Start by marking “Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)

Suspect

(Joseph O'Loughlin #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  8,273 Ratings  ·  835 Reviews
The hunter becomes the hunted when an expert consultant in a baffling murder case becomes the prime suspect in Michael Robotham's stunning debut thriller.

At forty-two, psychiatrist Joe O'Loughlin seems to have it all: a thriving practice, a beautiful wife, an adoring daughter. But Joe's snug, happy world is crumbling. Recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, he's dread
Published December 27th 2005 by Vintage Books/ A Division of Random House, Inc. (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Suspect, please sign up.
Twyla Is it a difference between unabridged and abridged? I really have to watch the audiobooks to make sure I do not get the abridged version which has…moreIs it a difference between unabridged and abridged? I really have to watch the audiobooks to make sure I do not get the abridged version which has been greatly shortened.(less)

Christine
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-of-series
4 .5 stars

I’ve had Michael Robotham’s Suspect, book #1 of the Joseph O’Loughlin series, on my radar for a couple of years and finally decided to give it a go. Two thumbs up!

Suspect gets off to a banging start and kept me glued to the pages throughout. The story is told in first person narrative from O’Loughlin’s point of view. Since he is a psychologist, we get considerable psychological insight, not only into Joe’s head, but also in his take on some of his patients, particularly the enigmatic
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am going to rate this 4.5 stars, only because it was a little slow in the beginning. I was at about 30% then the action started and it was a rollercoaster ride. This is the first book in the Joseph O'Loughlin Series. I will surely be reading more of his books. This book was so hard to put down. I am serious. I recommend this to all thriller lovers.

London psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is a family man who has just received some devastating news about his health. Joe is at a meeting providing couns
Brenda
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Robotham has a new fan! This was a very satisfying read!

Joe O'Laughlin is married, has an 8 year old daughter, is a psychologist, and was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Joe gets involved in the investigation of the murder of a hooker, but eventually DI Vincent Ruiz comes to think of Joe as a suspect. Well, THE suspect.

I really enjoy books centered on an ordinary guy getting himself into extraordinary circumstances. Joe doesn't always do the right thing and he makes a fair n
PattyMacDotComma
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery fans!
“it’s strange the things that occur to you at times like this. I suddenly remember a line my father used to quote to me whenever I was in trouble: ‘Don’t say anything unless you can improve on the silence.’

And he was in trouble. Joe O’Loughlin is a psychologist who keeps trying to explain to the police why he’s been turning up in the wrong place at the wrong time. And why people who have an association with him are turning up dead.

Detective Inspector Ruiz is considering Joe as ‘the suspect’ i
Zoeytron
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zoeytron by: David Staniforth
Shelves: public-library
Someone is playing head games with psychologist Joe O'Loughlin. The doctor doesn't like easy answers, he thinks they are usually wrong. He's right. Known for his keen powers of perception, Joe is called on to consult on a murder investigation. As the spectre of his recently diagnosed Parkinson's Disease begins its insidious control of his body, his mind works overtime as he finds himself with closer ties to the killing than he ever imagined.
Liz
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio

This one just never caught my interest.

Suspect is the first book in the Joe O’Loughlin series. Joe is a psychologist, called in to consult on a brutal murder. But the victim, initially thought to be a prostitute, is identified as a nurse that Joe knew from his time in Liverpool years earlier. It doesn’t take long before he is considered a suspect. Joe has also recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s at the age of 42.

I had trouble identifying with Joe. Some of his decisions seem poorly made and
Maureen DeLuca
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4 1/2 star read- but because this was a new author - and and author that I found out about from a wonderful Aussie Group I just had to bring it up to a 5 star read! Suspect is the first in the Joseph O'Loughlin series-and it was a good one for sure. The book was a bit long , and perhaps it could have been trimmed down just a bit- but at no time was I 'rolling my eyes' or getting impatient where I just skimmed thru it to get to the next chapter.

Joseph O'Loughlin - a psychologist is someo
Lisa
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
4.5 stars I came across this series a few years ago with Say You're Sorry which I absolutely loved & immediately put him on my radar. then read a few more that's when I knew I had to go back to the beginning, having said that I think for me this started out a bit slow picked up at about 35% there was a lot of dialogue that I found wasn't needed but other than that I liked this one.

