Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:

(Sherlock Holmes #1-9)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  190,692 ratings  ·  4,522 reviews
A study in scarlet --
The sign of four --
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes : A scandal in Bohemia ; The red-headed league ; A case of identity ; The Boscombe Valley mystery ; The five orange pips ; The man with the twisted lip ; The adventure of the blue carbuncle ; The adventure of the speckled band ; The adventure of the engineer's thumb ; The adventure of the noble bachelor
Published October 1st 1986 by Bantam Classics (first published 1894)

·  190,692 ratings  ·  4,522 reviews

Start your review of The Complete Sherlock Holmes
adam bradford
Oct 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: researchers
A few of the things I learned:

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Never theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

Also, I now sometimes try to analyze people based on their shoes and pants when sitting on the subway. I have yet to ask anyone if I was accurate about my predictions.
Rowan Wiese
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time does not change great literature This was completely entertaining and no matter how old you are it's still great to read over the ones you enjoyed the first time. Several I had not remembered reading. I bought this book at special price from here:
Meave
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
My copy of this book is a wreck, I have read it so often. My dad gave it to me, I can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift, but regardless it's one of the best books I've ever been given. You just have to read a couple of pages and you fall right into Holmes and Watson's world; it's wonderful. ...more
Luffy
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's great that we got Hound of the Baskervilles right before Return of Sherlock Holmes, because, after that, the knighted author would prove to be on autopilot.

I'm afraid that the test of time has not been overly kind to the canon Sherlock lore. It was a chore sometimes, to read through these short stories that have outstayed their welcome.

Maybe the detective ought to have stayed dead. But vox populi, vox Dei. Now that the work of Doyle is in Public Domain, many more new stories keep popping up
Michelle
Holmes, who loathed every form of society with his whole Bohemian soul, remained in our lodgings in Baker Street, buried among his old books, and alternating from week to week between cocaine and ambition, the drowsiness of the drug and the fierce energy of his own keen nature. Holmes was still, as ever, deeply attracted by the study of crime, and occupied his immense faculties and extraordinary powers of observation in following out those clues and clearing up those mysteries which had been aba ...more
Beata
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten stars would be too few for A C Doyle in the interpretation of Stephen Fry ... two Masters meet ..... and give delight to readers ......
Caz (littlebookowl)
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Rating: 3.5-3.75 stars?
Arah-Lynda
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperwhite, top, i-said, lod
I have no idea how I let myself get so long in the tooth before finally settling down and reading this collection.  Suffice to say I am glad I finally came to my senses.

It is all here, every Sherlock Holmes story ever penned by Arthur Conan Doyle.  There are four complete novels and five books of case studies.  Relax I am not going to even attempt to review every one of these.  That would be tedious for me as well as you.

There is no doubt that my hands down favourite of the entire collection was
Rebina Tess
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fantasy girl. I never liked detective stories. Until I got Sherlocked. ...more
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Le Petit Prince (14) versus The Complete Sherlock Holmes (19)

It was some time during the summer of 19__ that I received an urgent telegram from Holmes. Arriving at 221B, Baker Street, I was struck by how little he had changed. He was older, to be sure; but his eye was as keen as ever, and his enthusiasm not one whit abated by the passage of the years.

"I trust you have brought your passport, Watson?" he said, in lieu of greeting. "We depart for Alg
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, I'm now done with reading this whole 2-volume 1,796-page Sherlock Holmes canon. I spent 10 months reading all the 4 novels and 56 short stories contained herein.

I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in a classy classic manner a
Michael Perkins
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having been a fan of these stories and the main characters for years, I'd like to make two observations:

1) I guess it's based on expectations, but I think some adult readers over-react when they read these stories for the first time. I think if these stories were published as something new today, they'd be classified as YA. Which is fine. I've read my share of YA and enjoyed it. We know these books are not supposed to be on the same level as Dickens, Shakespeare, or Infinite Jest in their sophis
aPriL does feral sometimes
I can't remember how often I've read and reread this book collection. More than 20 times since elementary school. Literally the only book that never quit on me, and it was a used book I picked up for 10 cents. Sherlock was my first crush I guess. Even now I simply cannot be objective on any level in regards to this character. It's probably a good thing I moved on to the Man From U.N.C.L.E. Well, maybe not. ...more
Diana
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-the-book
I was so sad when I finished this book. Nothing new to read ever again about Sherlock Holmes ... hmmmm *sigh*
Gio Listmaker
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gio by: Andrea

Stephen Fry Narrates Sherlock Holmes

The Characters Come To Life

Image result for Stephen fry gif sherlock

The Different Voices Are Amazing

Highly Recommend
Martha
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in varying states of wakefullness
I don't know if anyone else does this, but in times of stress or when I have exceptional trouble falling asleep, I find myself re-reading a favorite book. One of these used to be my complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series but alas, it *is* in fact possible to read those books too many times. Lately this book has been the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

What amazes me the most about these stories is that, despite having read through the entire collection a number of times, I seem to find someth
Archit
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
One sentence until I turn up with a more powerful review :

Marissa
*My overall rating is 4.5 stars for the entire bind up. I do list each story and my rating individually, as well as my average rating for each collection.*

A Study in Scarlet : 4 stars

-"The Five Orange Pips": 4 stars
-"The Man with the Twisted Lip": 3.75 stars
-"The Blue Carbunc
Alexis Hall
My impression of what a Sherlock Holmes' story is actually like.

