Start by marking “The Song From Somewhere Else” as Want to Read:
The Song From Somewhere Else

The Song From Somewhere Else

Frank doesn't know how to feel when Nick Underbridge rescues her from bullies one afternoon. No one likes Nick. He's big, he's weird and he smells – or so everyone in Frank's class thinks.

And yet, there's something nice about Nick's house. There's strange music playing there, and it feels light and good and makes Frank feel happy for the first time in forever.

But there's m
Published November 10th 2016 by Bloomsbury Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Song From Somewhere Else, please sign up.
Rebecca My guess is 12 years old. Neil Noble is the year above and he goes off to high school.

Start your review of The Song From Somewhere Else
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
I remember being friends with him, and how we were both two pieces of a strange puzzle - two pieces that complemented each other; two people that were best of friends and had the same mutual bullies. Until, that is,

That's not a quote from the book - that is a friend I lost because I was too afraid of being best friends with the "smelly, large kid"

So this book hit me hard. Review to come.

Image result for a song from somewhere else illustrations
Mathew
I didn't think that A.F.Harrold could write something better than The Imaginary but he did. I didn't think a partnership between him and Emily Gravett could be equalled or bettered...but it has been. Harrold's story of an unlikely friendship between the young, female protagonist, Frank and the class misfit, Nick is one which is cleverly and neatly woven. As with The Imaginary, if not more so in this story, you are left asking more questions that when you start the book and believe me, this is a ...more
Alexandra
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to me by the publisher, Bloomsbury, at no cost. It will be out in Australia in December 2016; RRP $24.99 (hardback). Recommended ages 9-12.

Uh, wow. This book is utterly beautiful and wonderful. Both the prose and the object itself.

The story: bullied girl one day gets rescued by the weird, despised kid. She goes back to his house where she hears haunting, enchanting music, so she goes back the next day. Things get weirder over the next couple of days - and worse, and better. Th
Dom Conlon
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quietly beautiful. A fairytale whispered in the concrete yards of terraced houses, this book grows and grows as AF Harrold leads us through a story about friendship. Levi Pinfold's illustrations capture the fantasy in our reality too, making this an extraordinary and unique experience.
Emily
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful and terrifying; the perfect read for kids who like things a little creepy and different. Things I loved: talking cat, friendship, overcoming bullying, gorgeous illustrations.
Avital Nathan
Danielle
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
"Stomachs don't lie."

A beautifully written, captivating story about a main character who discovers new, mysterious worlds outside of herself and new worlds inside of herself as she learns to love and value someone different and listen to her gut.
Gabriella
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-4
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: A physical copy of the book was provided via Bloomsbury India as part of the Bloomsbury Award Winning Readathon. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Actual Rating 4.75 Stars

This was my first book for the amazing month long readathon hosted by Bloomsbury India for its Award Winning books starting from October 15th to November 15th.

The Song From Somewhere Else by A.F. Harrold and I
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
2018 CARNEGIE LONGLIST BOOK 12/20

This is definitely one of the better books on this list. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it was my favourite, but it was different from what I thought it would be, and I did enjoy reading it. The illustrations really made the book that much more magical - they are so gorgeous, all in black and white and haunting. They suit the tone and atmosphere of the book perfectly.

This book follows the story of Frank. So, I will make the embarrassing confession that I tho
Sandy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to think about this novel, the more that I read it. The story seemed typical until I started to know Nick and his situation. Nick was like an outcast for he was different but he didn’t seem to let that bother him much as he kept to himself. Nick didn’t have to go in and save Frank from the bullies that were bothering her but he did and that confrontation was just the beginning of what was going to occur. Frank was a victim of bullying, an act her father knew nothing about it b ...more
Luna
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A F Harrold weaves a beautiful tale. There is mystery, friendship and love.

The Song From Somewhere Else portrays bullying in a way that I think would bring a lot of understanding to readers. If you’ve been (or are being) bullied that Frank will be someone who you sympathise with, I saw so much of my school years reflected in her that it was quite eerie, but also really good because I think if you’ve been there you’d find sympathy in this story. For those readers who aren’t in Frank’s shoes or kn
Les McFarlane
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m not going to tell you about this book. You need to read it! If I reveal the story it will spoil your experience. Suffice to say I was reading at a pace toward the end- scrabbling to find out what would happen! I know it’s been a great story when I feel like that. This book deals with lots of issues but not least bullying.....no more, Les,no more...
Read it then let’s talk.
But, can I just say Pinfold’s illustrations are truly outstanding. They add to the book in the most delicate, subtle way.
Michael Earp
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this engaging, beautiful, dark and amusing book that was surprisingly full of adventure and light.
Ellie Labbett
I am lost for words with this incredible book. A story that sees the collision of multiple different worlds, and one that was brooding, troubling and totally cathartic. Harrold merges fantasy with bullying so fluidly, and the inner turmoil experienced by the protagonist was without a doubt one of the best that I have ever read. It is this book that speaks for those living in fear and who find it difficult to be brave. A stunningly dark collaboration that was peppered with glimmers of light, and ...more
Aimee
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of The Song from Somewhere Else from Allen and Unwin New Zealand to review.

I don't remember why I wanted to read this but I'm really glad I did. I was not expecting the twist at all when I started this book but I really should have. It's so obvious from the title of the book. It give a huge clue that the story is more than what it seems. But I guess that's hindsight for you.

