Start by marking “The Raven and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
The Raven and Other Poems

The Raven and Other Poems

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  36,219 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews
A chilling, thrilling collection of Edgar Allan Poe's poetry, introduced by best-selling author Philip Pullman

The Raven . . . Annabel Lee . . . Ulalume . . . these are some of the spookiest, most macabre poems ever written, now collected in this chilling, affordable volume.

Dreams --
To Helen --
Israfel --
Valley of unrest
Paperback, Scholastic Classics, 73 pages
Published September 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Raven and Other Poems

Mischenko
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love Poe? This one contains some of our favorite poems and I purchased it for my oldest daughter to read from our book club. It contains some of the spookiest poems by Poe including our favorite for this time of year, The Raven, as well as others like The Haunted Palace, Annabel Lee, The Bells, and A Dream Within a Dream. It's a small paperback with a nice collection of Poe's works.
Duane
The Raven, Annabel Lee; pure genius.
Paul O'Neill
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be nothing which thou art not.

Overview 4/5 stars

I don't read much of any poetry. Apart from poems I've read for school (way back when), this is my first book of poetry I've ever read. I will be reading more poetry from now on as I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Poe is well known for the Raven, which everyone has heard at some point. Even the Simpsons recited it during a tree house of horror episode. His other works are also brilliant. There are, of course, a few misses but for the most part everything
Sue K H
Not wild about poetry, not wild about horror but I love, love love these poems. I'm becoming a big Edgar Allan Poe fan completely by accident.
Bob
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read many collections of poetry, or single poems for that matter. It is not something I gravitate to in my normal course of reading. I just don’t know how to embrace poetry. Maybe it was a poor high school education that contributed to my utter lack of understanding things like meter, rhythm, iambic pentameter, and all that goes into creating a poem. For me enjoying a poem has always been an impulse or gut reaction, either the poem is instantly OK or it’s not. The memorability of a poe ...more
Lucia Codreanu
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
genial.
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Some poems are really hard for me to understand unless I sit down, reread the lines twice and think hard. Though there are some that are beautifully haunting and sad. My favourite poems by him are the ones about his lost loves, those are the ones I delved into and got lost in. For one thing, Poe sure had an uncanny ability to depict pain and suffering. Hell, it seem to seep through the pages. It's obvious this man wrote with passion and feeling.
Andrew Munroe
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book one because I don't like poems and second the plot lines for the poems were all mixed up and confusing.
Our Library Mornington
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: we-recommend
First published in the New York Evening Mirror in 1845, The Raven, is perhaps one of Poe’s most well-known poems.

A talking raven visits a man tormented by the loss of his love, “the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore”. The Raven perches upon the man’s chamber door and foretells he will “nevermore” be reunited with his love, not even in death. With each refrain of “nevermore” the protagonist becomes more and more agitated until he finally succumbs to madness.

“And the raven, neve
Sarah W.
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought this book was okay. It was a good, short book to read. This book is definitely not my favorite poetry book that I have read before, but it was an okay book.
Sara
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
What a joy to revisit the poems of Edgar Allan Poe with a group of readers who brought to them thoughts and ideas that enhanced the reading. I love Poe's grasp of mythology, his use of rhyme and rhythm, alliteration, and, yes, even his morose musings. He seems to me to lay a tortured soul in front of us and ask, "What would you do with this? What could you do with it, but mourn?"

I have written individual reviews for The Raven, The Bells and Annabel Lee. I will not revisit them here, but I would
Smitha Murthy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Edgar Allan Poe was my faithful companion back in 1990s. How many of his stories I devoured again and again! "The Tell-Tale Heart" still reverberates in my memory!

This set of poems in a lovely, illustrated edition by Peter Pauper contains haunting verse - macabre and spooky. 'The Raven' remains one of my favorite poems ever, and there are other classics such as 'A Dream Within A Dream' (Which also is one of my favorite songs) and Annabel Lee. One for the collector in you, this is a delight.

