Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Team Pie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 320 (320 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:41PM) (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Hello Team Pie! This topic is just for you to discuss your strategy and progress throughout the week. Make sure to take a moment to read over the rules of the challenge here before you dive in.

Team Roster
Johanne (co-leader)
Kathryn (co-leader)
Ellie
Trish
Mini
Hilde
Lieke
Ira
Marina
Hannah

Quest #1 - Bookshelves Challenge
(view spoiler)

Quest #2 - Visiting Home

(view spoiler)

Quest #3 - The Scouts
(view spoiler)

Quest 4:

Sometimes we have to take a moment and just reflect on the journey. For the next stop, we'll focus on some of the books that have already been completed.

Read 15 books related to books that your team has read so far in this read-a-thon. Books must be connected by the following ways:
- 5 books published in the same year
- 4 books with the same word in the title [excluding A, An, and The]
- 3 books with a similar cover [color, object, etc.]
- 2 books set in the same location or written by authors born in the same locations [country]
- 1 book by the same author

Read 3 books [or books by authors] that are mentioned in a read-a-thon game.

Hint: If you're having trouble, it may be a good idea for members of your group to play the read-a-thon games ;)

This should equal 18 total books for quest 3.

message 2: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 13, 2019 06:13AM) (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Good morning, Team Pie!!

It's Saturday morning here on the east coast of Australia, so I've already started my read-a-thon! And I do like the sound of a quest! I'm not too bad with spreadsheets, but I'm not the whiz that Emily is, and I know she said that she's happy to come up with spreadsheets for all, so I might leave that to her (unless Johanne is a spreadsheet guru and wants to try her hand at it - but I think she's asleep at the moment).

Any bright ideas on strategy for this first part? At first I thought it might be quite easy, but looking at one of the books I'm currently reading, I think it might only fit into 2 categories - wishlist and historical fiction (an audiobook I've got about 3 hours left on), although my other book could fit 4 categories - wishlist, contemporary, mystery and adventure (but I've still got about 300+ pages on it).

I guess we could post tentatively which category the books we're reading might best fill (picking the shelves that seem most obscure, if there are more than one option), and then other people can try to work on other shelves?? Unless anyone else has a better idea?

Edited to add: Traci from Team Cake has very kindly offered her spreadsheet. The link is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
So if you put your name and a book across the top and put a cross in the shelves that the book qualifies for, once you finish the book, you can put it in column B of whichever shelf seems the most difficult to fill of the ones it qualifies for.
I hope that makes sense, and I hope it works...! Let me know if not.

Edited to add: this is the link to Quest 3: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Covers of books we've used for the read-a-thon so far:

Den usynlige vogter (Baztán-trilogien, 1) by Dolores Redondo Unbecoming by Jenny Downham An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2) by James Islington The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides Pinnsvinets eleganse by Muriel Barbery Sharpe's Triumph (Sharpe, #2) by Bernard Cornwell The Virgin's Lover (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #13) by Philippa Gregory Beloved by Toni Morrison Invisible Women Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado-Pérez New Erotica for Feminists Satirical Fantasies of Love, Lust, and Equal Pay by Caitlin Kunkel Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad The Kappillan of Malta by Nicholas Monsarrat The Raven Tower by Emma Miles The End of Loneliness by Benedict Wells The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do Warcross (Warcross, #1) by Marie Lu Drengen på toppen af bjerget by John Boyne The Last Tudor (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #14) by Philippa Gregory Naked by David Sedaris The Red Pony by John Steinbeck Det lille bageri på strandpromenaden by Jenny Colgan Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson Academic Curveball (Braxton Campus Mysteries #1) by James J. Cudney Zee van Verbeelding by Anaïd Haen Treason (Secrets & Spies #1) by Jo MacAuley Love Overboard by Janet Evanovich Neil Patrick Harris Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris A Twist in the Tail (The Oyster Cove Guesthouse #1) by Leighann Dobbs Flight to Afar by Alfred Andersch The Other Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #15) by Philippa Gregory Witch and Wizard (Witch and Wizard, #1) by James Patterson The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 The Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way Den blå portal (Skæbneløs, #2) by Linette Harpsøe Ragnarök De ondergang van de goden by A.S. Byatt Achtste-groepers huilen niet by Jacques Vriens One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

message 3: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:00PM) (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments I think I might focus on the e-book I'm currently reading that will fill the adventure category.

