Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Complicate Me (The Good Ol' Boys, #1)
This topic is about Complicate Me
Archive (Buddy Reads) > April Buddy Read - Complicate Me (Chan, Hanne)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7550 comments April Buddy Read

Chan | 3891 comments Hi Hanne!!! I can't believe we get to do a buddy read. I'm soooo excited!

Hanne | 113 comments Hey Chan! I can't believe it too and I'm super excited! :D
Now we need to find a book :)

Chan | 3891 comments Hanne wrote: "Hey Chan! I can't believe it too and I'm super excited! :D
Now we need to find a book :)"

I'm still finalizing my MnG picks for April/May and I'll share it with you once I'm done. However, last Buddy Read round Karen and I picked from her shelf. I was happy that we didn't pick one of my books because Show No Mercy was really good.

If you want, share all of your books you plan to use for any upcoming challenges.

Hanne | 113 comments Chan wrote: "Hanne wrote: "Hey Chan! I can't believe it too and I'm super excited! :D
Now we need to find a book :)"

I'm still finalizing my MnG picks for April/May and I'll share it with you once I'm done. Ho..."

So far, I can only think about 2 books lol. I know I want to read The Silent Waters as soon as possible in April. I also want to read Breaking Gravity

Chan | 3891 comments okay. I have to be honest...i have a quirk. I have to begin series with book 1. The Silent Waters is book 3 and Breaking Gravity is book 2. Are there other books you are interested in reading?

Off the top of my head I know that I will definitely read Red Dirt Heart (m/m). I'm almost an exclusive f/m reader, but I promised myself to branch out.

I also plan to read a KA novel, maybe The Will or a Rock Chick book.

And Lead

I will definitely read more than that in April, but those are the one's I know for sure. I'll know more after this weekend when I take the time to look through my MnG books for the next round.

Hanne | 113 comments I completely understand ;) I usually have the same quirk ;) The Elements series is like Mia Sheridan's Sign of Love series if I'm not mistaken. Each book is about an element and the characters are completely unrelated.

I've already read Lead :) It was my least favorite of the series. I don't already own the other books and I unfortunately can't buy whatever book I want.. Red Dirt Heart is a long series :o
Do you have KU?

I won't mind reading The Matchmaker's Playbook or The Other C-Word or Playboy Pilot or Withering Hope or Before We Were Strangers

We'll find a book ;) We still have time

message 8: by Chan (last edited Mar 24, 2018 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments I updated my MnG list. The books are pasted at the end of this post below, but do not feel pressured to pick from the list.

I do not have KU, but don't worry about that. I have a gift of finding books for very cheap. I also have a used bookstore around the corner and I can get a lot of romance novels for about 1$ - 3$.

You mentioned Mia Sheridan, are you interested in reading Grayson's Vow ?

Out of the other five books you mentioned, I wouldn't mind reading Playboy Pilot, The Other C-Word. I could also read Before We Were Strangers as long as it doesn't switch back and forth between the past and present.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1) by N.R. Walker Lead (Stage Dive, #3) by Kylie Scott Take No Prisoners (Black Ops Inc., #2) by Cindy Gerard HITMAN’S SURPRISE BABY A Bad Boy Mafia Romance by Kathryn Thomas Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt The Will (Magdalene, #1) by Kristen Ashley Rescuing Emily (Delta Force Heroes, #2) by Susan Stoker Ignite (Explosive, #1) by Tessa Teevan Found in You (Fixed, #2) by Laurelin Paige Silence is Golden (Storm and Silence, #3) by Robert Thier Rock Chick Redemption (Rock Chick, #3) by Kristen Ashley The Edge of Courage (Red Team, #1) by Elaine Levine Billionaire Romance Billionaire Offer An Alpha Billionaire Romance Series (Book 1) by Anna Collins Cheeky (Imperfect Love) by Natasha Madison Fighting for Flight (Fighting, #1) by J.B. Salsbury King (King, #1) by T.M. Frazier Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1) by Penny Reid Until Jax (Until Him, #1) by Aurora Rose Reynolds Midnight Man (Midnight, #1) by Lisa Marie Rice Complicate Me (The Good Ol' Boys, #1) by M. Robinson A Bradford Halloween (Neighbor from Hell #3.5) by R.L. Mathewson Liberating Lacey by Anne Calhoun Idle Bloom by Jewel E. Ann Beneath This Man (This Man, #2) by Jodi Ellen Malpas Five Dates by Amy Jo Cousins Until Nico (Until, #4) by Aurora Rose Reynolds A Reason to Breathe (Reason, #1) by C.P. Smith Baby Maker by P. Dangelico Because You Are Mine The Complete Novel (Because You Are Mine, #1) by Beth Kery The Fractured Heart (Second Circle Tattoos, #2) by Scarlett Cole

