Book lovers discussion

Books > What have you recently finished and loved

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,172 (1172 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Have there been any books you have recently read that were really good?

message 2: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) The Host is the last book I read, which I really liked.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I am reading that now. I am loving it but i wish it wasnt so long! Its taking forever lol I am sure that the ending will make it worth while though :)

message 4: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Yeah .. u'll definitely enjoy it .. When I finished the book, I felt sad that it was over, like one good adventure was over. I sure hope she comes up with the sequels to The Host.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Dragons of Summer Flame - I love this series of books.The world of Krynn continent of Ansalon.All the characters pull you in and when they die it feels real & sad.In this one we lost one of the remanining characters from the vary first book. Tasslehoff Burrfoot aka Tas.Only 2 left from the first book. I'll pick them up again later, i love these books.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Aths wrote: "Yeah .. u'll definitely enjoy it .. When I finished the book, I felt sad that it was over, like one good adventure was over. I sure hope she comes up with the sequels to The Host."

I hope she gets the sequel out in a decent amount of time. I hate waiting lol

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Just finished Luna by Julie Anne Smith and The Blue Hour – A Portrait of Jean Rhys by Lilian Pizzinchi

Both very different!

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I finally finished The Host. It was soooo good!!

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments I'm sooooo happy that you enjoyed The Host!!!

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Did you love it too? Its amazing!

message 11: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I just finished Nineteen Minutes and Whoa! Absolutely loved it! Except for the twist in the ending, the whole book was superb!

message 12: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Alright, just finished The Catcher in the Rye. :-)

message 13: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) I recently finished Rachel Vincent's Shifter series and LOVED it! I am almost done with Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Being one of my favorite movies, I just had to read the book. It has been one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time. I absolutely love the writing style of the two authors, and was really happy that they wrote for Nick and Norah's POV throughout the novel. Awesomeness!

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I loved Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist!! The book was better than the movie. I loved the movie but i watched it again recently and it wasnt as good as i remember.

message 15: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Oh thanks for the incentive. That book has been on my library list for ages, but never got around to picking that book. I will get it today!

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yay :) Hope you love it Aths

message 17: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments I just finished Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen. It is centred around Mrs. Simpson and the Prince of Wales. I recommend it to anyone that is into "historical fiction".

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I gave Abandon 5 stars because that's how awesome it is. It's not horror, but some horrible things happen in it. I can't say much about it because I'd give some things away. Highly recommended.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) While on my three day break (just back and checking my 100+ emails!) I finished of The Picture of Dorian Grey and The Host - enjoyed Host much more than Twilight series and Dorian Grey was brilliant - want to see the film now!

message 20: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Lynne wrote: "While on my three day break (just back and checking my 100+ emails!) I finished of The Picture of Dorian Grey and The Host - enjoyed Host much more than Twilight series and Dorian Grey was brillian..." I would have to agree with you on Dorian Grey. Haven't read the Host yet. Sounds like I should.

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Gerry you should read The Host! Its very good!

message 22: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments I definitely will put it on my "soon to be read list". A couple of people I work with have also highly recommended it. Thanks again.

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Cool :) Hope you like it

message 24: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I just finished Love Story and really loved it! Total classic!

message 25: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Aths wrote: "I just finished Love Story and really loved it! Total classic!"
That brings back memories. Read the book just before I went to see the movie. Liked the book more than the movie...but that is just me. thanks for bringing back some memories.

message 26: by Athira (last edited Aug 19, 2009 11:42AM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I watched the movie when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old? I know that hardly counts. But I still remember the last scene very clearly. Where Oliver's father says sorry and Oliver replies back with the most famous line of this book, "Love means not having to say you're sorry". That line's the reason I remember this movie, since I kept chanting tht for ages (My dad got tired of me, LOL)

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I recently finished Dead until Dark. I liked it but i think it was a victim of over hype and i would have liked it more if i wasnt expecting too much from it. I will still read the next one though!

message 28: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Another good suggestion. My bookshelf is becoming just a little cluttered. Jo, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being very good, how would you rank this book??

