Great American Read List discussion

Members' Progress > Lavan's bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 19, 2018 02:40PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
I have read 13 of the 64 stand-alone novels on the list prior to creating this group.

1984George Orwell
Charlotte's WebE.B. White
FrankensteinMary Shelley
Gone with the WindMargaret Mitchell
The Grapes of WrathJohn Steinbeck
Great ExpectationsCharles Dickens
The Great GatsbyF. Scott Fitzgerald
The HelpKathryn Stockett
Invisible ManRalph Ellison
SiddharthaHermann Hesse
The Sun Also RisesErnest Hemingway
Where the Red Fern GrowsWilson Rawls
Wuthering HeightsEmily Brontë

As far as book series ...

The Adventures of Tom and Huck by Mark Twain
✖ #1—The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
☐ #2—The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
☐ #3—Tom Sawyer Abroad
☐ #4—Tom Sawyer, Detective
read: 1 of 4

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
✖ #1—Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
✖ #2—Through the Looking Glass
read: all

Dollanganger by V.C. Andrews
✖ #1—Flowers in the Attic
☐ #2—Petals on the Wind
☐ #3—If There be Thorns
☐ #4—Seeds of Yesterday
☐ #5—Garden of Shadows
read: 1 of 5

Earth's Children by Jean M. Auel
✖ #1—The Clan of the Cave Bear
✖ #2—The Valley of Horses
✖ #3—The Mammoth Hunters
✖ #4—The Plains of Passage
✖ #5—The Shelters of Stone
✖ #6—The Land of Painted Caves

Fifty Shades by E.L. James
✖ #1—Fifty Shades of Grey
✖ #2—Fifty Shades Darker
✖ #3—Fifty Shades Freed

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
✖ #1—Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
✖ #2—Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
✖ #3—Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
✖ #4—Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
✖ #5—Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
✖ #6—Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
✖ #7—Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
✖ #1—The Hunger Games
✖ #2—Catching Fire
✖ #3—Mockingjay

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
✖ #1—The Fellowship of the Ring
✖ #2—The Two Towers
✖ #3—The Return of the King

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
✖ #1—The Notebook
☐ #2—The Wedding
read: 1 of 2

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
✖ #1—Outlander
✖ #2—Dragonfly in Amber
✖ #3—Voyager
✖ #4—Drums of Autumn
✖ #5—The Fiery Cross
✖ #6—A Breath of Snow and Ashes
☐ #7—An Echo in the Bone
☐ #8—Written in my Own Heart's Blood
read: 6 of 8

Robert Langdon by Dan Brown
✖ #1—Angels & Demons
✖ #2—The Da Vinci Code
✖ #3—The Lost Symbol
✖ #4—Inferno
☐ #5—Origin
read: 4 of 5

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
✖ #1—Twilight
✖ #2—New Moon
✖ #3—Eclipse
✖ #4—Breaking Dawn
_______

Regardless, I plan to read every book chosen by the group including rereads with the exception of Wuthering Heights because I just read that this year (Feb. 9- 15). I'm also currently reading A Song of Ice and Fire #1—A Game of Thrones (since April 21st).

message 2: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

1. Feb. 9-15: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë —421 pp. (first-time read) ★★★☆☆
" 'Mrs. Heathcliff is my daughter-in-law,' said Heathcliff, corroborating my surmise. He turned, as he spoke, a peculiar look in her direction: a look of hatrid; unless he has a most perverse set of facial muscles that will not, like those of other people, interpret the language of his soul." — p. 56
_______

2. April 21-June 6: A Game of Thrones—A Song of Ice and Fire #1 by George R.R. Martin —831 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★★
" 'My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a wetstone, if it is to keep its edge.' " — p. 126

" 'Hear my words, and bear witness to my vow,' they recited, their voices filling the twilit grove. 'Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Nights Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.' " — p. 509

"All that Syrio Florel had taught her went racing though her head. Swift as a deer. Quiet as a shadow. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Quick as a snake. Calm as still water. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Strong as a bear. Fierce as a wolverine. Fear cuts deeper than swords. The man who fears losing has already lost. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Fear cuts deeper than swords. ..." — p. 521

" 'And to Rhaego son of Drogo, the stallion who will mount the world, to him I pledge a gift. To him I will give this iron chair his mother's father sat in. I will give him Seven Kingdoms. I, Drogo, khal, will do this thing.' His voice rose. 'I will take my khalasar west to where the world ends, and ride the wooden horses across the black salt water as no khal has done before. I will kill the men in the iron suits and tear down their stone houses. ... This I swear before the Mother of Mountains, as the stars look down in witness.' " — p. 579

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

3. June 1-16: The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.—203 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★☆

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

4. July 2-6: Ghost by Jason Reynolds —111 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★☆
" ' ... I know what it's like to live here. I know what it's like to be angry, to feel, I don't know, rage on the inside.' Coach's face seemed to relax a little, like he was cooling down. 'And the same thing running did for me, I felt like it could do for you.' He looked out the front window and shook his head. 'But maybe I was wrong.'
'What did you think it would do for me?' I asked, realizing that he never thought it could help me dunk by next year. Realizing I didn't even really want to play basketball anymore.
He faced me again, looking straight in my eyes. 'Show you that you can't run away from who you are, but what you can do is run toward who you want to be.' " — p. 92

