Start by marking “Little Fires Everywhere” as Want to Read:
Little Fires Everywhere

Little Fires Everywhere

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  259,956 Ratings  ·  23,522 Reviews

In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is meticulously planned – from the layout of the winding roads, to the colours of the houses, to the successful lives its reside

Published September 12th 2017 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about Little Fires Everywhere, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jackie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-lit, botm, 2017
All her life, she had learned that passion, like fire, was a dangerous thing. It so easily went out of control.

4 1/2 stars. You should go into this book expecting what it is: a slow-moving character portrait filled with complex family dynamics and small-town politics. If you know what this is, like with Ng's Everything I Never Told You, and don't go into it expecting fast-pacing and high-octane drama, you will probably find this quiet read to be extremely engrossing and emotional.

I have to be
Melissa
*4.25 stars*

Little Fires Everywhere is such an apt title for a novel that delves into the intricacies and angst that undoubtedly burns through some relationships—maybe none more so than mother and daughter. At its core, this story explores the notion that being a mother doesn’t mean being perfect; it comes down to love, sacrifice and sheer will. Through her cast of captivating characters, Celeste Ng confronts the reality that haunts us all—each and every one of us is rife with cracks and flaws,
Deanna
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites, arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpress.com/

“Little Fires Everywhere” is my first read by Celeste Ng, but I’m pretty sure that it won’t be my last. I could easily have read this book in just one or two sittings but life got in the way (in this case life being a glass of 7up, a knee jerk and “Nooo! Save the books!”). But once the book was dry, I picked it up again and didn’t stop until I finished the last page.

Everything in Shaker Heights is planned and there are
Julie Ehlers
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: galleys
The order of the small town on the riverbank
Forever at war with the order of the dark and starlit soul

—Adrienne Rich, “8/1/68”

The nonconformist has always been at war with the suburbs—Adrienne Rich was writing about it 50 years ago, and she surely was not the first. I can understand this dichotomy; I myself have certainly experienced suburbs where a high level of conformity seemed to be expected, resulting in a weird high-school atmosphere among grown adults. Still, you really don’t have to dig
Elyse Walters
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pre-ordered this book months ago. It arrived at 12:01am today. I've been reading non - stop.... a one- sitting read with a few necessity breaks.

Here's is my problem....
I feel as if I've read this story before. I was only mildly interested in many scenes.
There were parts I found trite and parts I found semi boring.
Personally - I found the characters to be very one dimensional.

Here's another problem I have:
Yesterday I finished reading "In The Fall They Come Back", by Robert Bausch. I saw a
Matthew
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Dang!

If this book does not get your brain churning, well, then you did read the same book I just did!

This book is filled with so many scenarios with so many questions and no perfect answers. Every situation is a little pile of kindling and any of the questionable solutions will only ignite the fire . . . soon you have a bunch of fires ready to burn everything to the ground. Man, that would be a great title for this book! Oh . . . wait . . .

It has been a long time since I remember reading a book
Larry H
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd rate this 3.5 stars. (I know, it's killing me, too.)

Sometimes one of my greatest frustrations with books I read is that it is difficult for me to believe that a character would do something egregious as a knee-jerk reaction to something they don't agree with. I know, I'm reading fiction, which isn't always directly based on real life, but sometimes a character's actions are so ridiculous and ring so false that they really change my feelings about a book.

Other times a character is so unlikabl
Elise (TheBookishActress)

Never in my life have I read any book, any narrative, that cared as deeply for all of its characters as this one did. Little Fires Everywhere lives in the grey area, leaving it impossible not to be invested, impossible not to love every character and cry for every character and root for every character, despite all their flaws.

I really struggle to chara
Maxwell
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: botm, i-own-it, 2017
When I read Celeste Ng's debut novel Everything I Never Told You in late 2014, I was smitten. Ng's writing was so beautiful, her characters so real, and the story so compelling. I instantly knew I would be reading whatever she put out next.

Three years later and I'm happy to say that Ng has returned with just as stunning of a novel as her debut. Little Fires Everywhere is hands down one of the best books I've read this year; and just like its predecessor will be rising to the top of my yearly f
Lori
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
So, self-identification determines if a book is YA? Based on more than 60% of the content, this is young adult material. It’s good; parts are excellent, others not so much.

I liked Mia’s backstory as she became an artist using experimental photography. I thought that the custody dispute concerning “Oriental Barbie” was worth at least a star or two.

A lot of the characters are clichéd. The at-home Mr. Richardson could be a cardboard cutout with excellent earning skills. He fairs a lot better befor
Susanne Strong
5 Amazing Bright Shiny Stars! I would give it 100 if Goodreads would let me.

