Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #3: A book by a woman and/or AOC (Author of Color) that won a literary award in 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 405 comments Mod
Use this space to discuss books you're reading or that might fit the 3rd Read Harder task.

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Hawley March Guess who's got two thumbs and is two books away on his to read pile from N.K. Jemisin's The Stone Sky.

message 3: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 241 comments All 3 books in the Broken Earth Trilogy have won Hugo Awards.

In 2016, Jemisin's novel The Fifth Season won the Hugo Award for Best Novel, making her the first African American writer to win a Hugo award in that category. Its sequels, The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky, won the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

book 1 - The Fifth Season

book 2 - The Obelisk Gate

and book 3 - The Stone Sky

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin Hawley March Rainey wrote: "All 3 books in the Broken Earth Trilogy have won Hugo Awards.

In 2016, Jemisin's novel The Fifth Season won the Hugo Award for Best Novel, making her the first African American writer to win a Hug..."

They really are good. I had pretty much written off fantasy fiction as either all Tolkien-ish or grimdark. The Broken Earth is completely original and absolutely wonderful.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 129 comments Does this need to be the author and book that won the award in 2018, or can it be any book by the author as long as the author won an award in 2018?

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 5 comments Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation won the Bram Stoker Award for graphic novel this year.

message 8: by Three Boys Mom (new)

Three Boys Mom Sing Unburied Sing

message 9: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1306 comments I absolutely loved Chemistry. Great suggestion. I plan to go with Washington Black, (I change plans a lot though) but its amazing how many options there are.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 23 comments Washington Black won Canada's prestigious Giller Prize in 2018 and Esi Edugyan is also an AOC.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 23 comments I am considering Milkman (winner of the 2018 Man Booker Prize) or Normal People (Novel of the Year at the An Post Irish Book Awards).

message 12: by Trish (new)

Trish Leggat (polythenegirl) | 2 comments Three Boys Mom wrote: "Sing Unburied Sing"

what did this win if you don't mind me asking?

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments Trish wrote: "Three Boys Mom wrote: "Sing Unburied Sing"

what did this win if you don't mind me asking?"

National Book Award for Fiction

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 9 comments I found We Are Okay so Ill be trying for that since its been on my TBR for a while.

Also by a woman/AOC both, Piecing Me Together which is YA and won the Coretta Scott King award for 2018, among others.

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments I'm reading Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke, which won the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 2018.

The2CarolinesAndBooks | 11 comments After the chaos of trying to read 8 books in December to finish 2018's Read Harder Challenge, I have decided to double/triple-up on as many tasks as possible. So I chose a poetry collection that also works for Task #9: A book published prior to January 1, 2019, with fewer than 100 reviews on Goodreads. I have chosen to read In the House of My Father. The Author Hiwot Adilow won the 2018 Brunel International African Poetry Prize.

The2CarolinesAndBooks | 11 comments The2CarolinesAndBooks wrote: "After the chaos of trying to read 8 books in December to finish 2018's Read Harder Challenge, I have decided to double/triple-up on as many tasks as possible. So I chose a poetry collection that al..."

Just realized this also works for Task #24: A collection of poetry published since 2014.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 116 comments After considering many different books, I've decided on The Poet X (National Book Award for Young People's Literature). Have heard nothing but amazing things and I've been meaning to read it for a while.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 75 comments I'm going with Home Fire, which won the Women's Prize for Fiction this year.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 6 comments Tracy wrote: "I found We Are Okay so Ill be trying for that since its been on my TBR for a while.

Also by a woman/AOC both, Piecing Me Together which is YA and won the Coretta Sc..."

Thanks for the info--I am going to read Piecing Me Together.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 6 comments Justin wrote: "Guess who's got two thumbs and is two books away on his to read pile from N.K. Jemisin's The Stone Sky."

I am excited to start this series this year!

message 22: by Susanne (last edited Dec 22, 2018 02:36AM) (new)

Susanne | 48 comments I'm going to read the hyped Het smelt by Flemish author Lize Spit, which won the (Dutch) Lucy B. en C.W. van der Hoogtprijs in 2018. The English translation ("The Melting") has not been published yet, but besides the original Dutch version I found translations into Catalan, Danish, French, German, Polish and Spanish. (I love the book cover in Danish & German!)

message 23: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 176 comments Planning on The Fifth Season for this one.

message 24: by Sarah Ruth (new)

Sarah Ruth (smurf_bunny) Justin wrote: "Guess who's got two thumbs and is two books away on his to read pile from N.K. Jemisin's The Stone Sky."

Wow, that series looks amazing! There is no way I could read through all three to use the third for this prompt, but those books are definitely going on my list!

message 25: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments Is there a list somewhere with different awards and the winners of them? Or a GR list that's suitable to help me find more options?

