PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [Copy Cat Challenge] > June CopyCat Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jun 21, 2018 09:36PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Update: Pairings have been posted, see message #15 below
Update: Summary of books chosen, see message #44
---------------------------
Duration: June 1-30, 2018
Partner pairings announced: June 1 (announced in this thread)

For FULL details of how the copy cat challenge works, please visit the 'About Copy Cat Challenge' post here...

SUMMARY:
In this challenge, participants are paired up to choose and read a book from their partner's read shelf and compare how they each rated the book. It's a fun way to discover new books, to read from different genre(s), and to make PenPal connections. This challenge repeats monthly, and you sign-up separately for each month you wish to participate.

COMPLETING THE CHALLENGE
- Week 1: Review your paired partner's 'Read shelf' and choose a book(s) to read. Post to this thread to update your partner on the book chosen. (You can ask them for suggestions too!)
- Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
- Week 3-4: Complete your read, and post to the thread with final thoughts on the book and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

Participation = Post to thread (book choice), Read book, Post to thread (finished book thoughts)

NOTE:
- Please only sign-up if you are confident you have time to choose and read a book. If you are no longer able to participate after signing up, message a Mod or update this thread, so we can re-match, and no-one is left without a partner for the month!
- Remember to re-visit this thread on June 1 to see who you have been paired up with for the month (adding a calendar reminder helps!)

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments I would like to join!

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments I would like to participate!

message 4: by Marisela (new)

Marisela (mariselaa) | 8 comments Sign me up

message 5: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments I'm in!!!! 😀

message 6: by Norma (new)

Norma | 6 comments I would like to sign up

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Sign me up :)

message 8: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Please sign me up...

message 9: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) I'm in! :)

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Pecoraro (elizabethgabriella) | 11 comments Please, sign me up! thanks!

message 11: by Mihika (new)

Mihika Sawant | 15 comments I would like to join :)

message 12: by Kanu (new)

Kanu Agarwal | 4 comments i wanna join.

message 13: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments me please!

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) I'd like to join!

message 15: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Here are the pairings for June:
Kristina & Amber
Marisela & Taylor
Chloe & Norma
Missy & Anne
Mion & Kyle
Annie & Elizabeth
Mihika & Kanu

Each name above links to the individual’s profile page, where you will browse their ‘read shelf’ and choose your book to read. WELCOME to the members who are new to this challenge: Elizabeth, Kanu, Kyle, Mihika, Norma.

Completing the Challenge:
Week 1: Visit your paired partner’s profile page to browse their ‘Read’ Shelf and choose the book(s) you’d like to read. Post a comment in the thread to let your partner know what you’ll be reading.
Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
Week 3-4: When you finish your book, post a comment with your final thoughts, and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

**** If you can no longer participate for this month, please message me or update the thread as soon as possible, so we can arrange a re-match, and no one is left without a partner! ****

You can view FAQ's in the ‘About Copy Cat Challenge’ thread here…

Happy reading!

message 16: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Norma,

I really don't know what I want to read of yours!

I have IT by Stephen King on my shelf, but I wanted to save that till halloween ;) I like the look of The Roanoke Girls but I'm not sure..?

If all else fails I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix so that would count!

What would you recommend?

Chloe

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) Hi Marisela,

I couldn't find anything on your read list, but I saw that you have the "A Court of Thorns and Roses" series on your to-be-read list! You're missing the first book in the series, I don't know if that was on accident or on purpose, but that is going to be what I am choosing to read for this challenge!

message 18: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments Hi Anne!
I'm choosing My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
by Fredrik Backman. It's been on my list forever!!! 😀

message 19: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Missy wrote: "Hi Anne!
I'm choosing My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
by Fredrik Backman. It's been on my list forever!!! 😀"

Great choice! One cannot go wrong with a Backman book, he's a master storyteller, and I ADORE every book I've ever read of his. I loved the humor in this one, the fantasy element, and the way all the characters intertwined in ways you would not imagine. I hope it's a good read for you.

I found several books on your shelf that I've been wanting to read, but I've decided on Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe I'm a HUGE fan of the movie, I re-watch it almost every year, and yet I've never read the book. Very excited for this!

message 20: by Mihika (new)

Mihika Sawant | 15 comments Hi Kanu,

I am selecting Red Queen from your Read list. I have been meaning to read this for the longest time and it has been lying on my shelf as well.

Hope to have fun reading this and sharing my thoughts!!!

Thanks Anne for the warm welcome. Am excited!!!