I enjoyed the twist to The Song from Somewhere Else, especially because I wasn't expecting it. I also r
Meg
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
The Song From Somewhere Else, just like The Imaginary, blends darkness and light in a way that is funny, moving, scary and utterly unforgettable. It is a beautiful story about unlikely friendship and the importance of seeing past the surface. I'm a big fan of Levi Pinfold's illustrations, and I don't think anyone else could quite have pulled off the blend of mundane and otherworldly.
Gaby Meares
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lyrical, haunting, moving, and sometimes just a little bit creepy. The song from somewhere Else has a touch of magic realism about it, but is firmly placed in the real world, with real world problems faced daily by kids who don't fit in.
This book is beautiful to look at, and wonderful to read.
Highly recommended to readers from upper primary +.
Suad Shamma
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2018
Initially, I started out by really liking this story and enjoying where it was going. Very quickly though, it went somewhere totally unexpected, and just...strange.

It wasn't what I had imagined it would be going into it, from the synopsis. I had no clue that it would turn weird and magical with all this supernatural element to it. I thought it would be a regular coming-of-age story about a girl, who is being bullied and finds a friend, confidant and protector in Nick, the last person she'd have
Rebekah
What we have here is a story of a girl riddled with, what appears to be, anxiety who makes an unlikely friendship with the ‘weird’ boy from school. When Frank unintentionally discovers a gateway to another world in Nick’s basement, she goes against her fear and instincts in order to help both Nick and the rest of our world.

Harrold manages to combine the sinister and eerie with hope and beauty in a way that can really only be understood if you read the book. It’s very similar to The Imaginary in
Eve Leuzinger
'A story about strangeness, strength, friendship and keeping the shadows at bay' is simply just to simple for everything this novel is about! The Song From Somewhere Else contains just about everything you want from a good story- unpredictable narrative, realistic and entertaining characters as well as beautiful illustrations!

In terms of the narrative, I won't give too much away. But be prepared for a twist at every page, A.F Harrold has a really developed sense of narrative and plot which make
Karen Barber
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frank is fed up of being bullied. She fears what Nick and his friends will do every day. The fear makes her stutter, and her stomach talking is a clear way of showing her anxiety. Then one day she is helped by the school outcast, Nick.
A tentative friendship is struck, and Frank learns things are sometimes stranger than you could imagine.
Frank finds a world of trolls and other strange creatures, some of whom cause more pain than others. Through it all she has to decide how she feels about her ne
Kim
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Levi Pinfold's art is beautiful as always, but I think the story's more enjoyable for folks who responded to childhood bullying very differently than I did. Since most of the plot occurs as an outgrowth of Frank's inability to cope with her bullies, I spent most of the plot feeling irritated and frustrated with Frank instead of charmed and intrigued by the peculiar goings-on surrounding her.
Michael Perez
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best children's fiction book that suddenly goes Cthulhu that I've ever read. I wouldn't recommend this easily to non-horror loving children, but I loved it. Really quirky.
Kari
Nope.
Tasha
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This novel for middle grades combines fantasy with a touch of horror. Frank’s best friends are away for most of the summer, so she doesn’t have much to do. Her father is always sending her out of the house to play, unaware that she has been targeted by a group of boys and is being bullied. When they toss her backpack into a patch of nettles, another boy steps in. Nick has always been teased at school and doesn’t have any friends. He’s bigger than the other kids and talks almost like an adult. Fr ...more
Alyssa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous. This book was something of a blend between STRANGER THINGS and A MONSTER CALLS, with all the poetry and wonder that is a hallmark of the best of middle grade books. I read it through in a sitting on my Kindle, and I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy. Highly recommend.
Alexandra Pearson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. Frank is a brilliant character who deals with the strange events that occur in a wonderfully believable way, full of doubt and anxiety, and struggling to do the right thing. The story is intriguing, beautiful and at times genuinely creepy. The writing style is often witty and always engaging and Levi Pinfold's illustrations take the story to a whole new level. Just do yourself a favour and read it. Read it now.
Heather
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Start at a typical neighborhood incident of bullying and slowly walk into a magical world of fantasy. A great tale of finding friends in unexpected faces and places who then together explore what it means to be a real friend along with the delight of creativity and imagination. The author brilliantly draws you in right from the start.
Marathon County Public Library

If it hadn’t been for the disappearance of Quintilius Minimus, her cat, Francesca’s (Frank’s) unlikely friendship with Nick Underbridge, the unusually tall, awkward, different, smelly boy from school, would probably have never happened. And if the other boys from her school weren't taunting and bullying her while she was at the playground posting posters about her lost cat, she would have probably never seen how incredibly kind and trustworthy Nick is. On a visit to Nick's house, she is addictiv

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Mighty Odds (The Mighty Odds, #1)
  • The Many Reflections of Miss Jane Deming
  • Tumble & Blue
  • Forever, or a Long, Long Time
  • Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls (Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls, #1)
  • Spirit Hunters
  • Shackleton's Journey
  • The Goldfish Boy
  • The Only Road (The Only Road #1)
  • Varmints
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Bailey's Story (A Dog's Purpose Puppy Tales)
  • Boy in the Tower
  • Wed Wabbit
  • Rook
  • Un secreto
  • Bone Talk
  • I, Cosmo
A.F. Harrold is an English poet. He writes and performs for adults and children, in cabaret and in schools, in bars and in basements, in fields and indoors. He was Glastonbury Festival Website's Poet-In-Residence in 2008, and Poet-In-Residence at Cheltenham Literature Festival in 2010. He won the Cheltenham All Stars Slam Championship in 2007 and has had his work on BBC Radio 4, Radio 3 and BBC7. ...more