Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VII > Team Avarice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,107 (1107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:24AM) (new)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:25AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 08, 2019 04:47AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
Avarice Mini-Challenge Bingo Cards

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 7: by Ashleigh (last edited Sep 20, 2019 02:48AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 586 comments Points
Points/page:
Books between 100 and 499 pages = 0.1 points per page
Books between 500 and 799 pages = 0.15 points per page
Books 800 pages or more = 0.2 points per page

Points/Sin reason note that these are either / or, NOT stacking
7 points for achieving Sin Bingo (matching all three elements / two for Avarice)
5 points for each book used for colour cover
3 points for each book used for top shelf
1 point for each book used for sin specification (EXCEPT for Avarice, which gets 0 points)

BOM points
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points

Accuracy points
Teams that stay in the 80% - 120% reading range get an additional 50 points
Teams that fall below the 80% mark get a penalty of -20 points
Teams that go over the 120% cap but stay under the 250% get a penalty of -100 points
Teams that go over the 250% mark get a penalty of -200 points

--------------------------

Sins
◈ Lust
- Color: Red
- Genre: Guilty Pleasure
- Criteria: Books that you lust after (new releases- published 2019 or ARCs - your favorite author, everybody has read but you, gorgeous covers, etc...). Books with lustful items on the cover (High heels, handcuffs, silk ribbons, Lace, bondage, ...). Books that are too steamy for hot weather!

◈ Envy
- Color: Green
- Genre: Young Adult
- Criteria: Books that members from other teams have read (during 2019)

◈ Pride
- Color: Purple
- Genre: Contemporary
- Criteria: Only Award-Winning Books - Any Award as long as it can be linked or appears on Goodreads book page. Books with a mirror or jewels on the cover. Really Shiny books. LGBT books.

◈ Wrath
- Color: Brown
- Genre: Space Opera
- Criteria: Books that enrage you (series that should have ended already, really hateful characters, some turn that made you froth at the mouth, etc)

◈ Sloth
- Color: Blue
- Genre: Dark Fantasy
- Criteria: Books that have been on your TBR for at least 2 years. Books from authors that take a long time to write the next installment on a series (Yes Patrick Rothfuss, George R.R. Martin and Abigail Roux we're looking at you!). Books from a series that you put on hold and are taking a long time to get back to it.

◈ Gluttony
- Color: Pink
- Genre: Historical Romance
- Criteria: 600+ page books. Books in a very long series (12+ books). Books from a series or author that you can't stop binge reading. Books that have covers you want to eat (i.e covers that have food or drink on them. Yes, chocolate covered strawberries count)

◈ Greed
- Color: Yellow
- Genre: Dystopia
- Criteria: Anything Goes (i.e. a book you can't fit in elsewhere)

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 586 comments r

message 9: by Ashleigh (new)

message 10: by Ashleigh (new)

message 11: by Cathy M. (last edited Oct 04, 2019 02:50PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Start Times

Please remember: Game starts October 7th, at 7 AM Sydney Australia (AEST).

Sydney (AEST)		7AM	Oct 7th (Mon)
LA (PST) 1PM Oct 6th (Sun)
NY (EST) 4PM Oct 6th (Sun)
London (BST) 9PM Oct 6th (Sun)

Time Converter

Countdown Clock

Time Zone Converter

message 12: by Cathy M. (last edited Sep 30, 2019 04:10PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Sin Bingo Recs

◈ Lust ~ Red, Guilty Pleasure, Books that you lust after/Lustful items on cover/Steamy

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8) by Charlaine Harris A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn

◈ Envy ~ Green, YA, Books that members from other teams have read in 2019

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan ~ Read by Melissa on Sloth Aug 2019
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers ~ Read by Stacie on Sloth 8/9/19
Graceling by Kristin Cashore ~ Read by Jammin Jenny of Sloth on 6/19/19
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling ~ Read by
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling ~ Read by Tea on Sloth 4/4/19
Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9) by Rachel Caine - Read by Ora on Team Greed
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith ~ Will be read by Melindam on Sloth but won't qualify for Bingo until after she does!

