2019 #ReadICT Challenge discussion

Post your 2018 reading lists!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzanneperezict) | 43 comments Mod
If you have a list (even if incomplete) of what you plan to read for the challenge, post it here. You can edit it as time goes on. That way we can see what others are planning for their year. (Remember the number of your post so it's easier to find when you need to update it.)

Wichita Eagle 2018 #ReadICT Challenge

1. A library book
2. A detective novel or true crime book
3. A book about reading or writing
4. A book set somewhere you've never been
5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend
6. A book with an animal on the cover
7. A graphic novel
8. An essay or short story collection
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you
10. A book about a topic in the news
11. A book published the year you were born
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018

message 2: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 29, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

1. A library book -- not sure yet :)

2. A detective novel or true crime book -- The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America or Columbine or Murder on the Orient Express

3. A book about reading or writing -- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft or Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore or Books for Living

4. A book set somewhere you've never been -- The Secret History or Norwegian Wood

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend -- Love in the Time of Cholera or Pride and Prejudice

6. A book with an animal on the cover -- Straight Man or Salvage the Bones or A Walk in the Woods or The World According to Garp

7. A graphic novel -- The Complete Maus or American Born Chinese

8. An essay or short story collection -- The World-Ending Fire or Dear Life: Stories

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you -- Americanah or An Artist of the Floating World

10. A book about a topic in the news -- Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City or Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption

11. A book published the year you were born -- Desert Solitaire or The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018 -- American Heart or The Painter

message 3: by Maisy (new)

Maisy (maisyreads) | 4 comments 1. A library book- Undecided!
2. A detective novel or true crime book- Lethal White
3. A book about reading or writing- The Librarian of Auschwitz
4. A book set somewhere you've never been- Girls Burn Brighter
5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend- This Savage Song
6. A book with an animal on the cover- Sing, Unburied, Sing
7. A graphic novel- March: Book Three
8. An essay or short story collection- The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you- Young Jane Young
10. A book about a topic in the news- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
11. A book published the year you were born- Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018-The Cruel Prince

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Totally didn't remember that "Sing, Unburied, Sing" has a bird on the cover. That's a great pick! :)

message 5: by Diane (last edited Jan 10, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Diane Morrill (diane_morrill) | 2 comments 1. A library book - this will be my "easy" pick and will decide when I'm at the library.
2. A detective novel or true crime - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
3. A book about reading or writing - Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life
4. A book set somewhere you've never been - The Summer Before the War
5. done - A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend - Fahrenheit 451
6. A book with an animal on the cover - a few ideas for this one - The Wind in the Willows or Kaspar the Titanic Cat
7. done - A graphic novel - [[book:I Am Princess X|17408897]
8. An essay or short story collection - I Was Told There'd Be Cake (a book club pick) or Uncommon Type: Some Stories
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you - The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds
10. A book about a topic in the news - The Hate U Give
11. A book published the year you were born - 84, Charing Cross Road
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018 - The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

message 6: by Kim (last edited Dec 29, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

Kim  Brown (mistressofromance) | 1 comments 1. A library book
2. A detective novel or true crime book The Chalk Man
7. A graphic novel Watchmen
10. A book about a topic in the news The Hate U Give
11. A book published the year you were born Smiley's People

message 7: by Celine (last edited Dec 29, 2017 07:30PM) (new)

Celine (goodreadscomcdb393) | 14 comments These are all just my first ideas and very subject to change. I'm toying with the idea of doing two for each category.
1.A Library Book- The Lost Plot, The Power, or Magpie Murders
2. A detective novel or true crime book- Murder at the Vicarage, The Complete Sherlock Holmes, or The Complete Father Brown
3. A book about reading or writing- The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life, or On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
4. A book set somewhere you’ve never been- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, The Lowland, A Passage to India, or I Capture the Castle
5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend- Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders (this may be changed to the true crime category)
6. A book with an animal on the cover- The Good Luck of Right Now, Mudbound (my copy has a bird on the cover), or Reservation Blues
7. A graphic novel- The Complete Maus or March: Book One
8. An essay or short story collection- The Martian Chronicles
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you- Native Son or The Learning Tree
10. A book about a topic in the news- Maybe Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body, but this one is very up in the air
11. A book published the year you were born- Wild Seed
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018- I'll probably wait until closer to the end of the year to pick this one.

message 8: by Jake (last edited Dec 29, 2017 08:22PM) (new)

Jake Hawkins (jakethehawk) | 3 comments 1. A library book: TBD

2. A detective novel or true crime book: No Saints in Kansas

3. A book about reading or writing: Zen in the Art of Writing

4. A book set somewhere you've never been: The Girl Who Played with Fire

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend: The Legacy

6. A book with an animal on the cover: Martin the Warrior

7. A graphic novel: I own a combined version of The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages that I have yet to read.

