Start by marking “Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)

Undeclared

(Woodlands #1)

For four years, Grace Sullivan wrote to a Marine she never met, and fell in love. But when his deployment ended, so did the letters. Ever since that day, Grace has been coasting, academically and emotionally. The one thing she’s decided? No way is Noah Jackson — or any man — ever going to break her heart again.

Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Succes
Published April 28th 2013 by Jen Frederick (first published April 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Undeclared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undeclared

Candace
I listened to the Audible version of this book and found it to be quite an enjoyable way to spend my daily commute. Centered on a college-aged heroine, Grace, the story was sweet and innocent in many ways, but it didn't have that immature, melodramatic feel that many YA/NA books do. Granted, Grace was young, so expect the typical college experience to be detailed with lots of drinking, classes and boys. However, I think this author did a good job of pulling it off without driving adult readers c ...more
Navessa
I've kept my mouth shut about Jane Litte of Dear Author = Jen Frederick while it all unfolds, but after everything that's come to light, I think it's time I take a stand.

First off, if this was anyone else, Dear Author would have rallied the townsfolk and lit the torches. Thanks to that raging hypocrisy, the deceit on numerous author boards (where a lot of authors are now saying they never would have said the things they did had they known who she was), and the potential for all these authors to
Catarina
Mar 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
1 Star

I don’t even know where to start with this one. The blurb seemed promising. A love story that started without the protagonist knowing each other, just with letters to a marine during war, until he stops writing back. And when he returns the fight for a second change. It had everything to be a great book, unfortunately… it wasn’t.

description

First, it was Grace. She was immature, whinny and basically all her life resumed at attending classes she wouldn’t care about, go to parties and get drunk, get i
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo FreeTuXBbysb_zps5b0c2c6e.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (3/28/2015)

BLURB:

Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Success. Stability. Control. That’s why he joined the Marines and that’s why he’s fightin
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
ARC provided by author for an honest review

5 stars!!!
I really enjoyed this reading book. When I read the blurb the first thing that stood out for me was MARINE. Lol! I'm a sucker for a man in uniform!

Grace writes to Noah a marine she's never met as part of a school assignment. This was so cute because they literally sent each other letters via post. In the beginning the letters were quite innocent, but they slowly started becoming a ray of light for Noah and Grace and they fell in love. But unf
Elfina Renee
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Undeclared is a sublime read. Jen Frederick did a heartwarming job penning letters between a high school student and a Marine.
 photo Undeclared 3.gif
Normally you’d think Dear John letters goes to the man but in this case a Dear Jane sets everything into motion.
 photo Undeclared 1.jpg
Simply fantastic, innocent, flirty, funny and cute! Yeahhhh its one of those books that will leave you feeling good. At times I laughed because of all the playful banter and silliness, other times I was ready to throat punch a few characters. Five stars!
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hea, not-so-bad-boy
"Do you think magnetic polarity can be reversed?"

"Magnets can be reversed. But, for some, their attraction is so strong that they can't be kept apart."

No, this book wasn't really like the Dear John, I mean it had some similarities but it wasn't exactly the same. But I have to admit in the very beginning it had the most similarities and it reminded me of these characters and after that they just stuck in my head. SO, I went with it....

Grace Sullivan was required her freshman year in high school
Jenn

What I liked about this book:
1. The letters at the beginning of most of the chapters. I felt like Noah was this real solider in Afghan writing home to Grace.
2. The friendship Noah and Grace built up before they started a relationship.
3. Noah only had eyes and feelings for Grace.
4. Noah was many of firsts for Grace.
5. I loved Noah's friends/roommates. Especially his friend Bo.
6. Dual P.O.V's
7. The concept of this story line.
8. H.E.A.
9. The humor in this book.
10. No cliffhanger.
11. Military aspe
Anna
To be completely honest I felt the beginning of the book was a super slow-burn then things ignited too fast and then a random moment and then boom .... The End.

Rambling.com

But I will most definitely read the next book because my interest has been peaked for Bo ❤
S.M. West

This was another audio read…yes, I’m hooked. It was a sweet read, with the relationship between Grace Sullivan and Noah Jackson blossoming from the old fashioned writing of letters. How retro and so perfect! I still love getting a handwritten letter or a card. It just seems to hold so much more meaning, especially in this digital age. Grace starts writing to Noah as a high school assignment, becoming a pen pal to a military man. Noah’s a marine - enough said :)

This was a second chance love. Alt
Kathleen

Hero Rating 5 Stars
Heroine Rating 4 Stars
Heat Level 3 Stars
Overall Rating 4 Stars

What a wonderful and sweet story

WOW! This was not my usual read, but you know what? I REALLYenjoyed this book and I'm very glad that I read it.

