PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [Copy Cat Challenge] > November Copy Cat Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Duration: 1-30 November 2017
Partners will be assigned on the same day

Guidelines:
- In this challenge, participants are required to sign up first.
- The participants will later be paired up randomly
- You will find who your partner is below, once the pairings are posted
- Participants need to CHOOSE & READ at least one book that your partner has read (from their read shelves)
- When you finish, compare the rating your partner has given to the book and your rating.
- You complete the challenge when you finish reading the book. You will get one "complete" towards earning a prize!

Please post below if you are interested.

Please DO NOT sign up unless you are certain that you can participate

message 2: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad please sign me up

message 3: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments I'm in! :)

message 4: by Christi (new)

Christi (christimariee) | 8 comments I'm in too :)

message 5: by Jadine (new)

Jadine | 18 comments I'm in :)

message 6: by R (new)

R Z | 16 comments I'm in!

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 1 comments Me please!!

message 8: by Marisela (new)

Marisela (mariselaa) | 8 comments I'm in(:

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Count me in!

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Hudson (courtneyhudson) | 6 comments I'm new to the group, but would love to do this too! Sounds like fun.

message 11: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments I'm in!

message 12: by Mandi (new)

Mandi (toxicmyst) I would like to try this too! Sign me up please!

message 13: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Last week to sign up!

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (sasper5) | 10 comments Sign me up!

message 15: by Myra (last edited Oct 22, 2017 08:58PM) (new)

Myra Blake (tentmari) | 26 comments I'm in!

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments I'm in :)

message 17: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Please sign me up again :)

message 18: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments last couple of days to sign up (:

message 19: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (sasper5) | 10 comments Sign me up.

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia (raspberryboat) | 5 comments I'd love to take part.

message 21: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments last couple of hours to sign up!

message 22: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Here are this month's pairings:

Debra & Afa
Christi & Chelsea
Jadine & Myra
Sandra & Marisela
Jennifer & R & Mandi
Courtney & Missy
Colleen & Pradnya
Annie & Julia
Amber & Anne

For a group of three please do a "round"! Jennifer can pick from R's shelf, R can pick from Mandi's shelf and Mandi can pick from Jennifer's!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Ok, I will be reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao from R's shelf.

message 24: by Amber M. (last edited Nov 01, 2017 07:48PM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Hello, Anne!

I'll most likely pick one of these, as I've been wanting to read them for some time already:
Strange the Dreamer
The Graveyard Book
Me Before You
I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad Hello Afa,

After looking at your list I have decided to read Cycle of the Werewolf

message 26: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ok, I will be reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao from R's shelf."

I love this book! Enjoy!

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hello Julia, I have sent you a friend request so that I can see the books on your shelf :)

Let me know if you need any help choosing a book from mine.

message 28: by R (new)

R Z | 16 comments Hey, Mandi, from your shelf I'm going to choose Soulless!

Jennifer, I hope you enjoy the novel!

message 29: by Julia (new)

Julia (raspberryboat) | 5 comments Hey Annie, I completely forgot about the needing a friend request thing, sorry about that...
I think I'll choose Outlander, it's been on my list for so long and I haven't gotten round to reading it so this is the perfect opportunity. I actually found quite a few books on your shelf that interested me.
If you need any help just ask :D

message 30: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (sasper5) | 10 comments Hi Pradnyg,

It’s nice to meet you. I accepted your friend request. I’m a romance reader, so I hope you like what’s on my shelf. I will check out your shelf.

Colleen

message 31: by Anne ✨ (last edited Nov 02, 2017 02:09PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Hi Amber, I'm so happy you found multiple possibilities. Those were all great reads for me!

I really liked your bookshelf!! So many good options! I'm choosing between these 3 that I've had on my TBR..
Flowers for Algernon
Station Eleven
The Bear and the Nightingale

message 32: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Anne wrote: "Hi Amber, I'm so happy you found multiple possibilities. Those were all great reads for me!

I really liked your bookshelf!! So many good options! I'm choosing between these 3 that I've had on my ..."

Oh good, I'm glad you found some that will work for you too :) Those three are all quality reads.

message 33: by Myra (new)

Myra Blake (tentmari) | 26 comments Hi Jadine!

I just looked over your bookshelf and have decided to read For One More Day. It is already on my TBR list and I just recently picked up a copy of it at a yard sale. I have already read a few books by Mitch Albom and I really enjoyed them. I have no doubt this one will be good as well.

message 34: by Mandi (new)

Mandi (toxicmyst) R, I hope you enjoy it! That's a series I really need to start again.

Jennifer, you have quite a few that I want to read. The ones that I am going to decide between are:
Eragon, Flowers in the Attic, A is for Alibi, The Girl on the Train, All the Light We Cannot See, The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra and The Giver. I am off to the library!

message 35: by Annie (last edited Nov 04, 2017 08:52AM) (new)

Annie | 89 comments Julia wrote: "Hey Annie, I completely forgot about the needing a friend request thing, sorry about that...
I think I'll choose Outlander, it's been on my list for so long and I haven't gotten round ..."

Hi Julia, that's no problem, I have just gone through your shelf and there were so many choices. I have narrowed it down to either Heartless by Marissa Meyer or Smoke and mirror by Jess Haines, which would you recommend? :)

Hope you are enjoying Outlander so far!

message 36: by Julia (last edited Nov 05, 2017 08:21AM) (new)

Julia (raspberryboat) | 5 comments Annie wrote: "Julia wrote: "Hey Annie, I completely forgot about the needing a friend request thing, sorry about that...
I think I'll choose Outlander, it's been on my list for so long and I haven't..."

