The Sword and Laser discussion

Counting With Covers!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Babel-17 has got to be next.

Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Nice!

Sixteen broke me. If I wanted to venture outside Swordy-Lasery picks, "Sweet 16" books are a dime a baker's dozen

message 4: by Dharmakirti (last edited Oct 20, 2014 04:46PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Not genre but it's the only one I could think of.

Eighteen Acres

Eighteen Acres by Nicolle Wallace

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4269 comments I'm thinking the next one can only be...

1984 by George Orwell

message 6: by Louie (last edited Oct 20, 2014 05:06PM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments I was trying to stick to actual numbers rather than segments of other numbers. I find the added degree of difficulty adds to the enjoyment.

18 by Melanie Bird 18

Squad 19 - Prequel Volume 1 (The Tisaian Chronicles #0.1) by Nicholas Sansbury Smith Squad 19

Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5) by Harry Connolly Twenty Palaces

21st Century Dead A Zombie Anthology by Christopher Golden 21st Century Dead: A Zombie Anthology

The 22nd Gear (Bike Path #3) by Mike Sirota The 22nd Gear

23 Hours A Vengeful Vampire Tale by David Wellington 23 Hours: A Vengeful Vampire Tale

message 9: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2550 comments Anyone find anything higher than this? (Excluding anything with infinity in it.) The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C. Clarke The Nine Billion Names of God

message 10: by Aaron (last edited Oct 21, 2014 10:07AM) (new)

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I like book titles that do interesting things with numbers, like Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence. The logical reading order is, as almost always, the order of publication. You can, however, read them in any order, but for people who like to read things in in-world chronological order he gave the books some helpful titles:

Three Parts Dead
Two Serpents Rise
Full Fathom Five
and the upcoming:
Last First Snow
and one with "four" in the title should be coming out sometime later.

message 12: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Kevin wrote: "I like book titles that do interesting things with numbers, like Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence. The logical reading order is, as almost always, the order of publication. You can, however, read the..."

So the book with Three in the title is one, the one with Two in the title is second, the sequel with Five in the title is third, while First is fourth and fourth will be fifth.

I don't get this new Common Core math stuff at all.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments AndrewP wrote: "Anyone find anything higher than this? (Excluding anything with infinity in it.) The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C. Clarke The Nine Billion Names of God"

Sure: Count to a Trillion by John C. Wright Count to a Trillion

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Ooh, I forgot about this one: The Ninety Trillion Fausts (Quintara Marathon, #3) by Jack L. Chalker The Ninety Trillion Fausts

message 15: by Trike (last edited Oct 21, 2014 03:03PM) (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Continuing the count-up:

The 26-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths The 26-Storey Treehouse (It has an antigravity chamber and a Maze of Doom, so it counts.)

Twenty-Seven (27 First Set) by Charles Soule Twenty-Seven

Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage by Ennis Drake Twenty-Eight Teeth of Rage

Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (Rose Gardner Mysteries, #1) by Denise Grover Swank Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes

29 by Adena Halpern 29

30 Days Of Night by Steve Niles 30 Days Of Night

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Joe Informatico wrote: "I might have to leave our usual genres briefly:"

It is pretty difficult at this point, but as long as we don't devolve into recipe or exercise books, most fiction ought to suffice. :p

message 19: by Trike (last edited Oct 31, 2014 09:39AM) (new)

Trike | 8949 comments There are actually quite a few books with 36 as the title.

The Thirty-Six by Kristopher White The Thirty-Six

37 Miles by Ira Tabankin 37 Miles

Willie-Washer's Local No. 38 by James T. Shipman Willie-Washer's Local No. 38

message 20: by Ally (new)

Ally (leopardqueen) i don't wanna be the one to do this but i will.
Vespers Rising (39 Clues, #11) by Rick Riordan

...not in title but on the cover anyway ^_^

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Should have started with this, I guess...

Year Zero by Rob Reid Year Zero

message 26: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments It's not in the Goodreads database, but I found it on Amazon: Tom 46

message 29: by John (Nevets) (last edited Jan 25, 2015 05:12AM) (new)

message 30: by Sky (last edited Jan 25, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 96 comments '56

message 35: by Keidy (last edited Jan 17, 2016 04:08AM) (new)

Keidy | 525 comments 61 Hours

Edit: Oops. Sorry guys. ^_^;

message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments That's not SF or F is it?

message 39: by Sky (last edited Jan 28, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments This is not SFF but I actually loved this book

The $64 Tomato How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden by William Alexander The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden

It so true, I spend several hundred dollars a year on my garden every spring to get a few mediocre tomatoes in the end.

message 40: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Sky wrote: "This is not SFF but I actually loved this book

[bookcover:The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden..."

Ah, you got my hopes up!

This is getting difficult. Finding numbers in the thousands, millions and billions is actually easier.

message 41: by Kevin (last edited Jan 28, 2016 03:42PM) (new)

message 42: by Sky (last edited Jan 28, 2016 04:38PM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments 64 is a hard one. You'd think there'd be a lot with 64-bit, Commodore 64, etc.

I came across this, I think I will get it used on Amazon. Contains the source code for 4 ancient C-64 adventure games...Time to fire up my cross compiler and emulator! Though probably the source code is all in BASIC :P

Exploring Adventures on the Commodore 64 by Peter Gerrard Exploring Adventures on the Commodore 64

Anyways, maybe this is as close as you can get

Zombie High Yearbook '64 by Jeff Busch Zombie High Yearbook '64

message 43: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3675 comments Mod
description

For 64 you could have Sixty-Four Chance Pieces: A Book of Changes a lot of the stories are fantasy.

message 44: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Oh, both of those 64s are excellent. Good finds!

Batman '66 is fine, too, but the typographic one is outside the SFF sandbox. (Just trying to keep the thread within the boundaries of the group.)

message 45: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8949 comments Waystation 65 by Kyle Mullan Waystation 65

And for when we get there:

Dinosaurs 65 Million by Catt Dahman Dinosaurs: 65 Million.

message 47: by Kevin (last edited Jan 29, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

message 48: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3675 comments Mod
description Prisoner Sixty-Nine

'I am not a Prisoner. I am an autonomous android! Hang on a minute...sixty-nine? Why sixty-nine?'

'That was the year you were manufactured. 1969.'

'Yes, but...sixty-nine? People are so going to get the wrong idea...'

message 49: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments Tassie Dave wrote: " Prisoner Sixty-Nine

'I am not a Prisoner. I am an autonomous android! Hang on a minute...sixty-nine? Why sixty-nine?'

'That was the year you were manufactured. 1969.'

'Yes, bu..."

I am not a number! :)

« previous 1