Start by marking “Airman” as Want to Read:
Airman

Airman

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  19,157 ratings  ·  1,527 reviews
In the 1890s Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast. Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the king’s daughter, Princess Isabella. But the boy’s idyllic life changes forever the day he discovers a deadly conspiracy against the king. When Conor tries to intervene, he is brand ...more
Published 2008 by Puffin (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Airman, please sign up.
Ethan This is an AMAZING book! Anybody I know who has picked this up has loved it!
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,124 books — 4,392 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books for Teen Boys
1,319 books — 1,567 voters

More lists with this book...

·  19,157 ratings  ·  1,527 reviews

Start your review of Airman
Betsy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
How Not to Review a Book: Do not begin your review by jumping off into some big old rant about how you never liked anything the author wrote before, particularly if you are about to praise their newest novel. Do not use phrases like “how did this happen?” and “why now?” and “are they near death?” You may mention how impressed you were with the author’s speaking engagements, mentioning in passing their brilliant encapsulation of, oh say, The Legend of Spud Murphy. Do not then mention how disappo ...more
Michael Ames
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fact: I was a nerd growing up (still am). Theory: Eoin Colfer was, too. Evidence: His books are a total celebration of nerd-dom. Honestly, between Artemis Fowl and now Airman, he's satisfying every daydreaming-during-trigonometry fantasy of every boy out there who's had to struggle with the fact that he has more brains than biceps.

I'll admit that the main character in this book, Conor Broekhart, is tough and good-looking. But that's entirely secondary to the fact that he's a mechanical genius a
Bry
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Know what I love these days???

Stand alone novels!

No sequels, prequels, trilogies, remakes, rewrites, re-releases, etc. etc. etc.

A single book with a beginning, middle, and end.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed it - the plot, characters, and writing. At first I thought it would be a bit too similar to the Count of Monte Cristo, it even had a dash of Man in the Iron Mask thrown in. Despite that, it was still original and suspenseful and had me vested in the outcome.

I ha
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Airman is a very special book to me. I read it for the first time when I was in my early yeens and I've reread it many times since. I’m so glad to find it better and better each time I read it. It’s simply a beautiful story. It also has a lot of adventure, a budding romance that I adored and some the most unique characters with the most unique names I have ever read about, which is something Eoin Colfer is very good at.

I am not kidding, this book has the best set of characters ever. How could s
Hope
"Airman" is the thrilling story of a fourteen year old boy named Conor Broekhart who dreams of flight. Unfortunately, his dreams are dashed when Conor is accused of murdering the king and is sent to the dreaded prison island of Little Saltee. All throughout his stay, Conor draws up his plans of escape, but the only way to escape Little Saltee is to fly.

I loved Conor Broekhart so much. He was this sweet, innocent, and nerdy kid who was obsessed with planes and gliders and such. I loved getting t
Sara ♥
February 13-14, 2019

Has it really been that long since I read this book? Sad! It's sooooo good! I went to my 3rd grader's book fair, which was in their school library, and saw this on the shelf. I was like, "Yaaaasss I want to read it again!!!" So I did. :) What a great book!!

November 1-3, 2013

Only 42 stars, Past Sara? Really? I know you were trying to be funny with the Hitchhiker's reference there, but you were seriously undervaluing this book!

It's AWESOME. Conor is THE BEST EVAR!!! It's kind o
Mya
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wow. That's all I can really say. This book, and my feels, took a beating. There were some points when I wanted to throw it across the room and go hurt something. It's that good.
I advise, before you start this book, to invest in a good psychiatrist. The plotting is so...thick...so complex that I could hardly put it down. (Unfortunately, I had to, as I had to see to my life and feed myself.) But, really, Eoin Colfer, I love you dearly. The characters, the plot, the whole world is just fantastic
Janette
First of all, let me say that I am a total Eoin Colfer fan. Really. I bought this book without knowing anything about it except that Eoin Colfer wrote it--and I usually don't do that. He is such a skilled writer though. He effortlessly juggles pacing, dialogue, action, internal thought, characterization, description--all of it. He makes it look easy. And in omniscient point of view too.