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 14, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

5. July 1-11: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse —156 pp. (reread) ★★★★★
"The world was beautiful when regarded like this, without searching, so simply, in such a childlike way. Moon and stars were beautiful, beautiful were bank and stream, forest and rocks, goat and gold-bug, flower and butterfly. So lovely, so delightful to go through the world this way, so like a child, awake, open to what is near, without distrust. The sun's heat on one's head felt different, the cool shade of the woods felt different, water from the brook and cistern tasted different, as did the pumpkin and banana. Short were the days, short the nights, each hour fled swiftly as a sail on the sea, under that sail a ship full of treasures, full of joys." — p. 63

"He was still a boy when it came to love, one who besides tended blindly and rapaciously to plunge into pleasure as into a bottomless abyss, and she taught him from the ground up: that one cannot take pleasure without giving pleasure, and that every gesture, every stroke, every touch, every look, each minute point of the body has its mystery, the awakening of which gives joy to the initiated. She taught him that after a celebration of love, lovers dare not part without first admiring each other, without being conquered precisely as they themselves have conquered, so that in neither of the two may satiation or barrenness arise or the bad feeling of having abused or having been abused. Delightful were the hours he spent with the lovely and clever artist, becoming her student, her paramour, her friend." — p. 76

" 'One can convey knowledge but not wisdom. One can find wisdom, one can live it, one can be borne by it, one can work wonders with it, but one can neither speak it nor teach it.' " — p. 126

" 'Love ... seems to me the matter principal, foremost of all. ... the one thing that concerns me is the ability to love the world, not to hold it in contempt, not to hate it and myself, to be able to regard it and myself and all beings with love and admiration and reverence.' " — p. 129

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I really like how you are adding quotes from the book in your comments. That's a fun way to remember the books read. :)

message 7: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2018 08:07PM) (new)

Tasha wrote: "I really like how you are adding quotes from the book in your comments. That's a fun way to remember the books read. :)"

Thank you, Tasha!
For now, I'm using GoodReads to record favorite quotations of read books but I plan to purchase a journal to write them down—maybe leatherbound. I think it will be nice to flip through and revisit beloved passages when the inclination arises.

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

6. July 22-26: Patina by Jason Reynolds —144 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★☆

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Book journaling is hot right now, enjoy!

message 10: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

I didn't know book journaling was a thing or that it was trending, but I did a Google search and saw how popular it is. There are a lot of sources that offer advice on how to keep one.

I may do it differently than originally planned. I might print them and keep them in a folder or similar. That way, if I want to change anything it's easier and I like the ability to use bold, italics, and underline features which wouldn't look as polished handwritten.

message 11: by Tasha (last edited Aug 01, 2018 03:01AM) (new)

Tasha I have a little journal (for book journaling) that I mean to get working on but I always forget. I'm not creative so I started out challenging myself to be more creative but with time limits, I've just started just straight out writing more. It's fun. Once the business of summer settles down a bit I'm going to get back to it. Have fun organizing your stuff!

message 12: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Making time to do it is certainly a challenge for me as well. I've wanted to start it since February. Hopefully, it'll get done before the year ends!

message 13: by Tasha (last edited Aug 01, 2018 03:06AM) (new)

Tasha That is very true, Loretta. I try to use my book 'journal' more as a way to track challenges and what I want to read monthly for the groups I'm in but more often than not end up just using space here on GRs to manage those lists. I am someone that likes tangible lists though so it's something I hope to get back to soon! :)

message 14: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Loretta—I appreciate GoodReads for so many reasons! I find the bookshelves the most useful and I do add quotations in the reviews of read books (I know there is a quotes section on our profiles as well, but I prefer them being attached directly to the books they're from), but like Tasha I want to have a physical copy of certain aspects of my reading history and future goals.
We don't know if GR will always be around, but I hope it will! It would be a shame for members to lose all of the information they've taken the time to add here, especially if they have no other record.

I'm going to create a topic for further discussion of Book Journaling in the READING and Associated Themes section of the group. I'm curious if other members keep one or if they'd like to start!

message 15: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 14, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

7. June 7-Aug. 3: A Clash of Kings—A Song of Ice and Fire #2 by George R.R. Martin —916 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★★
"A dozen great fires raged under the city walls, where casks of burning pitch had exploded, but the wildfire reduced them to no more than candles in a burning house, their orange and scarlet pennons fluttering insignificantly against the jade holocaust. The low clouds caught the color of the burning river and roofed the sky in shades of shifting green, eerily beautiful. A terrible beauty. Like dragonfire." — p. 741

"The battle fever. He had never thought to experience it himself, though Jaime had told him of it often enough. How time seemed to blur and slow and even stop, how the past and the future vanished until there was nothing but the instant, how fear fled, and thought fled, and even your body. 'You don't feel your wounds then, or the ache in your back from the weight of the armor, or the sweat running down into your eyes. You stop feeling, you stop thinking, you stop being you, there is only the fight, the foe, this man and then the next and the next and the next, and you know they are afraid and tired but you're not, you're alive, and death is all around you but their swords move so slowly, you can dance through them laughing.' Battle fever." — p. 758

message 16: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 14, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

8. Aug. 12-14: Sunny—Track #3 by Jason Reynolds —121 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★★

message 17: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm glad you enjoyed the Clash of Kings, Lavan.

message 18: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 16, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

Tasha wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed the Clash of Kings, Lavan."

