The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2018 January Reading Challenge.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 799 comments Mod
Happy 2018 everyone!

The January reading challenge is going to have two parts. For the first part you'll need to list at least 3 of your favorite books you read in 2017. Then, for part 2, you need to read one book from someone else's list. Please label what you're posting: Part 1 or Part 2.

I'm putting it up a little early so that we can get a list going. I'll start.

Part 1
A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas
Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews
Sisters Like Us by Susan Mallery
Love Irresistibly by Julie James
Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
Between the Devil and the Duke by Kelly Bowen
Old Man's War by John Scalzi
Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal

message 2: by Audrey (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:22PM) (new)

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 799 comments Mod
Ooh, some of these look amazing. What to read for part 2?

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Dec 29, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Part 1:
You And Me, Always by Jill Mansell
Letters to the Lostby Iona Grey
An Unseen Angel: A Mother's Story of Faith, Hope, and Healing after Sandy Hook by Alissa Parker
The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman
A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival
by Melissa Fleming
Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim
Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf
Root, Petal, Thorn by Ella Joy Olsen
Of Mess and Moxie: Wrangling Delight Out of This Wild and Glorious Life by Jen Hatmaker
The War that Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life #1)
by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

So many good books, so little time!!

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Part 2:
I am going to read The Alice Network from Becky's list. :) It is on my "to-read" list, and I already have it from the library. Triple win!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 9 comments part 1: Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel; The Color Purple by Alice Walker; Where'd You Go Bernedette? by Maria Semple (that was hard to narrow down to 3 books!)
part 2: To Kill a Mockingbird

message 16: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:12PM) (new)

Carolyn | 111 comments Part 2: Someone listed I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban for part one. I'm supposed to read that for my book group this month anyway, so that's what I'm working on for part two of this challenge.

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 174 comments Part 1.

Here's every book I rated 5 stars in 2017:

The Wright Brothers David McCullough
Pinpoint: How GPS is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds Greg Milner
Off to be the Wizard Scott Meyer
Spell or High Water Scott Meyer
An Unwelcome Quest Scott Meyer
Fight and Flight Scott Meyer
Dragon Teeth Michael Crichton
The Network: the Battle for the Airwaves Scott Woolley
The Lost City of the Monkey God Douglas Preston
The Case Against Sugar Gary Taubes

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Carolyn wrote: "Part 2: Someone listed I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban for part one. I'm supposed to read that for my book group this month..."

Great book! I hope you enjoy it. She is an amazing young woman.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Part 1 - I read several books in 2017 related to World War II, told from several different viewpoints.
- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
-The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Born Survivors by Wendy Holden
Other books I enjoyed
- The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
- Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

Part 2 - I want to read Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
Thanks Carolyn for the suggestion. Just put a hold on it, so hopefully I get it in time.

message 20: by Debbie (last edited Jan 06, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 921 comments For my part 2: I've been looking for an opening to read The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story by Douglas Preston and Greg has given me the perfect "excuse" to read it for this challenge.

Britt, Book Habitue (britt--bookhabitue) | 387 comments Part 1: Books I gave 5 stars too (because I'm too tired to narrow it to three)
Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson
Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter (really, though, start with book 1- Jackaby... don't start here)
A Question of Inheritance by Elizabeth Edmondson
Rebel Magisters by Shanna Swendson
The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L Holm
Framed! by James Ponti
One Day and One Amazing Morning on Orange Street by Joanne Rocklin
The Winter Ghosts by Kate Moss
A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster
Real Friends by Shannon Hale
10 Things for Teen Girls by Kate Conner
William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge by Ian Doescher
The Ivy Pocket books by Caleb Krisp
The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth by Ian Lendler
Grounded by Megan Morrison
The Pages Between Us by Lindsey Leavitt

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I finished "The Alice Network", and gave it 5 stars. If you love historical fiction, and stories based around WWI or WW2, don't miss this one. :)

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments This is such a great challenge!
Part 1:
My favorite of the year: The First Rule of Punk by Celia C Perez
2. The Devil in Silver and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
3. I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erica Sanchez
4. Lucky Penny and Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Collection by Ananth Hirsh and Yuko Ota
5. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

......and these were just a FEW of my faves! 2017 was an excellent year of brilliant books!
As for Part 2.... I've got a ton already on my January to-read list.... but I've been wanting to read March: Book One so I bet I can make that happen! ♥

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandspooks) | 17 comments Part 1:
1. Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
2. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
3. Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty
4. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Part 2:
I'm going to try and read Lucky Penny as per Stephanie's suggestion! It sounds pretty good. (:

message 26: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 921 comments This is a really interesting challenge. Thanks for suggesting it!