That said, I had a major problem with this book. One part was totally unbelievable.

*spoiler alert*

Oh, I was wil
May 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Conor Broekhart lives on a small island governed by King Nicholas Trudeau. Conor's days are spent with his tudor and playing with princess Isabella. But Conor's real passion is flying. All Conor's life he's dreamed of flying. He spends massive amounts of time and energy pursuing his obsession. That changes when he discovers a plot to overthrow the king and becomes tangled in the mess and branded as a traitor, being sent off to work in the diamond mines on little Saltee.

I decided to read this boo
Becky
I picked this book up quite a while ago, but never got around to reading it until I decided to give it away. I'm not sure why I never read it, because everything about this seems like it would be to my taste. I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series, and laugh like a loon whenever I read them, so I had a pretty good idea that I would like his other books, but still I put this off.

Well I'm glad that I decided to give it away, because it gave me an excuse to read this sooner than later, and I'm h
Robert Tabb
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife mentioned the other day that I am "all about the ending" when it comes to books or movies. And that is why I can't bring myself to give Airman 5 stars even though it is one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

A royal romance, a plot to overthrow the government, a prison break, and high-flying (literally - of course everything in a book is literal) adventure, and awesome names (Declan Brokehart is such a cool name) abound in this wonderfully written adventure following Conor Brokehart'
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
“A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.”
― Eoin Colfer, Airman

-> "An average human sees a book as pages and ink. An avid reader looks up for an adventure and knowledge"
- Numey

Airman by Eoin Colfer, about a crisp-sarcastic-determined-soft.from.heart-knighted-flyer aka Conor Broekhart

((Will write later, soon))

My 'soon' never comes :/ Even after my tomorrow goes, my soon never comes, no idea why!
Ezra
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Who couldn't love this book. Dare I say, this is Eoin Colfer's best work. I mean, I'll always be AF af, but this is pretty darn good. It kept me hooked all the way through, and it's got such great progression.

Also, can we just take a second to appreciate that name? CONOR BROEKHART

Not to mention, Hugo Bonvilain, who is surprisingly the villain. Plot twist.

But really, this is a fantastic book and I absolutely loved it.
Nüll
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
Wonderful! Amazing! I can still feel the air in my face!
J.E.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inventive, imaginative story. Simple, but intelligent and emotionally complex. Good character development, even without getting very deep into the characters head. It started out very MG, and as the character grew the narrative grew a bit. But it never got to the point that I would consider it YA, even though the character was 17 at the end.
I did have one small complaint, which is probably a manner of taste. (some spoilers) The text was very clear that the character's family was the main dr
Writer's Relief
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine a mash-up of an Ironman graphic novel with The Count of Monte Cristo, and you have Eoin Colfer’s The Airman. The beginning of The Airman feels a little like a superhero origin story. Our young protagonist, Conor, is the son of a king’s guard, and he spends his time exploring the castle. We meet his childhood friend, the princess, and following along while he learns a crazy amount of skills from his wise and talented tutor—who happens to believe that someday humans will be able to fly the ...more
A.K. Frailey
Aug 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story with a well-developed emotional arc. The characters—good and evil—are true to their natures and act accordingly. The writing is sharp and clear, and though I have never been to the land described, I saw it vividly in my mind's eye. Airman was never boring but always drew me deeper into the story. ...more
Jimmy
good book, upbeat
Aileen M
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun read! I feel like it can appeal to many age groups, and had an interesting storyline.
Amelia
May 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cheryl Parkinson PhD
Immediately on reading this book, I wasn’t hooked. Swashbuckling action is what it promised and I can certainly agree that it didn't disappoint on that level. However, I concede that I am probably too old for this kind of book which I think is targeted at teenagers.