I really did! I even got a family member to start the series after persuading him for a few weeks.
I haven't started A Storm of Swords yet, but I hope to soon. I'll have more time for side-reads once I finish The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I'm inching my way through that group selection, as it's a challenging read for me.

message 19: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

9. Aug. 5-16: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone—Harry Potter #1 by J.K. Rowling —309 pp. (reread) ★★★☆☆
" 'You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making,' he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word—like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. 'As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through your veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses. ... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death—if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.' — p. 136

" ... It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live ... " — p. 214

" ... to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." — p. 297

" 'There are all kinds of courage,' said Dumbledore, smiling. 'It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom.' " — p. 306

message 20: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

10. Aug. 1-23: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz —296 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★☆
"He was totally and irrevocably in love with Ana. What he used to feel for those girls he'd never really known was nothing compared to the amor he was carrying in his heart for Ana. It had the density of a dwarf-mother****ing-star and at times he was a hundred percent sure it would drive him mad. The only thing that came close was how he felt about his books; only the combined love he had for everything he'd read and everything he hoped to write came even close." — p. 40

message 21: by Tasha (last edited Aug 24, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Tasha Great, 4 stars! I'm feeling 4 stars as well at this point as well, considering a 5 though. :)

message 22: by Lavan, moderator (new)

11. Sept. 1-13: 1984 by George Orwell —294 pp. (reread) ★★★★★
"In his waking thoughts he called it the Golden Country. It was an old rabbit-bitten pasture, with a foot-track wandering across it and a molehill here and there. In the ragged hedge on the opposite side of the field the boughs of the elm trees were swaying very faintly in the breeze, their leaves just stirring in dense masses like women's hair. Somewhere near at hand, though out of sight, there was a clear, slow-moving stream where dace were swimming in the pools under the willow trees." — p. 40

" 'The Eleventh Edition is the definitive edition,' he said. 'We're getting the language into its final shape—the shape it's going to have when nobody speaks anything else. When we've finished with it, people like you will have to learn it all over again. You think, I dare say, that our chief job is inventing new words. But not a bit of it! We're destroying words—scores of them, hundreds of them, every day. We're cutting the language down to the bone. The Eleventh Edition won't contain a single word that will become obsolete before the year 2050.'
... 'It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good," for instance. If you have a word like "good," what need is there for a word like "bad"? "Ungood" will do just as well—better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of "good," what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like "excellent" and "splendid" and all the rest of them? "Plusgood" covers the meaning; or "doubleplusgood" if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already, but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words—in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston?' " — p. 59

"It was as though some huge force were pressing down upon you—something that penetrated inside your skull, battering against your brain, frightening you out of your beliefs, persuading you, almost, to deny the evidence of your senses. In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense." — 86

"In a way, the world-view of the Party imposed itself most successfully on people incapable of understanding it. They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening. By lack of understanding they remained sane. They simply swallowed everything, and what they swallowed did them no harm, because it left no residue behind, just as a grain of corn will pass undigested through the body of a bird." — p. 155

" 'They can make you say anything—anything—but they can't make you believe it. They can't get inside you.'
'No,' he said a little more hopefully, 'no; that's quite true. They can't get inside you. If you can feel that staying human is worth while, even when it can't have any result whatever, you've beaten them.' " — p. 166

"For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function, and they would sweep it away. In the long run, a hierarchical society was only possible on a basis of poverty and ignorance." — p. 185

message 23: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2018 07:23PM) (new)

12. Aug. 25-Sept. 15: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets—Harry Potter #2 by J.K. Rowling —341 pp. (reread) ★★★☆☆
" 'It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.' " — p. 333

message 24: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
You're posting a few good quotes here!

"In a way, the world-view of the Party imposed itself most successfully on people incapable of understanding it..." -- that one struck me too. I have definitely noticed that in the real world.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- I need to get back to my Harry Potter reread at some point. I started rereading them back when they first released the ebook editions through Pottermore. I think I got through the first three or four before getting sidetracked.

message 25: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Thank you, Andrew!

As have I, sadly.
Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power.

You should, then we can reread them together! That's called a "Buddy Read" here on GoodReads, right?
It wouldn't take long for you to reread the first two books. They're light, fun stories, as you know.
I started Prisoner of Azkaban today, but I'm only reading this series when it's sunny, so not everyday.
If memory serves, the writing and story improves with each book. The later books are more intricate and serious, which I like.

message 26: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Yes, that's exactly right, Lavan. At least for me, the series got better and better with each book and the storyline in each definitely gets more intricate.

message 27: by Parker (new)

Parker | 58 comments Tasha wrote: "Yes, that's exactly right, Lavan. At least for me, the series got better and better with each book and the storyline in each definitely gets more intricate."

