Start by marking “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” as Want to Read:
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  19,339 Ratings  ·  3,260 Reviews
Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

Then everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy
Published May 9th 2017 by Viking - Pamela Dorman Books

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, please sign up.

Sue
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Suzie Schmidt Click on the book title. Scroll down to where it says, "My Activity" You will see the stars where you can rate it. A few lines below that you will see…moreClick on the book title. Scroll down to where it says, "My Activity" You will see the stars where you can rate it. A few lines below that you will see a line that says, "Add a review"

Good luck.(less)

Emily May
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, 2017
Eleanor Oliphant is completely 100% fine. She goes to her office job five days a week and then treats herself to a frozen pizza and a bottle of vodka on a weekend. She lives alone and doesn't have any friends, but that's okay. She's doing real well, thank you very much.

Except maybe she isn't.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine caught me completely unawares. I'll be honest - I picked it up because it got some buzz and the author is British, but it actually turned out to be one of those perfectl
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

ALL THE STARS !!!

I won an advanced copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you!

To be honest, I'm not sure if this book would have been on my radar if I hadn't won it. Although the great reviews may have pulled me in. At any rate, I am so happy I read it.

I LOVED THIS BOOK !!

Just like it says in the title of the book, Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine....well she thinks she is. She is honestly not worried that
Susanne Strong
5 Stars.
“Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine” but after finishing this novel, I am not.

I was completely unprepared for the life of Eleanor Oliphant and that of her ‘Mummy.” To be frank, I was ill-equipped to deal with it, much like Eleanor. And it wrecked me.

At thirty years-old, Eleanor Oliphant is alone in this world. She always has been, actually. In and out of foster care since she was a little girl, she has never been touched by anyone in a loving way and doesn’t even know what that would
Diane S ☔
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely fantastic character Eleanor is, a character that grew on me the more I read. She has had a scarred childhood, though we don't learn exactly what happened until later in the story, she wears the evidence on her face. She remembers little from that time only knows she was burned in a fire. Raised in a series of group homes, given an apartment by social services who still check on her though she is now thirty. She has few social skills, is very matter of fact, has no friends, few ...more
Pouting Always
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor Oliphant lives a fairly secluded life due to her lack of social graces and crippling self esteem and anxiety issues. She works at a graphic design firm in the finance department and spends the rest of her time at home, usually drinking. Her social life consists of a phone call with her mummy every week. Then one day she goes to a concert, for which she won tickets in a raffle, and falls in love at first sight with a musician. Eleanor decides to make some changes to herself as part of a p ...more
Larry H
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

I'll admit, when I started reading Gail Honeyman's debut novel, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine , I thought about issuing a moratorium on quirky characters who can't seem to pick up social cues or are oblivious to how people usually behave when interacting with peers, coworkers, those who provide service, and others. Obviously these are colorful characters to write about—it seems as if the literary world is full of them.

But the more time I spent with Eleanor Oliphant
Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

4.5 Stars

Eleanor Oliphant is lacking the social awareness that would have her filter her comments, or even consider for a moment that she needs to do so. She’s a unique individual with a unique view on the world and how it works – especially as it relates to people.

”Animals, birds and insects can provide such useful insights. If I’m ever unsure as to the correct course of action, I’ll think, ‘What would a ferret do?’ or ‘How would a salamander respond to this situation?’ Inva
Elyse
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Update.....I found a copy in my notes from last year ---

Here is the review I wrote right after I read it. I realize - almost a year later I can still remember so much about this story: ELEANOR is a terrific character ... and this book is great!!! Even GROWS on you!!!

Eleanor Oliphant, almost 30 years old, is one of those odd characters we think we may have seen before in our books --- lonely - awkward - lacking social skills. She doesn't have filters when it comes to saying what she's thinking. Y
Lindsay
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! Oh Eleanor, I desperately wanted to reach into this story and hug you (even though a hug would be extremely awkward for you) and welcome your quirky self into my life!

Eleanor’s journey took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Eleanor is obliviously socially awkward. She had me laughing out loud on one page and then holding back tears while breaking my heart on the next. Eleanor Oliphant is one of the most remarkable characters I have ever ‘met’! Eleanor’s inner thoughts (and ofte
Fran
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eleanor Oliphant is a thirty year old accounts receivable clerk who has a humdrum existence. She calls herself a self contained entity, eating lunch alone while doing crossword puzzles and spending every weekend alone with bottles of vodka. She feels freakish and ugly since she has scar tissue across her right cheek, a result of third degree burns suffered during childhood. She speaks to Mummy by phone every Wednesday. Eleanor lives with the only item to have survived her childhood, her parrot p ...more
Debbie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I dare you not to think Elephant when you hear this title. This writer is so clever! We've got the first part of elephant at the beginning of her first name, and the rest of the elephant in the last name. No, of course this book is not about elephants, but the writer sometimes plays with words--and that alone is a selling point for me. Maybe it's sort of like subliminal advertising, except the author isn't trying to sell us elephants. Eleanor Oliphant. Elephant elephant elephant!

