Horror Aficionados discussion

Favorite book at the halfway point of 2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3407 comments Mod
It's hard to believe but 2018 is already halfway over. So many good books have been read and there are so many waiting to be pulled off that enormous TBR pile.

Of the books you've read so far this year, what is your favorite book and why? And what book are you most looking forward to in the second half?

message 2: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11283 comments Mod
Kill Creek it was so damn good and The Broken Girls it was really good, too.

message 3: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 155 comments Oh boy, there are so many that I have liked this year. I don't think I can pick one clear favorite but I do have a few that rise to the top.

The Colorado Kid is one of my faves and it is because of the great characters and just flat out good storytelling.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane was so different and just beautifully written. Gaimen is such a whimsical writer and that style pares so well with tales about childhood.

And I will second The Broken Girls. There are lots of great books out there about the friendship between boys but not so many about girls. This is one of the best books that I have ever read revolving around a group of female childhood friends. There were also several moments that were so creepy that I got chill bumps which doesn't happen to me very often.

A few honorable mentions are The Outsider and The Hunger.

message 4: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments I've got two, one horror/bizarre and the other historical fiction:

The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles and The Terrible Thing That Happens by Carlton Mellick III

I'm really looking forward to reading two of the books mentioned above, Kill Creek and The Broken Girls. I'm also looking forward to reading The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell and The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay .

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5542 comments Mod
I always have a hard time pinning down just one, plus I've read 84 books already, but I will say my top faves that I've read thus far this year are:

The Fisherman - John Langan's novel absolutely lived up to the hype around it, and is the best Lovecraft-inspired story that did not directly involve the Cthulhu Mythos that I've ever read.

Paperbacks from Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction - Grady Hendrix is even funnier talking about 'classic' horror books than he is in his own hilarious books.

The Little Stranger - An astounding Gothic ghost story and just phenomenal writing.

Annihilation - This book far exceeded expectations and was highly original and just as brilliant as, albeit very different from, the movie based on it.

The Ritual - Another book that was excellent and compelling, and at least as good as the movie that came out this year (although, again, quite different).

Bird Box - And another novel that exceeded expectations and lived up to the hype that surrounds it.

The Broken Girls - As mentioned above a really fantastic supernatural story that does a great job of bouncing between the 1950s and modern day.

Song of Kali - I finally got to read Dan Simmons' classic novel and am very glad as it was among his best books and creates such an incredible miasmic atmosphere that just sucks you in from beginning to end.

Also really enjoyed:
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
Into the Drowning Deep
The Devil Crept In
The Chalk Man
The Death of Mrs. Westaway
Harvest Home

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3720 comments There is going to be more than one book to post - lol!

The Dragon's Den (The Metaframe War, #3) by Graeme Rodaughan - continuing series of the Metaframe War - I love this series as I feel like when I read the books I am smack dab in the middle of an action movie! There is nothing more satisfying than being able to gasp for breath with each turn of the page! :)

Craven Manor by Darcy Coates - Darcy Coates normally doesn't disappoint and this book was creepy.

Heartsick (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #1) by Chelsea Cain - just got hooked on this series by Chelsea Cain. I couldn't seem to turn the pages fast enough on this book. So far, this is the best serial killer crime fiction I have read in awhile.

Jurassic, Florida (Hunter Shea One Size Eats All) by Hunter Shea - this was a great book and this was my first book by Hunter Shea too. I loved the action all through the book.

Books I am looking forward too are:

The Day Guard (The Metaframe War, #4) by Graeme Rodaughan - it is suppose to release sometime this year and continues on with the Metaframe War series.

Evil at Heart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #3) by Chelsea Cain - the third in the Chelsea Cain series - really looking forward to it after I finish reading the second book.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 405 comments I think The Ritual has been my favourite new read so far, and I've just finished The Long Walk again and it kicked my ass again.

I've using a random number generator to chose my reads as I have too many on my TBR pile that I keep skipping past. I'm hoping more Simmons, McCammon and Lindqvist are chosen as I really enjoy their books.

message 8: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:23AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6441 comments Mod
So far, Kill Creek by Scott Thomas
They Feed by Jason Parent , and
The Carrow Haunt by Darcy Coates

message 9: by Skwisgaar (new)

Skwisgaar | 2 comments Read We Have Always Lived in the Castle earlier this year and it became my favourite book and Merricat became my favourite literary character, not sure what that says about me.

