Start by marking “Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)” as Want to Read:
Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)

Defending Angels

(Beaufort & Company #1)

With a long list of ethereal clients who need her help, Savannah lawyer Brianna Winston Beaufort's career choice is beginning to haunt her

An already dead businessman needs Bree's help to find his murderer and prove his innocence against the charge of greed, which comes from the mightiest hand of the law, the Celestial Court. And the verdict in this case could put Bree's l
Published December 2nd 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Defending Angels, please sign up.
Elizabeth It's been a few years since I last read this series and only just started rereading this weekend, but from what I remember: Yes, you get a clear sense…moreIt's been a few years since I last read this series and only just started rereading this weekend, but from what I remember: Yes, you get a clear sense of being in Savannah from the various descriptions. The author was very good about pulling in detail so you didn't feel like it was set just anywhere. I remember getting nostalgic about Savannah reading the series. Hope that helps.(less)

Start your review of Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
The Flooze
**3.5**

Defending Angels is the first book in the Beaufort & Company series. A blend of mystery and fantasy, the story focuses on Brianna Winston-Beaufort as she takes over her great-uncle’s hinky law practice in Savannah. It’s a concept with a lot of potential, although the thread of the story gets muddled at times.

The mystery aspect is relatively straightforward: Determine who murdered a local magnate and why. Bree runs about town conducting some rather weak interviews in the hope of c
Glenna
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
A cosy mystery-comfort food for my soul! This had everything you could want for a quick fun read. A murder, a handsome detective, fun characters, and a dog. Add angels and the fact that she had to defend the dead guy in heavenly court and what more could you ask for. Finished it in 2 days -- another plus for a summer, "yeah I just got out of school" read.
fleurette
Well, this is definitely not a book that will stay with you for years, in fact, I believe that I will not remember reading it in a month or so.

I think that this book is a kind of missed opportunity. The whole idea behind the plot is really interesting and innovative, the characters are likeable and the suspense part is good enough. Still, the book is missing something, it's not as entertaining as it could be, it doesn't grab your attention. And it's sad because it could be so much more.

What I
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Defending Angels is more a mystery or legal novel than an urban fantasy or paranormal mystery. The fantasy is barely there, and I guess I expected more angels and less defending. Even still, the paranormal characters are interesting, and the case is decent. The story was able to keep my interest throughout even though I didn't really care who killed who. I stuck in there to find out more about the angels and the Celestial Sphere, and unfortunately, there isn't much said about it. I was disappoin ...more
Marlyn
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
Our heroine, Bree Winston-Beaufort inherits a law practice in Savannah from her uncle. Her first night in town, as she is unpacking, she receives a call from billionaire Benjamin Skinner, who just happens to have died earlier that day. She is as confused by this as she is by the fact that most people are unable to find her office, until she talks to one of her old law professors, who informs her that she is to try this case in the Celestial Courts, where Skinner has been charged with greed.
Phoena
Sep 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish this book. When I got to the half-way point, I realized I was so bored. She was STILL just starting her first case -- 150 pages in and no progress had been made! Most of the time, even with a crappy book, I feel invested enough to finish reading, but I found this incredibly boring and pointless. Don't waste your time!
Myhotstylist
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Meet Bree Beaufort, Savannah Georgia's newest attorney for the Celestial Court. Her first case involves solving the murder of a local businessman who is accused by the court of greed, one of the 7 deadly sins.

To be honest, im not sure how I feel about this book. The premise was really good, and there were times throughout the book that really grabbed your attention, but then fell flat again after a few pages of excitement. Bree as a character is somewhat likeable, but ultimately forgetable. I h
Faithann
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Faithann by: Karen Spor
Shelves: 2012
I don't usually read mystery novels, but my mom recommended this book, so I checked it out from my local library and gave it a shot. It was so worth it, and I have already reserved the second book and can't wait to get the call that it's in and ready for pick-up.

Brianna has been practising law in her father's law firm, but when her Great Uncle Franklin dies and leaves her his client list, she packs up and moves to Savannah to strike out on her own. While waiting for her Great Uncle's
Lynette
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a debute for a new series called Beaufort and Company Mysteries. This new series starts off with a bang. The characters are wonderful and exciting to follow. The heroine, Bree, is described as the woman that goes where angels fear to tread and you can believe it. The pages turn quickly as the story builds and the characters grow. The sister, Antonoia, is what every little sisters is and can be in her quirky way of going through life.

All the other characters that make up the
Heather T
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
It's between okay and I liked and I see potential so I'm giving it a chance. I liked that the idea was something that I haven't seen before and I'm excited to find out what will happen next. I see some missed opportunities with whatever is going on action wise, but I think the author might be trying to remain vague so that the plot can unfold further in future books. If the "action" sequences had a little more substance to them I would have really enjoyed it. Hopefully the next one will reveal m ...more
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept. Bree inherits her Uncle Franklin's law practice in Savannah, and then the weirdness begins. People are not what they appear to be and they know more about Bree than she has shared. Celestial court beckons.
Jeanna Read
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome new series! I rarely read 2 books in a series in a row, but I would happily read book 2 in this series right now! Highly recommend.
Shirley
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What marvelous book! I will be following this series. Thanks to the author and the mountain of research that made this possible.
Pam
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary Stanton introduces Brianna (Bree) Beaufort, attorney. Bree has inherited her Uncle’s practice and his cases. She is determined to set up her own practice and goes about finding a place to rent until her Uncle’s office is restored after a fire that had resulted in his death. She finds a place, in the middle of a cemetery which comes with a very interesting landlady. Everyone she meets and employs seem to know more than she does about her strange first case.
You see, Benny Skinner is dea
Leia3771
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Took me forever to finish this book and the only reason I can think of this is the plot holes surrounding her "client". Everyone left the main character in the dark for almost the entire book and even then didn't reveal much at all.