message 4: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Good morning everyone on Team Pie! Excited for the readathon! I think Kathryn covered how to get going. today and in the 'team challenge intro' folder there is a guide on how to see the shelves we are using for the first quest. Happy reading!

message 5: by Marina H (last edited Sep 06, 2019 11:06PM) (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Good morning team!
The name is perfect... We're having friends over for dinner tonight and I'm making Key lime pie 😉

I've added my books to the spreadsheet. I'm currently reading Den usynlige vogter where I'm halfway through and Unbecoming where I've read just around 15%. I'll spent most of the day today reading and tomorrow I have all day and evening off so hopefully I can finish both books no later than Monday.

I look forward to work on the challenge with you guys 😀

message 6: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Good morning team! 😄
I’m currently reading An Echo of Things to Come I have 191 pages left to read. But I think it can only count for wishlist or read-in-2019.

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Good morning, team Pie!:)
Weekend and readathon, nice!
The quest looks excisting, looking forward to it.

I just started reading two books, but I’m only about one chapter in in each of them, so will probably take me a while to finish them. I’ll have a look at the tags and see where they can potentially fit. Enjoy your Saturday 😊

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1694 comments I just need to finish off my current book (less than 125 pages to go unfortunately) and then I'll start Darkdawn which works for September-2019, cover-love, LGBT, and wishlist.

message 9: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Hello again.
I´m at work and right now there´s a lull between the morning crowd and the afternoon crowd (I´m a children´s librarian).
I am currrently, when I am not at work, reading a brand new book I have to review with a deadline monday - and it has no shelving since it´s not even released yet, and not one of those hot-shot authors.
I have a few books lined up that can fit several shelves, but I´ll wait and see how the flow is and what is needed when I have finished my review book.

Just to be clear:
For the first quest we have to read books for 15 out of the 26 shelves, one book for each (so we´ll move around if a book fits more than one shelf).
The shelf-wording has to fit exactly and the book has to be at least 125 pages long (or 125 pages left when the readathon started).

Go team Pie!

(I have a lot of apples at home, it´s apple season - should I make an apple pie?)

message 10: by Mini (new)

Mini (mini_sagas) | 65 comments Hello team!

I'm reading My Lady's Choosing this weekend and it fits LGBT
Female Authors
Aventure
Historical Fiction
Wishlist
Library Books
Read in 2019
Mystery

message 11: by Ira (new)

Ira | 268 comments Hi team. I am currently readingThe Silent Patient. It can be counted in 2019 Reading Challenge, Stand-Alone, Mystery, Read in 2019.

message 12: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1694 comments Johanne wrote: "I have a lot of apples at home, it´s apple season - should I make an apple pie?..."

Yes! You've reminded me that I have to go out and hunt for windfalls today before they start rotting.

message 13: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Apple pie, that sounds delicious;) Everybody on this team is now required to make a pie during the weekend, lol.

I went through the tags for the book I just started (The Elegance of the Hedgehog), and turns out it fitted quite a lot, even with only bothering going through the first three pages on the shelves. I added it to the spreadsheet.

Also, I made some formatting updates to the spreadsheet, and added a count for each book at the bottom so that we can easily see see how many individual tags each books potential fits. Hope it's ok, really don't mean to step on anyones toes.

message 14: by Johanne (last edited Sep 07, 2019 04:40AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Haha Hilde - you are so welcome! I have no special feelings toward spreadsheets, only that they be as logical as possible, thanks for doing that :)

A clarification: The shelving has to be found on the first page:

1. In order for the book to count for the challenge, the shelf must be listed on the first page of your book's top shelves (i.e. the first 100 shelves)

Also: I don´t think Kathryn said she finished the book? Or did she update that herself?

message 15: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Dang, that's what I get for only skimming the instructions. Thanks for the catch, no wonder it fitted so many tags ;)

Kathryn had added a book to that tag, but could be that she only meant to allocate that spesific tag to that book! I'll remove it for now, so she can update herself.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Johanne wrote: "Haha Hilde - you are so welcome! I have no special feelings toward spreadsheets, only that they be as logical as possible, thanks for doing that :)

A clarification: The shelving has to be found on..."

