Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

220 views
Archive [General] > Team Reading Competition Rules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 601 (601 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Jun 22, 2018 02:43PM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Welcome to the FBR Team Reading Challenge!

How it Works:

This is a team competition where members read books on their own, towards group challenges, or within buddy reads to earn points for their team. Each team will be lead by a MOD in this head-to-head competition to see who will emerge victorious! This challenge will run throughout 2018, but we may declare winners quarterly depending on how things go.

What is Required to Participate?

As this is a team challenge, it's 100% dependent on routine participation. New signups require a minimum of 100 group comments to be considered and every participant will have to check in with their team leader periodically to maintain their place on the team. This part is important -> The 100 comment rule is a base we use to evaluate whether or not someone will be added to a team. Generally, it takes several weeks engaging participation to meet this minimum comment count. If you join the group and try to spam comments just to meet the minimum, your application to join the challenge might pend long enough for us to see you're going to stick around and interact long-term.

How do I sign up?

If you meet the comment requirement, you can sign up by filling out a questionnaire in the Team Reading Competition Signup Sheet. New signups will be added at the MODs' discretion. There's a lot to coordinate, so we appreciate your patience.

What types of books will be allowed?

All genres will be accepted for this competition in physical, digital, and audio format. Since most of our Buddy Reads are fantasy-related, there's an incentive for bonus points to read more from that genre. Graphic novels and manga will be accepted, but are worth a lower point value (no web comics or children's picture books). Rereads also count as long as they are reread in 2018. Only books started in 2018 will count for the competition.

How Does the Scoring System Work?

Scoring will be based on pages. Since page counts vary among formats, please log ONLY the most popular edition on Goodreads for whatever book you're reading (this is also how you will determine a value for audiobooks).

Due to the helpfulness of Rob's spreadsheet, knowing how the points are calculated is a little less important, but here are the specs:

You will earn .1 points for every 10 pages read, rounded to the nearest tenth (pages/.01). For example:
354 pages = 3.5 book points
866 pages = 8.7 book points

Bonus Points:

Buddy Reads:
If the book you read was part of a Buddy Read in our group:
Book Points/2 = Bonus Points
8.7/2 =4.35
Rounded up to 4.4
[Always round up for bonus points]

Earning these points requires timely reading of the book with the group and relatively active participation. The book will not be eligible for bonus points if you start more than 1 week before the read, and you must start no later then 2 weeks beyond the scheduled start date. The Book Club book is the exception, as reading + participation throughout the given month will count.

Challenges:
If the book you read counts towards a Challenge in our group:
Book Points/4 = Bonus Points
8.7/4 =2.175
Rounded up to 2.2
[Always round up for bonus points]

You can only earn challenge bonus points for challenges run by FBR (and you must be updating that challenge thread). Even if the book fills more than one challenge, you'll only count it once.

Total Scoring Example:
866 page book = 8.7 book points
8.7/2 = 4.4 buddy read points
8.7/4 = 2.2 challenge points
Total Points: 15.3

Graphic Novel/Manga Scoring:
Graphic novels and manga will be worth 1/4 the page count. For an 87 page GN:
Book Points/4 or:
.9/4 = .225
Rounded up to .3
Bonus points take that .3 and divide by 4 again:
.3/4 = .075
Rounded up to .1
Total Points:
Book Points: .3
Bonus Points: .1
Total: .4

DNF Rules

If you abandon a book part way through, you can still count the pages up to where you stopped reading. If you're reading a digital version without a page count, then you'll have to do some quick percentage math. DNFs are also eligible for challenge bonus points provided it meets the criteria and you're calculating it from the place you stopped rather than the entire book's worth.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!


message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments This will be fun =]


message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Just what I need... more incentives to sign up for Buddy Reads :)

Sounds like Mass Market Paperbacks win... they have the smallest page size and thus the most pages usually... those are the format I read Wheel of Time in back when I still read physical books...

Perhaps it should be limited to English formats... I found that Kaos Lordu is the longest version of Lord of Chaos... presumably because of variations in word length after translation....


message 4: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments OK, how about epubs? They normally have more "pages" than other editions.

Who is going to do the counting?

I am so very happy that buddy reads are on bonus :)


message 5: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I’d better set up my Incomplete series challenge again


message 6: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Doesn't that make EVERY book part of a challenge... except the first book in a series maybe?

