Start by marking “Speak: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Speak: The Graphic Novel

Speak: The Graphic Novel

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  10,951 ratings  ·  1,855 reviews
The modern classic Speak is now a graphic novel.

"Speak up for yourself-we want to know what you have to say."

From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless--an outcast--because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so now nobody will talk to her,
Published February 6th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about Speak, please sign up.
Sylvie No, you wouldn't really miss out on anything. The graphic novel is a very true adaptation of the original. A few differences here and there--some mode…moreNo, you wouldn't really miss out on anything. The graphic novel is a very true adaptation of the original. A few differences here and there--some modernization and things that just had to change for a graphic novel format--but the story is the same and delivers the same important message. In my opinion, Melinda's voice feels more powerful in the original (probably because her voice, her narration, is all we get), but the graphic novel has stunning art and the visual aspect adds a different layer to the story. As a huge fan of this book, I would recommend reading both versions at least once in your life, though. :)(less)

·  10,951 ratings  ·  1,855 reviews

Start your review of Speak: The Graphic Novel
Cristina Monica
It’s rare for me to enjoy an adaptation more than the original version of the story, but I found this graphic novel adapted from the novel Speak twice as affective as the book itself.

It affected me.

As I read this story, I thought about why that is. I was never raped. I was never close to being raped. I was touched inappropriately by guys and men without my permission, but certainly nothing like Melinda endured.

But it’s such a universal theme – consent.

Everyone, whether you’re a boy or a girl, a
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Content warnings: sexual assault, self-harm, depression, anxiety, PTSD, victim-shaming

“When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.”

I first picked up a copy of Speak at the library some time in the very early 2000s, when I wish I’d been too young to know how the world worked, the ways in which it chewed children up and spat them back out. Sadly, I was one of many children who learned these things early, and Speak made me feel acknowledged. I remember thinking, for th
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
So, this movie is one of my favorite movies. I didn’t like the book as much but still gave it 5 stars. But this graphic novel was fantastic. Broke my heart, like the movie. How Mel makes it through her rape.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
David Schaafsma
"I said no."--Melinda

11/8/18: Three times read in one year??! But this is how you can build up your Goodreads numbers, kids. . . :) In my Fall YA class we read the original 1999 by Anderson and in our discussion of the book we drew some of Emily Carroll's images and talked about how that felt, and what we thought illustrator Emily Carroll was trying to accomplish by adding images to the story. A couple of my students preferred the original book (with no pictures). This might be a typical English
sally♡
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I said no."

WOWOWOWOWOWOW.

This was one of those books where you can't stop reading it because it's amazing and like when you're not reading you're thinking about it, wishing you were reading it.

It was SO powerful. I'm totally glad I read it. I don't really have a review for this, but it really is amazing, PLUS Emily Carroll's art brings it to life.

Christy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
“It happened. There is no avoiding it, no forgetting. No running away, or flying, or burying, or hiding.”

The graphic novel of Speak was equal parts beautiful and devastating. The art work was wonderful, but the story hurt my heart. I haven’t actually read the book, so it was new to me. This is by no means an easy read, but I think it’s one that needs to be read.
Mara YA Mood Reader
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
TW: Illustrations of self-harm, rape, depression

This graphic novel version of Speak is absolutely incredible. The graphics are triggering and jarring, I felt it was quite bold to illustrate scenes of rape and self harm and it rather shocked me to see that, especially in a YA novel.

But it was also moving. I felt a lot while reading this. More so than when I had watched the film adaptation years ago. The depictions of Melinda’s wrists being held down and mouth covered were jarring and brought te
emilie.❤
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
If you're a fan of the original novel, you are going to adore the graphic novel.

The art is flawless. Every setting, character and emotion looks just how I pictured them. Kristen Stewart was great in the movie, though the Melinda depicted here is more accurate to how she briefly described herself in the book. I enjoyed the little background details, like Melinda's tree sketches on her bedroom walls and the TV in the living room during Christmas.

While I have never experienced assault myself and
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

I read this based on a recommendation from a coworker and I really enjoyed it. Speak was a book that came out when I was in middle school and I remember reading and loving it at the time. So much so I even have the movie with Kristen Stewart on DVD. Hardcore, I know LOL.

So 15ish years later and reading the graphic novel reminded me of why I love this story and the character of Melinda and her struggle. I feel she represents a lot of girls and women, too many sadly. But she's empathic a
Kelli
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
5 stars for the simple fact that this exists. It is desperately needed and in graphic novel form, it presents a different, deeper story than the original by illustrating what the silent victim-turned-survivor is feeling. Any and all resources are sorely needed to help our children navigate trauma. This book will help others heal the broken parts of themselves and feel less alone.
Schizanthus Nerd
If ever a story seemed destined to become a graphic novel, it’s Speak, which I finally read for the first time less than two months ago, and it was everything! I feared I’d Humpty Dumpty while reading Speak, which is why it took so long for me to gather the courage to finally begin reading it. I wish I’d had a Speak to tell me I wasn’t alone when I was Melinda’s age.

I asked my library to buy this graphic novel for me and they did! I love my library! I was under the delusion that I’d read this on
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
SPEAK is one of the most important books ever written for young adults. It was a first dealing with date rape, years before #MeToo . Laurie Halse Anderson captured Melinda’s quiet vulnerability and burgeoning voice with enough sarcasm to feel authentic, making Melinda’s pain even more poignant.

