Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Vote October 2018 BOTM,

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Aug 18, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4259 comments Mod
We will be voting for October BOTM, our authors are Leavett to Mankell

Books that will not be included as they were BOTM in 2016;
Solaris
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
Midaq Alley

Excluded as >600 pages
The Golden Notebook 660 pages.
The Apes of God, 656 pages
The Kindly Ones (current seasonal read)

Voting:
All members will have 1 free vote. If you have enough participation points you may cast up to an additional 4 votes. Check the google spreadsheet for your participation points. Here is the link; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
The second book will be chosen by lottery. You may elect to buy a lottery ticket with your points. A lottery ticket will provide you with an opportunity to choose our second book from books listen below Example: I have 4 participation points. I can choose to use those to vote above for book(s) or I can opt to buy lottery tickets. Say I choose to buy 4 lottery tickets. My name will go into the randomizer 4 times. This will be done after the first book is chosen by popular vote.

Participation points will be available here; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
I know that Bookworm has been struggling with the spreadsheet so I hope it is correct.

Please feel free to make comments about various books, try to persuade people to vote for your preferences or other comments pro or con. Have fun!

Here is the link to the survey monkey for voting. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8JRBZ8J

David Leavitt American author
1. The Lost Language of Cranes, Lost Languages has been included in every edition of 1001 books. Published 1986, 300 pages.

Harper Lee American Author
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, has been included in every edition, published 1960, 300 pages.

Laurie Lee English Author
3. Cider With Rosie has been in every edition. Published 1959, 250 pages.

Charlotte Lennox, British author
4. The Female Quixote, all editions, Published 1752, 450 pages.

Siegfried Lenz, German author
5. The German Lesson, All four editions. Published 1968, 450 pages.

Elmore Leonard, American author
6. City Primeval, first edition only, published 1980, 300 pages.

7. La Brava, all edtions, published 1983, 450 pages.

8. Get Shorty, All 4 editions, published 1990, 300 pgs.

Mikhail Lermontov Russian author
9. A Hero Of Our Time, 2, 3, 4 edition. Published 1840, 200 pages.

Nikolai Leskov Russian uathor
10. The Enchanted Wanderer, all 4 editions, Published 1873, 350 pages.

Doris Lessing, British author (born in Iran)
11. The Grass is Singing, all edtions, 1950, 250 pages.

12. Shikasta, first edition, 1979, 350 pages.

13. The Diaries of Jane Somers: The Diary of a Good Neighbor and If The Old Could first edition, published 1983, 500 pages.

Carlo Levi, Itlalian/Jewish
14. Christ Stopped at Eboli: The Story of a Year, all editions, 1945, 250 pages.

Primo Levi, Italian/Jewish
15. If This Is a Man also known as Survival in Auschwitz, all edtions, 1947, 55 pages.

16. If Not Now, When?, all edtitions, 1982, 350 pages.

17. The Drowned and the Saved, all editions, 1986, 200 pages.

Andrea Levy, British/Black
18. Small Island, 2nd edition, 2004, 450 pages.

Matthew Lewis, British author,
19. The Monk All editions, 1796, 450 pages.

Saunders Lewis, British author
20. Monica 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 1930, 100 pages.

Sinclair Lewis, American author
21. Main Street, all editions, 1920, 500 pages.

22. Babbitt, all editions, 1922, 450 pages.

Wyndham Lewis, Canadian author
23. Tarr, all editions, 1918, 400 pages.

24. The Childermass, 1st edition, 300 pages.

25. The Revenge for Love, 1st edition, 1937, 400 pages.

26. Self Condemned, 1st edition, 1954, 400 pages.

Astrid Lindgren, Swedish author
27. Pippi Longstocking, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 1945, 150 pages.

Väinö Linna Finish Author
28. The Unknown Soldier, 2nd, 3rd, 4th editions. 1954, 350 pages.

Clarice Lispector, Ukraine
29. The Passion According to G.H., all editions, 1964, 200 pages.

30. The Hour of the Star, all editions, 1977, 100 pages.

Jack London American author, California
31. The Call of the Wild, 2nd, 3rd, 4th editions. 1903, 200 pages.

32. The Iron Heel, 1st edition, 1907, 350 pages.

33, Martin Eden, 1st edition. 1909, 400 pages

H.P. Lovecraft, R.I. American author
34. At the Mountains of Madness, all editions, 1936, 200 pages.

Malcolm Lowry, England
35. Under the Volcano, all editions, 1947, 400 pages.

36. Dark As The Grave Wherein My Friend Is Laid, 1st edition, 1969, 300 pages.

John Lyly, England
37. Euphues: the Anatomy of Wit 1st edition, 1578, 350 pages.

Ann-Marie MacDonald Canadian author
38. Fall on Your Knees, 2, 3, 4 editions. 1996, 500 pages.

Colin MacInnes, England
39. Absolute Beginners, all editions, 1959, 250 pages.

Henry MacKenzie Scotland
40. The Man Of Feeling, all editions, 1771, 150 pages.

Ian MacPherson Scotland
41. Wild Harbour 1st edition, 1936, 200 pages.

Naguib Mahfouz, Egypt
42. Miramar, 2, 3, 4 editions, 1967, 200 pages.