Little Fires Everywhere is a novel that far surpasses any other that I have ever read.
I don't know how Celeste Ng did it. It is a brilliantly written novel with intricate, rich and wholly vivid characters whose lives are so fully intertwined you can't help but read on in bewildered awe of how Celeste Ng created these characters. My nerve endings were fully engaged on high alert from the first sentence.

Shaker Heights,
Angela M
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Richardson family lives a perfect life, planned to a T and that's what Elena Richardson, her husband and four children seem to have, at least to fifteen year old Pearl Warren. Pearl moves with her itinerant artist mother, Mia, into a rental house owned by the Richardsons in Shaker Heights and becomes infatuated with this family, their house, their life style so different from her own and is mostly infatuated with three of the teenage siblings. The reader though knows from the get go that the
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 It's my first novel by Celeste Ng and even though Literary Fiction/Contemporary isn't my genre, I really enjoyed this one. I now have to pick up "Everything I Never Told You" which has been on my shelves for way too long!

Would recommend if you're looking for a slow character driven book full of emotions!
Liz
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-clubs
At first glance, this book seems to be mostly about teenagers, but then it struck me that it’s really about parenting. Each parent thinks they’re doing the right things in the way they raise their children. But who truly is?

Ng does a good job of bringing each character to life. Izzy is the most unique of the characters. And the relationship between Izzy and Mrs. Richardson is spot on perfect. “When it came to Izzy, Mrs. Richardson was seldom calm, and for that matter, Izzy herself never was.”
Diane S ☔
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
An author that has the uncanny ability and insight to look deep inside the workings of the often complicated relationships between mothers and daughters. Mrs. Richardson prides herself on always following the rules, believing if this is done success in life and family will follow. She has four children , but as we know saying it doesn't make it so. Mia, a single mother, has a secret, a secret that will be used to her detriment. She was my favorite character, has a better, closer bond with her da ...more
Meredith
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intensely complex, multi layered, and intricately plotted Little Fires Everywhere is a profoundly complicated and jarring read about motherhood, freedom, and the human experience.

When unconventional artist Mia and her fifteen year old daughter, Pearl, move to Shaker Heights, Ohio their lives dramatically change. Of even great significance is their impact on the seemingly perfect Richardson family. On the surface, the Richardson’s seem to have it all--perfect house, perfect jobs, perfect child
Maureen
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Metaphorically speaking, everyone has 'little fires' in their lives - events that begin as a small spark, and have the ability to transform into a raging inferno, changing lives for ever.

Shaker Heights, Cleveland is an idyllic place to live, everything has been planned to create the perfect community, but it's residents are expected to live by its many rules and regulations.

The Richardson's are quintessentially the kind of family who the community of Shaker Heights was built for. Elena Richardso
Jen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those reads that starts off as a small flame. Then just as the smoke becomes a raging inferno, the story has gotten under your skin and you've inhaled more than you thought and instead of it going to your lungs, it aims straight for the heart.

It's a story of relationships - Mother daughter ones. It starts off with Mia and daughter, Pearl, who move to shaker heights which is an upscale suburban neighbourhood where life is both homogenous and idyllic. Until the adoption of a Chinese
Julie
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng is a 2017 Penguin Press publication.

A smart, but often scathing look at entitlement coupled with the endless dynamic layers between mother and child.

The Clinton era gets a sharp examination as we drop in on Shaker Heights, an ideal suburban community with plenty of unspoken rules for its financially comfortable residents. The Richardson family is the prototype of the community, with Elena Richardson embracing the lifestyle with unparalleled enthusiasm.

‘Pe
Jenna
My favorite part of this book was the part when I deposited my still-pristine hardcover copy, unblemished BOTM Club bookmark and all, into the Little Free Library down the street - knowing that although I did not much enjoy the book, I am one of approximately 998 readers in that regard, and therefore my little free deposit would hopefully confer lotta free joy on someone else.

I didn't hate this book at first; rather, the dislike gradually seeped up on me, like Little Gripes Everywhere! My admire
Berit☀️✨
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks, faves
5 complicated stars!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I have read SO many wonderful books lately, I keep thinking I can’t rate all these books 5 stars... but then I think how can I not? They all definitely deserve it! SO here I go again with another gushing review!(Currently I’m reading a book I’m not all that crazy about, so I promise a slightly negative review to come😉)

What makes you a mother biology or love?