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Pecoraro (elizabethgabriella) | 11 comments Hi Annie,
I will being reading 1984 by George Orwell. I'm very excited, and I can't wait to see what you choose from my list! 1984

message 22: by Norma (new)

Norma | 6 comments Chloe I really enjoyed Roanoke though it was dark. I have been wanting to read The Room for a while so I’m going to choose that one

message 23: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Hi Mion! You have a lot of interesting books on your 'read' list. But I think I'm going to read Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

I've always wanted to read the book since I've seen the Miyazaki movie so I look forward to reading this one!

message 24: by Kanu (last edited Jun 03, 2018 11:23PM) (new)

Kanu Agarwal | 4 comments Hi Mihika

I have selected And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie from your list.

Happy Reading everyone.

message 25: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Greetings, Kristina!

I haven't had a chance to really browse your shelves yet, but looking forward to doing so shortly :)

message 26: by Mihika (new)

Mihika Sawant | 15 comments Kanu wrote: "Hi Mihika

I have selected And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie from your list.

Happy Reading everyone."

Wow, its a awsum book, Kanu. I am sure you will enjoy it.

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Norma wrote: "Chloe I really enjoyed Roanoke though it was dark. I have been wanting to read The Room for a while so I’m going to choose that one"

Hi Norma,

I decided I'm going to give The Roanoke Girls a go! Luckily it was in my library and I managed a couple of pages this morning. I'm already not sure about it flicking from the past to present day each chapter, as it's not normally the style of writing I like to read, but I'm giving this book a good go at least.

Chloe

message 28: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Dear Amber,

I am excited to be your June copycat! I have looked through your shelves and I have picked the book The Hen Who Dreamed She could Fly . I have always loved chickens, but due to zoning laws and my husband I am not able to get a chicken. When I was little I did have two ducks so maybe that counts somewhat? This sound like a fun little story of a brave chicken and I am looking forward to reading it soon! I hope you are able to find a book you will enjoy.

Best,

Kristina

message 29: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Dear Kyle,

I hope you enjoy the book you chose, although I must warn you that it differed from the movie quite greatly. In my opinion, they are both good in their own way, but I enjoyed the movie more than the book. Then again, I love almost everything Miyazaki has been involved in.

From your shelves, I decided to read In the Miso Soup which I've been putting off for a long time because of the title. However, I'm a huge fan of Japanese literature (I even have a shelf dedicated to it!) and thus, it's definitely a must-read for me.

Happy reading!

Mion

message 30: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments I hope you enjoy, Mion! I loved In the Miso Soup! After I read that book I went and bought the rest of Murakami's books. The only one I'm missing is Almost Transparent Blue because it's on Amazon for I think like 40 bucks.

message 31: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Dear Kyle,

I just finished In the Miso Soup and I must say I have conflicted feelings about it. I enjoyed it more than Audition which I read a couple of years back, but the last part was somewhat needless for me. I also felt like there were some similarities with Natsuo Kirino's Out, at least in the beginning, so I'm giving it 4/5 rating. It was really hard to put it down, so I'm thinking of reading some more of his works this summer (provided I can get them!)

I'd like to read another book from your shelf. Is there anything you'd really recommend?

message 32: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Hi Missy,

I just finished Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and it was every bit of wonderful that I'd imagined it would be. I think the book and movie are each wonderful in their own right, and I'll continue to be happy to re-watch and re-read many times over :)

I'm soooo glad this book was on your shelf !

message 33: by Kyle (last edited Jun 06, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Hi Mion!

I highly recommendJaya and Rasa: A Love Story. It was an engaging and kinda sweet story. I wish Jaya and Rasa had more of an epilogue but I think it completed what it needed to do. I also recommend The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness if you like nonfiction. It talks about the intelligence of octopuses and tells the story of several different octopuses Sy interacted with. It’s not on my ‘Read’ shelf yet as I just finished it last night but I will be putting it up there!

Still reading through Howl’s Moving Castle and you’re right it is pretty different from the movie!

edited to add the links to the books I suggested.

message 34: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Hi Mion!

I finished Howl's Moving Castle. I liked it, you were right that it's a lot different from the movie. I did like that I could recognize some scenes that were taken out of the book and put into the movie but it was interesting to see what all was left out. I'm gonna pull some more from your shelf and do some more reading! Hopefully my library has some of them! I've always wanted to read The Little Prince

message 35: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hello Elizabeth!

After much debating, I will be reading Flowers for Algernon as it is a book that keeps popping up on my radar :)

Let me know how you find 1984.

Happy reading,

Annie

message 36: by Norma (new)

Norma | 6 comments Chloe that style does take some getting used to

message 37: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Norma,

I finished The Roanoke Girls last night, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a bit dark, but to be honest none of it was surprising me as I read through - I sort of picked up on the 'big secret' from the beginning.

I think it may have been one of the first non-young adult books I've enjoyed this much so I'm happy that I chose it.