I agree. It's a series that grew with its readers. Another author who's done that is Tamora Pierce (who's books, sadly, aren't on this list, but are well worth reading).

message 28: by Lavan, moderator (new)

I've heard of Tamora Pierce, but haven't read anything by her. Are her books fantasy as well? Which novel/series of hers is your favorite, Parker?

message 29: by Parker (new)

Parker | 58 comments They're fantasy. Marketed as YA, but I discovered them in my 40s and instantly fell in love. She writes in two universes, Tortall and Emelan. I love them both, but her Tortall books hold a special place in my heart. Her fsmale characters are strong, even the ones who follow the traditional woman's path. Choosing my favourite series is like choosing a favourite child -- impossible. I've read the series well over 100 times. When I'm feeling like I just can't, her women give me hope and shore me up.

message 30: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments Tortall for the win!

message 31: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 29, 2018 08:01PM) (new)

13. Aug. 16-Sept. 29: A Storm of Swords—A Song of Ice and Fire #3 by George R.R. Martin —1156 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★★
"In Old Nan's stories, giants were outsized men who lived in colossal castles, fought with huge swords, and walked about in boots a boy could hide in. These were something else, more bearlike than human, and as wooly as the mammoths they rode. Seated, it was hard to say how big they truly were. Ten feet tall maybe, or twelve, Jon thought. Maybe fourteen, but no taller. Their sloping chests might have passed for those of men, but their arms hung down too far, and their lower torsos looked half again as wide as their upper. Their legs were shorter than their arms, but very thick, and they wore no boots at all; their feet were broad splayed things, hard and horny and black. Neckless, their huge heavy heads thrust forward from between their shoulder blades, and their faces were squashed and brutal. Rats' eyes no larger than beads were almost lost within folds of horny flesh, but they snuffled constantly, smelling as much as they saw.
They're not wearing skins, Jon realized. That's hair. Shaggy pelts covered their bodies, thick below the waist, sparser above. The stink that came off them was choking, but perhaps that was the mammoths. And Jaramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth. He looked for great swords ten feet long, but saw only clubs. Most were just the limbs of dead trees, some still trailing shattered branches. A few had stone balls lashed to the ends to make colossal mauls. The song never says if the horn can put them back to sleep." — p. 206

"High, low, overhand, he rained down steel upon her. Left, right, backslash, swinging so hard that sparks flew when the swords came together, upswing, sideslash, overhand, always attacking, moving into her, step and slide, strike and step, step and strike, hacking, slashing, faster, faster, faster ...
... until, breathless, he stepped back and let the point of the sword fall to the ground, giving her a moment of respite. 'Not half bad,' he acknowledged. 'For a wench.'
She took a slow deep breath, her eyes watching him warily. 'I would not hurt you, Kingslayer.'
'As if you could.' He whirled the blade back up above his head and flew at her again, chains rattling.
Jaime could not have said how long he pressed the attack. It might have been minutes or it might have been hours; time slept when swords woke. He drove her away from his cousin's corpse, drove her across the road, drover her into the trees. She stumbled once on a root she never saw, and for a moment he thought she was done, but she went to one knee instead of falling, and never lost a beat. Her sword leapt up to block a downcut that would have opened her from shoulder to groin, and then she cut at him, again and again, fighting her way back to her feet stroke by stroke.
The dance went on. He pinned her against an oak, cursed as she slipped away, followed her through a shallow brook half-choked with fallen leaves. Steel rang, steel sang, steel screamed and sparked and scraped, and the woman started grunting like a sow at every crash, yet somehow he could not reach her. It was as if she had an iron cage around her that stopped every blow.
'Not bad at all,' he said when he paused for a second to catch his breath, circling to her right.
'For a wench?'
'For a squire, say. A green one.' He laughed a ragged, breathless laugh.
'Come on, come on, my sweetling, the music's still playing. Might I have this dance, my lady?' " — p. 289

" 'The Father's face is stern and strong,
he sits and judges right from wrong.
He weighs our lives, the short and long,
and loves the little children.

The Mother gives the gift of life,
and watches over every wife.
Her gentle smile ends all strife,
and she loves her little children.

The Warrior stands before the foe,
protecting us where e'er we go.
With sword and shield and spear and bow,
he guards the little children.

The Crone is very wise and old,
and sees our fates as they unfold.
She lifts her lamp of shining gold,
to lead the little children.

The Smith, he labors day and night,
to put the world of men to right.
With hammer, plow, and fire bright,
he builds for little children.

The Maiden dances through the sky,
she lives in every lover's sigh.
Her smiles teach the birds to fly,
and give dreams to little children.

