Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)

The Complete Sherlock Holmes

(Sherlock Holmes)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  154,545 ratings  ·  3,363 reviews
A study in scarlet --
The sign of four --
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes : A scandal in Bohemia ; The red-headed league ; A case of identity ; The Boscombe Valley mystery ; The five orange pips ; The man with the twisted lip ; The adventure of the blue carbuncle ; The adventure of the speckled band ; The adventure of the engineer's thumb ; The adventure of the noble bachelor
Published October 1st 1986 by Bantam Classics (first published 1927)

·  154,545 ratings  ·  3,363 reviews

adam bradford
Oct 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: researchers
A few of the things I learned:

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Never theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

Also, I now sometimes try to analyze people based on their shoes and pants when sitting on the subway. I have yet to ask anyone if I was accurate about my predictions.
Rowan Wiese
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time does not change great literature This was completely entertaining and no matter how old you are it's still great to read over the ones you enjoyed the first time. Several I had not remembered reading. I bought this book at special price from here:
Meave
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
My copy of this book is a wreck, I have read it so often. My dad gave it to me, I can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift, but regardless it's one of the best books I've ever been given. You just have to read a couple of pages and you fall right into Holmes and Watson's world; it's wonderful.
Michelle
Holmes, who loathed every form of society with his whole Bohemian soul, remained in our lodgings in Baker Street, buried among his old books, and alternating from week to week between cocaine and ambition, the drowsiness of the drug and the fierce energy of his own keen nature. Holmes was still, as ever, deeply attracted by the study of crime, and occupied his immense faculties and extraordinary powers of observation in following out those clues and clearing up those mysteries which had been aba ...more
Arah-Lynda
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said, paperwhite, top, lod
I have no idea how I let myself get so long in the tooth before finally settling down and reading this collection.  Suffice to say I am glad I finally came to my senses.

It is all here, every Sherlock Holmes story ever penned by Arthur Conan Doyle.  There are four complete novels and five books of case studies.  Relax I am not going to even attempt to review every one of these.  That would be tedious for me as well as you.

There is no doubt that my hands down favourite of the entire collection was
Aishu Rehman
Most of the stories are similar to one another, but it was nice to read about old England. In my opinion the novels are better than the shorts since Doyle had the opportunity to expand the story into other areas which gave depth and breadth to the stories.
Rizwan
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
সকুলের শেষে এসএসসির পর পুরো "শারলক হোমস অমনিবাস" টানা পড়ে শেষ করেছিলাম, সমভবত একবসাতেই । কলকাতার তুলি-কলম পরকাশনীর পরকাশিত মণীনদর দততের দুরদানত অসাধারণ পূরনাঙগ অনুবাদ । গভীর মুগধতায় এক বিসময়কর ঘোরের মাঝে ডুবে ছিলাম কয়েকটা দিন । ইতোপূরবে শারলক হোমস কে, কি, কেন এসব সমপরকে তখন আবছা আবছা ধারণা বৈ আর কিছুই জানা ছিল না । এখনকার অতি বিচকষণ ও অভিজঞ পাঠকদের মত আগেভাগেই সব জেনে যাবার কোন সুযোগ ছিল না, একেবারে আনকোরা চোখে নতুন এক জগত আবিষকারের অনাবিল নিখাঁদ আননদের সাথে পরতিটি গলপ পরতিটি পৃষঠা উপভোগ করেছিলা ...more
Natalia Yaneva
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-english
*Nota bene: Долуописаната сцена не е част от никоя от историите на сър Артър Конан Дойл. Всяка прилика с фикционални лица и събития обаче е напълно преднамерена.

Квартирата на Шерлок Холмс и д-р Джон Уотсън на ул. „Бейкър“ 221Б, Лондон. Холмс е погълнат от химичен експеримент, а Уотсън седи в кресло пред камината, взира се в пламъците и от време на време се оглежда неспокойно.

- Уотсън, убеден съм, че нервната Ви превъзбуда е напълно необоснована. Тихото шумолене, което така често прекъсва хода
Hasham Rasool
Most people in the world know who is Sherlock Holmes as the matter of fact, he is one of the most popular fictional characters.

'The Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes with original illustrations the 'strand' magazine'.

