Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #5: A book by a journalist or about journalism

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 430 comments Mod
Use this space to discuss books you're reading or that might fit the 5th Read Harder task.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 116 comments Thinking about whether Bunk: The True Story of Hoaxes, Hucksters, Humbug, Plagiarists, Forgeries, and Phonies fits, since it incorporates how falsehood and fakeness has imbued our current journalism and media. I am leaning yes, but that might just be because a lot of the journalism nonfiction I can think of doesn't much appeal to me.

If not that, then I'll probably do All the President's Men.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 116 comments Andrea wrote: "None of these are about journalism, but the authors are journalists:

I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After Twenty Years Away or many other titles by [author:Bil..."

Thanks for this! A Walk in the Woods was going to be my humor pick, maybe I'll move it to this category instead.

message 5: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (kimirons) | 30 comments Going with For One More Day by journalist Mitch Albom who wrote Tuesdays with Morrie which I read in 2017 I think.

message 6: by Anna (new)

message 7: by Derick (new)

Derick | 3 comments Killers of the Flower Moon works here as well.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Gartland I read The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 75 comments I'm going to read And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic. I've tried to read it twice and have yet to make it all the way through. This time I will.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 15 comments Think I'll go for something by Jon Ronson, they are always fun and interesting.

message 13: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1369 comments Anna H. That is a great list
So many options I hadn't thought of. I would add Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky to books about media. It is excellent.

message 15: by Heather (last edited Dec 18, 2018 09:19AM) (new)

Heather (natlshopaholic) | 2 comments Derick wrote: "Killers of the Flower Moon works here as well."

Disappointment River: Finding and Losing the Northwest Passage would work for this task as well.

message 16: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) Martha wrote: "Parkland: Birth of a Movement is my first choice (if I can wait for it)

Ones I have that I won't have to wait for:
Toms River: A Story of Science and Salvation
[boo..."

Five Days at Memorial was really good.

message 18: by XiangYu (new)

XiangYu | 2 comments I'm going to read The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan by Jenny Nordberg. I cross-referenced with this list and found that this book is also on my TBR list :)

message 19: by Danae (last edited Dec 20, 2018 04:23PM) (new)

Danae  - WordPeace (wordpeace) | 4 comments I read Lynsey Addario's autobiography awhile ago, and even saw her speak at a local National Geographic event. She has an amazing career and life story as a war photojournalist in a male-dominated profession, and of course her photography is stunning. Check it out here: It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War.

message 20: by Genie (last edited Feb 14, 2019 01:23PM) (new)

Genie | 13 comments For this journalism item, I am going to read April Ryan’s Under Fire: Reporting from the Front Lines of the Trump White House.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan | 131 comments I misread this as “a book by a journalist *about* journalism lol
I picked All the President's Men

message 22: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) For years I've been wanting to read The Journalist and the Murderer by Janet Malcolm. Her book made the Modern Library list of 100 best nonfiction of the 20th century. I've been working on that list and have yet to be disappointed. It's what I'll be reading.

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth | 44 comments Danae wrote: "I read Lynsey Addario's autobiography awhile ago, and even saw her speak at a local National Geographic event. She has an amazing career and life story as a war photojournalist in a male-dominated ..."

Danae, thanks for pointing this out! This sounds amazing and I will have to add it to my ever growing to read pile. Lol.

message 24: by Lianne (new)

Lianne Burwell (lianneb) | 47 comments I'm planning on going back a few decades and reading Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward's All the President's Men

message 25: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 89 comments Do you think a book by Svetlana Alexievich will work? She used to be a journalist.

message 26: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Strand (kendrastrand) | 8 comments I found Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite by Suki Kim absolutely captivating when I read it a few years ago. I'm planning to read her novel, The Interpreter, for this category.

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess | 4 comments I’m planning to read “Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen” by Jose Antonio Vargas.

message 29: by Henriette (new)

Henriette Terkelsen (henrietteterkelsen) | 0 comments I have had I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer on my tbr for a long time - I'm gonna go with that.

message 30: by Stina (last edited Dec 22, 2018 07:49AM) (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 179 comments Andrea wrote: "None of these are about journalism, but the authors are journalists:

I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After Twenty Years Away or many other titles by ..."

Oooh, The Glass Castle is on my TBR already, so maybe I'll do that.

Or perhaps I'll finish The Persian Pickle Club.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (moonlightlibraryy) | 8 comments I'm definitely reading something by Hunter S. Thompson. I've been meaning to for so long. So either Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time.

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane | 26 comments Just recently I discovered that Geraldine Brooks, author of March, Caleb's Crossing, Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague and others, is a journalist.

message 33: by Maria (new)

Maria (maria-comfy-chair) | 4 comments I’m planning to read Putin Country by Ann Garrels (NPR). It’s been on my TBR for awhile!

message 34: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 89 comments I highly recommend The View From Flyover Country: Essays by Sarah Kendzior if you are looking for bite sized nonfiction pieces.

message 35: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Tracy wrote: "I have Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity on my kindle. I also found [book:We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Fam..."

I read the book about Mumbai and it is heart wrenching. Not an easy read.

message 36: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Xiang Yu wrote: "I'm going to read The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan by Jenny Nordberg. I cross-referenced with this list and found tha..."

Another very good book.

message 37: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments I plan on reading What Unites Us: Reflections on Patriotism by Dan Rather. I need something positive to read in the upcoming year.

message 38: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 180 comments I have at least three books in my house that fit this category, so I will probably go with one of them: All the President's Men, by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward; Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, by James Agee; and Fast Copy, by Dan Jenkins.

message 39: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 21 comments I'm planning to read The Glass Castle for another challenge and thought I'd also use it here. Except I've just come across Sold on a Monday which sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'm hoping I'll have time to get to it. If not I'll have this task covered anyway.

message 40: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 59 comments Would Columbine work for this prompt?

message 41: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1369 comments Yes, Brandyn. Columbine works, and it is phenomenal.

message 43: by Mya (new)

Mya R | 279 comments Tenacity: Heavy Metal In the Middle East and Africa, by journalist Beth Winegarner is a good choice for people interested in the international music scene.

message 45: by Jessica (last edited Dec 25, 2018 03:40AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 9 comments I might read The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan for this one. It has been sitting unread on my shelf for a couple of years.

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 133 comments A Russian Diary: A Journalist's Final Account of Life, Corruption & Death in Putin's Russia or A Small Corner of Hell: Dispatches from Chechnya both by Anna Politkovskaya - one of these will be my pick for this task. She survived poisoning by (Putin and oligarchs?) and was later murdered in a contract killing.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I will be using this one

https://www.amazon.com/Reporter-Memoi...

message 48: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (knoell) | 3 comments There's a new Tony Horwitz book coming out this year (Spying on the South: Travels with Frederick Law Olmsted in a Fractured Land) so of course that's what I'm reading!

message 49: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (lindseyclare) | 34 comments I think I'll read One Hundred Years of Dirt by Rick Morton, which has been on my radar for a bit.

message 50: by Mya (new)

Mya R | 279 comments Already in my to-read list - Rolling Blackouts: Dispatches from Turkey, Syria, and Iraq is a graphic novel about two reporters as they research potential stories on the effects of the Iraq War on the Middle East and, specifically, the war’s refugees.

« previous 1 3 4