message 9: by Hanne (last edited Mar 24, 2018 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hanne | 113 comments I also don't have KU, it's not even available here. That's amazing! I'm a little jealous!

I'm not sure about the back and forth in Before We Were Strangers. I can always check if you want to read it :)

I've already read some books from the ones you've posted :)

The books we can choose from:
Grayson's Vow
Playboy Pilot
The Other C-Word
Complicate Me
A Reason to Breathe

I don't really have a favorite, but A Reason to Breathe is my least favorite lol. We can always read more than one if we have the time and if we want =)

You do know that King is dark, right? I know you're not a fan of anything scary

message 10: by Chan (last edited Mar 26, 2018 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments If Before We Were Strangers doesn't switch back and forth then I'm all for it. The Other C-Word was my least favorite. So, lets update the list:

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino Grayson's Vow by Mia Sheridan Playboy Pilot by Penelope Ward Complicate Me (The Good Ol' Boys, #1) by M. Robinson

Reading any of the above would make me very happy. If I had a strong preference, I would say it, but I don't. I broke my usual M.O. and read the synopsis of the four books above and they all sound very interesting. So, go ahead and get us started. If we have time for another book, I can pick that one :o)

Thanks for the heads up about King. I really appreciate the warning. As I stated, I don't usually read the synopsis. I may try to read King anyway, but we'll see.

Hanne | 113 comments I checked Before We Were Strangers. I'm not sure about the time period of the first 3 chapters, but then it's 15 years earlier and 15 years later. So I'm pretty sure it's not back and forth.. What do you think about it?

Those books would also make me happy ;) I won't mind starting with Complicate Me. I can't start on the first few days of April. I'm not sure when I can start, but I'll let you know.

How do you want to discuss the book? At the end? When you have something you want to talk about? Every few chapters?

message 12: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Before We were strangers can be our second book if we have time.

Let's discuss every few chapters? I can start whenever, so let me know when you're ready.

Hanne | 113 comments That would be great :D

Ok, that's what I hoped. I don't want to forget something. I'll let you know as soon as I know ;)

message 14: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Hey Hanne. Just checking in with you.

Hanne | 113 comments Hey Chan! I was going to tell you today when I can start. I can every day from Wednesday :) When can you start?

message 16: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Hanne wrote: "Hey Chan! I was going to tell you today when I can start. I can every day from Wednesday :) When can you start?"

Hey Hanne! I'm ready when you are.

Hanne | 113 comments Chan wrote: "Hanne wrote: "Hey Chan! I was going to tell you today when I can start. I can every day from Wednesday :) When can you start?"

Hey Hanne! I'm ready when you are."

Okay. I'll let you know on Wednesday when I'll start (that evening or Thursday)

Hanne | 113 comments Can we start tomorrow? :)
Can't wait

message 19: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Hanne wrote: "Can we start tomorrow? :)
Can't wait"

Hola Hanne! Yep, I'm ready to go. How do you want to do this? Read up to a certain chapter by a certain day and discuss. Or discuss as we go along.

