Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Wilder Girls
This topic is about Wilder Girls
Books of the Month > Wilder Girls by Rory Power - October 2019 YA BOM - starts 16 October

Comments Showing 1-50 of 340 (340 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod

It's been eighteen months since the Raxter School for Girls was put under quarantine. Since the Tox hit and pulled Hetty's life out from under her.

It started slow. First the teachers died one by one. Then it began to infect the students, turning their bodies strange and foreign. Now, cut off from the rest of the world and left to fend for themselves on their island home, the girls don't dare wander outside the school's fence, where the Tox has made the woods wild and dangerous. They wait for the cure they were promised as the Tox seeps into everything.

But when Byatt goes missing, Hetty will do anything to find her, even if it means breaking quarantine and braving the horrors that lie beyond the fence. And when she does, Hetty learns that there's more to their story, to their life at Raxter, than she could have ever thought true.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 04, 2019 02:44AM) (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. We ask for volunteers to write the discussion questions for each section, and to engage with responses from the other readers.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 20, 2019 08:06AM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages MPDQs

16 Oct 1 - 3 1-54 [[Frankie]] (Ira)
17 Oct 4 - 8 55-130 Cat (Wrath)
18 Oct Hetty - 13 131-210 Cathy M (Avarice)
19 Oct 14 - 19 211-286 Ora (Greed)
20 Oct 20 - end 287-end Jenny (Lust)

I've not got a hard copy, so if anyone's got page numbers, shout out & I'll update...

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 04, 2019 02:44AM) (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 08, 2019 08:46AM) (new) - added it

Volunteers

Cat (Wrath)
Lexi (Acedia)
Jenny (Lust)
Christina (Voracity)
Judith (Lust)
Cathy M (Avarice - back up)
Joy (Sloth)
Snowtulip (Sloth)
Suzanne (Envy)
Allison Ann (Ira)
Tammie (Invidia)
Ashleigh (Avarice)
Ora (Greed)
Sophie (Wrath - back up)
Jammin Jenny (Sloth)
Stacey (Pride)
Jessi (Ira - back-up)
[[Frankie]] (Ira)
Louise (Gluttony)
Annalisa (Superbia)
Tina (Invidia)
Navi (Acedia)

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 22, 2019 01:16PM) (new) - added it

For Tower Teams:
- use 368 as the page count, regardless of the version read
- final decision - the cover is green

message 7: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat (cat_uk) | 6487 comments Mod
I'm in for this one, and to set questions :)

message 8: by Lexi (last edited Sep 19, 2019 06:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2519 comments More horror for October. I also volunteering for DQs

Edited: Team Acedia

Jenny | 4729 comments Looking forward to this one. Volunteering as well.

message 10: by Cat (new) - added it

Lexi wrote: "More horror for October. I also volunteering for DQs"

'tis the season an' all that, right?! and isn't that an awesomely creepy cover?!

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Ugh, I just read this book in June so I can't participate this time. :(

message 12: by Cat (new) - added it

Alysa wrote: "Ugh, I just read this book in June so I can't participate this time. :("

well you can come and chat about it with us though?

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Cat wrote: "Alysa wrote: "Ugh, I just read this book in June so I can't participate this time. :("

well you can come and chat about it with us though?"

I guess so! It's still very fresh in my mind. *shudder*

(Random Q but would I still get Ruby Gem Coins for answering DQs even if I'm not actively reading the book?)

(Random Q the 2nd: I can't read it for Lava but would I still get possible regeneration points for discussion/answering DQs?)

message 14: by Cat (new) - added it

Random Q1: dunno. The coins are not my area of expertise. I guess so - the coins are rewarding participation, after all. Though answers of "can't remember" against every question would not fit the bill! ;-P

Random Q2: hmmmmm..... actually, I think Lava will be over by then - it's due to end 7 Oct, before this is BOM

message 15: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 11 comments Hoping to participate on this one - which would be my first BOTM with this group! I'm like 17th in line at my library on 10 copies so fingers crossed I can get it in time.

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Cat wrote: "Random Q1: dunno. The coins are not my area of expertise. I guess so - the coins are rewarding participation, after all. Though answers of "can't remember" against every question would not fit the ..."