The Seven Gods who made us all,
are listening if we should call.
So close your eyes, you shall not fall,
they see you, little children.
Just close your eyes, you shall not fall,
they see you, little children.' "
— p. 622

"When she opened the door to the garden, it was so lovely that she held her breath, unwilling to disturb such perfect beauty. The snow drifted down and down, all in ghostly silence, and lay thick and unbroken on the ground. All color had fled the world outside. It was a place of whites and blacks and greys. White towers and white snow and white statues, black shadows and black trees, the dark grey sky above. A pure world, Sansa thought. I do not belong here.
Yet she stepped out all the same. Her boots tore ankle-deep holes into the smooth white surface of the snow, yet made no sound. Sansa drifted past frosted shrubs and thin dark trees, and wondered if she were still dreaming. Drifting snowflakes brushed her face as light as lover's kisses, and melted on her cheeks. At the center of the garden, beside the statue of the weeping woman that lay broken and half-buried on the ground, she turned her face up to the sky and closed her eyes. She could feel the snow on her lashes, taste it on her lips. It was the taste of Winterfell. The taste of innocence. The taste of dreams." — p. 1059

message 32: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Oct 05, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

14. Sept. 16-Oct. 5: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban—Harry Potter #3 by J.K. Rowling —435 pp. (reread) ★★★☆☆
"Harry was watching the painting. A fat, dapple-gray pony had just ambled onto the grass and was grazing nonchalantly. Harry was used to the subjects of Hogwarts paintings moving around and leaving their frames to visit one another, but he always enjoyed watching it. A moment later, a short, squat knight in a suit of armor clanked into the picture after his pony. By the look of the grass stains on his metal knees, he had just fallen off.
'Aha!' he yelled, seeing Harry, Ron, and Hermione. 'What villains are these, that trespass upon my private lands! Come to scorn at my fall, perchance? Draw, you knaves, you dogs!'
They watched in astonishment as the little knight tugged his sword out of its scabbard and began brandishing it violently, hopping up and down in rage. But the sword was too long for him; a particularly wild swing made him overbalance, and he landed face-down in the grass.
'Are you all right?' said Harry, moving closer to the picture.
'Get back, you scurvy braggart! Back, you rogue!'
The knight seized his sword again and used it to push himself back up, but the blade sank deeply into the grass and, though he pulled with all his might, he couldn't get it out again. Finally, he had to flop back down onto the grass and push up his visor to mop his sweating face.
'Listen,' said Harry, taking advantage of the knight's exhaustion, 'we're looking for the North Tower. You don't know the way, do you?'
'A quest!' The knight's rage seemed to vanish instantly. He clanked to his feet and shouted, 'Come follow me, dear friends, and we shall find our goal, or else shall perish bravely in the charge!'
He gave the sword another fruitless tug, tried and failed to mount the fat pony, gave up, and cried, 'On foot then, good sirs and gentle lady! On! On!'
And he ran, clanking loudly, into the left side of the frame and out of sight.
They hurried after him along the corridor, following the sound of his armor. Every now and then they spotted him running through a picture ahead.
'Be of stout heart, the worst is yet to come!' yelled the knight, and they saw him reappear in front of an alarmed group of women in crinolines, whose picture hung on the wall of a narrow spiral staircase.
Puffing loudly, Harry, Ron, and Hermione climbed the tightly spiraling steps, getting dizzier and dizzier, until at last they heard the murmur of voices above them and knew they had reached the classroom.
'Farewell!' cried the knight, popping his head into a painting of some sinister-looking monks. 'Farewell, my comrades-in-arms! If ever you have need of noble heart and steely sinew, call upon Sir Cadogan!'
'Yeah, we'll call you,' muttered Ron as the knight disappeared, 'if we ever need someone mental.' " — p. 99

"Madam Hooch, who was still overseeing Gryffindor practices to keep an eye on Harry, was just as impressed with the Firebolt as everyone else had been. She took it in her hands before takeoff and gave them the benefit of her professional opinion.
'Look at the balance on it! If the Nimbus series has a fault, it's a slight list to the tail end—you often find they develop a drag after a few years. They've updated the handle too, a bit slimmer than the Cleansweeps, reminds me of the old Silver Arrows—a pity they've stopped making them. I learned to fly on one, and a very fine old broom it was too ... '
She continued in this vein for some time, until Wood said, 'Er—Madam Hooch? Is it okay if Harry has the Firebolt back? We need to practice ... ' " — p. 253

" 'So!' said Snape, his long nostrils quivering. 'Is this another treasured gift from Mr. Weasley? Or is it—something else? A letter, perhaps, written in invisible ink? Or—instructions to get into Hogsmeade without passing the dementors?'
Harry blinked. Snape's eyes gleamed.
'Let me see, let me see ... ' he muttered, taking out his wand and smoothing the map out on his desk. 'Reveal your secret!' he said, touching the wand to the parchment.
Nothing happened. Harry clenched his hands to stop them from shaking.
'Show yourself!' Snape said, tapping the map sharply.
It stayed blank. Harry was taking deep, calming breaths.
'Professor Severus Snape, master of this school, commands you to yield the information you conceal!' Snape said, hitting the map with his wand.
As though an invisible hand were writing upon it, words appeared on the smooth surface of the map.
Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business.
Snape froze. Harry stared, dumbstruck, at the message. But the map didn't stop there. More writing was appearing beneath the first.
Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git.
It would have been very funny if the situation hadn't been so serious. And there was more ...
Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor.
Harry closed his eyes in horror. When he'd opened them, the map had had its last word.
Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball." — p. 286

message 33: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I like how organized you are with your reading! It's fun seeing the progress I bet. :)

message 34: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Thank you, Tasha!
It motivates me to have a visual representation of the progress I make. Without it, I tend to be less focused on my monthly reading goals. I was keeping track with a Memo app on my cell, but it's easier this way.

