Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4)
This topic is about Hello Stranger
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Kleypas, Lisa--Hello Stranger informal buddy read starts June 3, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Hello Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

Synopsis
Dr. Garrett Gibson, the only female physician in England, is as daring and independent as any man—why not take her pleasures like one? Yet she has never been tempted to embark on an affair, until now. Ethan Ransom, a former detective for Scotland Yard, is as gallant as he is secretive, a rumored assassin whose true loyalties are a mystery. For one exhilarating night, they give in to their potent attraction before becoming strangers again.

A man who breaks every rule

As a Ravenel by-blow spurned by his father, Ethan has little interest in polite society, yet he is captivated by the bold and beautiful Garrett. Despite their vow to resist each other after that sublime night, she is soon drawn into his most dangerous assignment yet. When the mission goes wrong, it will take all of Garrett's skill and courage to save him. As they face the menace of a treacherous government plot, Ethan is willing to take any risk for the love of the most extraordinary woman he's ever known. (

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 16, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Eldarwen | 10432 comments Mod
Book is ready to go just as soon as the previous book in series is read :-)

(Team Severus Snape for TT)

message 5: by Sally906 (last edited May 16, 2018 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sally906 | 1646 comments And I'm here too from Team Luna Lovegood - checked that I really did have it - and then went into meltdown as not in my kobo app - only to find it in my kindle - phew!!!

Annalisa | 1360 comments Hi, I'm joining from TT Severus Snape as well.

My copy of the book book just arrived at the library for me to pick up, so I'll be ready when those reading The Devil In Spring are ready.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Hello. I'm here, I knew there must have been a reason that I haven't read this yet... so I can join in the buddy read, of course! Team Luna Lovegood

Joanne I'd like to join in for this one. Team Draco Malfoy.

The more the merrier! :-D

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Here for Team Draco!

SandyL | 4446 comments I'm in - Team Newt Scamander

message 12: by Karishma (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm in! Team Tonks.

Is anyone reading the other books in the series first?

Annalisa | 1360 comments Karishma wrote: "I'm in! Team Tonks.

Is anyone reading the other books in the series first?"

There is a Thread for Devil in Spring. I think everyone has read all the other books already.

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Karishma wrote: "I'm in! Team Tonks.

Is anyone reading the other books in the series first?"

Karishma, I was going to start the series this week to hop into these BRs. You want to do a BR for Cold-Hearted Rake together?

I admit, I started early. I wanted a bit of fluff yesterday afternoon and this was just looking at me, begging to be picked up.

So I read the first chapter. Ah, I'm enjoying this combination already!! :-)

And the best thing? I flicked to the back of the book and noticed there was an excerpt for book #5!! :-D We're going to get West's story next! Expected publication in 2019.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I’m starting .... now!

Sally906 | 1646 comments I started it earlier this morning - but was already 3rd so all good.

She is so gutsy but still not so up herself that she isn’t willing to agree to more combat training.

Mmhh, true! I like it when strong characters who know their worth are still open to learning new things and accept criticism (if more or less grudgingly hehe).

Annalisa | 1360 comments I just finished the first chapter and it is going to be good. I wish I could read more today, but I've got a big project to finish up. Hope it goes quickly and I can get back to this soon.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Eldarwen wrote: "I admit, I started early. I wanted a bit of fluff yesterday afternoon and this was just looking at me, begging to be picked up.

So I read the first chapter. Ah, I'm enjoying this combination alrea..."

So happy to hear that, I can't wait for West's story!

message 21: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Eldarwen wrote: "I admit, I started early. I wanted a bit of fluff yesterday afternoon and this was just looking at me, begging to be picked up.

So I read the first chapter. Ah, I'm enjoying this ..."

Same! I love West!

SandyL | 4446 comments This was a great start to the book. I've enjoyed Garrett in the other books she made appearances in and I'm intrigued by Ethan Ransome. Did anyone catch a comment made by Gabriel St Vincent in Devil in Spring:
(view spoiler)

Sally906 | 1646 comments Yes, I picked up on that - I am guessing Ethan is a Ravenel by-blow. But who mummy and daddy is I can't guess - well I can - I think it might be Pandora's dad (the mum and dad fought a lot - about his affairs maybe - an illegitimate child as a result?)

