Start by marking “Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)

Red Rising (Red Rising #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  111,821 Ratings  ·  14,313 Reviews
"I live for the dream that my children will be born free," she says. "That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them."

"I live for you," I say sadly.

Eo kisses my cheek. "Then you must live for more."

Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing t
Published January 28th 2014 by Del Rey (Random House)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Red Rising by Pierce Brown
    Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)
    Release date: Jan 28, 2014
    ***10 Trade Paperbacks Available***

In IRON GOLD, on sale January 2018, Pierce Brown will expand the size and scope of his #1 New York Times bestsellin

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 11208 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 03 - Apr 03, 2017

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Red Rising, please sign up.

Kristine I'm a professional format editor. I can tell you from experience that the same text translated from English to Spanish takes up more space. Not sure…moreI'm a professional format editor. I can tell you from experience that the same text translated from English to Spanish takes up more space. Not sure if it's because their words tend to be longer, or if it's all the masculine and feminine articles that we don't use in English that add in more words, but there you have it. (less)
    Wendy Bloink Pinks are sterilized in order to create new pinks they are created in a lab. It explains in detail in the novels I recommend reading them.. If…morePinks are sterilized in order to create new pinks they are created in a lab. It explains in detail in the novels I recommend reading them.. If re-reading to find your answers (less)

Navessa
    May 29, 2013 Navessa rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: EVERYONE WITH EYEBALLS
    *I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review and honestly? I BLOODYDAMN LOVED IT*

You think you’ve read a dystopian book? Quit lying to yourself. That was teenage angst wrapped in a shiny new package, cashing in on the popularity of this genre.

You think you’ve read about evil futuristic regimes? Nope, those were one dimensional villains that will look cartoony compared the assholes in this book.

You think you’ve seen hurt and suffering and despair and heartache? You’ve seen nothing.

You th
    Rick Riordan
    Dec 28, 2015 Rick Riordan rated it it was amazing
    (Minor spoilers follow) Red Rising introduces us to Darrow, a sixteen-year-old miner who toils deep in the mines of Mars a few hundred years in the future. In Darrow's world, humanity has spread across the solar system, and has been organized into a strict caste system of colors, with Gold at the top and Red at the bottom. Darrow is a Red, but he is making the most of his hard life in the mines. He is good at his work. He has a beautiful wife Eo (they get married young and die young down in the ...more
    Khanh (the Grinch)
    Actual rating: 2.5
    “Darrow. Come here. Come.” He grabs my shoulder and pulls me in. “Others may have failed. But you’ll be different, Darrow. I feel it in my bones.”
    I'm sorry, was I supposed to feel something?

I suppose boredom is a feeling. Not a single tear was shed. Not for a single instance was a single emotion heightened. It was by no means a bad book, but the message got lost in the telling, and there is just. So. Much. Telling. The writing is fantastic, but the plot just didn't work for
    Patrick
    Sep 17, 2016 Patrick rated it it was amazing
    I picked up Red Rising because a *lot* of the people at Worldbuilders were goofy over the books, and, by extension, the author Pierce Brown.

Earlier this year, when I went to a convention where he was going to be in attendance, the Worldbuilders team told me that if I didn't capture Pierce like a Pokemon and bring him back to the office with me, I shouldn't bother coming home at all....

I got to hang out with Pierce there, and he was irritatingly polite, witty, and charming. That, combined with th
    Kat O'Keeffe
    Dec 25, 2014 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it
    This was a little bit difficult for me to get into--lots of world building and unique vocab--but once I settled into the story, I started to really enjoy it! I definitely get the comparison to The Hunger Games, and thought it also felt similar to Divergent and even The Son of Neptune at times, but it's still very different and original. I didn't really connect emotionally to the main character, but I did still like watching his journey. Gritty and intense and very entertaining! A strong start to ...more
    Emily May
    Jun 03, 2013 Emily May rated it liked it
    Shelves: sci-fi, arc, 2013
    “I am the Reaper and death is my shadow.”