Heads up...I'm not sure if you can tell by my reviews, but I REALLY get into books. I'm in a bit of a slump right now, and my book excitement has been waning. But we'll see...hopefully, this one will break the slump.

Hanne | 113 comments Discuss as we go along, because I prefer reading one book at the time. I'll probably say something every 5 chapters, unless the chapters are very long. I'll use spoiler tags ;)

Yes, I did already notice that :p That's no fun :( Fingers crossed this book is a winner!! If you're reading in the mood for another book and you want to wait with starting this one, I can also wait. Your choice!

message 21: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Sounds good. I'll mimic the same practice - discuss every 5 chapters. Unless it gets real good and I can't hold it.

I plan to start early this evening (EST) unless you say otherwise.

Hanne | 113 comments Indeed, unless it gets real good ;)

You can already start if you want. I still need to finish a book and I can only start tomorrow. I'm CEST

message 23: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Hanne wrote: "Indeed, unless it gets real good ;)

You can already start if you want. I still need to finish a book and I can only start tomorrow. I'm CEST"

Dang it. I wish I would have waited to start. I wanted to type something about what I read, but I'll wait until tomorrow.

Hanne | 113 comments Chan wrote: "Hanne wrote: "Indeed, unless it gets real good ;)

You can already start if you want. I still need to finish a book and I can only start tomorrow. I'm CEST"

Dang it. I wish I would have waited to ..."

Hahaha. You can always use the spoiler tag

Hanne | 113 comments Prologue - chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments OMGosh...Hanne. I started off enjoying this book. But I'm about ready to chuck my Kindle out the frickin window!

I too enjoyed that Half Pint is 'one of the boys,' and they are protective of her.

I do not enjoy this ominous feeling throughout the book. It has a feeling of doom.

I read up to chapter 10 today. I won't say anything more besides I'm ready to beat the SNOT out of Lucas.

The first few chapters gave me false hope that this book could break my slump, but right now, I'm feeling a little violent. LOL

Hanne | 113 comments I totally understand your feelings. I started enjoying it too, but then Lucas started ruining it..

Yes, the boys are so protective ove her and I really like that. It doesn't matter how old Alex is. They don't want anything or anyone to hurt her, but they also like to tease her. I like their friendship.

Indeed. There is a feeling of doom..

I'm at chapter 12 and it looks like Lucas is changing, so I'm crossing my fingers that he stays that way! I really hated what he did at his birthday! I didn't mind it that Lucas was dating someone that wasn't Alex, because I didn't think that he loved Alex at that moment. But I can't understand how he could sleep with someone and not much later say that he loved someone else. He also must have know how much it would hurt Alex, since she was hurt by just a kiss.

I think Cole is going to be his fiancée. I kind of like it that Cole doesn't care what Lucas says.

I really like the house that only Lucas and Alex know about and that they meet up there regurlary. Lucas has a sweet side, but also a very stupid side lol

I'm hoping for your reading slump that the book gets better ;)

message 28: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments I'm up to chapter 16, but I won't be able to read again until later this evening.

Yessss, I feel the same about Lucas' birthday. Did the author really have to narrate that part? But what really bothered me is that Lucas witnessed Half Pint's heart break but continued to do it. And his claim of 'she's just a girl' is not fair.

Another thing that doesn't make sense - besides the age gap, what is the big problem of Half Pint and Bo getting together. Even before Bo started seeing Stacey, the characters were making it seem that Bo wasn't good enough for her and I don't know why.

I feel like there are a lot of gaps that need to be filled and it's causing me to be disconnected with the story and the characters.

Hanne | 113 comments Yeah. I don't get it either why the author narrate that. It also totally doesn't make sense why Bo and Half Pint can't be together. That age gap is only 2 years, so that's not a problem for me. They are so close, know each other so well and they have feelings for each other. Alex' mom telling Bo that they can't be together, I don't get why she did that without an obvious reason.