◈ Pride ~ Purple, Contemporary, Award-Winning Books/Mirror or jewels on the cover/Shiny books/LGBT books

Rise of Heroes (Masks #1) by Hayden Thorne The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer Part & Parcel (Sidewinder, #3) by Abigail Roux Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1) by Avon Gale Outsider (Exodus End, #2) by Olivia Cunning

◈ Wrath ~ Brown, Space Opera, Books that enrage you -- this will depend on if it enrages you somehow & the cover you read

We Are Legion (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Will Save the Galaxy for Food by Yahtzee Croshaw Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5) by Pierce Brown Undercity (Major Bhaajan, #1) by Catherine Asaro Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1) by Marko Kloos A Soldier in Love by A. Petrov Guardian (The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier, #3) by Jack Campbell

◈ Sloth ~ Blue, Dark Fantasy, On your TBR for at least 2 years/Authors that take a long time to write the next installment on a series/Books from a series that you put on hold and are taking a long time to get back to it (these will depend on if you can meet the criteria)

Weaveworld by Clive Barker The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5) by Laurell K. Hamilton Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8) by Laurell K. Hamilton Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11) by Laurell K. Hamilton Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman

◈ Gluttony ~ Pink, Historical Romance, 600+ page books/Very long series (12+ books)/Series or author that you can't stop binge reading/Covers you want to eat

The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11) by Stephanie Laurens ~ 27 books in series

◈ Greed ~ Yellow, Dystopia, Anything Goes

The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey The Rule of One (The Rule of One, #1) by Ashley Saunders Recursion by Blake Crouch Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1) by Megan Crewe Authority (Southern Reach, #2) by Jeff VanderMeer

message 13: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Reserved

message 14: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 586 comments Hi everybody! Very excited to get this round of TT started! I've done quite a few of these but I don't think I've ever captained a team for TT before. But don't fear, I have faith that my lovely co-captain Cathy and I will work as a team to captain this ship and hopefully take us to a win!

I tend to read a lot of Fantasy/Sci-fi/Thriller type books, both YA and Adult, but to be honest, I'll read anything haha.

Cathy has devised a planning spreadsheet (link below) which will help us greatly to add books to the team ss. Feel free to use it, but if you'd prefer not to use, that's okay! If you could post your books here, or leave a comment letting us know you've finished, we can pick them up easily.

Planning Spreadsheet

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

message 15: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I'm Vikki from Northern Ireland. I've taken part in a lot of the previous tower team challenges and loved them.

I tend to read a lot of crime/thriller and chick lit, but I also like historical, fantasy, paranormal & classics.

Looking forward to getting started reading for this!!

message 16: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 586 comments Hi Vikki! I'm from England, so we'll be on the same timezone :)

message 17: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 2357 comments Hello Team Avarice! :)

This is Team Sloth dropping by & wishing You All happy reading! :)

description

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Team!!

I'm in the US (Ohio) and I read mostly romance (almost all genres) and contemporary fiction, but love a good mystery/psychological thriller with a few nonfiction/biographies thrown in here and there as well.

I'm excited to get this challenge started, but this is my very first time with TT, so don't be afraid to slap me on the hand and show me where I've gone wrong. :)

message 19: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Ora from Team Greed

HI! another greedy reading team!! Happy reading!

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments Hi Team!! This is my first TT and I'm so excited to start!

I see some familiar captains (Hi Ash!! Hi Cathy!!!)

I'm in NYC. I read a lot of YA and thrillers, but I'll read just about anything

message 21: by Namita (new)

Namita  | 543 comments Hi everyone!! I'm Namita and this is my first time playing this and I'm super excited!!

Hi Cathy and Ashleigh!!

message 22: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Team Avarice is now open for business :)

message 23: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Hi everyone, excited to play this new round of TT with you! I have played TT in the past (though this one is slightly different) and co-captained for several challenges so if you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! We still have a little over 2 weeks to go before the game starts so in the meantime, please make sure you read thru the rules/important info (linked by Ashleigh above) and let us know if there's anything you need help with.

A little about me: I am an Office Manager in a law firm in Los Angeles (PST time). Am usually around a couple times per day, depending on how busy I am at work, but around more consistently at night.

I read pretty much any genre (except NF unless I REALLY have to for a challenge) and go thru my moods, but right now my genre of choice is Fantasy/Urban Fantasy.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

message 24: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Vikki wrote: "I'm Vikki from Northern Ireland. I've taken part in a lot of the previous tower team challenges and loved them.

I tend to read a lot of crime/thriller and chick lit, but I also like historical, fa..."

Welcome Vikki! Another TT veteran on the team :)

message 25: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Melindam wrote: "Hello Team Avarice! :)

This is Team Sloth dropping by & wishing You All happy reading! :)

"

How sweet, thanks Melindam!

message 26: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Cyndee wrote: "Hi Team!!

