Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - The Challenge Executioners (5)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 238 (238 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:43PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21324 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ Lisa

Ensemble:
✔ Krissy
✔ Roger - Pres
✔ Liz (Bug)
✔ Lioness7
✔ DianeD

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:51AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21324 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21324 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21324 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Oct 20, 2018 01:02AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Week 1 to 6. Completed
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Nov 13, 2018 10:58PM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Week 7 to 11
(view spoiler)

Week 11.
Krissy
Roger - Pres
Liz (Bug)
Lioness7
DianeD

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Nov 09, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Weekly Category
Week 1 Homeless Mc
Week 2 Nerds and Geeks
Week 3 Magic
Week 4 Social Status
Week 5 Anthology
Week 6 TBR
Week 7 Writers
Week 8 Musicians
Week 9 Set in UK
Week 10 Building on cover
Week 11

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Sep 01, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Hi Guys.
Nice to have a group of MM readers, makes option 2 alot easier.
Its nice that we all know each other as well.
Hope you all have fun with this round.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments hello all! I think I know most of you. The only one I am not sure of is DianeD. Well I usually warn people I read mainly M/M but as Most of the member belong to the M/M Romance Group, it is not as important. I will do more of an introduction on either the fourth or fifth. Depending on my work schedule.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "hello all! I think I know most of you. The only one I am not sure of is DianeD. Well I usually warn people I read mainly M/M but as Most of the member belong to the M/M Romance Group, it is not as ..."

I guess I do know everyone and we are all M/M readers. First time I was ever in a non M/M group that I have had a team where everyone reads some M/M.

message 11: by Diane (last edited Aug 31, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

Diane Dannenfeldt | 523 comments Hey guys, I think I know just about all of ya. And it’s also my first time being in a non mm group challenge were everyone reads mm. This is my first go around on this one so bare with me. I’m seeing if I can juggle this challenge along with two bingos. Anyway I look forward to playing. Have a great weekend!

message 12: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments Hi everybody! All familiar faces to me :) I'm excited to play another round of PtP!

message 13: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 179 comments Wow, I've seen everyone here in other challenges. It is great to be on a team with you all. This is my second time with this challenge. I had a great time the last time I played. This is my first time joining a general romance challenge where all my teammates enjoy m/m romance. I read pretty much all genres, but love anything romance the best. I already have some books picked out and am ready to start.

I am terrible at names. I'll try to think up a couple tonight and post them tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and Labor Day if you celebrate.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Heck, I forgot about the naming thing.
Time to put on the old thinking cap

message 15: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments I'll wait for options then vote. Lol. I hate trying to come up with a name

message 16: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Hi everyone! Nice to see so many familiar faces! This is my second time playing and I really enjoyed it last time.

Hmm...I’m not great at coming up with names either. Last time it was easier because I’m much more familiar with fairytales than Gilbert and Sullivan! Thinking cap on...

message 17: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Diane wrote: "Hey guys, I think I know just about all of ya. And it’s also my first time being in a non mm group challenge were everyone reads mm. This is my first go around on this one so bare with me. I’m seei..."

I’m doing this challenge and two bingos too, Diane. It actually worked pretty well last time because you can use one of your bingo books for this challenge and vice versa. They didn’t always match up but it saved me from having to write three reviews some weeks. 😁

message 18: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Some ideas based on song titles from The Pirates of Penzance:
Oh better Far to Live and Read!
Climbing Over Rocky TBR Mountains
A Rolicking Band of Readers We!
Hush, Hush! Not a word...We’re Reading!

message 19: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 179 comments Okay. Here goes nothing for naming ideas. I really don't know much about Gilbert and Sullivan, so I am trying my best to make the names relevant.

The Pieces of Eight Readers
The Book Bandits
The Challenge Executioners

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments OK, team.
If we can decide on a name in the next 2 days, Jane might call the first cat early if all other teams are named as well.
Any preferences??

I quite like The Challenge Executioners.

message 21: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments I also like The Challenge Executioners

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Diane wrote: "Hey guys, I think I know just about all of ya. And it’s also my first time being in a non mm group challenge were everyone reads mm. This is my first go around on this one so bare with me. I’m seei..."

I am also doing two bingoes! Plus captain in speedy.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Challenge Executioners is good!

message 24: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments I've got 4 bingos about to start. I'll be a busy girl soon :)

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane Dannenfeldt | 523 comments I like Challenge Executioners!

message 26: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Bummer, I really liked “A Rollicking Band of Readers We,” but I’ll go with The Challenge Executioners. 😁

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Ok, 4 votes for The Challenge Executioners.
Ill let Jane know

message 28: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 179 comments I'm doing one Bingo and the Scavenger Hunt. I also have a couple of personal challenges I'm working on. Not anything with a time constraint thank goodness.

message 29: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Krissy wrote: "I've got 4 bingos about to start. I'll be a busy girl soon :)"

Wow! That’s a lot of BINGO! Are you playing in the MMRG? Where else do you play?

message 30: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments Liz (Bugetta) wrote: "Krissy wrote: "I've got 4 bingos about to start. I'll be a busy girl soon :)"

Wow! That’s a lot of BINGO! Are you playing in the MMRG? Where else do you play?"