message 35: by Lavan, moderator (new)

15. Oct. 1-7: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie —189 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★☆
" 'Ought to ferret out the mystery before we go. Whole thing's like a detective story. Positively thrilling.' " — p. 46

message 36: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Oct 13, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

16. Sept. 4-Oct. 13: Lonesome Dove—Lonesome Dove #1 by Larry McMurtry —941 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★★
"The eastern sky was red as coals in a forge, lighting up the flats along the river. Dew had wet the million needles of the chaparral, and when the rim of the sun edged over the horizon the chaparral seemed to be spotted with diamonds. A bush in the backyard was filled with little rainbows as the sun touched the dew.
It was tribute enough to sunup that it could make even chaparral bushes look beautiful, Augustus thought, and he watched the process happily, knowing it would only last a few minutes. The sun spread reddish-gold light through the shining bushes, among which a few goats wandered, bleating. Even when the sun rose above the low bluffs to the south, a layer of light lingered for a bit at the level of the chaparral, as if independent of its source. Then the sun lifted clear, like an immense coin. The dew quickly died, and the light that filled the bushes like red dust dispersed, leaving clear, slightly bluish air." — p. 60

" 'It's a funny life,' Augustus said. 'All these cattle and nine-tenths of the horses is stolen, and yet we was once respected lawmen. If we get to Montana we'll have to go into politics. You'll wind up governor if the dern place ever gets to be a state. And you'll spend all your time passing laws against cattle thieves.' " — p. 249

message 37: by Lavan, moderator (new)

17. Oct. 6-18: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire—Harry Potter #4 by J.K. Rowling —734 pp. (reread) ★★★☆☆
"A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:
Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.
They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts school began.
Now each of these four founders
Formed their own house, for each
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.
By Gryffindor, the bravest were
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
Would always be the best;
For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Loved those of great ambition.
While still alive they did divide
Their favorites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?
'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!
Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind
And tell where you belong!"
— p. 176

"Hagrid emerged from the back of his cabin balancing a teetering tower of crates, each containing a very large Blast-Ended Skrewt. To the class's horror, Hagrid proceeded to explain that the reason the skrewts had been killing one another was an excess of pent-up energy, and that the solution would be for each student to fix a leash on a skrewt and take it for a short walk.
... 'Take this thing for a walk?' he [Malfoy] repeated in disgust, staring into one of the boxes. 'And where exactly are we supposed to fix the leash? Around the sting, the blasting end, or the sucker?'
'Roun' the middle,' said Hagrid, demonstrating. 'Er—yeh might want ter put on yer dragon-hide gloves, jus' as an extra precaution, like.'
... The skrewts were now over three feet long, and extremely powerful. No longer shell-less and colorless, they had developed a kind of thick, grayish, shiny armor. They looked like a cross between giant scorpions and elongated crabs—but still without recognizable heads or eyes. They had become immensely strong and very hard to control.
'Look like they're havin' fun, don' they?' Hagrid said happily. Harry assumed he was talking about the skrewts, because his classmates certainly weren't; every now and then, with an alarming bang, one of the skrewts' ends would explode, causing it to shoot forward several yards, and more than one person was being dragged along on their stomach, trying desperately to get back on their feet." — p. 294

" 'Oh this is no use,' Hermione said, snapping shut Weird Wizarding Dilemmas. 'Who on earth wants to make their nose hair grow into ringlets?'
'I wouldn't mind,' said Fred Weasley's voice. 'Be a talking point, wouldn't it?' " — p. 487

message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments Is there a way to cut and paste the 100 book log into a personal book shelf? I can’t figure out how. It is probably easy.

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments I finally got my IPad to cut and paste the list. It doesn’t look pretty and organized like yours.

message 40: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Cindy wrote: "I finally got my IPad to cut and paste the list. It doesn’t look pretty and organized like yours."

I would use copy and paste as you have, but I don't know if it's easier or more difficult to accomplish on an iPad compared to a laptop (I've never used an iPad).

If you want to make your list fancier you can use the (some html is ok) feature located at the upper right of the comment box. That's how I made book titles bold and italicized author names on THE LIST.

I hope this is helpful, Cindy!