This book was about the bonds between mothers and their children; The relationship between mothers and daughters in
Dana Ilie
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
Celeste Ng’s writing style wasn’t super easy to read. I feel the need to stress that Little Fires Everywhere is not a fast-paced, easy to read suburban thriller. It’s a slow-paced novel of fiction that focuses on American suburbia and middle class ethics that often requires more attention when reading to make sure you pick up on every subtle detail. All the time I read this book, I have the sensation that it was a script of an Desperate Housewives. There are not housewife in the book, b
Lola
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt so invested in the characters.

Not at first. That’s what’s interesting. In the beginning, everyone looked the same to me. Everyone *felt* the same. I had trouble distinguishing characters from one another.

But then I started learning about their pasts and began to see people in a different light. Mia Warren, for instance, is extremely secretive. She isolates herself on purpose and moves from place to place on a regular basis. She doesn’t need much. All she really needs is Pearl and her art.
jessica
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘all her life, she had learned that passion, like fire, was a dangerous thing. it so easily went out of control.’

i honestly wasnt expecting to enjoy this book. i didnt really like celeste ngs debut and i thought this was probably overhyped. but this is one of the few occasions where i am actually happy to admit i was wrong.

i knew from the first chapter, where the title comes into play, that i was in for a real treat. if you dont know by now, i love when a book is so aptly named. sometimes tit
Carol (Bookaria)
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is amazing! I regret not reading it sooner.

What happens when two characters with very different personalities converge? A captivating story.

On one corner we have Elena Richardson, a successful, married reporter with four children who live in a well-to-do neighborhood, she has planned out carefully her life and executed it meticulously.

On the other corner we have Mia Warren, an enigmatic, creative, single artist and her daughter Pearl who at the beginning of the story rented an apart
R.K. Gold
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd probably give this 3.5, I guess. I don't know. I didn't like this book, but I feel like I should. Ng is a phenomenal writer but I just couldn't get into this book. The first chapter was amazing and I thought I was in for something special.

There was a clear theme of ignorance in the "progressive" town of Shaker Heights that only outsiders and Izzy could see. The reason I couldn't get into this book was that all the supporting characters felt a little thin. Like they weren't actually people, t
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
The whole time I was listening to this book, I couldn't shake the feeling of deja vu. It finally dawned on me that Little Fires Everywhere inexplicably reminded me of a childhood favorite book called The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright.

Both books feature families of four rambunctious kids and Celeste Ng writes in a confident, animated manner that is reminiscent of Elizabeth Enright's style. The books each have more of an infectious, rather than addictive quality. It is so fun to be in the middle
Taryn
3.5 Stars. Celeste Ng certainly knows how to start a story! "Everyone in Shaker Heights was talking about it that summer: how Isabelle, the last of the Richardson children, had finally gone around the bend and burned the house down." The town was already on edge because of a controversial adoption case, but now the Richardsons' family drama has given them something new to talk about. What's going on behind closed doors in this perfect suburban community? How did they get to this point?

But the p
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-reads
🔥 🏠 3.5 stars (rounded up). While beautifully written, emotional and intense - Little Fires Everywhere didn't blow me away as much as I expected it would. It was a slow-burn book that required your investment and I have to admit to skimming some pages because they felt long.

The story for me was about more than the storyline though that was certainly interesting. What resonated with me was Ng's depiction of relationships. The relationships between mothers and their children, the relationship
Carol
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars....my true rating.

I've been putting off writing my review....and rethinking my rating on LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE bc it just didn't blow me away like it did so many others, and I really wanted time to think about it....What am I missing? It's just kind of a soap opera really and nothing we haven't heard before. One family with teens who make mistakes (one big one) and a busy-body mother who thinks she's better than everybody. Another mother who makes a big mistake bc of hopelessness...

Indian Readers: Little Fires Everywhere - October 2018 BOTM 53 116 Nov 04, 2018 11:22PM
East Fishkill Com...: Our November Book - Little Fires Everywhere 1 5 Nov 02, 2018 08:01AM
Our November Book - Little Fires Everywhere 1 17 Nov 02, 2018 07:59AM
Verbeelding Bookclub: 2018 - juli boek 16 62 Oct 29, 2018 04:41AM
Celeste Ng is the author of the novel Everything I Never Told You, which was a New York Times bestseller, a New York Times Notable Book of 2014, Amazon’s #1 Best Book of 2014, and named a best book of the year by over a dozen publications. Everything I Never Told You was also the winner of the Massachusetts Book Award, the Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature, the ALA’s Alex Award, and the ...more
“Sometimes you need to scorch everything to the ground, and start over. After the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow. People are like that, too. They start over. They find a way.” 273 likes
“Most of the time, everyone deserves more than one chance. We all do things we regret now and then. You just have to carry them with you.” 154 likes