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_splain) | 31 comments I've been meaning to read Exit West for some time, and though it was published in 2017, it won the 2018 LA Times Book Prize for Fiction. Glad to finally get it checked off my list!

message 27: by jayme (last edited Dec 23, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

jayme (jayeliza) | 1 comments Washington Black will be mine. Giller Prize Winner 2018.

message 28: by Ann (last edited Dec 23, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Ann (annshow) | 45 comments Tabitha wrote: "Is there a list somewhere with different awards and the winners of them? Or a GR list that's suitable to help me find more options?"

I find this overview helpful:
http://www.girlxoxo.com/major-book-aw...

and
http://www.bookspot.com/awards/

message 29: by LYNDSEY (new)

LYNDSEY S. (lyndzstone) | 18 comments Theresa wrote: "Does this need to be the author and book that won the award in 2018, or can it be any book by the author as long as the author won an award in 2018?"

Wonding about this as well!

message 30: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 59 comments Theresa wrote: "Does this need to be the author and book that won the award in 2018, or can it be any book by the author as long as the author won an award in 2018?"

I was really hoping I could spin it to be the latter, but reading the prompt I think it needs to be the book.

A book by a woman and/or AOC (Author of Color) that won a literary award in 2018
I'd feel like I could spin it the first way if the "that" was a "who".

message 31: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments Ann wrote: "Tabitha wrote: "Is there a list somewhere with different awards and the winners of them? Or a GR list that's suitable to help me find more options?"

I find this overview helpful:
http://www.girlx..."

Thank you, this helped a lot. Since I have it slotted for another challenge I'm going to go with Flights which won the 2018 Man Booker International Prize.

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather (heather1212) | 6 comments I'll be reading Milkman by Anna Burns, winner of the 2018 Man Booker Prize. I have very seldom been disappointed by a Booker Prize winner.

message 33: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 134 comments Windward Heights by Mary Condé. Winner New Academy Prize in Literature. For us double dippers it has only 8 reviews so far on Goodreads & it is a translated book. Not sure if it is self published.

message 34: by Hope (new)

Hope Does The Hate U Give qualify?

message 35: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1306 comments Do we think being chosen as a best book by the New York Times counts as an award?

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan | 131 comments Bonnie wrote: "Do we think being chosen as a best book by the New York Times counts as an award?"

Mmm not to me, because that’s not a “real” award like the Man Booker prize etc...

message 37: by Bonnie G. (last edited Dec 25, 2018 06:45PM) (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1306 comments That's what I figured. I have lots of candidates but was about to start A Place for Us as soon as I finish my current book and thought I would tick off a box if I could.

message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie Burke | 1 comments I'm going with Prairie Fires: The American Dream of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It won a Cundill History Prize in 2018.

message 39: by Hafsa | حفصہ (last edited Dec 26, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 23 comments Recommendation: Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie. One of the best books I've read this year, won the Women's Prize for Fiction 2018!

message 40: by Ady (new)

Ady (adyreader) Kate wrote: "After considering many different books, I've decided on The Poet X (National Book Award for Young People's Literature). Have heard nothing but amazing things and I've been meaning t..."
Oooh! Great Choice! I think that this one will be my choice for this challenge as well.

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 5 comments Hope wrote: "Does The Hate U Give qualify?"

IMO, I would say it is a definite yes. It won the Odyssey Award (audiobook) as well as an honor for Michael L. Printz. It was also a finalist for the National Book Award too.

message 42: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 42 comments I read Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke last year. One of my favorites from 2018.

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca77) | 74 comments I went through a prize list, and in addition to some already mentioned, found

Flights

The Dark Dark

The Idiot

Improvement

In the Distance

message 44: by Adelia (new)

Adelia (delia76) | 1 comments I am reading Her Body and Other Parties

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon M-W | 2 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Washington Black won Canada's prestigious Giller Prize in 2018 and Esi Edugyan is also an AOC."

I am just finishing Washington Black now (so I'll need a different title for 2019 challenge), but wanted to add that I think it's fantastic. Edugyan has a really beautiful writing style & created a very compelling and unpredictable story. Highly recommend this!

message 46: by Angela (new)

Angela | 4 comments Ocean Vuong won the TS Eliot prize at the beginning of the year with Night Sky with Exit Wounds. It also works for challenge #24.

message 47: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments Hi! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions on listopia in case that's easeir for some people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 48: by Christiana (new)

Christiana (christianaxoxo) | 2 comments Tracy wrote: "I found We Are Okay so Ill be trying for that since its been on my TBR for a while.

Also by a woman/AOC both, Piecing Me Together which is YA and won the Coretta Sc..."

We Are Okay was one of the best books I read this year. Heartbreaking and gorgeous.

message 49: by Christiana (new)

Christiana (christianaxoxo) | 2 comments The Best We Could Do won the American Book Award in 2018! I just bought a copy for a gift for someone.

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethlk) | 179 comments Maryse Conde is both a woman and a POC, and she won the New Academy Prize in Literature (the Alternative Nobel) in 2018. So I think I'm going to grab one of her books from the local library (they have Segu and The Story of the Cannibal Woman). I've been meaning to read her stuff for awhile, and this is a great opportunity to do it.

« previous 1 3