, and how it mi…moreYes, this book is definitely appropriate for teens! Although some parts may include some allegoric themes, such as the abusive of power, and how it might drive you insane. But it was worth a read, although the ending is pretty bleak.(less)

·  173,733 ratings  ·  7,988 reviews

Start your review of The Invisible Man
Anne
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the story of how one angry, naked, sneezing albino managed to terrorize the English countryside.
To be quite honest, I expected a bit more from the people who fended off the Nazis for years. But Wells seemed to think his fellow countrymen would be a bit too inept to toss a sheet over this shivering bastard and punch him in the throat.
Instead?
This:

description

Attention:
1) There may be spoilers for this 100+ year old book in the review.
2) Only comment if you have a WORKING sense of humor.
3) Seriously
Leonard Gaya
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
At some point in Plato’s Republic (see II, 359b-360d), Glaucon argues with Socrates that men practice justice only out of fear of punishment. Without that fear, they would commit theft, rape and murder. Case in point: Gyges, whose legendary ancestor, a poor shepherd, once found a magic ring inside a cave. The man pocketed the golden ring and found out that wearing it made him invisible. Soon enough, he put this superpower to good use: he went to the royal palace, raped the queen, killed the king ...more
Lala BooksandLala
I read this for 2 reasons. It was short and therefore conducive to my 30 day reading challenge where I read 30 books (this was book 7) AND I was filming the process for a book vs. movie review (which I've now scrapped because the book was average and the movie was terrible and I don't care about either of them anymore.) ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Invisible Man, H.G. Wells

The Invisible Man is a science fiction novel by H. G. Wells. Originally serialized in Pearson's Weekly in 1897, it was published as a novel the same year.

The Invisible Man of the title is Griffin, a scientist who has devoted himself to research into optics and invents a way to change a body's refractive index to that of air so that it neither absorbs nor reflects light and thus becomes invisible.

He successfully carries out this procedure on himself, but fails in h
Delee
I have a feeling if I had read this on my own- my rating would have been 3 stars. So I would like to thank the following people for making this such an enjoyable buddy-read. You guys get a whole extra star all of your very own. No fighting when you split it among yourselves please.!!!!

Jeff, Stepheny, Anne, Tadiana, Dan 2.0, Jess, Evgeny, Dan, Alissa, Steve, Will, Christopher, Licha, Miriam, Jenna, Auntie J, Ginger, and Carmen

photo 6f34e2aa-2b48-4d06-a8c0-a06c98405aae_zpsx9sowpgz.jpg

"A room and a fire!"

On a cold blustery day in February- a mysterious ma
Lea
An interesting short book with elements of sci-fi, mystery and horror, that was fun to read. The writing style is not my favorite, it’s very straight-forward, concentrating mostly on the plot. I would like more in-depth psychological analysis of Griffin (the Invisible Man) and philosophical exploration of the topic because I find the premise very interesting. One could argue that invisibility was the factor that precipitated Griffin’s moral and psychological deterioration, even though I think he ...more
Carmen
"Oh! - disillusionment again. I thought my troubles were over. Practically I thought I had impunity to do whatever I chose, everything - save to give away my secret. So I thought. Whatever I did, whatever the consequences might be, was nothing to me. I had merely to fling aside my garments and vanish. No person could hold me. I could take my money where I found it. I decided to treat myself to a sumptuous feast, and then put up at a good hotel, and accumulate a new outfit of property. I felt ama ...more
*TANYA*
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a kick to read classic books. Some of them have been hits and others misses, this is definitely a hit. It started off a bit slow but then ended with a bang. Great book!!
Jeff
This was part of a massive buddy read of this title and usually for a buddy read I do something other than a serious review.

Jeff, have you ever done a serious review?

*sigh*

I might do a poor rendering of a passage from the book, kind of in the author's style in order to embarrass a few of my Goodreads “friends”, who quite frankly usually have it coming or if I’m feeling inspired, I’ll do something really creative.

Jeff, do you set some sort of bar for “creative”? Is there a sliding scale? Define “
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
In this famous 1897 novel by H.G. Wells, a reclusive man, swathed in layers of clothing, moves into an English inn. He's unfriendly and angry, and when a burglary occurs, people start to wonder. As well they might!