2 1/2 stars. Red Rising isn't really a bad book - 2.5 stars still means halfway between "it was ok" and "I liked it", after all. And many other reviews will tell you how amazing most people found it, but I struggled to locate the magic that so many other people seem to have found within its pages.

Red Rising is considered and marketed as dystopian/sci-fi, which technically it is, but it reads with a dense wordiness that is reminiscent of high fantasy n
    Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
    1/27/16 - Updated Review:

Pierce Brown would be a Gold in the society he built, and it kind of pisses me off.

This is the third time I've read RED RISING, it's the first time I've read it since reading GOLDEN SON, and, more than ever, I'm convinced he's a bloodydamn genius.

AND he's beautiful.

It's not fair.

You don't get to be brilliant AND talented AND have those eyes AND those arms:

YOU'RE WELCOME.

In heels, I might be taller than him, but who the hell cares in the face of ALL THE OTHER THINGS?

Ev
    Dorreh
    Dec 11, 2014 Dorreh rated it really liked it
    It's like The Martian marries the hunger games, then the hunger games gets into an affair with the game of Thrones.
    I think that speaks for itself, but let's elaborate further just for the sake of my sanity shall we??

I want to first of all point out what really gripped me in this book, because even though I liked it very much, I was 30% confusion, 20% outrage, 50% admiration. I'm not to great at math, but thats a 100% of how I felt. The gripping part to me was not the romance( which was pretty g
    Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySkanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads
    BIGGGGGG DNF

Holy effing hell, people.

Or should. I say. Holy. Effing. Helldiver.

All I can say is...

description

Seriously though, I was expecting some uber Sci-Fi awesomeness here and I feel like I got shafted with some broke ass YA that took itself waaaaaaay too seriously without having any actual sincerity.

There is NO way I could have been reading the same book as everyone else.

That's gotta be it.

My local library must have accidentally supplied me with the staccato-speak, melodramatic version of this th
    Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
    2nd read:
    I'm a dumbass. I fully admit to being a dumbass.

I don't know what the hell I was doing the first time I read this book..because I gave it 3.5 stars. After reading so many shitty books this year I know now what a great book this really is.

This time it gets it's full five stars. Five frigging, huge, screaming stars. Stars for SeVRo, Pax, Mustang and the rest of these characters.

1st read: When I was a dumbass.
    Unpopular opinion time. I'm sorry fangirls. I just didn't love this book.

I did
    Petrik
    Oct 06, 2016 Petrik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Sci-Fi & Dystopian fans
    4.5/5 Stars

Buddy reading this with my favorites:
    Sweet Mary, Sister Sarah, Tweebie, Jennymort, Innocent May

Let’s get the two most asked questions about this book out of the way first.

1. Is this book geared towards YA audience?
    No, it’s not. The only thing that fits the YA genre on this book is that Darrow’s (The MC) age starts at 16 years old in the beginning, that’s it. Everything else from the writing, plot, world building are definitely in adult territory.

2. Is this book really similar to The
    Darth J

Red Rising reads like a 12 year old boy’s fever script for an action movie. It lacks originality and borrows heavily from The Hunger Games. Don’t believe me? Both have a society split up into different fractions, depending on what they provide the world. Both have arenas with teens killing each other, while patrons look on and provide gifts for their favored participants. Both have protagonists who have signature weapons from a hunter/gatherer society. There are a few differences, but it’s the s
    Kimi

Holy bloody gory damn shit. This book you guys.

THIS. BOOK.

I feel like Darrow would benefit from some basic life advice so here it goes.

Basic Life Advice 101.
    (view spoiler)
    Lola  Reviewer
    description

This is the kind of book that truly makes you feel somehow...bad for only giving it 2 stars. It’s like it deserves more, even though I didn’t actually enjoy reading it. It’s a weird feeling but I have to face my thoughts: the story was mostly boring and I struggled to finish it.