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments I read You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
Thanks Teresa. This was a most delightful book.

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 161 comments Linda, I'm glad you liked it too!

message 29: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 49 comments For part 2, I am going to read The Girl Who Drank the Moon from Debbie's list. It has been on my to-read list for months now.

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 921 comments Linda wrote: "I read You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
Thanks Teresa. This was a most delightful book."

I enjoyed it back when I read it. I was surprised that she got the initial design from another woman and that her actual role was to popularize them!

message 31: by Lidja (new)

Lidja | 8 comments Part 1
I am very stingy with five-star ratings. I only gave two in 2017:

Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

I also really appreciated these other books that probably won’t appear on others’ lists:

Mid-Life: a Philosophical Guide by Kieran Setiya

The Wishtree by Kathryn Applegate (young adult)

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnanysyo) I am going to read The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue as recommended by Stephani. I have heard many good things about it and it’s very different from what I usually read. I also have a hold on Pachinko and hope to read it very soon

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments Donna wrote: "I am going to read The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue as recommended by Stephani. I have heard many good things about it and it’s very different from what I usually read. I also have a hold o..." aaaahh! It's so much fun! I truly loved reading it! It moves really quickly too, so once you're in, it's hard to stop. And those are always fun.

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments Sarah wrote: "Part 1:
1. Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
2. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
3. Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty
4. [book:The H..."

Yay! I hope you enjoy it! And then once you fall for it, definitely check out Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us. The creators have had a long standing web comic series called Johnny Wander and this book is a compilation of those comics. You can open it up to any page and find something lovely ♥

message 36: by Alyson (new)

Alyson | 86 comments Part 1:
Echo, by Pam Munoz Ryan (please pretend the virgulilla is there!)
Real Friends, by Shannon Hale and LeUyen Pham
The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth, by Ian Lendler
Keeping the Castle, by Patrice Kindl
Listen, Slowly, by Thanhha Lai
Dorko the Magnificent, by Andrea Beaty

message 38: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 321 comments I also loved Age of Myth and Steelheart. I found the Age of Myth author thanks to Reader's Choice.

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments Part 2: Finished March: Book One!

Thanks so much for recommending it Becky! I actually had volume one hanging out on my bookshelf at home unread, so this helped me get through a book in my collection....always a win! And it was so good, I'm looking forward to reading books two and three!

message 40: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 108 comments Part 2

I just finished Listen Slowly, from Alyson's list.
I also read Inside Out and Back Again.
Both were heart wrenching.

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments Stephanie wrote: "Part 2: Finished March: Book One!

Thanks so much for recommending it Becky! I actually had volume one hanging out on my bookshelf at home unread, so this helped me get through a b..."

Glad you liked it! I think the series is excellent and important. John Lewis is my hero.

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 921 comments For my part 2, I have finished The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story by Douglas Preston. Thanks, Greg, for identifying it. It truly was an excellent book!

message 43: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 161 comments Part 2
I read Big Little Lies from Sarah's list. Wow, I expected it to be good. It was great.

message 44: by Becky (last edited Jan 17, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Becky | 277 comments Part 2

I am going to read Hush by Jacqueline Woodson. The author has recently been named The National Ambassador for Young People's Literature. She'll also be speaking at the U's Marriott Library at noon on January 23! https://humanities.utah.edu/events/#/...

Thanks, Linda, for the suggestion!

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 54 comments Becky wrote: "Part 2

I am going to read Hush by Jacqueline Woodson. The author has recently been named The National Ambassador for Young People's Literature. She'll also be speaking at the U's Mar..."
whaaaaat? I wish I could go! I wonder if I could convince work that this is more important than shelving books? (prob'ly not, ha)

message 46: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 174 comments Part 2:

The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co. #3)

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda | 170 comments Becky wrote: "Part 2

I am going to read Hush by Jacqueline Woodson. The author has recently been named The National Ambassador for Young People's Literature. She'll also be speaking at the U's Mar..."

Let me know how you like it.

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments Audrey wrote: "I also loved Age of Myth and Steelheart. I found the Age of Myth author thanks to Reader's Choice."

Both are definitely in my top 3 of favorite fantasy authors. Jim Butcher would round out that short list.

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky | 277 comments I really enjoyed this challenge. I just finished Hush, an excellent, though searing read about living with difficult and life changing choices, especially choices someone else makes for you.

message 50: by Donna (new)

Donna | 72 comments Part 2.

Little Fires Everywhere
this came from Donna's list (msg. 13)

« previous 1