Billierosie Billierosie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Published in January, 1845,"The Raven", by Edgar Allan Poe, is a poem, a lament, telling of loss, isolation, and loneliness. The opening lines identify the speaker as someone who feels tired and weak but is still awake in the middle of a gloomy night. He passes the time by reading a strange book of ancient knowledge. Poe uses alliteration to convey the effect of unsteadiness. This line also sets the poem's rhythmical pattern and provides the first example of the use of internal rhyme in "dreary"
Roy Huff
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Once upon a midnight dreary." I love Poe. How could anyone not? I loved it so much, I memorized it! I've forgotten most of it since then, but it compelled me to take it to heart. Dark yet enchanting, Poe has a way of drawing the reader it. It lacks the gore of modern horror and suspense but is much more effective and endearing. This is a schoolyard classic, and if you haven't read it you are missing out. Pick this up now and read it! I can still hear the words in my head being spoken in a spook ...more
Indi Martin
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-enjoyed
Edgar Allen Poe was my first love as a emo high school goth, thick with black eyeliner and heavy stares, convinced my deep green eyes saw the world deeper and more completely than any of my peers. In other words, High Goth, standard cookie-cut-individualism. I still wear black eyeliner, it's the one habit I've never been able to break. Musically, I highly recommend Alan Parson's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" as an excellent companion piece. Favorite tales of mine were "Dr. Tarr and Professo ...more
Hanguin
best advice is reading it aloud
suitable for rainy days with a cup of hot coffee
A.D. Crystal
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EDGAR ALAN POE
The RAPPER POET of the 19th century.
'Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately Raven of the saintly days of yore;
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door—
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door—
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.'
Colin
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
BOOK REVIEW #2 "The raven", is an INCREDIBLE 89 page book that is very well worded. Its so well written you can feel the emotion in the words as you read. Edgar Allen Poe is an american writer who is very famous for his stories of horror,and mystery such as the book,"The raven"and"The fall of the house of usher". The poems are amazing and each have a unique story to tell. The two poems that I felt impacted me the most were,"Alone"and," A dream within a dream". "Alone", was a very sad story that ...more
Lynn Beyrouthy
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not the first time I dislike a book with high ratings on goodreads (The Fault in our Stars for instance), and surely not the first time I find myself unimpressed by an acclaimed and famous classical author (Franz Kafka for example). But I really believed I'd appreciate Poe's work more since it is anchored in a nineteenth century macabre atmosphere and since he led a dandy life, much like my beloved Baudelaire. However, with the exception of The Raven and Anabel Lee that undisputably deserve a fi ...more
Jill
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have never particularly liked poetry - especially rhyming poetry, which often comes out seeming trite. The Raven in particular is a masterpiece. It doesn't feel like Poe was even searching for a rhyme, but that it just fell into place. His repetition of words gives a creepy, rhythmic feel to the poem and while reading it, you almost forget altogether that it is in fact a poem, since you're caught up in its narrative.
Che Hypatia (Alanoud)
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
Alissa
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, classics
I love Poe and can't think of a better author to read in October. He has some creepy stuff. It's fantastic!
n. sadel
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."
— John Milton, Paradise Lost.

The poem "For Annie" is about a laudanum addict who, once again, obtains his heavenly vision (Annie). It is written in the present tense. The addict is thinking. He is not speaking to anyone.