I came down to breakfast one morning to find my dear friend, Sherlock Holmes disembowelling a gerbil with a teaspoon.

"My dear Holmes," said I, "is that really necessary?"

Barely glancing up from his gruesome task, he told me that it was. "You see, Watson," he continued, "there is matter that I believe may soon become illuminated not only to you but the whole of London society."

"Good God, Holmes!" I cried. "Whatever is this?"

"Have pat
Aishu Rehman
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ar-conan-doyle
Most of the stories are similar to one another, but it was nice to read about old England. In my opinion the novels are better than the shorts since Doyle had the opportunity to expand the story into other areas which gave depth and breadth to the stories.
Adrienne
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love, LOVE the sherlock Holmes books. Re-read several times. Including characters like Mycroft, Dr Watson, inpector Mr Lestrad and Moriarty.
Michael Perkins
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read these stories many times over the years. My first versions, which I bought in the 70's, were a set of paperbacks as a boxed set. Often I would take one of the paperbacks along to keep me company and entertain while in waiting rooms or at a hotel for a night. Eventually the paperback pages grew yellow and began to crumble, but I still have them.

I do not usually read mysteries or thrillers, I prefer film or TV depictions, but Holmes has always been an exception. Stephen Fry is the perfe
Citlalli
Nov 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before anything else, I'd like to make a couple of clarifications:

First of all this is an audiobook, although for reasons unknown to me it appears as a Kindle ebook and I can't change the format. Secondly, the ninth book in the Sherlock Holmes Series (The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes) is not included in this collection. Still, the first eight books are part of this collection and it all amounts to about 68 hours of audio.

Now, I won't even try to review so much material, as the stories are many an
Elle (ellexamines)
oh my god but this thing is so thick. and I’ve only read one part of it. help.

A Study in Scarlet - TBR

The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes (collection) - TBR

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Spotify | About |
Michael O'Brien
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the longest books I've ever read, but well worth the read. Enjoyed it thoroughly. After reading this, it is clear that Sherlock Holmes is very well the inspiration behind most of the detective/ mystery genre we have today. I remember reading a while back, for example, that the TV show "House" was intended to be a medical version of Sherlock Holmes. I especially enjoyed reading such tales as "The Hound of the Baskervilles". One of the things that stands out about Sherlock Holmes i ...more
Bhavya
Sep 05, 2021 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
~currently reading~

(Click on the links for my thoughts on each story)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
1. A Scandal in Bohemia ★★★.5
I liked this story, but my expectations weren’t exactly met. I was hoping for something better.
2. The Red-Headed League ★★★
This one was slightly disappointing, but the overal reveal was amusing.
Craig
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes may quite arguably and deservedly be the most famous and beloved literary character ever created. I've been a fan for years, of most of the films, the radio dramatizations, some of the pastiches, and, of course, the originals, but I'd never read the complete canon straight through. I've read one of the stories or a chapter or two of one of the novels with my coffee every morning this year, and, 1408 pages later, finished this morning. I recommend them wholeheartedly without reser ...more
Gene
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a classic and very entertaining read to boot. What else can I say? Sherlock Holmes outlived many generations of its readers and will outlive yet more generations while still remaining hugely popular.
Katerina
Amazing narration of (mostly) amazing stories.

This is a great listen and a splendid investment of one 15-dollar Audible credit:) It's wonderful to get to reread Sherlock Holmes mysteries for the first time since secondary school and to find them still gripping and cool. Also, Fry's prefaces to each volume is a delight.
Jordan Bailey
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What first got me hooked on reading.
[That sounds corny, like 'Hooked on Phonics' or something...]
Either way, I found a seriously abridged and illustrated version of a few stories when I was in 3rd grade. And I've never looked back. Hands down my favorite reads ever.

• Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street
  • Shakespeare: The Complete Collection
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7)
  • The Three Musketeers (The D'Artagnan Romances, #1)
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1-5)
  • Arsène Lupin: The Collection (Arsène Lupin Gentleman Burglar, Arsène Lupin vs Herlock Sholmes, The Hollow Needle, 813, The Crystal Stopper and many more)
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club (The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club #1)
  • The Complete Adventures of Feluda, Vol. 1
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
See top shelves…
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)

Articles featuring this book

Billy Jensen is an investigative journalist who focuses squarely on unsolved murders and missing persons. He helped finish Michelle...
“You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.” 1075 likes
“Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.” 726 likes