Looking forward to Bad Apple got it pre-ordered but its not released until august here in the UK, which kinda sucks but its not too far away now.

message 10: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1559 comments Mod
For me, it has been

What Hides Within by Jason Parent What Hides Within by Jason Parent and

Mister Slaughter (Matthew Corbett, #3) by Robert R. McCammon Mister Slaughter by Robert R. McCammon

McCammon has been one of my favorite authors for the last 30 years. Not a bad book in his whole catalog. And Parent has quickly risen in the ranks as a go-to staple. His last few have been fantastic.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:55PM) (new)

2018 is also the year I started reading McCammon. My highlights so far:

Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon
They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon
Gone South by Robert R. McCammon
Stinger by Robert R. McCammon
Ghost Train by Stephen Laws
The Cormorant by Stephen Gregory
Paperbacks from Hell The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction by Grady Hendrix
Towers by Karl A. Fischer
The Scream by John Skipp
The Emerald Burrito of Oz by John Skipp
Eclipse Penumbra A Song Called Youth Trilogy Book Two by John Shirley (the whole trilogy was a highlight)
The Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn, Made in Texas) by Joe R. Lansdale

I am not sure if I should include Swan Song or not, since I have only read a butchered German edition, but I would say yes...

message 12: by Latasha (new)

Yes! I would say yes too. Swan song is so great.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I just wonder if I can appreciate its greatness. It was an amazing read, even if the German version had Sister Creep s backstory deleted.

Oh, and I would rank Boy's Life the greatest of them all, because reading it was a magic experience. I also just realized I forgot to mention The Terror, which I d also rank on the top. It was impressive and transcended genre boundaries.

message 14: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 836 comments Creep by Jennifer hillier

message 15: by Latasha (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:47PM) (new)

Ekel wrote: "Yes, I just wonder if I can appreciate its greatness. It was an amazing read, even if the German version had Sister Creep s backstory deleted.

Oh, and I would rank Boy's Life the grea..."

I hear such great things about A Boy’s Life but still haven’t read it. We’re you able to find a full copy or the cut pieces online somewhere? I likedThe Terror too.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I did. I think I will just re-read the American edition sometime. Are paperbacks of the book hard to find?

message 17: by Latasha (new)

No, I wouldn’t think it would be too hard to find. If I see one in a used bookstore, I’ll keep u in mind.

message 18: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 801 comments Sonya wrote: "Creep by Jennifer hillier"

I loved that one, too.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments My 5 star rated books, so far, are:

Station Eleven

Afraid

Dark Matter

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments It again but closely followed by Leah Rimini's autobiography about Tom Cruise and Scientology and Demons Amongst by Laurence Cole.

message 21: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 2005 comments WendyB wrote: "It's hard to believe but 2018 is already halfway over. So many good books have been read and there are so many waiting to be pulled off that enormous TBR pile.

Of the books you've read so far this..."

So far, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I absolutely loved every word.

A very close second was Sleeping Giants.

I am looking forward to The Name of the Wind. Even though it has been hit or miss for readers; I am looking forward to it.

message 22: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I’ve been binging on Stephen King chronological order of publication date so here’s the order I’ve come up with up to now;

1. The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
2. The Green Mile
3. Pet Semetary
4. IT
5. Different Seasons
6. The Stand
7. The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands
8. Dolores Claiborne
9. The Shining
10. Misery
11. Gerald’s Game
12. The Long Walk
13. The Dead Zone
14. Bag of Bones
15. Thinner
16. The Outsider
17. The Talisman
18. Cujo
19. The Eyes of the Dragon
20. The Dark Tower : The Drawing of the Three
21. Carrie
22. The Regulators
23. Needful Things
24. Insomnia
25. Salem’s Lot
26. The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
27. Sleeping Beauties
28. Fire Starter
29. Night Shift
30. Skeleton Crew
31. The Dark Half
32. Desperation
33. Four Past Midnight
34. The Tommyknockers
35. Christine
36. Nightmares & Dreamscapes
37. Running Man
38. Rose Madder
39. Rage
40. Roadwork
41. Cycle of the Werewolf
42. Danse Macabre
43. Creepshow

Next up Storm of the Century.