The weirdest thing is that I LOVED the beginning and where the plot seemed to be going. We met some incredible and unique characters, at that point of the story. I wished for them to be present in it throughout the book.
    Natasha Polis
    Jan 15, 2014 Natasha Polis rated it it was amazing
    One of the most exciting books I've read in awhile! So glad I finished it now I can talk to Pierce about his book! Book talk coming soon on my channel!
    ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
    Mammoth buddy read with my Fantasy Buddy Reads confederates starting Jan. 2, 2015.

Rating: 1.5

Brace yourselves, this is not going to go well.

YES, I only gave this book 1.5 stars when most of you freaks out there gave it a 5 star rating. But it could have been worse and I'm actually marvelling at the fact that I was able to finish the book at all. Granted, I skimmed through most of the last chapters because there is only so much boredom I can take.

First off, let's get something straight: when ever
    Sana  Khalid °¤°
    Initial Reaction:
    *screams and throws book across the room*
    WTF I WAS SUPPOSED TO LOVE THIS. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AS GOOD AS THE AUTHORS FACE.

I am so disappointed and was not expecting to be DYING OF BOREDOM.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

Here is my rant:

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, but when it hit around the 80 page mark, I started to lose interest and get bored. I know, for many people the first 70 or 80 pages were very boring and it got bet
    мαүғℓσωεя

Buddy read with literally everyone (except Yammy bc she's a hater): Em, Mary, Jia, Ry, Tweebs, Caitlin, Jenn, Petrik, Luna, Amber

DNF @ 7%

Personally, I feel that New Year resolutions are just lies that people feed themselves to feel productive while they continue living their life the exact way they always had.

But this year, I promised myself I would not confine myself to trash sulking when there’s so much the world has to offer.

So here we are, DNFing an extremely popular book 9 days
    Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
    Dec 26, 2016 Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee) rated it really liked it
    Shelves: favorites, adult, owned
    ❝I will rise. I will attend the Academy. I will learn to lead fleets. I will win. I will sharpen myself into a sword. I will give my soul. I will dive to hell in hopes of one day rising to freedom. I will sacrifice.❞

HOLY CRAP. What a ride. I don't even know where to begin! I knew there had to be a reason why everyone was talking about this series but WOW. Red Rising was really something else. I expected a typical YA "chosen one" type of fantasy novel but this book was so much more complex th
    Robin (Bridge Four)
    I might have liked this even more the second time through. Fantastic.
     photo highsix_zpsab9390d3.gif

Dystopian novels seem to be a dime a dozen lately, some good, some horrible, so it is great to see a book set itself apart and really capture my imagination. Red Rising is a combination of The Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies if you turned the volume up to 11.

I am the spark that will set the worlds afire. I am the hammer that cracks the chains.

The beginning was a little predictable, I mean to create a man with an epic que
    Anne
    I just did a re-read to prep myself for Golden Son.
    *squeals*
    For me, it was definitely the right choice.
    I would have missed a lot of references...mainly, because my tiny dinosaur brain can't hold onto/recall information like it used to.
    So.
    Was it still as good as I remembered?

Original 2013 review:

This review can also be seen at Addicted2Heroines.
    There's a lot of hype surrounding this book, and for once it's totally deserved.
    How often can you really say that?!
    When I first started reading it, I w
    Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin

For whatever reason I loved the first part of the book better then the last part. I thought it was going to be a cool underground Mars weird thing. I'm the weird thing, I know. =)

I loved Darrow and a lot of other characters but I never wrote any down but Darrow. Omg! I don't know what is wrong with me. Why can't I remember them, uh, because most of them I can't even pronounce, much less think of how to spell them!

I loved that Darrow was a Helldiver <--- that so doesn't sound right! He and hi
    ☽Luna☾
    Jan 05, 2017 ☽Luna☾ rated it really liked it
    Shelves: good-shit, badassery
    4 GOLDEN STARS ★★★★

"I am the Reaper and death is my shadow."

description

I have had Red Rising on my shelf for quite a while now and never picked it up. I was really put off by the fact it is shelved as a YA book, a few friends mentioned reading it and I thought "why not?". After 20 or so pages I thought "meh" then around 40 pages in I got a pleasant surprise and a taste of how brutal the story is, this drew me in and I was then on addicted. You know it's a great story if the author has you smitten over
    Kai
    Apr 05, 2015 Kai rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2016
    “I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.”