And Mayim: I think we're using the Other Editions page on goodreads for page numbers... Amazon ebooks don't come with page numbers... they measure in "locations"... a 300 page book is about 4000-5000 locations...


message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
You can use the paperback number if it's an ebook with no clear page value.


message 8: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I cant wait also what happens if the book we read is a BR and part of a challenge do we times it by 2 and 4 or is it one or the other kind of thing??


message 9: by Lee (last edited Oct 05, 2017 12:01PM) (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Ahdam wrote: "I cant wait also what happens if the book we read is a BR and part of a challenge do we times it by 2 and 4 or is it one or the other kind of thing??"

I think it works exactly the same way Ahdam. So if you read a book, you get the points for the book, plus the bonus points for the BR, plus the points for the challenge. So it's not multiplied you just add it all together.

Feel free to correct me, mods haha.


message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
You'll take the original points and divide them by 2 for buddy reads.
You'll take the same original points and divide them by 4 for challenges.

For example:
8 book points
8/2 = 4 bonus for buddy reads
8/4 = 2 bonus points for challenges

8+4+2 = 14 total points for the one book.


message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
What Liam said. Lol


message 12: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Wait I think you might be right I just had a look at it again and saw the total thing haha

I'm shattered right now so my brain isn't functioning properly


message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Ahdam wrote: "Wait I think you might be right I just had a look at it again and saw the total thing haha

I'm shattered right now so my brain isn't functioning properly"


Shattered? Hope everything's okay


message 14: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments hahahahaahahah sorry that's my dads words creeping in I mean I'm tired today with train strikes happening which took longer for me to get home


message 15: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Iain wrote: "Doesn't that make EVERY book part of a challenge... except the first book in a series maybe?

And Mayim: I think we're using the Other Editions page on goodreads for page numbers... Amazon ebooks d..."


Just to clarify, I am not picky, I just want to be fair. And since I mainly read on my iPad I wanted to make sure all is OK.


message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Ahdam wrote: "hahahahaahahah sorry that's my dads words creeping in I mean I'm tired today with train strikes happening which took longer for me to get home"

Your tone seemed more lighthearted so I was hoping that's all it was lol.


message 17: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Mayim wrote: "Iain wrote: "Doesn't that make EVERY book part of a challenge... except the first book in a series maybe?

And Mayim: I think we're using the Other Editions page on goodreads for page numbers... Am..."


We're definitely going for fair. Thanks for asking, as I'm sure others will have similar questions about that.


message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3469 comments Okay, my brain already shut off at the first hint that I will have to do any sort of math, lol. Have I mentioned that my husband has banned me from helping any of our kids with their math homework?


message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Okay, my brain already shut off at the first hint that I will have to do any sort of math, lol. Have I mentioned that my husband has banned me from helping any of our kids with their math homework?"

haha, no worries. I will do the math. It's the least I can do if you help me cream the other teams.


message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3469 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "haha, no worries. I will do the math. It's the least I can do if you help me cream the other teams.
."


It's all Mr. Gray's fault, my high school Trigonometry teacher, junior year. He ruined me for math forever. Forever!


message 21: by Miche (last edited Oct 05, 2017 04:46PM) (new)

Miche | 2989 comments If the same book can be applied to more than one challenge, do we do the Book Points/4 = Bonus Points per challenge or should we count it only once?


message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Miche wrote: "If the same book can be applied to more than one challenge, do we do the Book Points/4 = Bonus Points per challenge or should we count it only once?"

Only once. :)


message 23: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2989 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Miche wrote: "If the same book can be applied to more than one challenge, do we do the Book Points/4 = Bonus Points per challenge or should we count it only once?"

Only once. :)"


Perfect. :)


message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Does the buddy read points only count for current BR or past BR as well?


message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Only Buddy Reads that start after the first of January will count.


message 26: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments What if you get ahead?... like you can't wait 6 weeks between Malazan books or something?... I assume if that's allowed it only works to a certain extent... the BRs schedules in 2018, or in a single quarter of 2018 if the competition has rounds...


message 27: by Anne-Marie (last edited Oct 05, 2017 06:33PM) (new)

Anne-Marie | 48 comments How do i know how many comments I've done so far? More importantly, can I steal a few from Chris if i need to? 😉


message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Iain wrote: "What if you get ahead?... like you can't wait 6 weeks between Malazan books or something?... I assume if that's allowed it only works to a certain extent... the BRs schedules in 2018, or in a singl..."