How are you getting on with Room?

message 38: by Norma (new)

Norma | 6 comments Chloe, I'm so glasses you enjoyed it! I finished the room. I really thought I wasn't going to like it. I was wrong, I really enjoyed it. I'm so glad I gave it a try.

message 39: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Kristina wrote: "Dear Amber,

I am excited to be your June copycat! I have looked through your shelves and I have picked the book The Hen Who Dreamed She could Fly . I have always loved chickens, but due to zoning laws and my husband I am not able to get a chicken. When I was little I did have two ducks so maybe that counts somewhat? This sound like a fun little story of a brave chicken and I am looking forward to reading it soon! I hope you are able to find a book you will enjoy.

Best,

Kristina"

Definitely a brave chicken, hope you enjoy it! I am going to go with Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine... This has been sitting in my "To Reads" for quite awhile, so I guess now is a good time to get to it :)

message 40: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Marisela wrote: "Sign me up

Checking in that you're still planning to participate this month, Marisela?

message 41: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments Anne ✨ wrote: "Hi Missy,

I just finished Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and it was every bit of wonderful that I'd imagined it would be. I think the book and movie are each wonderful i..."

Im so glad you liked Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. I enjoyed the movie a little more but the book was still really good! 😀 Ifinished My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. It is so good! It makes me want to reread Britt-Marie Was Here. It was definitely a five star rating!

message 42: by Amber M. (last edited Jun 14, 2018 10:36PM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments

And... I loved it. Five stars from me, for Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine. She's one of those rare characters that I wish weren't fictional, because I would legitimately like to know them... And I always appreciate a story that isn't too tidied up at the end.

message 43: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Taylor wrote: "Hi Marisela,

I couldn't find anything on your read list, but I saw that you have the "A Court of Thorns and Roses" series on your to-be-read list! You're missing the first book in the series, I d..."

Taylor I'm sorry that Marisela hasn't responded for the challenge? I do hope that you're enjoying a Court of Thorns and Roses, that's on my TBR too!

ALL - If anyone else participating this month has finished their challenge book and would like to do another, check out Taylor's shelf :)

message 44: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Here's a look at the great assortment of books participants have chosen from paired partners shelves for the challenge this month! Happy reading copycats!

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel Room by Emma Donoghue My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg In the Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes 1984 by George Orwell Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Kristina - The Hen Who Dreamed She could Fly | Amber - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
Marisela - TBC | Taylor - A Court of Thorns and Roses | Kyle - Invisible Monsters
Chloe - The Roanoke Girls | Norma - Room
Missy - My Grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry | Anne - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe
Mion - In the Miso Soup | Kyle - Howl's Moving Castle
Annie - Flowers for Algernon | Elizabeth - 1984
Mihika - Red Queen | Kanu - And then there were none

message 45: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Hi Taylor! I’ll be your copycat!

I’ll read “Invisible Monsters” by Chuck Palanuik (I don’t think I spelled that right LOL I’m on mobile)

message 46: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Kyle wrote: "Hi Taylor! I’ll be your copycat!

I’ll read “Invisible Monsters” by Chuck Palahniuk (I don’t think I spelled that right LOL I’m on mobile)"

Oooh, that book sounds good! And from the author of Fight Club. Cool! Hope you enjoy, and glad you highlighted it, gotta add that to my TBR!

Thanks, Kyle!! It's really great to have you in the PenPal Readers group!

message 47: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Missy wrote: "I finished My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. It is so good! It makes me want to reread Britt-Marie Was Here. It was definitely a five star rating! ."

I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! And yes, oh my goodness, Britt-Marie was here was sooooo good. I was so surprised when I heard the book was about that character from the 'My Grandmother...' book, I thought really? But wow, Backman did such a brilliant job and made me just root for her and laugh and enjoy so much.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Pecoraro (elizabethgabriella) | 11 comments Annie wrote: "Hello Elizabeth!

After much debating, I will be reading Flowers for Algernon as it is a book that keeps popping up on my radar :)

Happy reading,

Annie"

Hi Annie,
I will be leaving for Peru on the 19th and I will be staying there until July 3rd. I have just been too busy with school and finals to read, and now that I'm done I have just been reading books about Peru in preparation for my trip. However, 1984 is not only on my summer reading list for school (so I HAVE to read it at some point this summer) but I still do want to read it. So, I just wanted to let you know that I won't be able to complete the challenge in June, but I will likely read 1984 before July is halfway through, and I would love to message you about the challenge then. Is that okay?

Thank you,
Elizabeth

message 49: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Annie wrote: "Hello Elizabeth!

Happy reading,

A..."

Since there are almost two weeks left in June, I can also read something from Annie's shelf if the need arises! (And Elizabeth, I'm totally envious of you right now. Enjoy Peru! )

message 50: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) Kyle wrote: "Hi Taylor! I’ll be your copycat!

I’ll read “Invisible Monsters” by Chuck Palanuik (I don’t think I spelled that right LOL I’m on mobile)"

I really enjoyed that book, though it's been awhile since I read it! I hope that you enjoy it, too!

« previous 1