Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #2 - Getting to Know You

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Some members have been around for years (yay!) while others are just joining. So it's always good to have a check-in here and there to be sure we're getting to know each other and really creating a sense of community within our group.

1. How long have you been with the group?
2. Are you reading in or out of order?
3. Where are you from?
4. Favorite author
5. Question for the person after you! For the first post: What is one thing you can't live without?

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? I joined for the 2017 challenge.
2. Are you reading in or out of order? Would love to read in order, but that has not happened.
3. Where are you from? Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4. Favorite author Jasper Fforde
5. Question for the person after you! For the first post: What is one thing you can't live without? Other than a book? Earrings. I feel naked without them.

Next question: Where would you go on your ideal vacation (if you had unlimited finances)?

message 3: by Lizzy (last edited Mar 23, 2018 09:01PM) (new)

Lizzy | 730 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? Since the middle of 2017
2. Are you reading in or out of order? In order.
3. Where are you from? Originally Minnesota, USA; but currently near Berkeley, California
4. Favorite author - T.C. Boyle
5. Question for the person after you! Where would you go on your ideal vacation? Bora Bora or some other quiet tropical island.

Next Question: If you were stranded on a deserted island, which 5 books would you want to have with you?

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? I started with this back when it was originally under a different group and have been in this one since the beginning. So 4 years? 5? I've lost track.

2. Are you reading in or out of order? Definitely out of order. I don't think I would be able to do in order, partly because I'm a slower reader and haven't hit the full 52 yet and partly because I like to read based on what I'm interested in at that moment. This year I've been much more sporadic in my reading between work, courses I'm taking to finish my degree and expecting our first child (any day now!!), so reading is a luxury right now.

3. Where are you from? London, Ontario, Canada

4. Favorite author I'm not sure if I have a single favourite. Michael Crichton, Patrick Rothfuss, Pierce Brown, Scott Lynch, Stephen King, Sergei Lukyanenko, and Ann Leckie are on my favourites list.

Where would you go on your ideal vacation (if you had unlimited finances)?
Again I can't choose just one place. With unlimited finances I'd travel the world. I love being able to experience new food, cultures, people and get away from the tourist traps. Priority spots would include Ireland and Scotland, somewhere in the Amazon rain-forest, Kenya, Okinawa, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Egypt, and each province and territory in Canada. So, yea, all over the place!

Next Question: What are is the best a) book you've read and b) movie or tv show you've seen in the last year?

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 1) I joined ATY around August last year.
2) I'm way out of order.
3) I live in Northern VA.
4) Favorites are hard for me. In high school it was Stephen King, college was John Irving, and right this minute I have a pretty big crush on Haruki Murakami and Kurt Vonnegut.
5) a)Best Book in the last year??? I loved The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. b) Best Movie from the last year??? I must have watched Goodfellas at some point this year. I am a big Coen Brother fan, too!

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 477 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since about May 2016

Kind of both? Except for week 8, I've read the first 12 prompts, but also lots of later ones.

3. Where are you from?
Nova Scotia, but I live in Hainan, China!

4. Favorite author
Too many to name. Love Haruki Murakami, maybe he's the closest I have to a fave.

The person before me didn't ask a question, so I'll answer the one before that...

Best book- The Heart's Invisible Furies
Best movie or TV show... I haven't seen any in the last year. Sorry I spend all my free time reading :)

Next Question What's your favourite genre?

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
I've been with the group since we were a POPSUGAR challenge group back in 2015. Since the beginning, baby!

This year, I'm reading in order. I've just realised I alternate each year, out/in/out/in.

3. Where are you from?
Originally from Brisbane, Australia. Lived for three years in Toowoomba when I went to uni, ten years in Melbourne, and I've now lived the past five and a bit years in Zürich, Switzerland.

4. Favourite author?
I'm not sure I have one! Although I've loved books from J.K. Rowling, Charles Dickens, Haruki Murakami, Neil Gaiman, Patrick Ness, Agatha Christie, Shirley Jackson ... too many!