I'm in the US (Ohio) and I read mostly romance (almost all genres) and contemporary fiction, but love a good mystery/psychological thriller with a few nonfiction/biographies thrown in h..."

Welcome Cyndee! No need for any slapping :P Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have, or even PM me or Ashleigh if you have any questions. It may seem a little daunting at first with all the rules and things to remember, but in the end, you'll pick it up no problem. Just try to have fun!

message 27: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Ora wrote: "Ora from Team Greed

HI! another greedy reading team!! Happy reading!

"

Very sweet, thanks Ora!

message 28: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Jill wrote: "Hi Team!! This is my first TT and I'm so excited to start!

I see some familiar captains (Hi Ash!! Hi Cathy!!!)

I'm in NYC. I read a lot of YA and thrillers, but I'll read just about anything"

I thought that was you!! It's like a mini-Zombie Band reunion with you, me and Asheigh :D Great to be on a team with you again!

message 29: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Namita wrote: "Hi everyone!! I'm Namita and this is my first time playing this and I'm super excited!!

Hi Cathy and Ashleigh!!"

Hi Namita, welcome to the team! For some reason I thought you've played before. You'll be hooked on it like the rest of us veterans in no time!

message 30: by Cathy M. (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:25PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Can everyone please check to make sure you can open & edit the Planning Spreadsheet? It's linked in Post #6 (or in Ashleigh's introduction post).

Please note only the non-highlighted areas should be filled in. The bright yellow areas are where the formulas are set for points and the check-boxes are for me & Ashleigh to mark when we've checked/verified books and have posted them to our main sheet.

message 31: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 586 comments Hi Cyndee, Jill and Namita!

I totally forgot that we were all on the Zombie Band team for Wheel-a-thon, Cathy and Jill haha! I missed WaT this year for some reason. Not sure what happened there, but I've just looked to see when it was happening this year and it started in June! Oh well, there's always next year haha.

Like Cathy said above, this challenge is pretty easy to pick up and if you've got any questions, we'll be here to help. And I'm sure everyone's who already addicted to TT will be after this round haha :)

message 32: by Namita (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:43PM) (new)

Namita  | 543 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Namita wrote: "Hi everyone!! I'm Namita and this is my first time playing this and I'm super excited!!

Hi Cathy and Ashleigh!!"

Hi Namita, welcome to the team! For some reason I thought you've p..."

Looking forward to it.

So, basically read a book and qualify it for one of the Seven Sins...that's it!! Have I missed something?

message 33: by Namita (last edited Sep 20, 2019 01:04PM) (new)

Namita  | 543 comments The link for the Planning SS in Message 6 takes me to Goodreads.com not to the actual SS.

The link in Message 14 works fine!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 20, 2019 01:19PM) (new)

Cathy M. wrote: "Can everyone please check to make sure you can open & edit the Planning Spreadsheet? It's linked in Post #6 (or in Ashleigh's introduction post).

Please note only the non-highlighted areas should ..."

I opened it earlier and added it to my google drive, but it was View Only. Now when I click the link it just takes me to my goodreads homepage. It could just be that I'm seriously technology challenged this afternoon. :)

All good now. :)

message 35: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Namita wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Namita wrote: "Hi everyone!! I'm Namita and this is my first time playing this and I'm super excited!!

Hi Cathy and Ashleigh!!"

Hi Namita, welcome to the team! For some reason I..."

That’s pretty much it for now! We can talk about how competitive we want to be, reading more for Sin Points or trying to get Sin Bingo or trying for one of the other “prizes”, but if you look at the point structure, we get more points for pages and BOMs. And color covers are easy to find which gives the most points for the Sins (besides Bingo).

Plus we’ll have a mini-challenge or 2 thrown in, but don’t have that info yet. Probably about mid-way thru and closer to end.

message 36: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Cyndee wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Can everyone please check to make sure you can open & edit the Planning Spreadsheet? It's linked in Post #6 (or in Ashleigh's introduction post).

Please note only the non-highligh..."

No it’s peobably my fault. I think when I gave the link to Ashleigh it was locked so I unlocked it for edit access. Please try the link in Ashleigh’s intro message and we’ll get the other link fixed.

message 37: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments @Ash what are you reading for YABC next month?