Suspect gets off to a cracking start when Psychologist Joe Oloughlin a family man hears the news that he has Par
David Staniforth
Some time back I read a more recent book of this series Watching You, not taking note of it being part of a serialization. The book worked perfectly well as a stand alone, and I loved it. More recently, I read, Life or Death and loved that too. Therein, I decided to go right to the beginning and read Robotham’s first book. Guess what? I loved it.

Some reviews mention that the main character's actions are implausible and that he isn’t a very likeable person, and that may be true on both counts. My
Sharon
Psychologist Joseph O'Loughlin and wife, Julianne are happily married and have a young daughter named Charlie. Life had been going along really well for the family until, Joe is diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Joe does as much research as he can on the disease, but not wanting to tell anyone about it until he can come to terms with it himself.

The body of a young woman is found with stab wounds and at first it is thought she is a prostitute. Joe is asked to help find out who the victim is an
Brenda
Psychologist Joseph O’Loughlin feels like his perfect life is unravelling faster than the clock is ticking. His friend Jock, a doctor, has just diagnosed him as having Parkinson’s Disease, and Joe is shattered. He closes in on himself, not talking to his wife, Julianne, making her unsure about him, and what is happening. His beautiful daughter, 8 year old Charlie, senses something is wrong…

When a young woman is found with multiple stab wounds that appear to be self-inflicted, Joe is horrified to
Phrynne
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and it will certainly not be my last. The story was gripping from the first page to the last. In fact even when it appeared to be finished the author came up with one last totally unexpected plot twist. The book was well written and the characters were honestly portrayed with all their bad as well as good characteristics. There were no heroes, just normal people struggling with abnormal situations. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to the next book in ...more
Janet
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a couple of friends here on GR to thank for highly recommending and encouraging me to read this series. Namely Brenda and David ...... so thanks guys!!

Joe O'Loughlin is a happily married psychologist with an 8 year old daughter. Things generally are going well for him until he receives the devastating news that he has Parkinson's Disease. It's a massive blow that throws him completely off balance. The mutiliated body of a nurse has been discovered and O'Loughlin is asked to consult by DI
Carolyn
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, crime
Over the years I've read most of Michael Robotham's Joe O'Loughlin series (in somewhat random order as they were uncovered in second hand bookshops) but I don't think I've ever read this first in the series before. It was interesting to go back and see where it all started, where Ruiz and Joe first meet and Joe first becomes involved in solving crime cases. However, in this first novel Joe is very much a suspect himself as a former patient is murdered and some of the evidence points towards him. ...more
Emma
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
Excellent! Another great series (found by you lot years ago, no doubt!) and by Michael Robotham no less. I couldn’t put Life or Death down either, so there’s something about his writing.
This was set in the UK and the main character is a psychologist. We are taken on a twisty journey threatening to throw his entire life and everything he holds dear down the pan. I was amazed to discover this author isnt himself a Brit, as London is really well written about.
I will definitely be continuing with th
Tim
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Filled with...boredom. 1 of 10 yawns.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It's very hard to like a book when you hate the main character. Joseph O’Loughlin is a shining example of everything I despise. He is self-centered, whiny, deceitful, unprofessional and weak. In short, he’s a lying, cheating bastard.

Postmodern fiction is full of antiheroes, but most of them have one redeeming quality you can hold on to. Joe has none. Robotham stripped him of anything a reader could like. The only thing left is the fact that he has Parkinson’s desease. I’m ashamed to admit there
Kylie
London psychiatrist Joseph O'Loughlin seems to have the perfect life. He has a beautiful wife, an adoring daughter, and a thriving practice to which he brings great skill and compassion. But he's also facing a future dimmed by Parkinson's disease. And when he's called in on a gruesome murder investigation, he discovers that the victim is someone he once knew. Unable to tell the police what he knows, O'Loughlin tells one small lie which turns out to be the biggest mistake of his life. Suddenly, h ...more
João Carlos

Michael Robotham (n. 1960)

(view spoiler)
Mary
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

This is the first book in the Joe O'Loughlin series,and as such,introduces us to the man,his family,home life and friends.

A clinical psychologist who receives a devastating health diagnosis,Joe is very much portrayed as an 'everyday' guy,one whose human frailties have seen him make mistakes and,as a result,finds himself and his immediate family paying the ultimate price.

This was an intriguing read,centred on a certain Bobby Moran and his impulsive actions,lapsed memories and a scar
Krystal
I was going to give this 3 stars, but I think that's just being far too generous.

The blurb starts by saying our protagonist, Joseph O'Loughlin, seems to have the perfect life. Then a body turns up and everything starts to get complicated.