4 novels:

'A Study in Scarlet'
'The Sign of the Four'
'The Hound of the Baskervilles'
'The Valley of Fear'

5 books of 56 short stories:

'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes':
'A Scandal in Bohenia'
'The Red-Headed League'
'A Case of Identity'
'The Boscombe Valley Mystery'
'The Five Orange Pip
The Books Blender
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
description

Caro Arthur Conan Doyle,

So il che rapporto con la tua più famosa creatura non sempre è stato idilliaco. So che sei arrivato perfino a commettere un omicidio pur di sbarazzarti della tua onnipresente e impertinente creatura. Ma… sono contenta che ti sia ricreduto e che Sherlock Holmes, alla fine, sia sopravvissuto anche al suo peggior nemico: il suo stesso creatore.

Ora, ci sono mille altre cose che vorrei aggiungere. Ad esempio, potrei dire di come abbia cominciato con "Uno studio in rosso" che
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Le Petit Prince (14) versus The Complete Sherlock Holmes (19)

It was some time during the summer of 19__ that I received an urgent telegram from Holmes. Arriving at 221B, Baker Street, I was struck by how little he had changed. He was older, to be sure; but his eye was as keen as ever, and his enthusiasm not one whit abated by the passage of the years.

"I trust you have brought your passport, Watson?" he said, in lieu of greeting. "We depart for Alg
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, I'm now done with reading this whole 2-volume 1,796-page Sherlock Holmes canon. I spent 10 months reading all the 4 novels and 56 short stories contained herein.

I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in a classy classic manner a
Diana
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so sad when I finished this book. Nothing new to read ever again about Sherlock Holmes ... hmmmm *sigh*
Archit Ojha
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
One sentence until I turn up with a more powerful review :

Martha
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in varying states of wakefullness
I don't know if anyone else does this, but in times of stress or when I have exceptional trouble falling asleep, I find myself re-reading a favorite book. One of these used to be my complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series but alas, it *is* in fact possible to read those books too many times. Lately this book has been the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

What amazes me the most about these stories is that, despite having read through the entire collection a number of times, I seem to find someth
Marissa
*My overall rating is 4.5 stars for the entire bind up. I do list each story and my rating individually, as well as my average rating for each collection.*

A Study in Scarlet : 4 stars

-"The Five Orange Pips": 4 stars
-"The Man with the Twisted Lip": 3.75 stars
-"The Blue Carbuncle": 3
Alexis Hall
My impression of what a Sherlock Holmes' story is actually like.

I came down to breakfast one morning to find my dear friend, Sherlock Holmes disembowelling a gerbil with a teaspoon.

"My dear Holmes," said I, "is that really necessary?"

Barely glancing up from his gruesome task, he told me that it was. "You see, Watson," he continued, "there is matter that I believe may soon become illuminated not only to you but the whole of London society."

"Good God, Holmes!" I cried. "Whatever is this?"

"Have pat
Jaro
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-sherlock
Phew… I finished this whole thing in twelve days (except for The Hound of the Baskervilles which I had read before). I was in a very restless mood while reading and couldn’t stop. The focus, precision and energy of the stories kept me alert throughout and I never tired. As soon as I finished a story I was immediately hungry for more. I think the stories actually gained something by being consumed in succession in a short time. It made me aware of the structure of the stories, about similarities ...more
Stacy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Sherlock, and it was great to finally read the collection all the way through. : )
Trish Isiderio
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is nothing short of brilliant.

Arthur Conan Doyle is a master writer; there never was a dull moment in every story, and there are only a handful of characters that I would love as dearly as I love Sherlock and Watson.
Jan Rice
Jan. 15, 2013: I received this as a gift when I was 20 years old. I had already read it but I must have read again, because the cover wore off. I tucked the front and back piece of the cover in the back of the book, and that's how I know it was this edition. I loved Sherlock Holmes. I own a Sherlock Holmes sweatshirt at this very time.

I also liked Arthur & George by Julian Barnes, which was about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Added after I saw one of my friends was going to read Sherlock Holmes.
I s
Leona  Carstairs
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, classics
I'M DONE! I'M FINALLY DONE. I'M FREAKING DONE YAYYYY. IT TOOK ME ABOUT 8 1/2 MONTHS OF SLAVING AWAY AND I AM SO HAPPY THAT I AM FREED OF THIS BURDEN. YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW FRUSTRATED I WAS WITH MY SLOW PROGRESS, BUT I JUST DECIDED TO PUSH THROUGH AND FINISHED IT ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Look, I don't hate this book! Of course not. But like all story collections, it contains Good stories, Marvelous stories, Dull stories and Awful stories. So I am giving it an overall rating of 3 stars (Plus it took me s
Jordan Bailey
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What first got me hooked on reading.
[That sounds corny, like 'Hooked on Phonics' or something...]
Either way, I found a seriously abridged and illustrated version of a few stories when I was in 3rd grade. And I've never looked back. Hands down my favorite reads ever.
Tracey
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, hist-myst
As it turns out, I don't like Sherlock Holmes very much. The idea? Some of the writing? The kernel of the character and Watson and 221B and Mrs. Hudson and so on?

