Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
This topic is about Gideon the Ninth
Books of the Month > Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir - October 2019 Adult BOM - starts 7 October

Comments Showing 1-50 of 369 (369 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod

Gideon the Ninth is the most fun you'll ever have with a skeleton.

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit.

Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as necromantic skeletons. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won't set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 04, 2019 02:37AM) (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. We ask for volunteers to write the discussion questions for each section, and to engage with responses from the other readers.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 17, 2019 03:39AM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date		Chapters 	Pages		MPDQs
7 Oct 1 - 7 1-78 Jammin Jenny (Sloth)
8 Oct 8 - 13 79-152 [[Frankie]] (Ira)
9 Oct 14 - 20 153-231 Lexi (Acedia)
10 Oct 21 - 26 232-300 Ashleigh (Avarice)
11 Oct 27 - 33 301-378 Cat (Wrath)
12 Oct 34 - end 379-444 Jenny (Lust)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 04, 2019 02:38AM) (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 02, 2019 05:20AM) (new) - added it

Volunteers:

Cat (Wrath)
Jenny (Lust)
Lexi (Acedia)
Alysa (Ira - back up)
Judith (Lust)
Snowtulip (Sloth)
Cathy M (Avarice - back up)
Kerri (Ira)
Ashleigh (Avarice)
Suzanne (Envy)
Allison Ann (Ira)
Ora (Greed)
Jammin Jenny (Sloth)
[[Frankie]] (Ira - first choice)

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 08, 2019 06:14AM) (new) - added it

For Tower Teams:
- use 448 as the page count
- Dark Fantasy shelving noted
- Space Opera shelving noted
- Young Adult shelving noted
- no cover colour match

For audio readers:

message 7: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat (cat_uk) | 6482 comments Mod
Whilst I'm sad that my book didn't win, this sounds fantabulously silly, so a copy has been bought and I am ready to read & set questions (if the randomiser chooses)

Jenny | 4724 comments Oh yeah. Me too. DQs or not, the discussion should be interesting!
Volunteering.

message 9: by Lexi (last edited Sep 16, 2019 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2516 comments This is my nomination so also volunteering for DQs.

Edited: Team Acedia

Alysa H. | 3562 comments This looks really interesting but since it's not out yet, I don't know where I am in the library hold queue. Hopefully not too far down the list!

message 11: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (last edited Sep 16, 2019 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judith (brownie72011) | 4690 comments Mod
This looks fun! I'm in for DQs

Edit: Team Lust

message 12: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

*******STOP PRESS*******

To make life simpler, with TTVII kicking off on 7 October, we are changing the start date of this BOM to 7 October

Shout if that means you are no longer able to do DQs (apologies if that's the case!)

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy | 278 comments I'm volunteering for DQs because of TTVII :)

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Looks like my library hold will come in time! I also volunteer for DQs.
Will update with TT team name once assigned :)

message 15: by Snowtulip (last edited Sep 20, 2019 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Snowtulip | 4390 comments Volunteering for DQ's :)
(Sloth)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'll volunteer for DQs

Devann (devannm) | 2671 comments so excited for this, it's hard to wait!

Ashleigh | 584 comments Volunteering for DQs.

Recently got this from the library and holding off on reading this asap is sooooo hard!!!

Lau Maia | 54 comments I'll be reading this one with you :)

message 20: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Devann wrote: "so excited for this, it's hard to wait!"

hold firm! you want the points in TT, right? ;-)

Devann (devannm) | 2671 comments @Cat haha that is really the only reason i am making myself wait! that and apparently every author i like decided to release a book in september so i'm drowning in new releases and definitely not at a loss for something to read right now.

message 22: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2516 comments Devann wrote: "@Cat haha that is really the only reason i am making myself wait! that and apparently every author i like decided to release a book in september so i'm drowning in new releases and definitely not a..."

I read somewhere that September is the busiest month for publishing.