5. What's your favourite genre?
Classics, for sure. Not so much modern classics, but the older ones.

Question for the person after me: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? And did you do it?

message 8: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Mar 24, 2018 02:21AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
1. How long have you been with the group? this is my second year. I can't believe I finished the first one lol

2. Are you reading in or out of order? definitely out of order . I'm all over the place

3. Where are you from? Connecticut, USA

4. Favorite author Oh geez......A few whose books I ALWAYS read...Lisa See, Chris Bohjalian, Jodi Piccoult, Lianne Moraiarty, Stephen King, Joe Hill

5. Question for the person after you! Whats your favorite genre for the past few years Ive been on a YA dystopia binge and loving it, but I seem to be leaning back towards literary and historical fiction....also have a love affair with middle grade books.

Edit question answer because Jody and I are simultaneously posting lol.... I wanted to be a dance teacher or a veterinarian or a teacher..... Did I do it? Kind of sort of in a round about way. I ended up becoming an ICU Nurse for 15 years.... but now I teach nursing :-)

Next Question Hmmmmm........how many challenges are you trying to do this year, and what is your Good Reads challenge goal if you made one?

message 9: by Hilde (last edited Mar 24, 2018 02:38AM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 789 comments 1, How long have you been with the group? Approximately one year, so this is the first year being able to start the challenge from the beginning which is great:)

2. Are you reading in or out of order? Out of order, need to keep my options open for other reads such as BoTM in other groups etc. There always seems to pop up interesting books that I try to fit in!

3. Where are you from? Tromsø, Norway. Currently living in Oslo

4. Favorite author: Oh, I don't have any spesific, I like so many. But I have a few authors I know won't disappoint and always get back to

5. Hmmmmm........how many challenges are you trying to do this year, and what is your Good Reads challenge goal if you made one? Haha, too many. My Good Reads goal is 35 books, so I don't have the ambition to read 52 books for the ATY, it is a bit to much for me in one year. But I will probably double-dip some of the prompts though to be able to tick them off.

Other than this challenge I have signed up for a classic bingo challenge, old and new classic challenge and a TBR 1001 challenge. I try to jungle the 35 books for all of the challenges. I also participate in BoTM, monthly tag, diversity theme if my book choice happens to align.

Question for the person after me:
Are you part of any other bookish communities, such as Litsy, Library Thing?

message 10: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? Since the beginning! I was with the previous group when we did the 2015 PopSugar Challenge and then it was decided the creation of a new group with our own categories :)

2. Are you reading in or out of order? Always out of order.

3. Where are you from? I am from El Salvador, but I living in Norway since 2006.

4. Favorite author : I like Stephen King, J.K.Rowling, Marissa Meyer ... not sure who is my favorite

5. Are you part of any other bookish communities, such as Litsy, Library Thing? I am afraid no .

Question for the person after me:
Since you started these challenges, has your favorite literary genre changed?

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica | 477 comments I guess I misremembered. I’ve been with the group since the Popsugar challenge (but started late), so May 2015, not 2016.

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7420 comments Mod
I joined in June of last year, right when the polls for this year were starting. I don't even remember how I found it, but I'm so glad I did!

Out. Of. Order. I'm such a mood reader that I think I would find it difficult to follow the prompts in order. I may tackle it next year, if things go well and the prompts lend themselves to it, but I'm enjoying my mood reading at the moment.

3. Where are you from?
Lafayette, LA, USA

4. Favorite author
I'm going to cheat on this one. I don't really have a favorite author -- I typically pick up a book based on plot and less about the author. I have enjoyed John Green, Sarah Addison Allen, and Fredrik Backman, but I rarely seek out their books... I've just happened to like most of what I've read from them.

5. Since you started these challenges, has your favorite literary genre changed?
I'm definitely reading "higher quality" books. I've been more exposed to the literary greats, especially contemporary books that have gained mass popularity, but I wouldn't say the genres have changed -- I'm just reading higher quality books within the same genres (contemporary YA and historical fiction, for example)

Question for the person after me: How have your reading habits changed since starting this group?

message 13: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 281 comments 1) I joined the group just before the 2017 challenge.

2) my primary goal this year is to read some of the books I have lying around that I had never read. So I am reading those in order, except for the library books I am using for prompts I couldn't fill with my own books. And then I am skipping some for the read-a-thon. So really, no.

3) born and raised in Evansville, Indiana, USA. Lived here my whole life except for college.