Jen Frederick did a wonderful job with this story; it captured me immediately and kept me interested all the way through. I liked that the author wrote the POV’s from both of the main characters,
Brenna
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
As a high school freshman, Grace starts writing to a Marine as part of a school assignment. Her and Noah end up exchanging letters for four full years, way beyond the assignment that initiated their friendship. During those years, they become extremely important to each other. Grace is Noah’s support and really helps get him through his time in Afghanistan. When Noah all of a sudden sends Grace a “Dear Jane” type letter telling her is only interested in being friends, it ruins all their plans fo ...more
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐ 2.5 stars ⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Keris Shay
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

I'm having a hard time deciding about this book. Parts of it I loved completely then other parts I was just unsure about. I loved the letters that were written and the dual POV, but I still felt like certain things were missing. A few things were not answered, What happened to the yogurt shop, did he get it? I wanted more discussion on the Dear John letter. I would have liked them to talk about the 2 years they were not in contact, what happened, feelings??? I wanted Noa
Jacqueline
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
How is it I haven't read this author before? I do love second chance stories where the chemistry builds up and there's good tension and banter.

He's a former marine, she's an undergraduate ans up until two years ago, they wrote every month. He leaves the marines, gets his head together then sets about wooing her.

Swoon. So many happy feels.

The upbeat, belly-tingling steady burn in a college setting reminded me in some ways of The Deal and Sincerely Carter and The Hook-up, so if you enjoyed them,
Amber Rose
This story starts off with Grace writing a letter to a Marine, Noah who is deployed over in Afghanistan for her school. They made a instant connection being friends writing back and forth for 4 years.

Now 2 years have pasted, Grace is in college. She still has not heard anything from Noah in 2 years since he said he didn't want to meet her. She is crushed. Grace is always looking around picturing seeing Noah.

Then on day Noah shows up after Grace's class... I would think that Grace would run int
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

4 Stars

My <3 for Noah Jackson is definitely not UNDECLARED!!

Grace Sullivan spent four years of her life writing to Noah Jackson, a then-deployed Marine whom she never met. In the course of getting to know one another over four-years' worth of letters, Grace fell in love, and, honestly, so did Noah. However, when Noah's deployment ended, the letters and all interaction between the two stopped. Noah basically wrote her a Dear Jane letter, and the two didn'
KatLynne
Debut - 3.5 Stars
A sweet, warm romance between a young Marine coming home from deployment and a young college student who fell in love while exchanging letters. They both had to face their greatest fears before their relationship could become solid.

Noah Jackson is a swoon worthy hero both in looks and actions and made the book for me. Clare finally finds the courage needed to make an important decision about her future, thus giving a much needed boost to her self confidence.

I enjoyed the slow b
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)
I enjoyed this book a great deal. My biggest issue was the plot device (the whole not talking about our problems leading to a break up). I hate romances that use miscommunication or lack of communication to create drama. Thankfully, the entire book isn't based on that, but it did take some of the shine off the book for me.
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Sometimes I'm short, other times I'm sweet, and this time...I'll get right to the point.

Undeclared wasn't a bad book, it was good even, but during its transitional journey into being great, it hit a wall. Smacked right into it head first.

Now really, who am I to judge? Sometimes my head accidentally smacks into walls (and other things), and it hurts...usually. However, vast consumptions of enhanced beverages are usually involved, but I'm sure we've all hit a wall or two in our time.

Oh yes, I p
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Omg where can I find a Noah..he's a dream in every way!
My favorite part was when he cleaned her makeup off her face when she was drunk. He didn't have a mama so that right there even made it much more sweeter for him to have done that. I loved everything about this book because it was so refreshing to have a book where there isn't such jealousy and mistrust. The forces that tried to keep this sweet couple apart was just simple human nature. Noah messed up..made it up then got the girl and girl
Pam Nelson
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Undeclared Gamble Stars

Grace & Noah

Ahhh when I first started this book, I had a inkling of where it was going to go. I was wrong and right but I have to say I loved the journey.

I feel like both characters needed each other to truly heal and be who they wanted to be. I don’t know if that makes sense but it does to me.