Hmm I'll put that to the board. Initially I would think you could only be a day or two ahead. Looking at all of the 2018 buddy read schedules I don't think we'll have trouble finding ones to wrack up points in.


message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Anne-Marie wrote: "How do i know how many comments I've done so far? More importantly, can I steal a few from Chris if i need to? 😉"

I found it in the members section. You currently have 19. I'd be willing to bet you'll comment 6 more times before the challenge starts. :)


message 30: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Anyone can find out in their profile... scroll down to groups and click "More of YOURNAME's groups"... then you get a list of all your groups and how many comments you've made in each one...


message 31: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments What about comics, manga and graphic novels? Does they count towards the score?


message 32: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Sha wrote: "What about comics, manga and graphic novels? Does they count towards the score?"

I'll ask about that too. We had some dialogue but didn't make a final decision.


message 33: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Apparently that page also lists all "bookclub books" for all your groups in the sidebar for the next 12 months or so... mostly FBR's highly organized list for me... goes all the way to the end of Wheel of Time BR next november


message 34: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
What about graphic novels? Are we counting them?


message 35: by Anne-Marie (new)

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Anne-Marie wrote: "How do i know how many comments I've done so far? More importantly, can I steal a few from Chris if i need to? 😉"

I found it in the members section. You currently have 19. I'd b..."


Thank you, ill try my best! 😊


message 36: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Are we supposed to do our trash-talking in here or in other people's team threads?... I did a bit in Scott's thread since he's popped up in some others already but I was unsure...


message 37: by Anne-Marie (new)

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Iain wrote: "Anyone can find out in their profile... scroll down to groups and click "More of YOURNAME's groups"... then you get a list of all your groups and how many comments you've made in each one..."

Oh thanks Lain, I had no idea. Im going to go search for that now


message 38: by Bill (last edited Oct 05, 2017 07:17PM) (new)

Bill | 2144 comments Was that trash talking? This is going to be fun.


message 39: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I am so bad at trash talking sorry guys I might not be of any help in that area haha.


message 40: by Arka (new)

Arka (ruineleint) So who keeps track of all the books members of a group have read? I mean members can report the books they are reading in the group thread, but who calculates the points tally and everything?


message 41: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
Arkadeb wrote: "So who keeps track of all the books members of a group have read? I mean members can report the books they are reading in the group thread, but who calculates the points tally and everything?"

Your team leader is in charge of tallying everything once reported.


message 42: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2989 comments Will DNF be added to the tally for the pages the person read or should them be ignored?

Some people have high dnf rates, so it is better to make the rule clear ahead of time.


message 43: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments I was going to ask that as well... does partial progress count in a DNF or at the end of a round/year when the 11:59:59pm cut-off occurs?

And on the topic of comics... what about webcomics that also release in print volumes yearly like Questionable Content, Vol. 1 by Jeph Jacques & Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius, #1) by Phil Foglio


message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_davies) | 166 comments Miche wrote: "Will DNF be added to the tally for the pages the person read or should them be ignored? ...."

Would it be fair to count the pages actually read? In general, I wouldn't want discourage anyone from trying things that might not be in their traditional area of interest.


message 45: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments You should probably copy that sign-up info over to the sign-up thread so people know it's still worth filling out the questionnaire over there and what to expect...


message 46: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
I would say to count the pages read up to where you stopped. If you are reading a digital version without a page count then you'll have to do some quick percentage math.


message 47: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
We'll have a discussion about graphic novels, manga, and comics today. As well as all the other questions.


message 48: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
I think I did copy and paste that already. I'll check when I get to the desktop to make sure


message 49: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments I see it now... I might have missed it before...


message 50: by Miche (last edited Oct 06, 2017 09:53AM) (new)

Miche | 2989 comments Ann wrote: "Miche wrote: "Will DNF be added to the tally for the pages the person read or should them be ignored? ...."

Would it be fair to count the pages actually read? In general, I wouldn't want discourag..."


I also find it fair to count the pages they read. Just thought to ask so it is clear from the beginning. :)


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
back to top