David Malouf Australia
43. Remembering Babylon, 2, 3, 4 editions, 1993, 200 pages.

André Malraux, French
44. Man's Fate 2, 3, 4, editions, 1933, 400 pages.

Henning Mankell, Sweden
45. Faceless Killers 2, 3, 4 editions, 1991, 300 pages.

message 2: by Kristel (new)

I’ve read 14 of these.

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1536 comments Only 8 for me. I am interested in reading Miramar but I just read Midaq Alley.

message 4: by George P. (new)

George P. | 541 comments I've read seven of these, about that many are already on my to-read list. I'm going to split votes between City Primeval and If This Is A Man.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments Voted- I’ve been wanting to read Small Island for a while.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments I've read 27, so the chances of getting two I haven't read are low. I would love Christ Stopped at Eboli: The Story of a Year or The Man of Feeling.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 645 comments Diane wrote: "I've read 27, so the chances of getting two I haven't read are low. I would love Christ Stopped at Eboli: The Story of a Year or The Man of Feeling."

I voted for Christ Stopped at Eboli: The Story of a Year

message 8: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 483 comments I've only read a handful of these. Of the ones mentioned so far in this thread I could easily get behind The Man of Feeling but I would really like to read Absolute Beginners

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 19, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

I would like a few from this selection but mostly, The Enchanted Wanderer or Small Island. Now I just have to make that difficult decision of whether to spread points or put them all behind one of them.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
I have only read 4 off this list, there are many I could choose from. I read Primo Levi's If This Is Man this year and was very impressed with his writing. I would like to read more of his work so I am going to vote for If Not Now When? and The Drowned and the Saved hoping one will get the randomizer.

message 11: by Kristel (new)

Diane wrote: "I have only read 4 off this list, there are many I could choose from. I read Primo Levi's If This Is Man this year and was very impressed with his writing. I would like to read more of his work so ..."

This time we are doing a lottery and not a randomizer. So you might want to consider your vote and by the way. All books go into the randomizer (not just the ones getting votes).

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1536 comments I would like to read If Not Now, When? I think I will vote for that.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
Gail wrote: "I would like to read If Not Now, When? I think I will vote for that."

:)

message 14: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments So far you all want to read books that aren’t available for me on Overdrive. 🤣

City Primeval and Small Island are the only ones I have easy access too, so I’m just considering whether to split votes between them or just back one.

message 15: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I feel really bad being Canadian and never having read a single Wyndham Lewis.

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Chinook wrote: "I feel really bad being Canadian and never having read a single Wyndham Lewis."

Most of his books are super hard to find. I hope that changes soon.

message 17: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Yeah, I saw that. I suppose it may be easier to track down used copies once I’m in Canada again. I may read that one that is available as an ebook soon though.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Chinook wrote: "Yeah, I saw that. I suppose it may be easier to track down used copies once I’m in Canada again. I may read that one that is available as an ebook soon though."

Tarr and Self-Condemned are fairly easy to find. I have not been successful in securing the other three. It might be different in Canada.

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Diane wrote: "Chinook wrote: "I feel really bad being Canadian and never having read a single Wyndham Lewis."

Most of his books are super hard to find. I hope that changes soon."

I can find Tarr in MnLink but that is the only one I can find.

message 20: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Diane wrote: "Chinook wrote: "Yeah, I saw that. I suppose it may be easier to track down used copies once I’m in Canada again. I may read that one that is available as an ebook soon though."

Tarr and Self-Conde..."

I will report back. We hope to be moved before Christmas.

message 21: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Leni wrote: "I've only read a handful of these. Of the ones mentioned so far in this thread I could easily get behind The Man of Feeling but I would really like to read [book:Absolute Beginners|37..."

Absolute Beginners looks interesting and seems available in the used book market, but inexplicably is not in either of my library systems.

message 22: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 483 comments Liz M wrote: "Absolute Beginners looks interesting and seems available in the used book market, but inexplicably is not in either of my library systems. "

That's a shame! It's one of the few books from the October selection that is actually available through my library service. :P

message 23: by Kristel (new)

Absolute Beginners is available as a kindle edition for $6.49.

message 24: by George P. (new)

George P. | 541 comments Do I ask to buy lottery tickets here? I can't remember. I'd like five.

message 25: by Kristel (last edited Aug 23, 2018 09:48AM) (new)

Yes, sold, and so far, no one else so....

if people want, they can send me private message if they want to keep their purchases secret but so far, George is picking out next book, unless.................

message 26: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 483 comments This lottery ticket thing is making me paralyzed with indecision. Just saying. XD

message 27: by Kristel (new)

Leni wrote: "This lottery ticket thing is making me paralyzed with indecision. Just saying. XD"
I haven’t heard when Jen plans to announce the winner so not sure how long you have to be paralyzed. Just saying, LOL.

message 28: by George P. (new)

George P. | 541 comments If I win the lottery I may (or may not) pick a different book than the ones I voted for :)

message 29: by Kristel (last edited Aug 24, 2018 05:00PM) (new)

George you can’t vote if you use 5 participation points for tickets!

message 30: by Kristel (new)

Clarification; voting is coming to an end. I need clarification on whether you have 5 participation points for lottery tickets, George. I don't know if you also voted for books and how many points you use.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Voting is closed. Results will be posted tomorrow by 8am eastern time