The Invisible Man is a classic read with conflicts galore: Between society and the individual. Between lust for power and wealth, and the collective good of society. Between my literary side that wanted to ruminate on themes of alienation and self-absorption...

description

and my nerdling side th
Bill Kerwin
May 21, 2007 rated it really liked it

This is the fourth short work of science fiction or fantasy published by H.G. Wells, and although it is superior to the fantasy you have probably never heard of (The Wonderful Visit), it is inferior to the two “scientific romances” which you almost certainly know (The Time Machine and The Island of Dr. Moreau). Still, it shares important characteristics with the others, and together they make up an effective introduction to Well’s work.

The Wonderful Visit (1895) treats—among other things—with th
Aqsa
Read for March Reading Sprint-2019 in Buddy Reads.

This was the most extraordinary tale.

“It’s very simple,” said the voice, “I’m an invisible man.”

Would you vanish if you found the secret to invisibility and try to gain all the advantages you could by concealing yourself from the human eyes? Yes? Most of us would. So did our friend in here.

I experienced a wild impulse to jest, to startle people, to clap men on the back, fling people's hats astray, and generally revel in my extraordinary advant
Dan
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A scientist invents a invisibility drug and slowly goes mad. Chaos ensues!

I read this as part of a colossal Invisible Man group read. We're all familiar with the basics of the tale. For a story written before R'lyeh sank beneath the waves, it was surprisingly readable.

So a scientist named Griffin invents a serum that makes him invisible. What's he do with it? Become an even bigger douche nozzle! Griffin becomes invisible and is suddenly above the law, stealing as he sees fit and cheapshotting pe
Paul Bryant
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-novels-aaargh
I thought this story could of been better. So when the guy invents invisibility it’s like bam! he’s invisible and immediately gets in a beef with the landlord who’s all are you a mad scientist what’s going on and so he gets mad and bags the guy and burns his apartment building down which is not cool and he end up in the street totally naked this is the guy not the landlord because he has no invisible clothes so if he wears clothes then he’s visible and there would be no point but all his clothes ...more
Merphy Napier
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is my third book by this author and I think I've accepted that this author isn't for me. I always like the concepts but never seem to like the execution ...more
Stephen
2.0 stars. I had not read this book in many years and so I decided to re-read it over the weekend. In retrospect, this might have been a big mistake. Previously, I had very fond memories of the book as one of the best of the “classic” horror stories along with Dracula, Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Well, it is certainly a classic of the genre, but I no longer feel like it deserves a place among the elite of its peers.

If can I may borrow and paraphrase from the
Brett C
I enjoyed this from finish to start. H.G. Wells did a great job of blending science fiction, crime, and subtle horror. Dr. Griffin was a highly respected physicist who dedicated his research to optics. He invented a way to manipulate the human body's refraction index to that of air. This prevented the body from absorbing and reflecting light therefore making him completely invisible. The story started when he is already the Invisible Man and attempting to reverse the process. Dr. Griffin was a s ...more
AMEERA
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
1.75
i love every interesting and weird books
and the title of this book was enough to make me read it and I read it but wasn't
interested at all
Will M.
I won't deny the fact that at one point in my childhood, I wanted to become invisible. It wasn't the top priority in my list of "I hope one day I'd suddenly have this super power", but it was still there, probably at number 6 lagging behind Wolverine's Claws, flying, super strength, teleportation, and Johnny Storm's powers. I haven't thought of the consequences of being invisible then because I didn't contemplate on things that much when I was a child. I mean, who would do that?

Take note that I
W
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
First encountered as an Urdu translation,when I was a kid. Hugely enjoyable at the time,and memorable too.

Decided to revisit it,after all these years. It didn't disappoint. A scientist finds a way to become invisible,and dreams of the advantages it would bring him.

But a whole lot of undesirable,unintended consequences follow. He finds himself in trouble. Still,his cruelty and selfishness compel him to try and unleash a "reign of terror".

Lively pace and good action. A quick read,fairly enjoyable,
Susan Budd
I was eager to read The Invisible Man (1897) by H. G. Wells after enjoying my recent reread of Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886). Both are science fiction novels that speculate about chemistry.

Dr. Jekyll’s chemical potion transforms him into Mr. Hyde so he can indulge in his debaucheries undetected and unhampered by moral conscience. Griffin’s potion bleaches his blood so that his technological device can render him invisible and he can do whatever he w
Fabian {Councillor}
“I went over the heads of the things a man reckons desirable. No doubt invisibility made it possible to get them, but it made it impossible to enjoy them when they are got.”