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Umm i would say about 7.5. I think that if there wasnt a lot of hype i would have rated it around 8.5 because i was expecting too much from it when i should have just read it with out expecting anything.

message 30: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) Gerry wrote: "Aths wrote: "I just finished Love Story and really loved it! Total classic!"
That brings back memories. Read the book just before I went to see the movie. Liked the book more than the..."

Is this the Love Story movie with Ryan O'Neal? Wow - that sounds like a tear jerker of a book!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ  (shoey924) | 53 comments Just finished Life As We Knew It and wow! Intense!

message 32: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Ashley wrote: "Gerry wrote: "Aths wrote: "I just finished Love Story and really loved it! Total classic!"
That brings back memories. Read the book just before I went to see the movie. Liked the book ..."

Yes it is and it is an "emotional" book although I must admit I didn't shed any tears, but many did from what I heard. Well worth your while to read.

message 33: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ wrote: "Just finished Life As We Knew It and wow! Intense!" Wow. Thanks for the recommendation. Another one to add to my list. I really like this group.

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I read the description for Life as we knew it. Sounds really good!

message 35: by Shane (new)

Shane (Shaneybobs) | 80 comments I have just read Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski. Funny, sad, lewd and squalid. It tells the story (in semi autobiographical form) of his childhood and upbringing in a poor part of LA during the depression, and finihes as America is drawn into WWII and Bukowski (or his alter ego in the books, Hank Chinaski) has develped a serious drink problem. This is the third Bukowski book I have read and it's the best of the three for me. Tho I loved Post Office and Factotum.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments Loved The Time Traveler's Wife...also glad I was able to participate in this months book discussion!!!

message 37: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I just finished Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. I didn't like it so much as I hoped. :-(

It was entertaining but it just didn't click as well. Maybe coz I watched the movie first and the scenes were fresh in my mind! Darn!

message 38: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Jones | 4 comments Finished Stephen King's IT not too long ago. It was a great book, albeit a little lengthy.

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "I have just read Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski. Funny, sad, lewd and squalid. It tells the story (in semi autobiographical form) of his childhood and upbringing in a poor part of LA during the dep..."

I have been wanting to read that for a while!

message 40: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Aths wrote: "I just finished Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. I didn't like it so much as I hoped. :-(

It was entertaining but it just didn't click as well. Maybe coz I watched the movie first an..."

Maybe it was because you saw the film first :( I loved that book more than the film

message 41: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Thanks Aths another title to add to my to do list. I haven't seen the movie yet. At this rate the pile of to read books is getting higher. I shn't be leaving the house fo a while, lol.

message 42: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Gerry wrote: "Thanks Aths another title to add to my to do list. I haven't seen the movie yet. At this rate the pile of to read books is getting higher. I shn't be leaving the house fo a while, lol."

LOL! That's what Goodreads did to me too. From a tiny insignificant TBR shelf to a huge library-worth shelf .. WOW!

message 43: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) just finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and really enjoyed reading it

message 44: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I just finished Water for Elephants and W.O.W! This is the best book I have read to date! What an epic! I'd recommend this book to all, and if you haven't tried it, you should!

message 45: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Hi...I'm new...I just finished The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo...it started out a bit slow, but once it got going it was really a good read...the characters were really interesting and I liked the mystery alot!

message 46: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I also recently finished A Thousand Splendid Suns...which was wonderful!

message 47: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Hi Shelli thanks for joining :)

message 48: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Chambers | 23 comments Shelli wrote: "Hi...I'm new...I just finished The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo...it started out a bit slow, but once it got going it was really a good read...the characters were really interesting and I liked the ..."Welcome to the group.

message 49: by Shane (new)

Shane (Shaneybobs) | 80 comments Shelli wrote: "I also recently finished A Thousand Splendid Suns...which was wonderful!"

How's it compare to The Kite Runner?

message 50: by Denise (new)

Denise (drstacer) | 15 comments I loved the Sookie Stackhouse series - better than Twilight and much funnier. I also am really enjoying the Outlander series although I am only on the 3rd one.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24