Because of Melinda’s artwork and art as a metaphor, SPEAK transfers seamlessly to a graphic novel. Emily Carroll’s illustrations brought the characters to life. I’ve seen the movie, listened to the audio a
Mackenzie Lane
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to wrap Melinda in a big, fresh out of the dryer blanket & spoon feed her chocolate ice cream while we watch The Princess Bride because she needs a friend who would do that for her!!

This story is important and strong. It's heartbreaking, but it brings to light a struggle that I personally, have never had to endure, and it's a struggle that should never leave the victim feeling powerless or ashamed or isolated.

I liked that the graphic novel didn't focus solely on what happened to Melinda
K. Elizabeth
I really flew through this one! If you enjoyed the novel Speak, this is just as good.
Rida Imran
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
I said No

A few years back my friend lent me her copy of Speak and I read it and loved it and believed it should be taught in schools.

A few months back a saw a copy Speak the graphic novel it was beautiful I knew I had to get it. I'm so glad I did. I loved this. The art in this book spoke volumes and just added a whole new layer of even more feelings to the story. I want to applaud Emily Carroll for this.

I have never been raped or close to that situation. But I have been harassed. And during t
nova ryder ☼
The art really took this from a 4 to a 5. Laurie Halse Anderson is coming to my library in two weeks so I’m definitely going to have to buy a copy of this and have her sign it.

RTC
Scott
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes I think high school is one long hazing activity. If you're tough enough to survive this, they'll let you become an adult . . . I hope it's worth it." - Melinda Sordino

Powerfully succinct graphic novel adaptation of the popular young adult best-seller, illustrated in a sparse black / white / gray format that seemed appropriate for the dark story, that is more timely than ever during the on-going issues in the entertainment industry.
James DeSantis
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
My wife was reading the actual novel and it looked good so figured I'd borrow from the Library the graphic novel.

This is a tale of a girl going through her first year at high school. Beyond friends betraying friends, weird social issues, fitting in, and more you get a darker and deeper story here. Melinda is raped the summer before high school and she keeps it all in because it's hard to talk about the events. Physically, emotionally and honestly a survival tale, this is Melinda story of how to
Courtney
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time when I was 14 or 15. It was really great to read it again in graphic novel-form.
Amelia's Fantastical Bookends
Just as heart-wrenching and harrowing as the first time I read it.
Anderson' prose combined with Emily Carroll's illustrations bring this book to life in an intensely gripping and creative way; the story itself holds up as the reader is transported into Melinda's world.

This book explores the topic of rape and how it changes the entire world of one girl's life; from the truly dark to the growth that can come from being a survivor from a traumatic situation.

Laurie Halse Anderson wrote a short prol
kaysmagiclibrary &#x1f4ab;
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
HERE ME OUT NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THIS BOOK, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING BUT I HAD TO RETURN IT TO THE LIBRARY SO I DIDN'T GET TO FINISH IT 😭 and there's no way of getting another copy anytime soon so I have to stop half through :/
Lauren
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I have no words to capture what I am feeling right now.
All you need to know is that Speak is an incredibly powerful and moving story which deserves to be read by all. I am covered in goosebumps!

RTC
Obsidian
Trigger warning: Rape

I don’t know what to say. I loved “Speak” when I read it back in 2015. I felt for Melinda and wanted to hug her throughout the story and loved how Anderson takes a long road to showing us what happened to Melinda and how her life became unraveled before her freshman year of high school. The graphic novel does a great job with showing us Melinda in the present day and her memories of her friends and of a party that changed everything via the illustrations by Emily Carroll. Th
Kim
How can this book be so great? I know the story, the ending, and yet I was gripped with emotions on every spread. I feel lacerated anew to experience Melinda's story in a new, wholly amazing way. The art is PERFECT. The script is perfectly chosen for the medium. It really is a new book.

A seven on the Orbiting Jupiter scale. Five tissues and two ugly cries (the last page and when Melinda sees her art teacher in Cubist form. . . so powerful.)
Stacy Fetters
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Wow, you get the same emotional feel as the novel. It was absolutely heartbreaking and just as beautiful.

If you love the original novel, you will fall in love all over again with the graphic novel retelling. You get the same story but modernized. I think moving it into this generation made it that much more appealing.

If someone hurts you in any kind of way, speak up. Never stay silent. We are listening and we believe you!

Rod Brown
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this adaptation more than the original book. (I read the two back-to-back.) The adaptation flows along more quickly and Emily Carroll's art enhances the story considerably.
Kristen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ending gave me chills.
Zack Jay
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I said no."

wow, I am just wowed. this is really beautifully written and illustrated. i really don't know how to describe it so I'll just not it 💀

consent is everything.

trigger warnings - sexual assault, PTSD, depression, victim-shaming, illustrations of self harm
Biz
uh, so that was amazing. also my first five-star read of 2018!

full rtc
Gary Anderson
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I learned a few months ago that Laurie Halse Anderson’s 1999 YA classic Speak was being adapted as a graphic novel, I assumed it would be just that, an adaptation. The new version of Speak is more than that though. Way more.

Speak: The Graphic Novel is still the story of Melinda, a freshman who was raped at a party and is now ostracized at school because she summoned police to the party. The art teacher is still here, and the tree is still significant. This re-telling of Speak retains all th
Get Graphic: #20 - Speak 1 6 Mar 27, 2018 06:23PM

• They Called Us Enemy
  • White Bird
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE! SHOUT, my memoir in verse, is out, has received 9 starred reviews, and was longlisted for the National Book Award!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is a New York Times b