The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > The Poll is Open - June 2018 Group Read - R Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill So it's already May 1st. We've two group reads just started in an interesting category thought up by Nancy. Both books look excellent.

It's also time to put your thinking caps on and see what you might like to read in June. The category for the June Group Reads will be authors whose last name starts with R.

As always, please follow the simple rules below when making your nominations.

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

One final thing. The two books below have already been read in this group in the last 3 or 4 years, so please don't nominate the specific books You can still select a book from the particular author is you wish.

Ian Rankin - Knots and Crosses
Kathy Reichs - Bones Never Lie

I look forward to seeing your nominations. I'll leave the nominations open until we get a nice list to vote on.

message 2: by Bill (last edited May 09, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

Bill I'll list the nominations here -

1. One Across, Two Down by Ruth Rendell nominated by Connie
2. Box 21 by Anders Roslund nominated by Gisela
3. Lie In Wait by Eric Rickstad nominated by Bill
4. Before the Poison by Peter Robinson nominated by Nancy
5. Instruments of Darkness by Imogen Robertson nominated by Peter
6. The Rhetoric of Death by Judith Rock (nominated by Susanna
7. Suspect by Michael Robotham nominated by NancyJ
8. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón nominated by Suzy.
9, The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman nominated by Tom

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 37 comments One Across, Two Down by Ruth Rendell

message 4: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments Box 21 by Anders Roslund

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Connie wrote: "One Across, Two Down by Ruth Rendell"

One Across, Two Down by Ruth Rendell

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill I'll nominate the first book in the Canaan Crime series; Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1) by Eric Rickstad Lie In Wait by Eric Rickstad, one I've been looking forward to trying.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9320 comments Mod
I was going to suggest Ruth Rendell (although not that book), but since she's taken I'll go for Before the Poison by Peter Robinson. It's a standalone, not part of the Alan Banks series.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Gisela wrote: "Box 21 by Anders Roslund"

I love that book.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "I was going to suggest Ruth Rendell (although not that book), but since she's taken I'll go for Before the Poison by Peter Robinson. It's a standalone, not part of the Alan Banks se..."

This sounds wonderful.

message 10: by Peter (catching up) (last edited May 03, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Peter (catching up) (peterdonnelly) | 334 comments There are quite a number of great choices, and I was nearly going to go for Craig Russell but I'd like to nominate Imogen Robertson Instruments of Darkness to add a historical crime thriller option.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments That's on my TBR list, and I have one, but I am going to hold off a bit.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I second Ruth Rendell, and I thought about Mary Renault. But, in the end, I want to nominate one of my favorite science fiction authors: Kim Stanley Robinson.

Now, how do I pick which one to read???? One I want to read or one that I know is great for the rest of you?

So I decided to nominate one of his greatest works: Red Mars

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am thinking of nominating one by Nora Roberts.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I can honestly say that I have never read a book by Nora Roberts in my entire life.

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I bought it after I watched a move, and I liked the movie. I am not familiar with her, either.

message 16: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36365 comments Skye wrote: "I bought it after I watched a move, and I liked the movie. I am not familiar with her, either."

I like the ones she writes as J. D. Robb.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Believe it or not, someone gave me the entire collection, and I never once read a page.

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill Kirsten wrote: "I second Ruth Rendell, and I thought about Mary Renault. But, in the end, I want to nominate one of my favorite science fiction authors: Kim Stanley Robinson.

Now, how do I pick whic..."

I don't know if it really fits in the Crime genre does it?

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13846 comments Gisela wrote: "Box 21 by Anders Roslund"

This is an exciting nom.

message 20: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Michael Robotham books that also look great.

I admit that I have a bias against prolific authors like James Patterson (he's too formulaic, and he has an assembly line of authors working for him).

I'm wondering if people are hesitating to nominate a book by Nora Roberts/JD Robb for a similar reason. (She's TOO popular?) I have an author relative who loves her and says she's a best selling author for the best reasons. Skye, why don't you go ahead and nominate the book you liked? Was it Northern Lights?

Peter (catching up) (peterdonnelly) | 334 comments I was very close to nominating Craig Russell - Lennox. That book is rated very highly on Amazon and only 99p.

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

NancyJ wrote: "I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Michael Robotham ..."

Ratings are highly, highlysubjective, so I never use them as any sort of criteria for reading.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Jan C wrote: "Skye wrote: "I bought it after I watched a move, and I liked the movie. I am not familiar with her, either."

I like the ones she writes as J. D. Robb."

Me too!! In fact, I don't like her books she writes as Nora Roberts but her JD Robb series is my favorite!

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Nancy wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Mi..."

I don't pay attention to ratings, reviews are better to read through for me.

message 25: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote:

her JD Robb series is my favorite!
.."

Great, do you want to nominate one?

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I previously nominated something. But if you want to read a JD Robb book and haven't read them before, you HAVE to start at the beginning... Naked in Death

message 27: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited May 05, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments Nora Roberts? No, that wouldn't fit the mystery requirement. J.D. Robb? Yes.