I'm also not connecting with the story and characters so far.. There are more bad moments than good moments so far. I'm up to chapter 17. I loved what Alex said to Lucas at chapter 16. Lucas was yet again with Stacey, but he asks too much from Alex and if he really wants Alex, he shouldn't be with Stacey anymore. I don't get Lucas at all.

I would have hoped they were older at this point in the book and a couole. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait without getting too furious.

Hanne | 113 comments A quote that describes everything so far:
"Our relationship was filled with what ifs, and maybe some days..
It was complicated.
It was messy.
It was us."

But the some days is not something I've felt so far. I really wanted them together already. The hurt is getting too much

message 31: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments HANNE HANNE HANNE! I can't believe it, but I'm in so much like with Stacey right now. She let Bo have it. Whew...just in time. The book is still depressing, but that moment made smile evilly.

I'm not sure what the author is hoping for, but at this point i dont want Bo to touch Half Pint with a ten foot pole. How on earth am i supposed to root for them to be together. For starters, I'm disconnected from the characters. I don't know them. And two, Bo is an insensitive man whore.

message 32: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Ugh. Im not sure how much more of this nonsensical roller coaster i can take. It's getting a bit ridiculous

Hanne | 113 comments CHAN! I was totally in like with Stacey too. Just like with Aubrey. I'm glad those girls said their mind. BUT Lucas should have already known what those girls said. He hurt Alex with just kissing someone and even more on his birthday, so he should know that being with all those girls in front of her isn't making her happy. He also never saw Alex holding hands with or kissing Cole, so of course they are not a couple and Lucas still has a chance.

I also can't root for them to be together and I'm also not sure how much longer I can take it.. But I'm up to chapter 28, so the end is near.. I did kind of start to like the book from the moment Lucas went to college and he has changed. He couldn't be with Alex fast enough after her accident (drunk driven = stupid decision number so many) and he stayed with her all this time. I hope they finally get together, but knowing the prologue, that won't be the case.. There are only 13 more chapters for me and they haven't been a couple for one day and Alex still needs to be engaged to someone else. I don't think we will get much of them as a couple and I hate that! They should have said 'f*ck eveybody and lets proof that we can be together forever' a lot sooner!

I kind of like Alex. She doesn't let Lucas control everything in her life, like she fought for her friendship with Cole, and she never got together with Cole. But she's so naive, waiting for Lucas and when there is chance she walked away from him.. ugh

Hanne | 113 comments I'm up to chapter 31. Only 3 chapters after my previous message. I have 2 things to say
1) Why is everybody against Lucas and Alex being together? Something was going to happen and I loved what Lucas did with her prom, so why did her dad have to ruin it all??
2) I felt bad for Lucas, until what he did at the end of chapter 30. Ugh. That didn't take long. Why????

message 35: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments I'll wait to read your comments. I'm only up to chapter 23

Hanne | 113 comments I finished Complicate Me a few hours ago. I’ll comment the last chapters and my overall opinion of the book in the spoiler tags, since you still have some reading to do and there are spoilers mentioned..

(view spoiler)

I liked our buddy read and that we agreed on so much. I want to do another one if you want to :)

message 37: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Whew...I completed this last night. I agree with every thing you said. I really didn't like this book. Every chapter something majorly depressing happened. What was the author's purpose of this story?

The last 20 or so pages were good, but I had pretty much given up on everything. I wasn't invested in the story any longer or the characters. I got to the point I didn't care what happened to any of them. It was too depressing. I know you felt bad for Cole, but I didn't. I felt like he was jerk too. Maybe not in the ways that Bo was, but he was still a jerk and in his own way he was using Half Pint too.

I also feel bad you, Hanne. I'm in a slump so I hope that my pessimism isn't rubbing off on you. Do you think you may have enjoyed this story more if you didn't read it with me?

message 38: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments By the way...I'm up for another read. Only if you think I'm not going to ruin it for you.