2 in MM and 2 in SOS :)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Theme Announced: # 11 Orphans or homeless

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Week 1 Selection Post
Week # 1
Bookcover/link Galaxies and Oceans
Page numbers 313
How the book qualifies: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Yes. I have wanted to read Galaxies and Oceans since I first saw it.

message 34: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments SELECTION POST
Week #1 - Opt 1: Orphan/Homeless

Sidecar by Amy Lane
My Choice: Sidecar
Page numbers: 270
How the book qualifies: #4 on Gay Romance Featuring a Homeless MC

message 35: by Diane (last edited Sep 05, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

Diane Dannenfeldt | 523 comments Selection Post:

Week #1 - Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless
Bookcover/link: One Man's Trash by Marie Sexton
Page numbers: 343
How the book qualifies: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7... #48

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Messaged everyone to let them know.

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane Dannenfeldt | 523 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Yes. I have wanted to read Galaxies and Oceans since I first saw it."

Really good book!

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21324 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Yes. I have wanted to read Galaxies and Oceans since I first saw it."

This is one I've been eyeing as well :D

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Week 1
Option 2
Dead in the Water
214 pages GR

Series book. Book 1 Dead Speak read by Diane, 8/28/18. Rated 4 stars

message 40: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Selection Post:

Bookcover/link: Falling Down by Eli Easton
# of Pages: 252
How the book qualifies: #16 on the Gay Romance Featuring a Homeless MC list

message 41: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 179 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Yes. I have wanted to read Galaxies and Oceans since I first saw it."

Looks like a good book. I'm putting it on my want to read list.

message 42: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 179 comments Selection Post

Week 1 - Read a book with a MC who was an orphan or is homeless

Book Cover/Link - High Contrast (Evolution Ink, #1) by Tess Bowery High Contrast by Tess Bowery

Pages - 226 pgs/GRs
How the Book Qualifies - #178 on Gay Romance Featuring an Orphaned MC list

message 43: by Diane (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:57PM) (new)

Diane Dannenfeldt | 523 comments Completion Post:

Bookcover/link: One Man's Trash by Marie Sexton
Rating (1-5): ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Review: this was a heavy book. There are a lot of triggers in it and I would recommend reviewing them before you start the book. A lot of the really bad stuff happened in flashbacks. But there still was sone heavy stuff going on in the present. So anyway the story. Taylor is a broken young man who in my opinion is just looking for someone to accept him for who he is and not throw him away. Warren is going through his own demons after several several tours in Afghanistan. They are both carring around loads of guilt. What I love about this book is that there was no magical cure and that this is a long rode before it comes bareable. Taylor is estranged from his and has a small trust fun, he does use it unless it’s a true emergency as he family can track him. When he befriends a heroin addict who is trying to come clean, Taylor uses some of that money to buy something For Riley and his dad was able to track him down. We do get to see Taylor and Warren fall in love and, Taylor and his dad start to reconnect. This is a very heavy angst book and there were numerous parts that made me cry. I hope we see more of them in the next book. I’m hoping that Phil and Charlie get their HEA.

message 44: by Lisa (last edited Sep 08, 2018 03:35AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Week 1
Option 2
Dead in the Water
214 pages GR

Series book. Book 1 Dead Speak read by Diane, 8/28/18. Rated 4 stars

Read 9/7/18
5 stars

Another great instalment in the series.
The whole gang are going on Ronan and Ten's honeymoon cruise to Bermuda.
Things dont start off so well with Carson and Truman at each others throats and Jace waiting until the last moment to board the ship.
Towards the end a real murder occurs.
We have to wait and see whats in store for our friends as several relationships are on the edge.
Roll on October 2nd

message 45: by Krissy (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:49PM) (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments COMPLETION POST
Week #1 - Opt 1: Orphan/Homeless

Sidecar by Amy Lane
Sidecar
-9/07 ★★★★
-I really enjoyed this audiobook. Sweet story, excellent narrator. Amy Lane is usually a good bet so I'm not shocked. I'm surprised at the 6 month separation in the middle. Mainly I'm surprised Casey could stay away from Jo that long. I'm not surprised Jo still kept an eye on him and made sure to drop off food so Casey always had something to eat. Their relationship was a treat to watch unfold.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Format for completion posts:
Week #: 1
Bookcover/link: Galaxies and Oceans
Rating (1-5) 5 stars read 09/06 - 09/07
Review: This is a book about healing wounded hearts. Both characters Patrick Carney and Ethan Hosking/Aubrey Hobbs have wounded hearts for different reasons. Patrick lost the love of his life 4 years ago. Ethan left and abusive relation as A wild brush fire was closing in on a cabin he was left in with no way to drive out. He faked his death, and took on his beloved grandfather's name Aubrey Hobbs. About six months after the fire, Aubrey turn up in the little town where Patrick works as a lighthouse keeper. this is a slow build up to a relationship as both feel their way to healing and love. it is sweet and powerful book another N. R. Walker gem.

message 47: by Lioness7 (new)

Lioness7 | 179 comments Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that we are getting ready to be hit by a hurricane. The last one that hit caused us to lose electric for a little over a week. I am expecting something similar with this one. I should be able to get on tomorrow yet, but everything is up in the air after that. I will probably be late picking my next book and posting this one. I've had a hard time finding time to read the last couple of days with preparations. I'll check in again before it gets really bad. After that, I'll be back when power is restored.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1612 comments Keeping you in my prayers Lioness7.

message 49: by Krissy (new)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 843 comments Good luck and stay safe!!!

message 50: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (bugetta) | 260 comments Good luck , Lioness!

« previous 1 3 4 5