No - I haven't finished The Library of Shadows - I wasn't sure whether I accidentally left it in (I did put it in at one point to check a formula was working, but thought I took it out...), but I just took it out now.

And that looks good, Hilde - the alternate coloured lines helps when you're looking across! Obviously you know more about Google spreadsheets than me, not that that would be hard!

message 17: by Hannah (last edited Sep 07, 2019 04:59AM) (new)

Hannah | 375 comments Hi Team!

I’ve got two books that I will definitely finish today:

Sharpe's Triumph (Sharpe, #2) by Bernard Cornwell works for adventure and historical fiction.

The Virgin's Lover (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #13) by Philippa Gregory works for historical fiction, contemporary and Wishlist.

I’ll then have a look at the spreadsheet and see if I’ve got any books that would work for shelves that don’t yet have any options and start reading one of those.

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Hilde wrote: "Dang, that's what I get for only skimming the instructions. Thanks for the catch, no wonder it fitted so many tags ;)

Kathryn had added a book to that tag, but could be that she only meant to all..."

Oops - we posted at the same time, Hilde - and I'd already removed the book myself, if you're wondering where it went!!

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Johanne wrote: "I have a lot of apples at home, it´s apple season - should I make an apple pie?..."

Hilde wrote: "Apple pie, that sounds delicious;) Everybody on this team is now required to make a pie during the weekend, lol..."

Oh - and I don't bake pies! (If we'd been Team Cookie, Brownie or Cake I could have obliged, but I can't be bothered with pies!) But I'll have some of your apple pie, Johanne!!

message 20: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Hilde wrote: "Dang, that's what I get for only skimming the instructions. Thanks for the catch, no wonder it fitted so many tags ;)

Kathryn had added a book to that tag, but could be that she only meant to all..."

:)

message 21: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Hannah wrote: "Hi Team!

I’ve got two books that I will definitely finish today:

Sharpe's Triumph (Sharpe, #2) by Bernard Cornwell works for adventure and historical fiction.

The Virgin's Lover (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #13) by Philippa Gregory works for..."

When you finish you can add them to the spreadsheet and use the tag with the least possibilities. I think that´s the best strategy for this quest.

message 22: by Johanne (last edited Sep 07, 2019 05:09AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Kathryn wrote: "Johanne wrote: "I have a lot of apples at home, it´s apple season - should I make an apple pie?..."

Hilde wrote: "Apple pie, that sounds delicious;) Everybody on this team is now required to make ..."

It´s a shame you can´t share an apple pie via internet. I think that´s a part of the team leader job to provide baked goods - right? It won´t be until tomorrow though, I´m at work till 4 pm today and don´t think I´ll bother when I get home.

message 23: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Kathryn wrote: "Johanne wrote: "Haha Hilde - you are so welcome! I have no special feelings toward spreadsheets, only that they be as logical as possible, thanks for doing that :)

A clarification: The shelving ha..."

Kathryn wrote: "Oops - we posted at the same time, Hilde - and I'd already removed the book myself, if you're wondering where it went!!"

Suberb :)

message 24: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments Kathryn wrote: "Oh - and I don't bake pies! (If we'd been Team Cookie, Brownie or Cake I could have obliged, but I can't be bothered with pies!) But I'll have some of your apple pie, Johanne!!)"

Ha, I was just kidding, I am not going to oblige myself either :)
Bit I do love a good pie for sure!

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Hilde wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Oh - and I don't bake pies! (If we'd been Team Cookie, Brownie or Cake I could have obliged, but I can't be bothered with pies!) But I'll have some of your apple pie, Johanne!!)"

Ha, I was just kidding, I am not going to oblige myself either :)
Bit I do love a good pie for sure!..."

I enjoy eating them much more than making them!

I'm off to bed. Happy Saturday reading for the rest of you, and you'll probably all be heading to bed by the time I wake up tomorrow!

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments Hello Team Pie!! Loving our group name (and totally inspired by that apple pie idea - that's soooo happening)... :D

I'm currently reading Beloved by Toni Morrison, I'm hoping to finish it either later today or tomorrow - already put it in the spreadsheet. I just realized we're two Hannahs around here. Added an A. for my last name, so it doesn't get too confusing.