I have nothing planned for October yet. I'm moving on Monday and I don't know what my new library will be like. It's a much smaller lib, so I wanted to feel it out next week before I started planning :D

message 38: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 586 comments @Cyndee that's pretty much it! Until the mini-challenges come out, but we don't need to worry about them just yet

@Jill no clue haha! I planned tooooooooooooooooo many BRs for September and I've read like 7 or 8 of them and been stressed out this whole month, so I'm not gonna push myself next month. Definitely reading Gideon the Ninth and Wilder Girls for BOM. Also, my library holds for Capturing the Devil, Five Dark Fates, Kingdom of Souls and Serpant & Dove are available soon, so I'll be jumping into them definitely. Other than that.. we're gonna wing it!

message 39: by Cathy M. (last edited Sep 20, 2019 02:01PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Please remember: Game starts October 7th, at 7 AM Sydney Australia (AEST). There will probably be a Countdown Clock soon but here is a guideline (hopefully these are correct!):

Sydney (AEST)		7AM	Oct 7th (Mon)
LA (PST) 1PM Oct 6th (Sun)
NY (EST) 4PM Oct 6th (Sun)
London (BST) 9PM Oct 6th (Sun)

Any books started before this time will not count.

message 40: by maria helena (last edited Sep 20, 2019 02:02PM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1762 comments Hi! I’m maria helena (or MH for short) and I’m from Sweden. I’ve done almost all of the TT and many other NBRC team challenges, and been a captain for many of them. TT is one of my favourite challenges and it looks like this round is going to be great.

I read mostly mystery and crime novels, but occasionally venture into other genres. I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump this year, but I’m hoping this challenge will help me get out of it.

message 41: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments maria helena wrote: "Hi! I’m maria helena (or MH for short) and I’m from Sweden. I’ve done almost all of the TT and many other NBRC team challenges, and been a captain for many of them. TT is one of my favourite challe..."

Great to meet you Maria Helena! I know I've seen you around in previous challenges so good to finally be on a team with you.

I've been on a little slump since Wheel ended - I overdid it, especially towards the end, so I haven't been reading quite as much as before. Hope you find some wonderful reads to get you out of your slump!

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments Ashleigh wrote: "@Cyndee that's pretty much it! Until the mini-challenges come out, but we don't need to worry about them just yet

@Jill no clue haha! I planned tooooooooooooooooo many BRs for September and I've r..."

I DNFd Wilder Girls after 100 pages. Ugh idk if I wanna try it again..Keep me updated what you plan on reading! I will try to match. I've been checking the October Planned Reads..not too much posted on there yet..

message 43: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Jill wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "@Cyndee that's pretty much it! Until the mini-challenges come out, but we don't need to worry about them just yet

@Jill no clue haha! I planned tooooooooooooooooo many BRs for Sep..."

I'm all about the BOM points so I'll be reading it but oh no, hope I don't have the same reaction!

message 44: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments Nice to lots of other veterans here. I'm sure the newbies to Tower Teams will soon be hooked too. I've also done other challenges like wheelathon. Gutted I missed that earlier this year. By the time I realised it was happening, it was almost over.

Is it just me or does 6th October still feel likes AGES away?!

message 45: by Namita (last edited Sep 20, 2019 04:56PM) (new)

Namita  | 543 comments I'll definitely read the BOM Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1) by Tamsyn Muir

The more pages the better chance of winning? I'm competitive....lol

Books and More with Kristin G | 120 comments Hello everyone, my name is Kristin and I am from Los Angeles, CA. I am a full time student.

I read mostly YA specifically fantasy/sci-fi, but I do also read a few contemporary and romance. I also like reading autobiographies of my favorite celebrities.

I have participated in a couple of TT in the past, so I am excited to go again with all of you!

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments I’m pissed I missed wheel too!! Idk how that happened..

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 163 comments Hi everyone, I am Stephanie and I am from the US specifically Michigan. I am a part time librarian so I have more book that I want to read then I could ever read. This is my first TT and I am so excited I have lots of free time next month. I read every genre so I can take on anything.

I am bit confused on the reading range thing. Do we have a different goal for each sin?

message 49: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments Jill wrote: "I’m pissed I missed wheel too!! Idk how that happened.."

I felt the exact same. I've no idea how I only realised when it was almost over. I love these kind of challenges & try to take part as often as I can.

message 50: by Jill (new)

Jill | 938 comments Vikki wrote: "Jill wrote: "I’m pissed I missed wheel too!! Idk how that happened.."

I felt the exact same. I've no idea how I only realised when it was almost over. I love these kind of challenges & try to take..."

Yeah, I somehow missed it in the newsletter too..strange

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23