The narrative centres around Conor Brockhart, which is every bit the hero. Young, handsome, gifted and with connections to the royal family. And every hero must have a worthy villain, (of course) and this was found in Hugo Bonvilian -
Jamie Dacyczyn
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, I think I'll go ahead and give this one 4 stars, which is fairy high praise from me. I didn't care for Artemis Fowl when I read it years ago, but still decided to give this stand-alone novel a shot. Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE stand-alone novels compared to fluffed trilogies or endless series?

This book felt a bit like a superhero origin tale. Although it was a bit far fetched in some areas (of course our young protagonist learns fencing, wrestling, AND karate from a master, how c
Penny McGill
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-older-kids
We liked this book a lot - drawn to it by Eoin Colfer, of course - but I have to say I am a bit sorry that my 11-year old daughter read it. I know that is a bit crazy because she has done the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Divergent and they are filled with violence and stress that I hope neither she or any of her friends ever deal with or even think they'll come close to seeing in their lives but the details in those series seem to be on the edge of entertainment, as if there isn't ever a chance ...more
Katherine
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
I read this to my step-daughter. We had read Colfer’s previous books all of which we enjoyed, so we were looking forward to this one. It was a disappointment.

None of Eoin Colfer’s books are exactly realistic, in the Artemis Fowl series for instance, fairies, centaurs and wild, impossible schemes abound, but there’s a sense of fun, a playfulness that keeps the reader entertained and engaged. The Airman is serious, bleak even, so that there is nothing to balance the pure comic book evil of the vi
Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Much of Airman is very enjoyable. Set when mechanical flight is on the verge of becoming a reality, it's both a Count of Monte Cristo-esque revenge tale and a fictional origin of manned flight. As historical fiction, Colfer does a good job of getting the flavor of the period. As a revenge story, he makes his hero (Conor) sufficiently noble and his villain (Bonvilain) sufficiently ruthless anc calculating. So far, so good.

But the characters are barely more than sketches. Perhaps Isabella, Conor's
Chris  - Quarter Press Editor
It has been awhile since I've read something by Colfer that isn't an Artemis Fowl book, however, this one didn't quite top the other series--at least not as a whole. While I enjoyed this book more than some of the AF books, there were moments here that I felt like Colfer wasn't quite up to the highest level of his quality, as if he'd been rushed. These moments were few and far between, but they were enough to keep me from loving this book.

That being said, it is still a very entertaining read wit
Praxedes
Several students had raved about this story so I gave it a shot. The plot was predictable but solid; it was really the long descriptive paragraphs which failed to move me. If an author is going to devote several paragraphs to describe the scenery, it better be either uniquely arresting or beautifully written. In this case it was neither.
Jenna
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Wow, a single volume YA book! Shocking!
Review to follow, but 4 stars for now!

EDIT: And fresh off the blogger press, a review at TheOtakuLibrarian
Alexandra
I couldn't get through Artemis Fowl. I liked Half-Moon Investigations ok. THIS story I really enjoyed. Political intrigue and adventure. I cared about the characters. Over all a great read. ...more
Hannah
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this. I wanted to scream at Conor near the end. But I liked it a lot more than AF
Historical fiction 2 7 Oct 31, 2015 04:22PM
Boys in books are just better... 9 59 Feb 04, 2015 08:42AM
thoughts and comments 21 29 Apr 12, 2013 08:33AM

• Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)
  • The Only (Endling, #3)
  • Pan and the Prisoners of Bolvangar
  • Murder in the Snow (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #4)
  • Fatal Fever: Tracking Down Typhoid Mary
  • Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)
  • Death on the River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Amazon Adventure
  • Fires of Invention (Mysteries of Cove, #1)
  • Bluefish
  • Deathstalker Rebellion (Deathstalker, #2)
  • Outcasts United: The Story of a Refugee Soccer Team That Changed a Town Adapted for Young People
  • Atlantis Rising
  • 90 Miles to Havana
See top shelves…
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A