Now having finished my third foray into H.G. Wells territory after The Time Machine and the highly entertaining The Island of Dr. Moreau, I am beginning to slowly consider him one of my personal favorite creative writers of the sci-fi genre. His impact on the early roots of the genre cannot be dismissed and has pr
Amy
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Do you think the notion of an invisible man was really foreign to the readers during the time Wells wrote? While I found this book moderately entertaining, thought the scientific "theories" were thought-provoking, and felt there were seeds of some really potent themes (however undernourished the seeds turned out to be), I feel like Wells was totally preoccupied with trying to describe to the reader what it would be like to have an invisible man in our midst. This isn't a concept that I (as a mod ...more
Barbara
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it

For fun, I decided to revisit this classic to see how it holds up.

The story is about a brilliant but troubled molecular physicist named Griffin who discovers a way to make himself invisible. Griffin then goes on a crime spree, at first just stealing things he needs, like food, clothes, etc. However Griffin's mental health quickly deteriorates, and he becomes a full blown sociopath.

There are some funny parts at the beginning of the book, when Griffin takes a room in a small rural boarding house
Ian
I think the idea of invisibility has long fascinated people. Many of us will have heard the ancient story of the Ring of Gyges and its power of invisibility. In that tale the opportunity to act without consequences results in moral corrosion. In Wells’ novel the central character is obsessed with what he might gain from the ability to make himself invisible, but he finds that his new power is not all he had hoped for. I’ll say no more for fear of spoilers.

I’ve always considered this story one of
Vince
Jan 31, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad and I are huge fans of classic Universal Horror movies from the 1930's and 40's. We watch them every October. Every movie from Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolfman we've seen it all. But one in particular was my favorite that I've seen numerous times which was The Invisible Man starring Claude Rains as the title character. I was enraptured by his performance and up until now, I have never read the source material. Was it better than the movie? Not in my opinion, no. Was it a good book? S ...more
Stepheny

Dear Iron Invisible Man,

I have recently been informed of your actions in regards to invisibility. Let me just tell you- there are some great advantages to being invisible and with that comes a great responsibility. I am absolutely appalled at your behavior and I intend to dictate some rules and boundaries for you. The Minister for Magic has summoned me and requested that I write you a letter.

This letter is intended to set you to rights. Here are your guidelines for you to keep in mind while you
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was highly entertaining, much more than I had anticipated. I never know what to expect, when picking up one of the classics, and I knew next to nothing of this one. I didn’t bother to read the synopsis, and I’ve learned the hard way to never, ever read the introduction prior to the story. Especially on these older works, where it’s common practice to spoil major plot points assuming everyone already knows the story. That’s so annoying.

Anyhow, going into this story with fresh eyes was p
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️[9/10]
This is what a supposedly serious review of the popular, bestselling, turn-of-the-century sci-fi novel looks like when written by a dunkin' dunce like me- full of gaping holes and disconnected thoughts and jumbled array of funny ideas.

FOR THOSE THAT KNOWS NOT WHAT GRIFFIN IS:
As the title suggests,
✅ He is invisible. An invisible albino , to be precise.(Makes things easier. If you ever plan on putting this theory to test, you should probably hunt down albi
Lee  (the Book Butcher)
Sep 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Read like a classic Black and white horror film. The concept of and invisible human is a familiar one many authors and filmmakers have taken the concept which probably predates H.G Wells and expanded it.

One can easily break the invisible man into three parts. The first is a sort of mystery where the reader is introduced to the man and hints are dropped as to his condition. no need to be careful about spoilers it's in the title he's invisible. so the locals trying to catch
Goodreads Librari...: please add page number 3 8 Sep 06, 2022 08:05AM

• Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
  • The Canterville Ghost
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger #1)
  • Around the World in Eighty Days
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • Treasure Island
  • Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • Gulliver's Travels: Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World.
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • The Story of My Life
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • The Pandarus File
  • Dracula
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Saddleback's Illustrated Classics)
  • The Lazarus Men
See top shelves…
Herbert George Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government scholarship in 1884, ...more

Articles featuring this book

Dystopias, alien invasions, regenerated dinosaurs, space operas, multiverses, and more, the realm of science fiction takes readers out of this...
“All men, however highly educated, retain some superstitious inklings.” 105 likes
“Alone-- it is wonderful how little a man can do alone! To rob a little, to hurt a little, and there is the end.” 49 likes