4) i enjoy romance/ suspense for my light reading. Favorites: Jude Deveraux, Jayne Ann Krentz.

5) I am reading more variety, including more classics.

6) what is a book someone recommended to you that you loved?

message 14: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

1. I've been with the group since the beginning, actually since the original Popsugar Challenge.

2. Completely out of order. Always have.

3. I'm originally from Canton, OH but I have lived in Columbus, Orlando, and Boston. Now I live just outside of Cincinnati, OH.

4. I read a large variety but I guess I would have to say Colleen Hoover or Joe Hill. But Hill seriously needs to come out with another novel.

5. A lot of my recommendations are indirect since they come from GR or the group. But I read Bird Box largely due to group discussion and really liked it.

message 15: by Rachelnyc (last edited Mar 24, 2018 06:42PM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
I joined in January of this year.
Out of order. I had already read several books by the time I joined that I was able to fit in but I would read out of order regardless. I am a mood reader and I am trying to read mostly library books so I am at the whim of availability as well.
3. Where are you from? Originally from Northern New Jersey but have lived in NYC for most of my adult life.
4. Favorite author This is such a difficult question! I have a few: Margaret Atwood, Orhan Pamuk, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and a newish author that is becoming a favorite is Amor Towles.
5. what is a book someone recommended to you that you loved? Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine I adored this book!
6. Question for the person after you! Aside from reading, my favorite thing is travel. What is your favorite or most memorable travel destination?

message 16: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

The mod forgot to post a new question. Doh! Sorry Rachel!

message 17: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Laura wrote: "The mod forgot to post a new question. Doh! Sorry Rachel!"

lol We cross-posted so I wouldn't have seen it anyway so it all worked out!

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2312 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? Since the middle of 2015 when it was a Pop Sugar group.

2. Are you reading in or out of order? In order! I've made it through 15 books in order. I've also started a second ATY challenge that I'm reading out of order.

3. Where are you from? Wisconsin, USA

4. Favorite author I like Agatha Christie, Barbara Pym, Celeste Ng, Jane Austen and more

What is your favorite or most memorable travel destination? My most memorable is visiting St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. It was beautiful, so far away it seemed.

Question for the person after me: What new-to-you authors have you read this year?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I joined in February this year so my first time doing the challenge.

This year out of order but hoping next year to be organised enough with my reading to do it in order.

3. Where are you from?
I'm from the UK - brought up in the suburbs of Glasgow and live in London.

4. Favorite author
I can't choose just one. Favourites include: Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

5. What new-to-you authors have you read this year?
Jack London, Camilla Lackberg, Chelsea Cain, Rory Clements, Pat McIntosh, Anthony Berkeley, Anthony Burgess

Question for the person after me: Who is your favourite literary character?

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
I joined in December 2017, so this is my first year participating in the challenge. So far I love it!!

I'm reading in order.

3. Where are you from?
Germany - I currently live in Munich.

4. Favorite author
I love John Irving, T. C. Boyle, Benjamin von Stuckrad-Barre, Ian McEwan and many, many more!

Who is your favorite literary character?
Tough question, Lori!! I don't really have one, as this is constantly changing. But I think I'll go with childhood nostalgia here: Atreju from "The Never-Ending Story" by Michael Ende!!

Next question: Which author would you like to write the story of your life?

message 21: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
About 9 months.

Out of order.

3. Where are you from?
All over (my dad was in the military). But my folks were from California and I consider that home. I live in SF now, but spent most of my adult life in Illinois.

4. Favorite author
One favorite author?!?! ONE??? It's a real toughie. My favorite book is by Barbara Kingsolver, but lately I haven't liked her books as much, though I still like the way she writes. That's always interesting for me, liking/disliking what an author says vs how they say it.

5. Question for the person after you!
Who would write the story of my life -- an author who is compassionate and forgiving! ;) Maybe Rachel Joyce?

Next question: What genre(s) do you most like to read?

message 22: by Chattie (new)

Chattie | 7 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
I just joined last week. I'm excited and trying to catch up on challenges and rules.
Out of order.
3. Where are you from?
Alabama, USA
4. Favorite author
I like many authors so I can't just choose one. I've enjoyed Khaled Hosseini, Laura Hillenbrand and Barbara Taylor Bradford, just to name a few.
5.Which author would you like to write the story of your life?
Barbara Taylor Bradford
6.Next question: If you had to live the rest of your life with either audio or printed books, which would you choose?