Devann (devannm) | 2671 comments i would definitely believe that!

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments I'd like to volunteer for DQs! I'm on Team Ira for TTVII.

message 25: by Alysa (last edited Sep 18, 2019 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Alysa wrote: "Looks like my library hold will come in time! I also volunteer for DQs.
Will update with TT team name once assigned :)"

Ah, I see the Mods helpfully assigned my team name! Thanks!

So, apparently my library kindle loan of this book is going to expire on 9 Oct, which means that I will have only 7-9 Oct to read it, which means that in the event I get picked to write DQs, I am requesting Day 1 or 2 please!
(Otherwise, I will no longer have the book to refer back to for DQ ideas)

Suzanne | 3636 comments I'm volunteering for DQs.
Team Envy :)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments I'd like to volunteer for DQ - Team Ira.

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy | 278 comments I just got this book from the library, but I will have to return it before the start date, so I'll withdraw from volunteering for DQs.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Ashleigh & I are both from Team Avarice - since we're on the same team & both volunteered, can you please place me as a back-up?

Thank you!

message 30: by Ora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ora (oeamis) Team Greed
Volunteering for DQs

Jennifer (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Team Sloth
Volunteering for DQs

message 32: by Minx (new) - rated it 3 stars

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments I will be reading this book this time around :D

Trinia | 2136 comments I'd like to join in reading for this one

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments I’d like to volunteer to write DQ’s for Team Ira. :]

Louise | 2253 comments Downloaded this on audio 😊

Jennifer (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Me too Louise!

message 37: by Missy (new)

Missy | 3 comments I would love to read this book with everyone

Alysa H. | 3562 comments Alysa wrote: "Alysa wrote: "Looks like my library hold will come in time! I also volunteer for DQs.
Will update with TT team name once assigned :)"

Ah, I see the Mods helpfully assigned my team name! Thanks!

S..."

Hi there! My Ira teammate Frankie is the most actively excited about the chance to write BOMs for this book. We both volunteered, but can you please make Frankie the primary Ira volunteer instead of me (I will still be a back-up)?
Thank you!

message 39: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

okey doke!

message 40: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (snugshelf) | 19 comments I'm excited to start this!

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments Thanks, Alysa! ;p

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1549 comments I'm going to join in on reading this but since 4 of my team mates from Team Ira have volunteered for DQ's I don't think there's any point in throwing my name in the hat

message 43: by Ora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ora (oeamis) I am on the wait list for the e-book from my library. Scribd does has the audio.

message 44: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (snugshelf) | 19 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages MPDQs
7 Oct 1 - 7
8 Oct 8 - 13
9 Oct 14 - 20
10 Oct 21 - 26
11 Oct 27 - 33
12 Oct 34 - end

If anyone has a hardcopy with page numbers let me know & ..."

Page numbers from the hardcopy :)
1-7: Pages 1-78
8-13: Pages 79-152
14-20: Pages 153-231
21-26: Pages 232-300
27-33: Pages 301-378
34-end: Pages 379-444

Suzanne | 3636 comments I just picked up my copy from the library. It is very cool looking - all the pages are black-edged.

message 46: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks Amanda!

@Suzanne and I hadn't realised until I saw a tor. Com article that she was wearing kickass sunnies on the cover, thought it was just makeup

Suzanne | 3636 comments I left it out for my family to see, since besides the outfit and the skeletons and the black pages, it says (basically) "Lesbian necromancers in space!" pretty prominently on the cover. I definitely need to read it at school :)````````````````````````````

message 48: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

The Randomiser has spun! If the date you've got doesn't work feel free to try and swap with another DQ setter or with your back-up team mates if you have one.

If you fail to post , we'll got first to your team backups and then to a team who volunteers but wasn't picked.

Ashleigh | 584 comments I'm happy with my date, I can definitely do it :)

message 50: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2516 comments My date is fine.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8