Oh right, Lava will end before this BOM. Right now we're in that moment where it feels like it will go on forever and ever! :D

Haha on "can't remember" because oh, I DEFINITELY remember. Well, I guess we'll see how much I end up chatting/answering stuff here. I still own the book so I can always refer back to it anyway.

message 17: by Cat (new) - added it

Heather wrote: "Hoping to participate on this one - which would be my first BOTM with this group! I'm like 17th in line at my library on 10 copies so fingers crossed I can get it in time."

Fingers crossed! We love people to come chat about our BOMs and we'll come back if you join in a bit late :)

message 18: by Christina (last edited Sep 18, 2019 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina (chrissy__) | 1486 comments Okay I'm kinda scared now but I'm still gonna volunteer for DQs! 🙈

Edit: Team Voracity

message 19: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (last edited Sep 16, 2019 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judith (brownie72011) | 4694 comments Mod
I'm in for DQ's, though I'll probably be writing them from underneath the couch with the doors locked.

Edit: Team Lust

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'll volunteer for DQs.

message 21: by Joy (new)

Joy | 278 comments Volunteering for DQs

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Alysa wrote: "Cat wrote: "Random Q1: dunno. The coins are not my area of expertise. I guess so - the coins are rewarding participation, after all. Though answers of "can't remember" against every question would ..."

I assume that, vis-a-vis TT, participation in this one for me would still be only for fun (and possibly gem coins) but not for points, because I'm not reading the book during TT.
Oh well!

message 23: by Snowtulip (last edited Sep 20, 2019 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Snowtulip | 4390 comments Volunteering for DQs :)
(Sloth)

message 24: by Cat (new) - added it

Alysa wrote: "I assume that, vis-a-vis TT, participation in this one for me would still be only for fun (and possibly gem coins) but not for points, because I'm not reading the book during TT.
Oh well!..."

Sorry, yes :(

but you can definitely get gem coins for participation

Ashleigh | 584 comments Volunteering for DQs :)

Lau Maia | 54 comments I'll be joining in the reading

Sammy (sammystarbuck) | 4290 comments I think i'll read along with this one too. YA is not my genre, but I've seen a few GR buddies read this, and it looks interesting!

Suzanne | 3640 comments I'm volunteering for DQs (Team Envy)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments I'd like to volunteer for DQs - Team Ira.

Tammie | 2523 comments Volunteering for DQ's - Team Invidia

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Ashleigh & I are both from Team Avarice - since we're on the same team & both volunteered, can you please place me as a back-up?

Thank you!

message 32: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Team Greed
Volunteering for DQs

message 33: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Team Sloth
Volunteering for DQs

message 34: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie (drsophie) | 3328 comments Mod
I'll volunteer for DQs as well as a back up to Cat on team wrath

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1080 comments I'll volunteer for DQs. Team Pride.

message 36: by Joy (new)

Joy | 278 comments I already volunteered for DQs, but just noting that my team is Team Sloth.

message 37: by Minx (new) - rated it 3 stars

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments I will join in the reading :D

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1549 comments I will volunteer as back up for DQ's. Team Ira

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 2 comments I would love to join in this Group Read. I just brought a copy home from my library. :)

Trinia | 2136 comments Sweet! I'm joining in :D

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments I’d like to volunteer to write DQ’s for Team Ira. :]

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments I'm totally in for this! I've had the ARC for ages and never got around to it so this is perfect.

Louise | 2255 comments I’d like to volunteer for DQs please - Team Gluttony

message 44: by Missy (new)

Missy | 3 comments I would love to join in on this read

message 45: by Charity (new)

Charity Labounty (goteam10) | 9 comments I need advice there is this girl that i sit by in choir and every day in choir she is talking trash and crap about me and a bunch of other girls. I dont know what to do. I sent her and email asking her to plz stop and why she should stop doing what she is doing. And today we had a sub in choir and she kept making fun of our sub. I have about had it with her. What should i do???

message 46: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (bookwormdiva) I'm in for this!

Annalisa | 1239 comments I’ll volunteer for DQs. Team Superbia.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4248 comments I'm in for this one IF my library has it available in time. I'm in place as 1 of 3 in line. ***fingers crossed***

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 2 comments I would love to do this one! It will be my first time participating in a Group Read here.

message 50: by Navi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments I’ll volunteer for DQs if there’s any openings available. If not back up! Team Acedia

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7