Just as much fault is to the main character who was just seeping in denial. It was actually sad how she refused to believe in the supernatural even though she meets a ghost about 15 pages in.

Hahhhhh I give this a 3.5. I'm going to try the second book, but I'm not to
Anna Katharine
I picked this up at Second Read Books (highly recommended) on vacation in St. Augustine. It was an amusing, funny, fast vacation read. Clever paranormal premise, enough supernatural activity to be fun without being forced, and a great cast of characters. I'm amused by the idea of a logical, facts-driven lawyer having to deal with ghosts and the afterlife. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Mary Stanton is actually the real name of Claudia Bishop, whose Hemlock Falls mysteries I've enjoyed i ...more
Mary Ann
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great concept! I enjoyed the teasing hints to give us an idea of what was going on. It was written in such a way that I felt like I was the main character, especially when she gets frustrated. I love the cast of characters. There were some twists and a major reveal at the end of the novel! Already looking forward to the next book in the series!
Karenb
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ocls
This book had a lot of potential and so does the series. But I won't be reading any of them. This one was enough to convince me to move on to other books or reread a past favorite. My time would be better spent binge watching on Netflix. The plot was okay. I never felt any connection with any of the characters. Well, except I liked the dog. Sasha.
Valerie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
First time reading this author. Loved how she set up the story and characters. By the time I reached the end of the book I was looking for the next only to find I had to be placed on a waiting list.
Tracy Hall
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was kinda strange, but I think I might try reading it again, as I really like this author
Susan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Wish the author would write more.
Janet Robel
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice mystery with a good heroine.
Jessica
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery, cozy
This was an interesting read, but It was a bit frustrating that it's not until page 209 that you start to get a glimmer of what is happening/cosmology in the book.
Anna
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good writing interesting premise.
Kate Thorson
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, spiritual
A wonderful story! An interesting take on an American southern mystery sprinkled with some spiritual/supernatural undertones.
Leslie Angel
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
A fun series, very weird and woo-woo but nice comfy characters.
Wendy
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Brianna (Bree) Winston-Beaufort is striking out on her own, having inherited her eccentric uncle's law practice in Savannah, Georgia. She could not be more excited: it’s an opportunity to prove herself and to move away from her well-meaning but overbearing parents. Unfortunately, her uncle's law office fell victim to fire, and so Bree is forced to find a temporary working space during the renovation process. She finds a house on Angelus Street that is too good to pass up. The price is right and ...more
Sen
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Amanda
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Defending Angels by Mary Stanton was a somewhat awkward start for an interesting new paranormal mystery series starring Briana "Bree" Beaufort, newbie lawyer who inherits her uncle's practice. The premise of the series is a unique take on the Southern gothic set in Savannah, GA--notable haunted heartland of the south. Bree's first client Benjamin Skinner is a recently deceased billionaire charged with Greed, one of the Seven Deadly Felonies, to be tried in Court of Celestial Law. However, the ev ...more
John
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As most folks are aware, the first book in a series drops names and relies on character development, so I've given this one a 4th star for being a promising series debut.
Bree came off as a quite likable protagonist; rooting for her came easy. However, I must admit that she was a bit dwarfed by the supporting cast - on audio I suspect this effect was highlighted by the author's dramatic (campy?) inflection when they spoke. The incident of her finding the dog Sasha struck me as slightly dark, but
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Cozy Mystery Corner : Beaufort & Company (Defending Angels) - Mary Stanton 16 41 Jul 17, 2015 12:50PM

• A Familiar Tail (Witch's Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • Death Before Decaf (A Java Jive Mystery, #1)
  • Stolen Angels
  • Ghost of a Chance: A Karma Marx Mystery
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #1)
  • A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch, #1)
  • To Have and To Code (A Modern Witch, #0.5)
  • Witches Under Way (WitchLight Trilogy, #2)
  • A Hidden Witch (A Modern Witch, #2)
  • A Witch Central Wedding (A Modern Witch, #3.5)
  • A Reckless Witch (A Modern Witch, #3)
  • A Celtic Witch (A Modern Witch, #6)
  • Witches on Parole (WitchLight Trilogy, #1)
  • A Different Witch (A Modern Witch, #5)
  • A Nomadic Witch (A Modern Witch, #4)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was p

Beaufort & Company (5 books)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company, #2)
  • Avenging Angels (Beaufort & Company, #3)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)
  • Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company, #5)
“This was our last night. We only had one curtain call, Bree. And I thought they were going to give us a standing ovation, but no-o-o-. Do you know why half the audience stood up?"
"To get a head start on the traffic," Bree said.
"To get a head start on the traffic," Antonia agreed in indignation. "I mean, here we are, dancing and singing our little guts out, and all those folks want to do is get to bed early. I ask you, whatever happened to common courtesy? Whatever happened to decent manners? Doesn't anyone care about craft anymore? And on top of that, it's not even nice.”
17 likes
“Forget the garden rake. Remember that time you dived over the desk at that guy in moot court? Had him by the throat in two seconds flat, that's what I heard."
"You heard wrong."
"And they suspended you for how long?" Antonia innocently asked.
"A day. And I apologized. Actually I crawled like a slug and ate dirt," Bree said ruefully. "But that was years ago, and have I pulled a stunt like that again? No, I have not.”
1 likes