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments Very helpful, thank you

message 42: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Cindy wrote: "Very helpful, thank you"

You're most welcome, Cindy!

message 43: by Lavan, moderator (new)

18. Oct. 19-Nov. 8: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix—Harry Potter #5 by J.K. Rowling —870 pp. (reread) ★★★★☆
" 'They're trying to discredit him,' said Lupin. 'Didn't you see the Daily Prophet last week? They reported that he'd been voted out of the Chairmanship of the International Confederation of Wizards because he's getting old and losing his grip, but it's not true, he was voted out by Ministry wizards after he made a speech announcing Voldemort's return. They've demoted him from Chief Warlock on the Wizengamot—that's the Wizard High Court—and they're talking about taking away his Order of Merlin, First Class, too.'
'But Dumbledore says he doesn't care what they do as long as they don't take him off the Chocolate Frog cards,' said Bill, grinning. " — p. 95

" 'Now ... how long have you been teaching at Hogwarts?' she asked, her quill poised over the clipboard.
'Fourteen years,' Snape replied. His expression was unfathomable. Harry, watching him closely, added a few drops to his potion; it hissed menacingly and turned from turquoise to orange.
'You applied first for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post, I believe?' Professor Umbridge asked Snape.
'Yes,' said Snape quietly.
'But you were unsuccessful?'
Snape's lip curled.
'Obviously.'
Professor Umbridge scribbled on her clipboard.
'And you have applied regularly for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post since you first joined the school, I believe?'
'Yes,' said Snape quietly, barely moving his lips. He looked very angry.
'Do you have any idea why Dumbledore has consistently refused to appoint you?' asked Umbridge.
'I suggest you ask him,' said Snape jerkily.
'Oh I shall,' said Professor Umbridge with a sweet smile.
'I suppose this is relevant?' Snape asked, his black eyes narrowed.
'Oh yes,' said Professor Umbridge. 'Yes, the Ministry wants a thorough understanding of teachers'—er—backgrounds ... ' " — p. 363

message 44: by Lavan, moderator (new)

19. Nov. 9-25: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince—Harry Potter #6 by J.K. Rowling —652 pp. (reread) ★★★★★
" 'Pathetic, Weasley,' said Snape, after a while. 'Here—let me show you—'
He turned his wand on Harry so fast that Harry reacted instinctively; all thought of nonverbal spells forgotten, he yelled, 'Protego!'
His Shield Charm was so strong Snape was knocked off-balance and hit a desk. The whole class had looked around and now watched as Snape righted himself, scowling.
'Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?'
'Yes,' said Harry stiffly.
'Yes, sir.'
'There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor.'
The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying. Several people gasped, including Hermione. Behind Snape, however, Ron, Dean, and Seamus grinned appreciatively.
'Detention, Saturday night, my office,' said Snape. 'I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter ... not even 'the Chosen One.' ' " — p. 180

" 'I don't think you should be an Auror, Harry,' said Luna unexpectedly. Everybody looked at her. 'The Aurors are part of the Rotfang Conspiracy, I thought everyone knew that. They're working to bring down the Ministry of Magic from within using a combination of Dark Magic and gum disease.'
Harry inhaled half his mead up his nose as he started to laugh. Really, it had been worth bringing Luna just for this. ... " — p. 320

message 45: by Lavan, moderator (new)

20. Nov. 1-Dec. 3: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold —265 pp. (first-time read) ★★★☆☆

"The goodnight kiss was something at which my father excelled. As my father stood at the end of the bed after closing the venetian blinds and running his hands down them to make sure they were all down at the same slant—no rebel venetian stuck to let the sunlight in on his son before he came to wake him—my brother would often get goose bumps on his arms and legs. The anticipation was so sweet.
'Ready, Buck?' my father would say, and sometimes Buckley said 'Roger,' or sometimes he said 'Takeoff,' but when he was most frightened and giddy and waiting for peace he just said 'Yes!' And my father would take the thin cotton top sheet and bunch it up in his hands while being careful to keep the two corners between his thumb and forefinger. Then he would snap it out so the pale blue (if they were using Buckley's) or lavender (if they were using mine) sheet would spread out like a parachute above him and gently, what felt wonderfully slowly, it would waft down and touch along his exposed skin—his knees, his forearms, his cheeks and chin. Both air and cover somehow there in the same space at the same time—it felt like the ultimate freedom and protection. It was lovely, left him vulnerable and quivering on some edge and all he could hope was that if he begged him, my father would oblige and do it again. Air and cover, air and cover—sustaining the unspoken connection between them: little boy, wounded man." — p. 208

"As I watched my family sip champagne, I thought about how their lives trailed backward and forward from my death and then, I saw, as Samuel took the daring step of kissing Lindsey in a room full of family, became borne aloft away from it.
These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnified—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events that my death wrought were merely the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous body had been my life." — p. 257

message 46: by Lavan, moderator (new)