Absolutely. Holmes himself and his mysteries?

Oh, God.

I'm sure it was in some small part down to the fact that I listened to the entire blessed Holmes canon in an Audible "Complete" edition. I was happy about it, because it was narrated by Simon Vance, who has done such a magnificent job voicing Holmes in sequels by other authors. And
Filipa
I decided to read The Complete Sherlock Holmes in chronological order because: a) it would be more fun, 2) I would love to see the evolution of the characters, namely of Sherlock and Watson. So below are specific ratings on all the sections of the book:

A Study in Scarlet - 5/5
The Sign of Four - 4/5
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (12 tales) - 4/5
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (11 tales) - 5/5
The Hound of Baskervilles - 4,5/5
The Return of Sherlock Holmes (13 tales) - 4,5/5
His Last Bow (8 tales)
Eℓℓis ♥
Che cosa posso dire di un'opera simile? Immensa, su ogni fronte.
Va a sir Arthur Conan Doyle - oramai consacrato tra i più grandi scrittori gialli di sempre - il merito di aver dato vita ad un personaggio dalle mille ed eclettiche sfaccettature, capace di esercitare la sublime, sottile, arte della deduzione: l'eccentrico Sherlock Holmes.
Dal libro:

Lei ha portato l'arte dell'indagine ad essere tanto più vicina possibile a una scienza esatta quanto mai potrà esserlo in questo mondo.

Sahaj
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels-fiction
A Scandal in Bohemia: Chapter I. A dialogue I liked.
A scene at 221/B, Baker Street, London

Sherlock is sitting in his armchair in his usual manner, his eyes closed. In front of him is Count Von Kramm, a Bohemian nobleman, wearing a mask. (Who he was kidding? He was in front of the great SH!) And so in front of him actually is Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel Felstein, and hereditary King of Bohemia. by this time SH has opened his eyes and had an impatient look at
DeAnna Knippling
The Complete Sherlock Holmes...I happened to finish Dan Simmons's The Fifth Heart recently, and was a little put out about how he treated Sherlock in some spots. Having now finished the complete stories and novels - okay, yeah. Lots of inconsistencies, many stories a long stone's throw from fair, repetitive plotlines, and those stupid stories that are Sherlock intro, Sherlock epilogue...and a mass of adventure from America that I couldn't care less about. Sherlock is a heartless bastard, all rig ...more
Jesús
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first review... Well then... Let's get to it.

There are many things about Sherlock Holmes stories that I find to be brilliant but I will discuss only three in this review so as not to make it too long.

The first is that Holmes is actually as brilliant as his reputation would have everyone believe. Something that I find extremely annoying in fiction is when a character has a reputation for being a fantastic investigator or for being great at something else but they never do anything to prove th
Cindy Rollins
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2015
58 hours of narration by the wonderful Simon Vance which I doubt will ever be improved upon. Truly remarkable stories.

I often struggle to determine how many stars to give many books, especially modern ones which often come highly touted. But there is no struggle here. These stories are superior to any modern stories I have read this year.

For those who may not know this Doyle was a wonderful author of other books equal to his Sherlock Holmes books. For family reading do not miss The White Compa
Around the Year i...: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle 9 98 Oct 16, 2018 06:04AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Complete Sherlock Holms 4 12 Aug 01, 2018 03:03PM
Sherlock Holmes: Who has beat Sherlock? 55 177 Apr 10, 2018 05:22PM
Sleuths and book recommendations 1 4 Apr 01, 2018 06:19PM
Catching up on Cl...: Reading 150 pages 5 56 Feb 21, 2018 01:22PM
Indian Readers: Baker Street Irregulars 73 36 Sep 06, 2017 09:47PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Moor (Mary Russell, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • Complete Novels: Red Harvest / The Dain Curse / The Maltese Falcon / The Glass Key / The Thin Man
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re

Sherlock Holmes (10 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection
“You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.” 988 likes
“Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.” 682 likes