8. An essay or short story collection: Realms of Valor

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: Esperanza Rising

10. A book about a topic in the news: TBD

11. A book published the year you were born: The Dragon Reborn

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018: TBD

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina Qualls (libteachmom) | 1 comments 1. A library book
YEAR ONE by Nora Roberts (I already have it on hold at WPL)

BOOKS by Larry McMurtry
4. A book set somewhere you’ve never been
KITE RUNNER or ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK

7. A graphic novel

SULA by Toni Morrison

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1966)
MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner

message 10: by Keely (new)

Keely (ks_piper) | 2 comments 2018 #ReadICT Challenge List

1. A library book: I’ll pick something up at random this year.

2. A detective novel or true crime book: The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer (been a TBR for a long time).

3. A book about reading or writing: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (been a TBR forever and will be at my house today!

4. A book set somewhere you’ve never been: Running on the Roof of the World (takes place in Tibet)

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend: Beat not the Poor Desk by Marie Ponsot-Rosemary Deen (recommended by my Mom).

6. A book with an animal on the cover: Spliced by Jon McGoran (a cameleon)

7. A graphic novel: Piper by Jay Asher

8. An essay or short story collection: Her Body and other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado - heard a lot of good press about this one.

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed

10. A book about a topic in the news: Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud: The Rise and Reign of Unruly Woman by Anne Helen Petersen

11. A book published the year you were born: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

message 11: by Maisy (new)

Maisy (maisyreads) | 4 comments Suzanne wrote: "Totally didn't remember that "Sing, Unburied, Sing" has a bird on the cover. That's a great pick! :)"

I'm excited to read it!

message 12: by Keely (new)

Keely (ks_piper) | 2 comments Maisy wrote: "1. A library book- Undecided!
2. A detective novel or true crime book- Lethal White
3. A book about reading or writing- The Librarian of Auschwitz
4. A book set some..."

The Language of Thorns is positively lovely! Bardugo is one of my favorite authors and not only is the book a feast for the eyes, but I love the stories themselves.

message 13: by Caitlin (last edited Jan 02, 2018 08:40PM) (new)

Caitlin (catielane) √1. A library book - Wandering Son, Vol. 2
2. A detective novel or true crime book - Death in the Air: The True Story of a Serial Killer, the Great London Smog, and the Strangling of a City
3. A book about reading or writing - 84, Charing Cross Road
4. A book set somewhere you've never been - Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West
5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend - The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil
6. A book with an animal on the cover - Finding Gobi: The true story of a little dog and an incredible journey
√ 7. A graphic novel - Wandering Son, Vol. 1
8. An essay or short story collection - The Last Black Unicorn
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you - Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass
10. A book about a topic in the news -
11. A book published the year you were born - Freak the Mighty
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018 - The Yard

message 14: by Maureen (last edited Jan 01, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Maureen Corcoran | 1 comments Here is what I have so far based on the books I've already accumulated.

1. A library book: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

2. A detective novel or true crime book: If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio

3. A book about reading or writing: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

4. A book set somewhere you've never been: The Door by Magda Szabo (set in Hungary)

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend: Undetermined but it will probably be one of the books from my book club

6. A book with an animal on the cover: Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero (has a dog and Cthulhu)

7. A graphic novel: The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media by Brooke Gladstone (not fiction but it is primarily written as a comic strip)

8. An essay or short story collection: The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaimain

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande

10. A book about a topic in the news: Undetermined

11. A book published the year you were born (1977): Undetermined but maybe The Thornbirds, Bridge to Terabithia, The Shining, The Amityville Horror

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018: Undetermined...I'll wait to see what Watermark Books organizes

message 15: by Connie (last edited Jan 10, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Connie Kelley | 1 comments First thoughts...

1. A library book
2. A detective novel or true crime bookKillers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
3. A book about reading or writingThe Fiction Class
4. A book set somewhere you've never beenBurial Rites
5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friendThe Girl with All the Gifts
6. A book with an animal on the coverAnimal Farm
7. A graphic novel
8. An essay or short story collectionThe Martian Chronicles
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than youA Gathering of Old Men
10. A book about a topic in the newsEvicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
11. A book published the year you were bornGoodbye, Columbus and Five Short Stories
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018The Chaperone

message 16: by Marty (new)

Marty (mwarke) | 5 comments 1. A library book

2. A detective novel or true crime

4. Book set somewhere you’ve never been

5. A book recommended/given/loaned you by a friend

6. Book with an animal on the cover

7. A graphic novel

message 17: by Laura (last edited Mar 20, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Laura | 1 comments 1. A library book: TBD

2. A detective novel or true crime book: Columbine or Murder on the Orient Express

3. A book about reading or writing: The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

4. A book set somewhere you've never been: Red Rising

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend: A Court of Thorns and Roses

6. A book with an animal on the cover: Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things or Sing, Unburied, Sing

7. A graphic novel: Speak: The Graphic Novel

8. An essay or short story collection: Why Not Me?

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: The Kite Runner

10. A book about a topic in the news: The Hate U Give or Dear Martin

11. A book published the year you were born (1988): Briar Rose

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018: The Cruel Prince

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin Glenn-Miller | 1 comments 1. A library book

2. A detective novel or true crime book — The House of Unexpected Sisters

3. A book about reading or writing — The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

4. A book set somewhere you’ve never been

7. A graphic novel

9. A book by an author of different ethnicity than you

11. A book published the year you were born — Less Than Angels

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisamc) | 5 comments Y'all are so organized! I kind of decided as I went along in 2017 and didn't settle on my last two books until November.

message 20: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 12, 2018 07:39PM) (new)

Elizabeth Hesseltine 1. A library book - Second Grave on the Left E-books are awesome! Thanks Wichita Public Library and Overdrive!