21. Dec. 4-12: Lu—Track #4 by Jason Reynolds —121 pp. (first-time read) ★★★☆☆
" 'This is my medal. I won this thing about twenty years ago, and it was like lightning struck me. I never felt so electric. It was the greatest day of my life, until Tyrone was born. But I lost this medal for a long time, and recently, lightning struck twice, a friend of mine, um ... yeah ... a friend of mine found it for me. And when he brought it to me, I realized something. I realized what I hope some of ya'll realized this year. When I lost this medal, I didn't really lose anything but a piece of gold. A symbol to remind me of my hard work. But I never needed to be reminded of that. When I got this medal back, it came with so much more. A different reminder. A reminder of the friends and family I made on that track putting in all that hard work. The help-ups, the cheers, the pushing, and pulling. Sharing the load. Finding a new kind of freedom. Being a better version of myself every day.' Then Coach dropped his head. 'But I'm not perfect.'
'Head up, Coach!' Ghost ordered. Coach picked it up. His eyes were watering.
'I'm, um ... I'm not perfect,' he repeated, now wiping away a tear. 'But none of us are. And what we learn is that if we push, if we aren't scared to be scared, if we're not terrified of being uncomfortable, if we can trust ourselves and be honest about where we fall short, where we miss the bar, and can accept a little help, which we all need sometimes, we can be ... good.' " — p. 114

message 47: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
Lavan wrote: " 'This is my medal. I won this thing about twenty years ago, and it was like lightning..."

I thought this part was a bit sappy, but I admit I cried a little. Overall, a good way to end the book (and the series).

message 48: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 14, 2018 01:56PM) (new)

Andrew wrote: "Lavan wrote: " 'This is my medal. I won this thing about twenty years ago, and it was like lightning..."

I thought this part was a bit sappy, but I admit I cried a little. Overall, a good way to e..."

It (Coach's "speech") touched me too. It was heartfelt and I think the way he handled Lu's and the team's decision at the end was great. What he said got through to them and would likely stay with them for the rest of their lives.

message 49: by Lavan, moderator (new)

22. Nov. 28-Dec. 17: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—Harry Potter #7 by J.K. Rowling —759 pp. (reread) ★★★★☆
"[Luna] held up her finger and said, 'Daddy, look—one of the gnomes actually bit me!'
'How wonderful! Gnome saliva is enormously beneficial!' said Mr. Lovegood, seizing Luna's outstretched finger and examining the bleeding puncture marks. 'Luna, my love, if you should feel any burgeoning talent today—perhaps an unexpected urge to sing opera or to declaim in Mermish—do not repress it! You may have been gifted by the Gernumblies!'
Ron, passing them in the opposite direction, let out a loud snort." — p. 140

"You gave Ron the Deluminator. You understood him. ... You gave him a way back. ...
And you understood Wormtail too. You knew there was a bit of regret there, somewhere. ...
And if you knew them ... What did you know about me, Dumbledore?
Am I meant to know, but not to seek? Did you know how hard I'd find that? Is that why you made it this difficult? So I'd have time to work that out?
" — p. 483

" 'Your brother knew how to finish You-Know-Who and he passed the knowledge on to me. I'm going to keep going until I succeed—or I die. Don't think I don't know how this might end. I've known it for years.' " — p. 568

" 'Karkaroff's Mark is becoming darker too. He is panicking, he fears retribution; you know how much help he gave the Ministry after the Dark Lord fell.' Snape looked sideways at Dumbledore's crooked-nosed profile. 'Karkaroff intends to flee if the Mark burns.'
'Does he?' said Dumbledore softly, as Fleur Delacour and Roger Davies came giggling in from the grounds. 'And are you tempted to join him?'
'No,' said Snape, his black eyes on Fleur's and Roger's retreating figures. 'I am not such a coward.'
'No,' agreed Dumbledore. 'You are a braver man by far than Igor Karkaroff. You know, I sometimes think we Sort too soon. ...'
He walked away, leaving Snape looking stricken. ... " — p. 680

" 'I had proven, as a very young man, that power was my weakness and my temptation. It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those that are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.' " — p. 718

" 'Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.' " — p. 722

"Somewhere in the distance they could hear Peeves zooming through the corridors singing a victory song of his own composition:

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!

'Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?' said Ron, pushing open a door to let Harry and Hermione through." — p. 746

message 50: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2018 09:55PM) (new)

23. Nov. 7-Dec. 22: Streets of Laredo—Lonesome Dove #2 by Larry McMurtry —491 pp. (first-time read) ★★★★☆
"There had been a time when Gus McCrae had wanted to abandon the Rangers and rush back east to fight Yankees, for he had gotten it in his head that Southern freedoms were being trampled, and that the two of them ought to go fight; this, despite the fact that they had more fighting than they could handle, right where they were.
Call himself had never caught the fervor of that War. The best man he had working with him at the time was black—Deets, later killed by a Shoshone boy, in Wyoming. He had known people who had owned slaves and mistreated them, and he would certainly have fought to keep Deets from being owned by any of the bad slaveholders; but he could not have fought with the North, against his region, and was content to stay where he was, doing what he was doing. No one in his right mind would have wanted fiercer fighting than the Comanche were capable of. Gus McCrae's problem was that he liked bugles and parades. He had even tried to persuade Call to hire a bugler for the Ranger troop.
'A bugler?' Call said. 'Half these men don't have decent saddles, and we're lucky if we have forty rounds of ammunition apiece. Why waste money on a bugler?'
'It might impress the Comanche. They've got some sense of show,' Gus retorted. 'That's your problem, Woodrow, or one of them. You've got no sense of show. Ain't you ever heard of esprit de corps?'
'No, what is it, and how much does it cost?' Call asked." — p. 181

« previous 1