This'll be fun! Looking forward to the week with you guys!!

message 27: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments So I just finished Den usynlige vogter just before our friends arrive this afternoon. That's my reading done for today, but I have all day tomorrow for the next book!

Happy reading 😀

message 28: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Ohh, I don't know which shelf you want to use my book for. You can just pick one 😊

message 29: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments I finished my first book earlier today and just added it to a shelf (only had two options).

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments I just finished Beloved and put it down for the "Female Authors" shelf. :)

message 31: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Well done, Team Pie! You've made great progress while I've been sleeping! I hope I get at least one book finished today while all of you are asleep!

And how funny we have two Hannah's in the group - I bet the mods didn't realise either, since the name is only down once! But we seem to be grouped by timezone (I'm the wildcard in this group!) and you're both in Britain/Europe, so Team Pie is a great place for both of you!!

message 32: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Good work everyone - 5 books read for the quest already!

And thanks for adding to the spreadsheet, I just went through the posts and it looks like it's all registered in the spreadsheet.

A couple of rule clarifications from the mods, that will make this easier (at least from how I understood it initially):

1. "When searching bookshelves, all spaces are automatically turned into hyphens. So while this list has spaces, bookshelves will have hyphens."
So: ignore hyphens (fx Historical Fiction = historical-fiction)

2. Ignore capitalisations (see example above)

3. Q: "What if the bookshelf matches except for the fact that it's in a different language? Septiembre-2019 instead of September-2019"
A: "Yep, that totally works"

And good morning Kathryn!

I didn't read anything today... after I got back from work I had a social event I had forgotten... Will read some hours tonight in the shelfless book ;)

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Johanne wrote: "Good work everyone - 5 books read for the quest already!

And thanks for adding to the spreadsheet, I just went through the posts and it looks like it's all registered in the spreadsheet.

A couple of rule clarifications from the mods, that will make this easier (at least from how I understood it initially):

"When searching bookshelves, all spaces are automatically turned into hyphens. So while this list has spaces, bookshelves will have hyphens."
So: ignore hyphens (fx Historical Fiction = historical-fiction)..."

I was thinking about this - and realised that you can't ignore hyphens completely.

So we have several shelves that have hyphens - like stand-alone, sci-fi, and so standalone and scifi aren't the same. Likewise, we have wishlist, and wish-list isn't the same!! Tricky!

message 34: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Good morning Pies!
Did you all have a good first day of reading? I've been up early to tidy up the house after having guests over last night but now I have the rest of the day to do as I please.

I think I'm just going to reading Unbecoming but if we need to find books for specific shelves I can definitely try and look for other books.

Johanne, did you make an apple pie yesterday? I love apple pie 😍 but I must say, my Key lime pie last night wasn't bad.., and we have leftovers for today, yay!

message 35: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Marina H wrote: "Good morning Pies!
Did you all have a good first day of reading? I've been up early to tidy up the house after having guests over last night but now I have the rest of the day to do as I please.

..."

Good morning, Marina! I think just keep plugging away with Unbecoming - it looks like it has many shelves that it would fit into - looks like family, coming of age and realistic fiction are shelves we don't have a lot of options for so far, so one of those are probably our best bets, unless someone finishes other things for those first.

And I'll have some of your key lime pie - just send it down here to Australia through the internet!!

message 36: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Hello hello hello! I’m a late joiner, but I’m here to get my pie on. 😁 I’m almost finished an audiobook that I started on Friday, so I’ll finish that today (once I drag my tired butt out of bed) and hopefully it will fit!

message 37: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Jody wrote: "Hello hello hello! I’m a late joiner, but I’m here to get my pie on. 😁 I’m almost finished an audiobook that I started on Friday, so I’ll finish that today (once I drag my tired butt out of bed) an..."

Glad to see you join us! Readathons usually cure my reading slumps 😉

message 38: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Welcome Jody! and good morning everyone.

@Marina, sadly no apple pie. Work and people all day, so not much reading either. Your pie sounds delicious, I love sour citrus with sugary sweets :) I have never tasted key lemon pie, but I guess it tastes a bit like lemon meringue pie that I love.

@The hyphen paradox
You're right Kathryn we shouldn't completely ignore hyphens.
Think of it as hyphens equals spaces.
So wish list and wish-list are the same, but not wishlist.