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since December 2015.

Definitely out of order, especially because I'm doing multiple challenges that involve lists of prompts and I get most of my books from the library.

3. Where are you from?
Canada

4. Favorite author
Jodi Picoult

5. If you had to live the rest of your life with either audio or printed books, which would you choose?
Easy choice for me. I would definitely live without audiobooks. I rarely listen to them anyway.

New question: If you were an author, which genre would you want to write and why?

message 24: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1596 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? Since January 2017
2. Are you reading in or out of order? definitely out of order
3. Where are you from? I was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania. I now live in Church Road, Virginia
4. Favorite author I don't really have a favorite author. It used to be John Grisham and Nicholas Sparks but I've branched out so much with this group and others that I really don't have a favorite. I go through times where I like one type of genre and then switch.
5. If you were an author, which genre would you want to write and why? I'd probably write a dystopian or gothic book. Those just seem to catch my interest a little bit more. But then I think I'd just write a story about my life. Some days it seems pretty comical!

New question: If you were stuck on an island with one book which one would it be?

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1006 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? I joined when it was the pop sugar challenge in 2015
2. Are you reading in or out of order? Mostly in order with some random out of order.
3. Where are you from? Washington USA
4. Favorite author - no real favorite.

5. If you were stuck on an island with one book which one would it be? A book on how to build a boat or just stay alive. I think this would give me something to read and something to do. Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

New question: - Name The First Three Books You Think Of.

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill | 585 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? This is my second full year. I found the group towards the end of 2016.
2. Are you reading in or out of order? Trying to read in order. Hoping the library keeps having the books I need available when I need them.
3. Where are you from? Los Angeles, California
4. Favorite author? How much time do you have? If I narrow it down to just a few: Fredrik Backman, Jhumpa Lahiri, Jodi Picoult, Amor Towles and Amy Tan
5. Little Women, Beartown, A Gentleman in Moscow

New question: Where is your favorite place to read and time of day to read?

message 27: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1730 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
I think around December of 2016.

I'm reading out of order. I was going to read a side challenge of reading in order but the 2nd prompt is my nemesis task so I'm not making any progress there.

3. Where are you from?
New Mexico, USA

4. Favorite author
Brandon Sanderson

5. New question: If you were stuck on an island with one book which one would it be?
The Eye of the World/Robert Jordan

New question: Favorite ice cream flavor.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since 2015

Out of order

3. Where are you from?
Wisconsin

4. Favorite author
Terry Brooks

5. New question: Snowflake from Cedar Crest ice cream

New Question: Favorite thing to do as a kid

message 29: by Perri (new)

Perri | 782 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
This is my second year
Out of order
3. Where are you from?
Originally from Indiana, now on the coast of Washington
4. Favorite author
Neil Gaiman, Kent Haruf, Maria Doria Russell, Erik Larson...
5. Question for the person after you! Besides read? I love(d) to be outside,

New Question: Is there any genre you won't read?

message 30: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad 1. How long have you been with the group? 2015
2. Are you reading in or out of order? out of order
3. Where are you from?Wisconsin
4. Favorite author Stephen King
5. Question for the person after you! Romance

New Question: Where do you buy your books from?

message 31: by Sophie (last edited Mar 24, 2018 09:53PM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since the beginning in 2015.
Roughly in order.
3. Where are you from?
Switzerland, I'm living in Auckland, New Zealand for 10 more days then I'll travel around the world for a year.
4. Favorite author
Neil Gaiman and JK Rowling
5. Question for the person after you! For the first post: What is one thing you can't live without?
Can books count? It's really the only thing I couldn't not take with me while travelling (and clothes haha)

My question: If you could meet any author (dead or alive), who would that be?

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 73 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? January 2016
3. Where are you from? Virginia, USA
4. Favorite author? Jeanette Winterson
5. Question for the person after you! Where do you buy your books from? Most recently, I have bought used books from Abebooks and the Goodwill.