I can get all an
Annet
Eleanor Oliphant has learned how to survive - but not how to live...
Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything...

This is a sad and at the same time, strangely enough a fun story. I read a quote on the cover "A story about the very worst and very best that humans are capable of... Funny, brave and utterly devastating". That about sums it up. It's a pretty tragic story about Eleanor Oliphant, a lonely peculiar lady with a severel
Brenda
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I saw the title Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine it intrigued me right away and had me asking myself is she really fine. I have learned when people say they are fine they usually are not. So when I found this one on the fast read shelf at the library I grabbed it and started reading it right away to find out why Eleanor Oliphant was not completely fine.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is a brilliant, witty, uplifting and hopefull story that explores the deep unspoken sadness caused b
Carol
Wish-It-Wasn't-Over!

ELEANOR OLIPHANT IS COMPLETELY FINE...YEP!...and this FINE DEBUT is going on my favorites shelf for 2017!

There are many...many laughs to be had here...but there is also evil doing.. As you come to know Eleanor and her tedious, but entertaining routines of the day, you will methodically find out about her haunted past, love for vodka AND her forthright personality....to tell it like it is....no matter what the situation!

Without giving anything away, I'll just say that Eleano

Margitte
There was a big green poof, a giant beanie frog on the floor since time immemorial. A charity furniture donation when she moved in. She drew a Musca domestica on his tongue with a pilfered Sharpie. Hungry. Froggie was always hungry...

Froggie and two pints of Vodka every Friday after work, were her only flatmates. Polly, the Australian parrot-plant her only friend since forever. All through the good, bad and better days, Froggie knew it all. Eleanor did not. She could not remember. The scars were
Linda
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
"Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine," and so is this wonderfully written debut novel by author Gail Honeyman.

Off and on, while reading this book, my mind would go back to my younger years and hear the lyrics from The Beatles famous song "Eleanor Rigby":

"All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?"

Eleanor doesn't dwell on being lonely, however. I don't think she realizes she has a reason to be lonely. She finds comfort in her everyday routine.
Karen
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5.
Oh, Eleanor Oliphant is quite the character! Eleanor is 30, single, and troubled by her abusive past, her way of speaking is very blunt. Eleanor lives a solitary life..she likes crossword puzzles and vodka!
You can't help but fall for her and root for her to find happiness. I can't say much more, I don't want to give anything away about the story.
I definitely recommend this book!
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Eleanor Oliphant..I love you.

Eleanor lives a pretty solitary life. She really doesn't understand people. She spends most of her time alone in her apartment, reading interesting books and having her Wednesday afternoon phone calls with "Mummy."

She is fine with that. Along with her little treat.
Vodka is, for me, merely a household necessity, like a loaf of bread or a packet of tea.

One day she sees the man that is going to change her life and starts changing things in order to be ready when he re
Dem
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audible, 5-star
I think this book's title should be changed to
Eleanor Oliphant is a hard act to follow.

Because I for one am having a difficult time parting company with Eleanor.

I loved Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and her quirky ways, humorous, sometimes dark and heartbreaking but an all round wonderful page turner that I did not want to end. I loved the authors use of empathy and humor. Something about this book reminded me of Me Before You another wonderful novel which I would have passed by witho
Julie
No. No. No. No. No. No.

All apologies to my lovely Goodreads friends who have liked (or loved) this book, but it's not for me.

And it's sad. . . because I wanted it, I waited for it, and I was finally able to start it. It's Mother's Day, and my family handed me bath salts and my new book and told me to go for it. They know I'm just crazy enough to read an entire book in one bath, and I was ready to do it.

And I prepared my bath, and I began reading, and I was (very quickly) almost in physical pain
Diane Barnes
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I began this book and thought, Great, another quirky, smart, funny heroine.
A few chapters later I'm realizing there's more to it than that.
Another few chapters I can see that Eleanor has been horribly damaged by a difficult childhood.
By the end of the novel, Eleanor Oliphant has become one of the bravest women I've ever met between the pages of a book.