I guess all will be revealed in due course.

Sally906 | 1646 comments I have discovered if you 'reply' the spoiler is revealed so not hidden anymore.

Make sure (and you guys may already know about this) that you delete the spoiler in the reply before you post.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I'm half way through Chapter 6.

Yes, (view spoiler)

Loving Garrett and Ethan together.

I'm up to chapter 8.

Devil in Spring(view spoiler)

Chapter 7
Now this is going to be interesting hehe. I foresee great drama! ;-)

Agreed, Garrett and Ethan are a very interesting combination.

I didn't get a lot of reading done today unfortunately but chapter 8 and the beginning of chapter 9 bring some interesting information, some intrigue and *drumroll* dramaaaaaa ;-)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Oh No! Just finished Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

I'm itching to click that spoiler, but I better not!! I'm at chapter 12 now.

Chapters 9-11 were (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Eldarwen wrote: "I'm itching to click that spoiler, but I better not!! I'm at chapter 12 now.

Chapters 9-11 were [spoilers removed]"

I think (view spoiler)

Finished, a thoroughly lovely read. LK does heroes so very well and Garrett was perfect for him. 4 stars.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Eldarwen wrote: "I'm itching to click that spoiler, but I better not!! I'm at chapter 12 now.

I think [spoilers removed]"

Hmmm, you're right. (view spoiler)

Sally906 | 1646 comments I’m only up to the start of chapter 10 - hubby back in hospital overnight so was able to read a bit last night as I had the WHOLE bed to myself got know reading done today

Is either a feast or a famine with my reading at the moment

Finished Chapter 13 (gosh, today really was a slow reading day..)

I like Ethan, a lot, but he sometimes makes me roll my eyes so hard, I fear they'll end up stuck at the back of my head.. (view spoiler)

Off to bed for me now to get some more pages read. I want to know how this all pans out!! :-)

SandyL | 4446 comments Eldarwen wrote: "I'm itching to click that spoiler, but I better not!! I'm at chapter 12 now.

I agree Eldarwen (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4446 comments Finished! I've loved all LK's books, but I think this is one of my favorite. There was a lot of excitement and intrigue and there was (view spoiler)

I'm really looking forward to West's book!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I'm still waiting for my library hold, fingers crossed it will come soon!

It's cliché and dramatic and so good! :-)

message 38: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Flying through book 3. Should be able to start this one soon.

End of chapter 15 and chapter 16

(view spoiler)

The second half of chapter 16

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments SandyL wrote: "This was a great start to the book. I've enjoyed Garrett in the other books she made appearances in and I'm intrigued by Ethan Ransome. Did anyone catch a comment made by Gabriel St Vincent in Devi..."

Now that you mention it I remember that scene! Great catch there.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Finished Chapter 13 (gosh, today really was a slow reading day..)

I like Ethan, a lot, but he sometimes makes me roll my eyes so hard, I fear they'll end up stuck at the back of my head.. [spoiler..."

I'm somewhere in chapter 100 and I want to smack Ethan to stop being a noble idiot lol!

Hahaha, right??

Just wait until you get to chapter 16 ;-)

Oh and in chapter 17, West's comment (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Urgggh I am so tempted to click the spoiler NOW but am at chapter 11 still. RL getting in the way of reading!

No clicking!!!!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Really looking forward to the next book (view spoiler)

Sally906 | 1646 comments Kathleen wrote: "Urgggh I am so tempted to click the spoiler NOW but am at chapter 11 still. RL getting in the way of reading!"
I’ve just started chapter 11

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments All these spoiler tags look like a shiny gold coin that's begging to be picked!

Annalisa | 1360 comments I agree I want to read the spoilers. I'm about a third of the way into the book. Ethan is a bit dramatic. I didn't get that at all from his appearances in other books. It makes me laugh though picturing him doing the silly things he does.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments How I wish my book was here!

Snowtulip wrote: "How I wish my book was here!"

Fingers crossed you'll get it soon!!

« previous 1