A man, whose life is about to change in every way possible. From the bones of his body to the colour of his eyes, from the place he lives to the way he talks. He's got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I was incredibly intruiged to start this series. I watched Red Rising go from underrated to hyped and now that the final installment of the series was released, I had to give it a try as well.
    I first started the book and put it down
    Steph Sinclair
    This is the first review I've ever written where I'm leaving a book unrated. I both loved and hated this book equally. There were parts that really frustrated me, bored me, excited me, and completely hooked me. I'm not even sure what Red Rising is really classified as. One half of the book feels very Dystopian/sci-fi while the other half reads like an entirely different genre, perhaps High Fantasy. If I were to even attempt to describe what this book is I'd say image Gladiator and Lord of the Fl ...more
    Trudi

Oh my aching, bloodydamn, gory balls!!

No please, I insist: allow me to put myself out of my own damn misery.

#repetitive, #infodumps, #shallow world-building, #repetitive, #show don't tell, #horrible characters, #repetitive, #stupid lingo, #boring, #made me want to hurt myself, #made me want to hurt somebody else #and this won an award? #you suck but not as much as this book, #when good ideas go very bad, #maybe i'm just bitter #am i drunk? #i wish i was drunk
    April
    Feb 05, 2017 April rated it it was amazing
    Definitely surprised me with how good this book was.
    Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
    Jan 03, 2017 Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ rated it really liked it
    Shelves: favorites, audiobook, 2017
    Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Ok, so following Petrik's lead from his review, I want to go ahead and address the similarities between this book and The Hunger Games series.

There are comparisons you can make, but I feel like Red Rising took the extra step that The Hunger Games should have taken in order to really have an impact.

Similarities:
    ~ Futuristic dystopian society organized according to caste system.
    ~ Children placed in a combative, life or death situations for political reasons.
    ~ Main charac
    mark monday
    Dec 11, 2015 mark monday rated it really liked it
    Shelves: futuristik, teenworld
    I thought I'd read a chapter or two before going to bed last night. now it's after 7 am; oops I forgot to go to sleep. it was worth it.

anyway.

so I met this kid named Red Rising by Pierce Brown. right off the bat there was a lot about him that I liked. he enjoyed the game of imagining a society stratified into different groupings based on profession and figuring out how that stratified society would look; he chose the color method as the way he'd group people together. I'm a Virgo so I'm all abou
    Faye, la Patata
    EDIT: READ THIS FOR THE SECOND TIME IN PREPARATION FOR MORNING STAR AND IT WAS JUST AS GLORIOUS AS THE FIRST TIME. Like bloody hell, Darrow is a Gary Stu in all manners and forms but I am just SO addicted to this series!!!!

Read this and my other reviews at The Social Potato!

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.

WOW. JUST... WOW.

And here I thought I've read all sorts of dystopians out there. Here I was, egoistically thinking I know the
    • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
    • Salvage
    • Coda (Coda, #1)
    • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    • Firefight (Reckoners, #2)
    • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
    • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
    • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
    • Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5)
    • The Red: First Light
    • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
    • Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)
    • Archetype (Archetype, #1)
    • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
    • Winterlong (Winterlong, #1)
    • Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3)
    • Genesis
    Pierce Brown's first novel, RED RISING (Del Rey Books), debuts January 28, 2014. It is the first installment in The Red Rising Trilogy.

Pierce Brown spent his childhood building forts and setting traps for his cousins in the woods of six states and the deserts of two. Graduating college in 2010, he fancied the idea of continuing his studies at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Unfortunate
    More about Pierce Brown...

Red Rising (3 books)
    • Golden Son (Red Rising, #2)
    • Morning Star (Red Rising, #3)

“You do not follow me because I am the strongest. Pax is. You do not follow me because I am the brightest. Mustang is. You follow me because you do not know where you are going. I do.” 506 likes
    “I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.” 410 likes