ETA: Agree with Kirsten; you have to start with the first "In Death" mystery (Naked in Death), if you're going to read them.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments I'm going to nominate Judith Rock's The Rhetoric of Death.

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Susanna - that looks interesting!

message 30: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36365 comments Kirsten wrote: "Jan C wrote: "Skye wrote: "I bought it after I watched a move, and I liked the movie. I am not familiar with her, either."

I like the ones she writes as J. D. Robb."

Me too!! In fact, I don't lik..."

I would NEVER pick up a Nora Roberts book but enjoy the Robbs.

message 31: by NancyJ (last edited May 05, 2018 10:01PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I've been searching for a good psychological suspense book, and this one seems to fit the bill. The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham.

I really wanted to pick Shatter, but it's third in the series, so the alternative is Suspect.

EDIT: I nominate Suspect by Michael Robotham. This is the first in the Joe OLoughlin series about a psychologist (with Parkinsons) who works with the police to solve crimes. This book shows how it got started.

message 32: by Skye (last edited May 06, 2018 05:44AM) (new)

Skye | 2105 comments NancyJ wrote: "I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Michael Robotham ..."

It is Northern Lights, but I like liked the one you mentioned: The Suspect; I'm uncertain if The Secrets She Keeps would be in the B and N, Marketplace or not.

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Suspect would fit the ticket for me.

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1483 comments If you do J. D. Robb it has to be the beginning of the series for those of us who hasn't read her.

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Skye wrote: "Suspect would fit the ticket for me."

OK I nominated Suspect instead of the newer book by Robotham.

message 36: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon | 254 comments Can we have two nominations for the same author?

If we are reading Ruth Rendell I'd prefer A Judgement in Stone please

message 37: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 37 comments NancyJ wrote: "I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Michael Robotham ..."

Please remove my nomination for the Ruth Rendell book. I didn't realize that we needed to nominate 5 star rated books.

message 38: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Connie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Mi..."

You DO NOT need to nominate 5-star rated books. That was my point about not using ratings for nominations. If you want that book on the poll, it stays on the poll. You got in first.

message 39: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments NancyJ wrote: "Skye wrote: "Suspect would fit the ticket for me."

OK I nominated Suspect instead of the newer book by Robotham."

:)

I second this nomination.

message 40: by Bill (new)

Bill Connie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I know ratings aren't everything, but so far the books we have listed are in the 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 range. Can we do better? Most JD Robb books have much higher ratings. There are some Mi..."

Exactly what Nancy said. Nominate books that interest you not because of the rating. If the rest don't want to read it, they don't have to vote on it.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill NancyJ wrote: "I've been searching for a good psychological suspense book, and this one seems to fit the bill. The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham.

I really wanted to pick Shatter, but it'..."

I changed your nomination... I'm getting confused...

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Absolutely! Rankings don't always tell the whole story. After all, books that have yet to be published seem to have rankings - go figure!

I nominated the book I did because I thought I wanted others to read it. No other reason necessary.

message 43: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Bill wrote: " Exactly what Nancy said. Nominate books that interest you not because of the rating. If the rest don't want to read it, they don't have to vote on it.
.."

I agree, ratings are just one small piece of information. I didn't mean to criticize books I haven't read!

message 44: by Bill (new)

Bill NancyJ wrote: "Bill wrote: " Exactly what Nancy said. Nominate books that interest you not because of the rating. If the rest don't want to read it, they don't have to vote on it.
.."

I agree, ratings are just ..."

No problem.. :)

message 45: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon | 254 comments Carolyn wrote: "Can we have two nominations for the same author?

If we are reading Ruth Rendell I'd prefer A Judgement in Stone please"

I'm assuming my nomination doesn't count since it hasn't been added to the list? I don't mind, but just checking it hasn't been overlooked.

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill Carolyn wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "Can we have two nominations for the same author?

If we are reading Ruth Rendell I'd prefer A Judgement in Stone please"

I'm assuming my nomination doe..."

I should have responded before, Carolyn. I'd rather limit it to one nomination per author. Can you nominate something else?

message 47: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments Nancy wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Box 21 by Anders Roslund"

I love that book."

I'm sure I have it on my to-read list from one of your recommendations :)

message 48: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited May 08, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Gisela wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Box 21 by Anders Roslund"

I love that book."
I'm sure I have it on my to-read list from one of your recommendations :)"

Roslund and Hellstrom do crime well.

message 49: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments I'll nominate The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (listed in the R's on Stop You're Killing Me). Been meaning to read this for a while, as well as J.D. Robb and Ruth Rendel!

message 50: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments Nancy wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Box 21 by Anders Roslund"

I love that book."
I'm sure I have it on my to-read list from one of your recommendations :)"

Roslund and Hell..."

I've read two of their books. Quite hard hitting, but really good reads.

« previous 1