Start by marking “The Persian Pickle Club” as Want to Read:
The Persian Pickle Club

The Persian Pickle Club

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  14,460 Ratings  ·  1,939 Reviews
It is the 1930s, and hard times have hit Harveyville, Kansas, where the crops are burning up, and there's not a job to be found. For Queenie Bean, a young farm wife, a highlight of each week is the gathering of the Persian Pickle Club, a group of local ladies dedicated to improving their minds, exchanging gossip, and putting their quilting skills to good use. When a new me ...more
Published September 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Persian Pickle Club, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jan Cole I think we'll never know.

helen the bookowl
This was such a sweet and great book that took a turn I didn't see coming. First of all, Sandra Dallas did an impeccable job of setting the mood. This takes place in the USA in the 1930s, it is hot, the crops are destroyed because of the heat and people try to survive on small jobs and kindness to each other. The Persian Pickle Job is our focal point of interest and we are rather quickly introduced to all of the women in this quilting club.
However, our main focus is Queenie and Rita who are the
Jim Butler
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My grandparents and great-grandparents, the Butlers and the Fouts, owned farms probably on the exact land Sandra Dallas places her story. I spent many a summer break helping out on the farm. The pickle club so matches the politeness, rhythm, dialect, and pace of my grandmother's and the extended families' speech that I cried at the rememberences. The stories "Bean", as my grandfather was known (omigosh, "Queenie Bean" a coincidence?), and my father told me of growing up in the depression echoed ...more
☮Karen
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I put off reading this for a long time, only because of the silly title. But it is a short one from a favorite author, Sandra Dallas, so I thought I would squeeze it in as a quick summer read.

This book was a little gem. Friendships, family, murder in a close-knit, struggling farming community, a little romance, loyalty, and did I mention it is short? The quilting stories were my favorites, and some tugged at my emotions.
Scribs
Love, love this book! I have rarely seen characters so flawed, true and dang funny. Especially Queenie, the MC, who I found myself identifying with in a heartfelt way. Her insecurities felt like my insecurities--the way she longed for and loved her friends, the way she baked and visited to solve problems, and even her marriage.

Queenie is a member of the Persian Pickle club--a quilting club of ladies in rural Kansas I think around the 1930s. The group is composed of opinionated, diverse personali
Ariel
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
In the kicked up dust of a rural 1930's Harveyville, Kansas, times are hard and, as Queenie Bean is keenly aware, real friendship is all the more important because of it. Luckily, Queenie is a member of The Persian Pickle Club, a group of women that meet weekly to share gossip, refreshments, fabric scraps, stitches, and friendship. Faced with the stark beauty and peril of dry Kansas crops, the friendships of this group are a lifeline to the women of The Persian Pickle; they're there for each oth ...more
Latharia
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This came recommended from a friend who's recommended other books to me in the past -- ones I would normally have completely bypassed, like The Help and Water For Elephants. I enjoyed this book as well & was thoroughly entranced by the characters! I was also wildly amused at my own reactions to the farming culture that apparently also runs pretty deep in my own history -- I recognized my grandmothers' experiences in many of the Pickles' own!
Erin Cataldi
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stout-stories, 2016
I didn't think I would be able to relate to a novel about quilting but there was so much more to the story than that. Set amidst the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression Queenie and the members of the Persian Pickle Club pass the time helping each other and their community by quilting blankets to raise money for charity. When Rita marries a local boy and becomes part of their "quilting circle" she brings a youthful brashness that keeps everyone on their toys. She's load and brash but Queenie takes ...more
Diane
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me awhile ago and I happened to see it at the library, so I picked it up. I thought the cover was very hokey, but I tried to overlook it. The description sounded interesting and I expected a Steel Magnolias kind of women's group that had strong characters in a close knit circle. That is not how I felt about this book at all. The group is so large that most of the time I had no idea who was who except for the few main ones. And even the prominent characters were not v ...more
Julie Fischer
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have written this review two different times only to have them erased by accident. Normally I would give up writing a review, but this book was special and I want to share my feelings about it. Stories are told in different ways. Many stories have been handed down through generations by narrating the story, other stories were written down, and still others were told by piecing together a quilt made from wore out clothing the family had worn or special pieces given to the quilter by a friend. T ...more
Mindy
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book! About a sewing club in a small town. How the women love each other and take care of each other when they need too. There is a murder aspect to the story as well. So fun. Good book club book.
Melissa
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to say that this book didn't really do anything for me. It's supposed to be light hearted and a story about friendship, which I guess it is. But it just wasn't interesting to me.

In the 1930's in Kansas, a group of women get together for a quilting and literature club every week. They call themselves the Persian Pickles (named after a paisley print) and in the depression its a good way to add some fun to their life. But then, the body of one of their member's husband is found. The newest m
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I really wanted to like this book. I was born and raised in Iowa, which is just a hoot and a holler from Kansas, and I'm a selftaught quilter, so I thought, what's not to love?

Unfortunately, it just didn't work for me, not really. So much so, that I put it down for long enough that it took me a minute to remember who all those people were. (Lotsa characters, norra lorra character development.) In the first place, a lot of the language is out of place for Midwesterners, at least in our area, even
Nancy
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I've read at least a handfull of books about the Kansas dust bowl and/or the hardships of the 1930's and most were so mournful or stress-inducing that they left me with a hollow feeling that took a long time to relieve. The Persian Pickle Club takes an entirely different approach by showcasing a community of people that have very little but share what they have.