My Question: What is your favorite food or cuisine?

message 33: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since the beginning in 2015

This year I'm mostly reading in order

3. Where are you from?
Denmark

4. Favorite author
Liane Moriarty, Isabel Allende and Jo Nesbø

5. What is your favorite food or cuisine?
I like a lot of different food but at the moment Indian food is a favourite

My question: What is your favourite hobby (other than reading)?

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 802 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since 2015.
In order
3. Where are you from?
California, USA
4. Favorite author?
Ooh that is hard. I really like Sue Grafton and Lianne Moriarty.
5. What is your favorite hobby (other than reading)?
I love crossword puzzles!

My question: if you could make any book into a movie, what would it be?

message 35: by Kathi (new)

Kathi (kathijo) | 66 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since 2015.
In order
3. Where are you from?
Arlington, MA
4. Favorite author?
So hard to pick just one and it changes over time. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs, Anne McCaffrey
5. If you could make any book into a movie, what would it be?
A Discovery of Witches

My question: If you could share a meal with any fictional character, who would it be?

message 36: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Mar 25, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
I joined in January last year.

I started reading in order but as I get most of my books from the library it wasn’t really working with waiting lists for books. I was getting a bit too stressed about it all so I decided to go back to reading in whatever order I feel like.

3. Where are you from?
I love in London, though I’m originally from Yorkshire.

4. Favorite author
Too many to choose from. I love J.K. Rowling because the Harry Potter books have been favourites of mine for years. I’m also enjoying a lot of Agatha Christie books lately. Iain Banks is another favourite, and I also love everything I’ve read by Jack London.

5. If you could share a meal with any fictional character, who would it be?
This is such a fun question. I think I’d pick Anne from Anne of Green Gables, and hope that she might consider me a kindred spirit. ;-)

My question to the next person: what was your favourite book you had to read as a school assignment?

message 37: by Edie (new)

Edie | 849 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? June 2017
3. Where are you from? Nashville, TN
4. Favorite author: Isabel Allende, Barbara Kingsolver and Sarah Addison Allen for a start... but there are lots of other authors that I like, so really I don't have a favorite per se.
5. What is your favorite book you had to read as a school assignment? This is a tough question since it has been 50 plus years since I had to read a book as a school assignment. I remember really liking Grapes of Wrath when I read it in high school.

My question to the next person: What have you read in the last year that was a surprising great read? (I discovered Neil Garman last year).

message 38: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
Since Februari 2015

Out of order

3. Where are you from?
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

4. Favorite author
Raymond Feist, Fredrik Backman and Robin Hobb are the ones that come to mind, but there are more :)

5. What have you read in the last year that was a surprising great read?
Not sure if it was surprising, but I read my first Fredrik Backman and Marissa MEyer books last year and loved both.

My question to the next person: Is there any new to you author that you really want to read this year?

message 39: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments 1. How long have you been with the group? Since the beginning of 2015

I don't participate in the challenge this year. In the last years I always read out of order.

3. Where are you from?
A village in Germany.

4. Favorite author
I don't have just one absolute fav author. Brandon Sanderson, George R.R. Martin, Cassandra Clare, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Sarah J. Maas, Leigh Bardugo, John Green, ...

5. I just started reading my first ever book of Kurt Vonnegut, otherwise I would finally like to read something by Truman Capote, Donna Tartt and Virginia Woolf this year.

My question for the next person: What is a special memory you have that has to do with a book? (for example: A book you bought on holiday and you always have to think back to where you got it.)

message 40: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments 1. How long have you been with the group?
I joined in late April last year, so about a year now!

Out of order; I tend to read based on my moods so going in order probably wouldn't work out well for me.

3. Where are you from?
Illinois.

4. Favorite author?
I don't have one absolute favorite author, but a few I like a lot are Anita Diamant, Leigh Bardugo, Sarah Dessen & Tana French.

5. What is a special memory you have that has to do with a book?
I took a Children's Lit class a few years back, and I have fond memories of my professor reading little bits of Anne of Green Gables aloud each period. It was a nice little throwback to having books read aloud to me when I was a kid and made me nostalgic.

My question for the next person: Have you discovered any new genres you enjoyed while reading for this challenge (can be this year or in years past)?