I think I loved that Noah knew it was going to be a hard road into Grace’s heart but he wouldn’t have had it any other way. He was all in.

I loved the fall, Grace’s fall int
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Check out this and my other reviews at My Blog

★Book Basics★

Genre : - Cont NA/YA Romance
Series : - Book 1 in the series.
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating 4 stars

★Review★

When this popped up as free, I grabbed it straight away. Having read the Hitman series this author co wrote, and loved it, I was excited to try something
Julie James
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book--my first foray into the New Adult genre. The main characters, particularly the heroine, struggle with indecisiveness and at times make impulsive decisions, but I found that to be an authentic depiction of their ages. I really liked the unique set-up of the book, in which the heroine and hero *meet* while corresponding via letters while he's deployed overseas in the Marines. Loved the scene later in the book when he gives her his dog tags.

I look forward to reading more in the
Sara
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sara by: Michele
Another good book!! YAY for me!!!

As part of a class project, Grace became pen pals with Noah while he was serving for the Marine's in Afganistan. For the duration of highschool (all 4 years) they wrote each other once a month and she sent several care packages over the years. After 4 years she gets a Dear Jane letter, where he says she's like a little sister to him, and that they wont be meeting. Talk about killing a girls hopes and dreams. Its two years later now, and Grace is a sophmore in col
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
I enjoyed this book but at the same time I felt the details at time were messed up by things not being told to us in detail. And the pace was irritating by going normal at times but also randomly jumping to fast.
Katie(babs)
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Undeclared is a debut novel by Jen Frederick. I first found out about Jen on Twitter, and after some communication between us, she sent me Undeclared to read and review. I’m always on the lookout for new to me authors. Undeclared is considered a New Adult novel set in college featuring Grace, a college junior in Chicago who enjoys photography, but has no idea what she should major in. Her uncle is paying for her college tuition and expects her to decide on her career path sooner than later. Gra ...more
Arlene
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Jen Frederick
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

I was offered the opportunity to read and review Undeclared by Jen Frederick and I truly enjoyed it. So thank you Ms. Frederick for providing me a review copy of your book.

As of late, I tend to gravitate to books that have a glimpse of military backdrop in their setting. I have to commend these authors for offering us a sense of what our service men and women go through when they are deployed for stretches of time and then expected to acclimate back into civilian l
A. Bookzilla.
I really, really liked Undeclared.

It was fairly drama free, it had two awesome main characters, a great cast of supporting ones and, while the author was stretching it a bit - which she admits herself in the end, I thought it was a great, unique story.

Noah was a nice guy! That's the first thing you need to know about this book. If you're tired of the obligatory tattooed bad boy womanizer hero, this is your book. Because Noah was a nice guy, consistently, until the end. I never once thought he mi
Michelle
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
College sophomore, Grace isn’t one that puts herself out there. She’s been happy just following while everyone else leads. A little unsure and a whole lot of unexperienced, she still hasn’t gotten over her crush on Noah. The Marine she wrote letters to as a part of a High School project. For four years they wrote letters, until he just stopped. Now two years later, Grace gets the shock of her life when Noah and his best friend Bo show up at her college.

Noah had no options, joining the Marines ga
New Adult Book Club: This topic has been closed to new comments. #27 - Undeclared 186 359 Jan 13, 2014 05:47AM
  • Sanctuary of Mine
  • A Long Time Coming (Perfect Timing #2)
  • How It Rolls (Love and Skate, #2)
  • Limits (Silver Strand, #3)
  • Wicked Thing
  • Last Man Standing (Southern Scrimmage, #5)
  • This Love (University of Branton, #1)
  • Gravity Happens (Forcing Gravity #2)
  • In a Heartbeat (Heartbeat, #1)
  • Faster We Burn (Fall and Rise, #2)
  • Lily of the Valley (Flowering, #1.5)
  • Love and the Real Boy (Coming About #2)
  • Redesigned (Off the Subject, #2)
  • Finding Grace
  • Risk the Night
  • Brave & Beautiful (Sassy Boyz, #3)
  • Only Between Us
  • Live for You (Boys of the South, #1)

Woodlands (5 books)
  • Unspoken (Woodlands, #2)
  • Unraveled (Woodlands, #3)
  • Unrequited (Woodlands, #4)
  • Unwritten (Woodlands, #5)
“The Marines may have made me a man, but Grace made me human.” 28 likes
“It’s easier to have a relationship with someone who isn’t there than someone who is.” 10 likes