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth (1tuffcookie) | 204 comments My top reads this year are
You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

message 24: by Ctgt (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments My only 5 star read was the Thurgood Marshall book
Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America.

My top horror read was
The Terror

message 25: by Latasha (new)

Beth wrote: "My top reads this year are
You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier"

yay! for Rebecca!

message 26: by Latasha (new)

Marc-Antoine wrote: "I’ve been binging on Stephen King chronological order of publication date so here’s the order I’ve come up with up to now;

1. The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
2. The Green Mile
3. Pet Semetary ..."

uh oh, my current read is at number 33...I'm on secret window, secret garden and I'm struggling with it.

message 27: by Benjamin (last edited Jul 09, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Skwisgaar wrote: "Read We Have Always Lived in the Castle earlier this year and it became my favourite book and Merricat became my favourite literary character, not sure what that says about me. "

One of my favourites as well! So I'd hope that says you have excellent taste.

As for my own reading this year, I've been really impressed by:

The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein
Blackwater The Complete Saga by Michael McDowell
Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente
Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon
Bryony and Roses by T. Kingfisher
Hild by Nicola Griffith
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

message 28: by James (new)

James Loftus Darkly Dreaming Dexter, I started reading it because of the stylish writing was recommended to me.
Loving the wit, the charm, the psychological depth, the plot, and yes very jaunty cavalier writing which contrasts the horror nicely. Like a gunman shooting people in MacDonald's & looking into a camera & commenting on how good the burger is, and it's a commerical.
Funny/Horrific!

message 29: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments The Waste Lands, The Green Mile both by Stephen King and I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid.

message 30: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6587 comments I'm so far behind on my 2018 Challenge that it's almost embarrassing.

Here's the best though:

A Fine Dark Line by Joe R. Lansdale

message 31: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 332 comments My favorite dark fiction so far,

Banquet For the Damned by Adam Nevill (admittedly, I still have about 50 pages to go)

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
Hollywood Nocturnes by James Ellroy (story collection)
A Coffin for Dimitrios by Eric Ambler

Not so dark,
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin

message 32: by Peter (new)

Peter | 110 comments Stephen King: Revival

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2880 comments Skin Medicine by Tim Curran

Looking forward to reading The Endlands II by Vincent Hobbes, the first one is one of my favorite books.

message 34: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5542 comments Mod
Up until the last book I read which was kinda meh, I actually had a streak of 12 books that I really liked, giving each 3.5-5 stars.

Since my first post, I'd add these as some of the best I've read this year:

What the Hell Did I Just Read by David Wong. Wong's JDATE series' funniest entry yet.

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons. One of the best haunted (evil) house stories ever. This book really got under my skin like few have.

The Child by Fiona Barton. Her sophomore effort was twisty and unexpected much like her first novel.

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay. Tremblay's best writing yet, and one of the best books, if not the best book of the year. I don't think I've ever read a novel where the author did as good a job of getting you emotionally connected to the characters.

The Grip of It by Jac Jemc. Another of the all-time great haunted house novels.

The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan, Yet another fantastic and different haunted house themed books. This must have been my unplanned haunted house novel year.

Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman. Another phenomenal and original book that really gets to you.

message 35: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3720 comments Since my last post which was in the beginning of July, I have a couple or more to add to my list:

Witch Island by David Bernstein by David Bernstein - this was a five star read for me as it was really good!

Devil's Bait by Debbie Boek by Debbie Boek - this was another five star read - scary enough to give me bad dreams!

Thresher A Deep Sea Thriller by Michael Cole by Michael Cole - this was another five star read - the best shark book I have read in a long time

The House by the Cemetery by John Everson by John Everson - four star read and it was creepy with some major added flavor of gore tossed in for good measure.

message 36: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I have one to add as well -
Sodom Road Exit by Amber Dawn by Amber Dawn

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments Another one for me to add:

A Head Full of Ghosts

I loved everything about this one.

The_○ne_with_the_endless_TBR (evagriathefaithful) Boy's Life and The Boy on the Bridge

Enjoyed verything about them. When a book leaves you with wanting more it did its job

message 40: by Latasha (new)

I will be adding some of these to my to read list if they aren’t already on there.