Oh my gosh that's a tough choice, I really enjoyed both. I think Smoke and Mirror is a definitely a light-hearted and enjoyable read, it's full of cute and quirky moments. Heartless however is a bit on the heavier and more intense side but definitely worth it. It depends what you're in the mood for, these books are kind of opposites hahah.

About Outlander, I've actually seen the first season of the tv show before so I'm looking forward to seeing how it was adapted from book into a television series. I almost regret not reading the book first because I enjoyed the show so much but the book is great so far, I'm really excited about it :)

message 37: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Julia wrote: "Annie wrote: "Julia wrote: "Hey Annie, I completely forgot about the needing a friend request thing, sorry about that...
I think I'll choose Outlander, it's been on my list for so long..."

Hi Julia, thanks for letting me know, in that case, I'll go for Smoke and Mirrors, as I feel like a light read after the last couple of books that I've read. But I shall save Heartless for a later date as it sounds intriguing.

I actually haven't watched the series for Outlander yet, let me know if it does the book justice then I might give a try then :) Happy that you are enjoying it so far, I kept rooting for Jamie!

message 38: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Hudson (courtneyhudson) | 6 comments Hi Missy,

I sent you a message and accepted your FR. I plan on reading The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. If you see something on my read list that you're interested in, but I didn't leave a review and just left a rating, let me know and I'll do my best to update it.

message 39: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad Afa wrote: "Hi Debra!
I've looked through your shelf, and I think I'll go with Stephen King too and read either Ur or Cujo.
I hope you're enjoying Cycle of the Werewolf!"

I have finished this and it was good but felt alittle like he rushed the story. I gave it 3 stars.

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hello Julia, I have finished Smoke and Mirrors and I enjoyed it, it was an entertaining read though I wish there was a sequel as I wanted to know what happens next...

I gave it 3 stars

message 41: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments If you like this challenge you should check out our first Book Stacks challenge!

Click HERE for more info!

message 42: by Jadine (new)

Jadine | 18 comments Hi Myra!
I hope you are enjoying For One More Day! I know that I really loved it. I ended up reading Animal Farm from your list. I actually didn't like it as much as I hoped. My classes in high school didn't end up reading it. I was really bummed but I am so glad that I finally had the opportunity! You rated it a 1 star and I rated it a 3 star.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Mandi wrote: "R, I hope you enjoy it! That's a series I really need to start again.

Jennifer, you have quite a few that I want to read. The ones that I am going to decide between are:
Eragon, [boo..."

Well i'm glad I had a handful you were interested in. Which one did you decide on? I enjoyed them all so I hope you enjoy whichever one you picked.

message 44: by Christi (new)

Christi (christimariee) | 8 comments hello Chelsea,

I'm going to give the book We Were Liars a chance. Hope you found something interesting on my shelf.

message 45: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments Courtney wrote: "Hi Missy,

I sent you a message and accepted your FR. I plan on reading The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. If you see something on my read list that you're interested in, but I didn't leave a r..."

Great choice!!! :) I picked Dead Until Dark. I will read that next.

message 46: by Christi (new)

Christi (christimariee) | 8 comments Hello Chelsea,

I have finished We Were Liars. Though I really wanted to like this novel I actually found the story to be quite lacking in plot for the most part (up until the very end of course). Most of the characters all fell flat for me too, except maybe Gat who we didn't get enough of IMO. I simply couldn't find myself connecting to Cady and her issues, as she seemed so self indulgent throughout. That is why I gave this story 2 stars as compared to the 5 stars you gave to it. Hope you're enjoying whatever book you chose from my shelf!

message 47: by Julia (new)

Julia (raspberryboat) | 5 comments Hey Annie,
I finished Outlander and gave it 5 stars (like you).

I really enjoyed it even though it took me a while to read between school and other things going on. To be honest I found the first half was a little slow but that's probably because I remember the first season of the show really well and knew what was going to happen. The second half was easier to read because I could barely remember what happened lol. I also rooted for Jaime :D I'm glad I finally read it and it's a book I will be recommending to friends.

Anyway I think the first season of the tv show stays fairly true to the book although I'm not completely sure about the second season (partly because I can't remember much of it). So if you want to know if it's worth watching, I guess I would say why not. The acting is good, it's well produced and entertaining to watch (unlike many other tv adaptations).

message 48: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments

Completed!

Book: Strange the Dreamer
Author: Laini Taylor
Partner's (Anne) Rating: ★★★★★
My Rating: ★★★★☆

message 49: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Hi Amber,

I finished Station Eleven

It was really interesting, such a creative and different approach vs the typical post-apocalyptic. I didn't connect strongly with the individual characters, but I liked the world-building and the quiet insights throughout their daily lives. Listening on audio, I found it difficult to keep track with the jumping back/forth of timelines and characters. So, my rating of 3 stars is a bit lower than many folks who rate this book 4 or 5. Well worth reading though, it's unique, insightful, and well written.

message 50: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (sasper5) | 10 comments Pradyna,

HeyI picked Color Me Purple and I have to say I’m having a hard time finishing this book😢 but I will before the end of the month.

« previous 1