The book is divided into three parts, and the first part is boooooorrrrring. It talks about the 'perfect life' and is incredibly dull. I mean, the body turns up pretty much straight away but then we hear all about Joe's daily routine and his perfect wife and pe
Alex Cantone
I kept my distance, scared of what might happen. I have let my own state of mind absorb me. I was so worried about rocking the boat, I failed to spot the iceberg.

Professor Joseph O’Loughlin is a London-based clinical psychologist in a flourishing practice, with a beautiful wife and an eight year old daughter, Charlie. Now in his early forties he has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s and struggles to cope with a body that seems a stranger to him, finding solace in a one-night fling with a former pr
Sarah Monreau
Für mich war dieses Buch nett erzählt, aber sicher kein Psychothriller. Schon gar kein Thriller in irgendeiner Form. Es war weder enorm spannend noch sonst wie actionreich, im Grunde genommen müsste man das Genre hier als psychologischen Roman betiteln. Denn ja, mit Psychologie hatte es mehr oder minder viel zu tun, mit einem Thriller aber nicht, höchstens mit einem Krimi. Es war somit eher enttäuschend, da ich hier ewig darauf wartete, dass es endlich spannend wird, was nicht passiert war. Es g ...more
Lee
The ninth book in the Joseph O’Loughlin series is currently out and proving very popular on my Goodreads dash, so I decided to test the waters, so to speak, and read the first book.

Did I enjoy it and will I continue with the series? Yes and yes! Two big fat definite yeses!

The plot is complicated but believable. A woman is brutally murdered and dumped in a canal not far from where psychologist Professor Joe O’Loughlin and his family lives. When showing a photo to a group of prostitutes in a bid
David R. Dowdy
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
This was my second reading of Suspect. Two observations: While I didn't remember many specific events from the first reading, I did remember the curious mood the book put me in; This is a well-written first novel that held my attention for the second reading.

I won't go into too many details, but I can tell you the hook, a protagonist's entrapment by a sinister cop, and the thrilling conclusion met all the requirements of a good mystery. Robotham's red herrings and misdirection were effective and
aPriL does feral sometimes
‘Suspect' is the best mystery I have read this year!

Professor Joseph O'Loughlin, a private psychologist, is having a busy December. First, he finally went to see his best friend, Dr. Emlyn 'Jock' Robert Owen, because of certain physical symptoms he has been experiencing. The results of the test are expected any day - but he is already feeling dread because he suspects what the answer will be. Then, fighting off his own sense of hopeless helplessness, he finds himself on the pitched roof of the
Gary
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Having read his latest novel which I really enjoyed, I decided to read the series from the start with 'Suspect'. I did enjoy it but I didn't think that it was up to the same standard as his recent novel.
I found the plot a little bit predictable but the novel does succeed in setting the foundations for a very good series of books.
Donna
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Kim Ebner
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great page turner. This was my first read by this author and I'm happy to say that I'll definitely be buying the next book in the series. Lots of action, characters to love and hate and a good plot. All together a very good read. Definitely recommended.
Rob
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. This might be a cliche but this book is a page turner that I just couldn't put down. The main character is Joe O'Loughlin a Psychologist who is asked by the police to help with a recent murder case. Much against his better judgement he decides to help but is shocked when he finds out that he knows the victim. As Joe gets pulled further and further into the case he becomes the prime suspect. The police are convinced that Joe is the killer and don't throw their net any furth ...more
  • Das Wesen
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • Precious Blood
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street, #1)
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Schnitt
  • The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Mordsfreunde (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #2)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • A Dark Redemption (Carrigan and Miller, #1)
  • Fear Itself
Edgar finalist and Gold Dagger winning author, Michael Robotham was born in Australia in November 1960 and grew up in small country towns that had more dogs than people and more flies than dogs. He escaped in 1979 and became a cadet journalist on an afternoon newspaper in Sydney.

For the next fourteen years he worked for newspapers in Australia, Europe, Africa and America. As a senior feature write

Joseph O'Loughlin (9 books)
  • Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2)
  • Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3)
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • The Wreckage (Joseph O'Loughlin, #5)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • Close Your Eyes (Joseph O'Loughlin, #8)
  • The Other Wife (Joseph O'Loughlin, #9)
“Remember, the worst hour of your life only lasts for sixty minutes. (292)” 34 likes
“Truth is a matter of semantics, whether we like it or not.” 9 likes