Even though I didn't care for the book, it was nice to commiserate with someone. And we agreed on so much. I guess nothing can get worse than what we just read, huh :o)

Hanne | 113 comments I missed the notification of your messages or I would have answered sooner. Sorry. I finally posted me review yesterday and I wanted to say that here lol

Yeah, I didn't get the purpose to. It was all hurt and stupid decisions. When things were getting better, I also had given up on the story. Cole gave me mixed feelings. He wasn’t the one for Alex, because he wanted her because he wanted to be better than Lucas.

No, you didn’t rubbed off on me. I would have never loved this story, because it took way too long before Alex and Lucas ended up together and Lucas was a player. The next three books I read were 5 stars lol

You would never ruin a book for me ;) I wouldn’t say that I wanted another buddy read, if I didn’t meant it. Let’s hope we read nothing worse than this one lol.

I hope to read the next books this month: Fade In and Undeclared. Or we can read Before We Were Strangers. Your choice ;)

message 40: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Okay. Great! As long as I won't negatively influence your reading.

Let's go with Before We Were Strangers. Let me know when you want to start. I'm ready when you are.

Hanne | 113 comments Chan wrote: "Okay. Great! As long as I won't negatively influence your reading.

Let's go with Before We Were Strangers. Let me know when you want to start. I'm ready when you are."

Maybe Monday. I need to read an ARC first. I'll let you know!

Hanne | 113 comments I can start Before We Were Strangers tonight. Ok?

message 43: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Sounds good. Same format as before? Checking-in every 5 chapters or so?

Hanne | 113 comments Chan wrote: "Sounds good. Same format as before? Checking-in every 5 chapters or so?"

Yes, unless you really need to say something :)

message 45: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Oh Hanne. I'm only a 3 chapters in and it already sounds sad. I'm not sure where you are in the story, so i don't want to post details yet.

Hanne | 113 comments I've only read the first 5 chapters yesterday. I'll read again when I post this lol

I love the cover and that the chapters have a title.

I can't remember the last time I've read characters at this age, but there are going back to college time in the second movement.

Matt is stuck. He can't believe his eyes when he sees Grace again after 15 years. Grace also recongizes him. I'm curious about what happened between them and how Grace's life is now (because so far the book is only told from his pov).

I loved how they met and their first 'date'. Unique. I do think Grace is hiding something. I can't wait to read more!

Hanne | 113 comments Chan wrote: "Oh Hanne. I'm only a 3 chapters in and it already sounds sad. I'm not sure where you are in the story, so i don't want to post details yet."

I didn't refresh my page before posting, so I didn't see your message.. The author writes emotional books, so I expect something sad. I'm a fan of emotional books lol. Hope you're ready lol

message 48: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments CHAPTER 10

Soooooo, i was a little bummed when the story jumped back 15 years, but it's not going back and forth, so I can deal with it.

Your comment about the author writing emotional books is hitting home to what I'm predicting. There is some deep sadness looming over this book. It's making me nervous. Especially when Matt saw her for the first time after 15 years, he mentioned that her eyes looked hollow or something.

Grace's financial situation is EXTREME. I can't even imagine what that would be like. It's heartbreaking. And what is up with PROFESSOR PORNSAKE. LOL...Pornsake. I hope this isn't going to be a love triangle.

Oooh...what if Grace and Matt have sex and then she gets pregnant and there is an 11 year old child that he doesn't know about. Or what if she has sex with Pornsake and marries him and then has his child? But he leaves her or something.....either of those scenarios would be overly depressing.

message 49: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Renee Carlino skimped on the intimacy. It was supposed to be this big deal for Grace, but it was over in a few paragraphs. Matt was sweet though.

message 50: by Chan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chan | 3891 comments Okay...Carlino made up for the brevity of the first scene :o)

« previous 1