I was impressed by Dallas' characters because she succeded in creating an environment of need and deprivation without presenting a group
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i loved the setting of this book...kansas, dust bowl, 30's depression era, group of women in a quilting group. putting hot flour on a newborn baby? I'd never heard of that. i even laughed out loud at some of the country living similes/talk- "she was more fun than a shoebox full of kittens." or "if fibs were so bad, I ought to tell Nettie that the goiter on her neck made her look like a frog." I can see that there was an underlying message of friendship and loyalty (which I am usually drawn to th ...more
Kathryn
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I thought I had read this when it first came out and I remember not liking it - I thought it was wonderful this time around. I had trouble keeping all of the Pickle ladies straight and who was related to whom, so I wrote up a chart. That made the story SO much easier to follow. This book is about friendship through and through. It really made me look at my friendships and to value those friends for who they are and not critize for what they are not. Sandra Dallas did it again!
Kate
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Beth
I struggled with the character development. I kept asking myself, "Now, who is this person?"
If you find the beginning a bit slow, keep going until you get to the murder mystery. Then things get entertaining!
Julie (A Girl and a Book)
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
3.5 ** I absolutely adored this sweet little book. It was such a fun cozy read that really focused on the value of female friendships. Perfect read for summer and I can't wait to chat about this one with the ladies from my book club!
Claire
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought this was a cute story about ladies who were in a quilting club in the 1930's.

I did enjoy reading a book based in a different time and culture (Kansas farmers). It's always interesting to see how "far" we've come since then. There are things like buttermilk that I'm glad aren't the norm anymore, but then things like affairs and unwed mothers are totally acceptable now. So, yes, it's kinda fun to read and imagine what it would be like to have lived then.

I thought the characters and even
Julianne
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I saw that all the book clubs in America seemed to be reading this book, so I was glad when my church book club chose this title. First let me say that this is a clean and wholesome book, and I can recommend it to anyone. But then suddenly, about three-fourths of the way in, there's a swear word! And it is shocking! However, it is in an extreme scene where the use of the word can be justified, so I chose not to take offense. All the ladies at the book club agreed. So don't worry about that.

It's
Gigi
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was chosen for a book club. I enjoy books from by gone era's and this is one of them. It takes a look at the lives of women living in Kansas during the depression. It illustrates their strong characters, their work ethic, and the strength of friendship. Besides all of this it has a wonderful plot with twists and turns that made it even more enjoyable to read. I also liked the book because it reminds us that even people living "simple" lives can have a strong understanding of those arou ...more
Jenny Belk
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Sandra Dallas' books. The Persian Pickle Club is a quilting club whose quirky female members live in Harleyville, Kansas in the 1930s. It is a dry season and crops are few. Times are hard. Each week they meet to quilt, gossip and share their problems. There is a mystery to be solved and each member has their own ideas.
This was a quick, satisfying read with a surprise ending.
Sariah
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
We read this for book club this month, and I think it's going to be a really fun discussion! It was a super quick read (only took me a day), but the story is so strong and the writing is so clear... it was enjoyable throughout. I loved each character and could really see them in my mind. Of course the main character, Queenie, had such a great voice, it was hard to put the book down once I started it. There's a twist and surprise around every corner. Definitely worth reading.
Nancy
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just recently read this book again and it was like visiting an old friend. I love the development of Queenie, and through her eyes, the development of her friends in The Persian Pickle Club. This book is about friendship, loyalty, longing, and a bit of mystery, set in the Depression era. There's a twist to the story that makes you keep reading. It's an easy and very enjoyable read. It is totally appropriate for moms to recommend to their teen-aged daughters to read as well.
Jen
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I guess I'm on a quilt book kick. (thanks to my mom, who picked out some books for me at the library when I was home-bound!) and I liked this one better than the Jennifer Chiaverini ones. Makes me want to get together with some friends and quilt!

This has better characters, a better story (oooo a murder mystery!) and was much more interesting. I wish I'd read it when my book group read it because I think it would make for a good discussion. Great ending!!
Lauren
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Easy read.... I liked the author's writing style- I felt like I could picture almost each lady in the Pickle club- I enjoy reading about other time periods too and I always come away thinking.... "I never could have lived during ..... i.e. Dust Bowl, Great Depression, in the case of this book.
Morgan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly engaging, despite the cutesy name! Great summer read.
Susan
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Quick read. A slice of life from the 1930's. A story of friendship and the ways it can be expressed.
Anna Davidson
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
What a great holiday read! It's a quirky story with terrific characters and a twist at the end. How could you not love a book with this title?!
Anne
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely, simple little book, just a bit longer than a short story. Set in Kansas during the Depression, it focuses on the women of The Persian Pickle Quilting Club's lives. And their secrets!
Mell
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This tries too hard to be folksy, and it shows. But the quilting elements of the story were nice.
Bookworm Bitches : November 2011: The Persian Pickle Club 51 237 Apr 13, 2017 03:58PM
prs 5 16 Jun 05, 2014 09:01PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Finally! Finished the states challenge.... 2 6 Dec 11, 2013 09:44PM
  • The Ladies Auxiliary
  • The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle
  • Tales from the Pantry: Random Rants & Musings of a Stay-At-Home Mom
  • Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1)
  • Sarah's Quilt (Sarah Agnes Prine, #2)
  • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
  • The Magic of Ordinary Days
  • Patty Jane's House of Curl
  • The Silence of God
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby Series Book 1)
  • Papa Married a Mormon
  • Seven Miracles That Saved America: Why They Matter and Why We Should Have Hope
  • Letters for Emily
  • Small Change: The Secret Life of Penny Burford
  • Charms for the Easy Life
Award-winning author SANDRA DALLAS was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Sandra’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

A journalism graduate of the University of Denver, Sandra began her writing career as a reporter with Business Week. A staff
More about Sandra Dallas...