The poem begins with the narrator already having ingested the laudanum. This can be understood by moving the sixth stanza to the beginning: "oh! of all tortures that torture the worst has abat
Salymar
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-read, ebooks
My English teacher asked for my favorite poem at school. And, I gave her this book ;)
Jen
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Finally finished! Of the last 3 poems 'Eldorado' was my favourite, I've had it memorised for a long time. It's short and doesn't have some of the beauty of Poe's other works but I like the story and the galloping rhythm. I think the moral of the story is fairly clear - you can search and search for paradise in life but will only find it truely in death
Jonah
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
best.book.ever.OMG!the poem was sooo inspiring!I'm going to write a poem based on the raven,but with a snake instead.
Jack Marryatt
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I do not like poetry, not in the slightest, I only read this book because it was required of me. I don't have much to say rather than I do like creepiness of his poems, my favorite was probably The Raven.
Max
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I really liked the poems in this book. But I did not like it all being in a book format. When I read poems I like to read them slow and not keep reading a ton of them at a time. Especially when they are poems by Edgar Allan Poe which are poems that you have to rap your head around.
Dzemo Sh
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of poetry I've read, and even though I liked it, I had some difficulties understanding some of the poems right on my first try reading them. But after rereading them a couple of times, I could understand the meaning better and truly liked, even loved some of them.

Edgar Allan Poe is said to have been a little bit of a nut job and maybe even crazy, and even though it is somewhat true, it's undeniable he possesses a rare brilliance in his writing. The way he conveys emotions
Catching up on Cl...: November 2017 - The Raven and Other Poems 131 106 Dec 19, 2017 04:54AM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. * The Raven and Other Poems 1 26 Oct 27, 2017 09:18AM
Around the Year i...: The Raven and Other Poems, by Edgar Allan Poe 4 15 Mar 06, 2016 09:38AM
  • The Highwayman

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
“I saw thee once - only once - years ago:
I must not say how many - but not many.
It was a July midnight; and from out
A full-orbed moon, that, like thine own soul, soaring,
Sought a precipitate pathway up through heaven,
There fell a silvery-silken veil of light,
With quietude, and sultriness, and slumber,
Upon the upturn'd faces of a thousand
Roses that grew in an enchanted garden,
Where no wind dared stir, unless on tiptoe -
Fell on the upturn'd faces of these roses
That gave out, in return for the love-light,
Their odorous souls in an ecstatic death -
Fell on the upturn'd faces of these roses
That smiled and died in the parterre, enchanted
By thee, and by the poetry of thy presence.

Clad all in white, upon a violet bank
I saw thee half reclining; while the moon
Fell upon the upturn'd faces of the roses,
And on thine own, upturn'd - alas, in sorrow!

Was it not Fate, that, on this July midnight -
Was it not Fate, (whose name is also Sorrow,)
That bade me pause before that garden-gate,
To breathe the incense of those slumbering roses?
No footsteps stirred: the hated world all slept,
Save only thee and me. (Oh, Heaven! - oh, G**!
How my heart beats in coupling those two words!)
Save only thee and me. I paused - I looked -
And in an instant all things disappeared.
(Ah, bear in mind the garden was enchanted!)
The pearly lustre of the moon went out:
The mossy banks and the meandering paths,
The happy flowers and the repining trees,
Were seen no more: the very roses' odors
Died in the arms of the adoring airs.
All - all expired save thee - save less than thou:
Save only divine light in thine eyes -
Save but the soul in thine uplifted eyes.
I saw but them - they were the world to me.
I saw but them - saw only them for hours -
Saw only them until the moon went down.
What wild heart-histories seemed to lie enwritten
Upon those crystalline, celestial spheres!
How dark a wo! yet how sublime a hope!
How silently serene a sea of pride!
How daring an ambition! yet how deep -
How fathomless a capacity for love!
But now, at length, dear Dian sank from sight,
Into a western couch of thunder-cloud;
And thou, a ghost, amid the entombing trees
Didst glide away. Only thine eyes remained.
They would not go - they never yet have gone.
Lighting my lonely pathway home that night,
They have not left me (as my hopes have) since.
They follow me - they lead me through the years.
They are my ministers - yet I their slave.
Their office is to illumine and enkindle -
My duty, to be saved by their bright fire,
And purified in their electric fire,
And sanctified in their elysian fire.
They fill my soul with Beauty (which is Hope,)
And are far up in Heaven - the stars I kneel to
In the sad, silent watches of my night;
While even in the meridian glare of day
I see them still - two sweetly scintillant
Venuses, unextinguished by the sun!”
55 likes
“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,”
41 likes