Her story is revealed slowly, and is accompanied by a sense of horror on the part of the reader, when you realize what she has endured and how she
Liz
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor makes a great pretense of being fine. She manages her days with the help of vodka and by not engaging with others. Then, a chance event with a co-worker helping a man that has fallen in the street leads to the beginning of social engagement. At the same time, she thinks she has found the love of her life; a good looking rock musician that she doesn't actually know.

This books reads like a mystery. I kept turning pages to see how things would evolve. And to find out what about her past ha
Norma
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ELEANOR OLIPHANT IS COMPLETELY FINE by GAIL HONEYMAN is an absolutely brilliant, witty, inspiring, charming, unforgettable, and an impressive debut novel that was an uplifting listen which was performed brilliantly by Cathleen McCarron.  I was totally engrossed and savouring every moment while I was listening to this book. I didn’t want this story to end!

I absolutely loved Eleanor and her quirky character!  She had me laughing out loud at times and feeling for her so much at others.  I wanted to
Carolyn
This is an absolutely delightful book to read. Very accomplished for a debut novel with such a charming main character. Eleanor Oliphant is an unusual character, lonely and isolated due to a loveless upbringing. Taken from her sociopathic mother after a traumatic event and placed in foster homes and then an orphanage, Eleanor has never learnt how to interact and relate to others. With ugly scarring on her face she has always felt the need to hide herself and not be seen. At 21 she landed a job i ...more
DeB MaRtEnS
FIVE STARS. I had the great fortune to win this novel in a Goodreads Giveaway. Publication date is May 9, 2017. You will want to read it! Eleanor Oliphant is unusual. Upon meeting her, one realizes that something is genuinely out of whack with this overly regimented, solitary thirty year old woman who has apparently been content living an invisible life in Scottish social housing, working at a poor paying accounting job for eight years.

"Mummy has always told me that I am ugly, freakish, vile. S
Phrynne
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
At first I was not sure about this book. Eleanor was so odd and so abrasive and I could not imagine where it was going to lead. The author however could imagine and she did it so well. As the novel progressed I grew to understand and to like Eleanor more and more and eventually I wanted to invite her round to my house for some biscuits and tea.
Due to her terrible child hood Eleanor lacks social skills and an understanding of popular culture. She is aware she is different from the norm and withdr
Cathrine ☯️
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description
Oh dear, whilst chuckling through some of Eleanor’s thoughts and observations about people I was just a bit horrified to recognize a bit of myself between the lines. I have most certainly indulged in cultural anthropological musings toward others—but of course not quite like Eleanor’s, oh no. Mine must be considered rather insignificant comparatively speaking—merely harmless ascertainment on character and such and I shan't bore you with details 🙄.
Eleanor uses words like sagaciously and mictura
Kendall
I feel like this book is a bit difficult for me to review.

I'm wondering if I would have enjoyed this book more if I wasn't a social worker? I realized that unfortunately I just can't read books about child welfare system anymore since I'm so experienced with this stuff.

I found my attention span wavering in and out due to the nature of the story. But, I can definitely see how others would rate this so highly. I am glad that I was able to experience something by Gail Honeyman!
Esil
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
An enthusiastic four stars! Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is very much my kind of book. It reminds me of some of my recent favourites focusing on quirky characters trying to find a place for themselves in the world. Eleanor is 30 years old, lives on her own, works as a bookkeeper, has a very single minded view of the world, tells it like it is, doesn't always understand why other people don't see things the same way, regularly drinks too much vodka to dull the ache, is beyond lonely, and h ...more
PattyMacDotComma
3.5-4★
Poignant, yet funny, Eleanor Oliphant’s story will touch many readers. Raised in many foster homes, she remembers “at each new school, I’d tried so hard, but something about me just didn’t fit. There was, it seemed, no Eleanor-shaped social hole for me to slot into.”

A good student, she never saw the point of school sports days.

”How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day! As if a silver in the egg-and-spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how
Gail Honeyman wrote her debut novel, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, while working a full-time job, and it was shortlisted for the Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize as a work in progress. She has also been awarded the Scottish Book Trust's Next Chapter Award 2014, was longlisted for BBC Radio 4's Opening Lines, and was shortlisted for the Bridport Prize. She lives in Glasgow.
More about Gail Honeyman...

“A philosophical question: if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? And if a woman who's wholly alone occasionally talks to a pot plant, is she certifiable? I think that it is perfectly normal to talk to oneself occasionally. It's not as though I'm expecting a reply. I'm fully aware that Polly is a houseplant.” 35 likes
“I simply didn't know how to make things better. I could not solve the puzzle of me.” 21 likes