2. A detective novel or true crime book - S is for Silence Rest in peace, Sue Grafton.

3. A book about reading or writing - The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend Every "book nerd" should read this!

4. A book set somewhere you've never been - (New Jersey) Ten Big Ones My first Stephanie Plum. Hilarious!

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend - Yes Please My dear friend Delynn gave this to me for Christmas.

6. A book with an animal on the cover - Lucky Us - This has a zebra and a lion walking on a tightrope on the cover, but it's not about a zebra, a lion, or a circus.

7. A graphic novel - Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? - A great book about some difficult topics.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina Wells | 1 comments I also am just going with the flow and take it where it leads. So many books, so little time.

message 22: by Ami (last edited Jan 10, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

Ami | 1 comments 1. A library book - Strange Weather by Joe Hill (Done)

2. A detective novel or true crime book - Black Dahlia, Red Rose: The Crime, Corruption, and Cover-Up of America's Greatest Unsolved Murder by Piu Eatwell (currently reading)

3. A book about reading or writing - A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Love and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books by Harold Rainbowitz

4. A book set somewhere you've never been Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend - Conquistador: Hernán Cortés, King Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs by Buddy Levy

6. A book with an animal on the cover - The Reign of the Greyhound by Cynthia A. Branigan , OR Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature by Susan Davis, OR Domesticated: Evolution in a Man-Made World by Richard Francis, OR The Lost History of the Canine Race: Our 15,000-Year Love Affair With Dogs by Mary Elizabeth Thurston

7. A graphic novel - not sure yet

8. An essay or short story collection - Dark Cities

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you - I don't know... how do I find a book by someone who is a different ethnicity? I never pay attention to that sort of thing...

10. A book about a topic in the news - Not sure yet...

11. A book published the year you were born - The Lair ( Rats #2) by James Herbert OR The Ancient Enemy by Donald Thompson ( 1979)

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018 - The Maze Runner by James Dashner

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments 1. A library book
5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend - Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
7. A graphic novel
11. A book published the year you were born - East of Eden by John Steinbeck

message 24: by Calla (new)

Calla | 2 comments My list. I’ve decided to read one challenge book a month, and to only decide on the next book each month. I guess I want to savor the experience!

1. A library book. TBD
2. A detective novel or true crime book. TBD
3. A book about reading or writing. TBD
4. A book set somewhere you’ve never been. Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in
Italy by Frances Mayes
5. A book recommended, given, or loaned to you by a friend. TBD
6. A book with an animal on the cover. TBD
7. A graphic novel. TBD
8. An essay or short story collection. TBD
9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you. TBD
10. A book about a topic in the news. TBD
11. A book published the year you were born. The Darkness and the Dawn by
Thomas B. Costain
12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018. On Gold Mountain by Lisa
See
I’m excited to participate in this year’s challenge!

message 25: by Shawna (last edited Aug 25, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

Shawna Seed (skseed) | 2 comments 1. A library book: The Book of Speculation, by Erika Swyler. Finished 8.16.18.

2. A detective novel or true crime book: The Man in the Crooked Hat, by Harry Dolan. Finished 2.7.18.

3. A book about reading or writing: TBD

4. A book set somewhere you've never been: Waking Lions, by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen. Set in Israel. Finished 6.30.18.

5. A book recommended/given/loaned to you by a friend: TBD

6. A book with an animal on the cover: The Removes by Tatjana Soli. Horse on the cover. Finished 6.8.18.

7. A graphic novel: Can I count Roz Chast's Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?

8. An essay or short story collection: TBD

9. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you: So You Want to Talk about Race, by Ijeoma Oluo. Finished 2.11.18. Highly recommended!

10. A book about a topic in the news: I'll Be Gone in the Dark, by Michelle McNamara. Finished 3.11.18. Chilling.

11. A book published the year you were born: TBD

12. A book by an author slated to visit Wichita in 2018: TBD

message 26: by Morghan (new)

Morghan Chambers | 3 comments 2018 books-
1. Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters at the End by Atul Gwande, MD*
2.Still Life by Louise Penney
3.On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King*
4. The Other Typist by Suzanne Randell
5. Dragon'sTeeth by Michael Crichton
6.I Want my Hat Back by Jon Klassen
7.A Cautioner's Tale by RM Wilburn
8.Essays on Humanism by Albert Einstein*