Happy reading today

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Jody wrote: "Hello hello hello! I’m a late joiner, but I’m here to get my pie on. 😁 I’m almost finished an audiobook that I started on Friday, so I’ll finish that today (once I drag my tired butt out of bed) an..."

Hooray, Jody! And I'm finishing up an audiobook as well this evening... :-)

message 40: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Oh it was key lime pie, but same for that.

message 41: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1694 comments Morning Team Pie! I only managed to finish off a couple of in progress books yesterday, so none of them count. No pie either, had Daim cake instead! I'll try to do better today.

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Ellie wrote: "Morning Team Pie! I only managed to finish off a couple of in progress books yesterday, so none of them count. No pie either, had Daim cake instead! I'll try to do better today."

Ellie, you can count books that you have in progress - as long as you had 125 pages or more left to read when the readathon started. If you had less than that, then they can't count.

message 43: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I've finished my audiobook - Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men. It was SO GOOD, and one I think everyone should read. Women, but especially men. I put it down in the spreadsheet for library-books, as that one had the least options for the three shelves it fit (4, compared to 9 & 13).

I'm going to start (and hopefully finish) New Erotica for Feminists: Satirical Fantasies of Love, Lust, and Equal Pay today. I must be on a feminism kick. As I should be!

message 44: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1694 comments Kathryn I only had 45 pages and half an hour of audiobook so neither count.

message 45: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Ellie wrote: "Kathryn I only had 45 pages and half an hour of audiobook so neither count."

Fair enough! Never mind - now you can get on to something else!

message 46: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Ok, I've just started an audiobook instead - Heart of Darkness - and it only fits one shelf (wishlist). I'll finish it either today or tomorrow, but sorry for the narrowness of it!

message 47: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments That's fine Jody, most of the other books have several options :)

message 48: by Trish (last edited Sep 08, 2019 03:10AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 422 comments I'm not entirely sure how this works, so help appreciated. Does the book need to show on the shelf on the links above? Or can it just fit that category?

I'm currently working through The Kappillan of Malta (historical fiction) and The Raven Tower (fantasy). At this point I have about 250 pages left for each of them. I need to finish Kappillan tomorrow, and probably Raven Tower on Tuesday, but I'm not sure whether it fits any of the shelves except Read in 2019.

Short term on my list are The Merry Wives of Windsor (can't find a list that fits) and Warcross (science fiction).

I have plenty of Mysteries I could read.

message 49: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 08, 2019 03:22AM) (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments So when you click on the book page, Trish, if you're in the web browser, partway down on the righthand side, it says GENRES. Just under that are a few genres and then it says "See more shelves". If you click on that, you are taken to the first page of results of what people have shelved your book as. If any of the shelves match those on the list in the first post, then your book qualifies for any of those shelves. However, now we only need any 8 of:
Cover-Love
Nature
Wishlist
5-Stars
Sci-fi
LGBT
Family
Coming-of-Age
Realistic-Fiction
All-time-Favorites
Contemporary
Diverse Books
Faves
Music
Retellings
September
September 2019
Inspirational

And the shelves need to match these words exactly. I just had a look at The Kappillan of Malta, The Raven Tower and Station X and they don't have many of these shelves in their top shelves, except for wishlist for some of them. A lot more people have shelved Warcross, so that has a better chance of having some of these shelves (I think sci-fi was one of the first shelves).

I hope that helps!

message 50: by Hannah (last edited Sep 08, 2019 03:27AM) (new)

Hannah | 120 comments Good morning Team Pie!! It's raining in Germany today, so it seems like a perfect Sunday for the read-a-thon. I've just started out with The End of Loneliness by Benedict Wells, which could fit some of the shelves we're still missing.

And hello to Trish!! In order to check which shelves your books could fit, you have to look at the Goodreads pages for that particular book and click on "See Top Shelves..." on the right column. Then it should show you the top 100 shelves and you can check, which one of our read-a-thon categories might match. In case you don't find the link to the top shelves (I didn't at first), here it is for the two books you're reading:

The Kapillan of Malta: https://www.goodreads.com/work/shelve...
The Raven Tower: https://www.goodreads.com/work/shelve...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7