Start by marking “Station Eleven” as Want to Read:
Station Eleven

Station Eleven

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  199,785 Ratings  ·  25,393 Reviews
An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage dur
Published September 9th 2014 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Station Eleven, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Zvika
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melanie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing

"Survival is insufficient".
Star Trek: Voyager

Novels whose premise strips away the world as we know it can be tricky territory. They can be innately dramatic, overwrought, didactic and riddled with Big Questions about Life and Death that leave no room for contemplation. Think Ayn Rand on her best day.

Or they can be like "Station Eleven". Quiet. Dark. Elegiac. Lit from within like a mysterious firefly. Unhurried. Steeped in small acts and evocative landscapes. Lonely. Elegant. Radiant. Heartbroken
Rick Riordan
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adult speculative fiction

Even since reading The Stand by Stephen King when I was a kid, I’ve had a soft spot for apocalyptic plagues that wipe out humanity. Er . . . I mean in fiction, of course. Station Eleven is in that vein.

The Georgia Flu sweeps across the world, killing most of humanity. St. John-Mandel, using beautiful prose and poignant characterization, follows the lives of various survivors, tracing how their lives intersect in a group of entertainers called the Traveling Symphony. The
karen
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Of all of them there at the bar that night, the bartender was the one who survived the longest. He died three weeks later on the road out of the city.

on the night the world begins to end, a man has a heart attack and dies onstage while performing the lead role in king lear. considering that shortly after this, the georgia flu will have killed off 99% of the population and changed the world as we know it forever, it seems unlikely that he would be remembered among so many millions dead. but that'
Maggie Stiefvater
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, recommended
I don't know if you will like this book.

It's a very particular kind of book done very well, which is not remotely a promise that you will like it. The jacket copy is not untrue, but it also isn't helpful. Yes, this is book about the end of the world as we know it, yes, this is a book about a post-apocalyptic Shakespearean troupe, yes, this is a book about a Hollywood actor's dispiriting love life. But that doesn't tell you how the book feels — what the experience is like reading it. This is les
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
”Hell is the absence of the people you long for.”

When the Georgia Flu sweeps around the world killing 99.6% of the population there were suddenly... a lot of people... to long for. The people missing from our lives is the hardest part. We mourn their loss, but we also have to mourn for the part of ourselves that is lost with each of their passings.

To survive is painful.

”Civilization in Year Twenty was an archipelago of small towns. These towns had fought off ferals, buried their neighbors, live
Carol
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't know why it bothers me so that I thought this book was just ok. So many of my GR friends have embraced this Station Eleven and have shouted its praises from the rooftop. I struggled through the first 80 pages, didn't want to throw it under the couch, but wasn't finding myself engaged. Perhaps I should have quit while I was ahead but stubborn that I am, I carried on. It never really got better for me but I did finish. At least I won't feel left out.

Shakespeare is dead and I prefer him to
Regan
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about the resilience of people.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“The thing with the new world is it’s just horrifically short on elegance.”

Everyone loved this book. I’m talking EVERYONE. I have 1 – yep ONE – friend or person I follow on Goodreads who gave it less than 3 Stars. In order to prove how much of an idiot I am and that no one should take my opinion seriously, I will super giffify this review.

Commercial Photography

Station Eleven begins with the story of Arthur, who passes away on stage while performing King
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Until I someday write a longer review (you never know, it could happen), I’ll just say this: I sat down intending to read about 50 pages tonight and wound up reading 200. I also completely forgot the world around me existed for a few hours, and that is the highest praise I can personally give any book.
Jill
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2016
It’s no accident that Emily St. John Mandel opens her haunting new novel with a scene from King Lear, who ends up mad and blind but clear as a bell. One of that play’s memorable lines is: “The oldest hath borne most; we that are young/Shall never see so much nor live so long.”

Indeed, there is a divide between those who have borne much and those who will never see so much. In the opening pages, renowned actor Arthur Leander dies while performing King Lear. Before the week is out, the vast majorit
Felicia
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a lovely, elevated apocalypse story that was very touching. The integration of acting and Hollywood world was really interesting, I'm sure even moreso to someone who isn't in "the biz." If you want a dose of great storytelling with your post-disaster wasteland fiction, this is a book for you!
Violet wells
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted and expected to enjoy this novel more than I did. There’s much that’s gripping and clever but it was spoiled for me by a sloppiness in its construction, most notably an excess of half-baked and obfuscating characters. Was this novel rushed to cash in on the Hunger Games pandemic? At times it comes across as a novel written with heart but equally it can seem sketchy and only half imagined. Also should be said that it karaokes most other successful dystopian novels of recent times, most o ...more
Megan Johnson
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys dystopian fiction, Book clubs
The world is ending, a deadly pandemic has left 99.99% of humanity dead, and for those left the task of surviving is proving to be more difficult than any of them could have imagined. A famous actor falls dead on stage from a heart attack mere hours before the outbreak affects nearly everyone around him. They would all almost be dead within a few weeks. Station Eleven is the story of those affected by this mass outbreak and how they are somehow all connected in ways that transcend this great tra ...more
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

"We traveled so far and your friendship meant everything. It was difficult, but there were moments of beauty. Everything ends. I am not afraid."

Station Eleven is a book that sat hovering in my peripheral vision for a couple of years. I promised myself I would read it in 2017, and I'm really glad I finally did.

The book begins with the end.

The end of actor, Arthur Leander, and the end of the world in the form of a fast-acting flu-like virus. From that point on, the story
Lyn
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
An exceptionally well rendered portrait of Elvis on a magnificent black velvet background.

Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel’s 2014 novel is the "Velvet Elvis" of post-apocalyptic books, a surprisingly different form than usual with a style all its own.

“Post-apocalyptic literary science fiction” was one way I have heard it described, and also “pastoral science fiction” and I here adopt both descriptions. Mandel has certainly softened the Mad Max edges off her story and provided a ponderous, m
Fabian
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An eclectic, wondrous literary feast, with a generous dispersal of savory anecdotes, attitudes & (grand) themes. It has all the BEST features of previous apocalyterature & road stories (the pale terror of McCarthy's "The Road", the joie de vivre/bonhomie of the band of outsiders in "The Wizard of Oz," the irresistible speed and power of "Mad Max")--it all adds up to something as interesting & bizarre as "Cloud Atlas."

"Station Eleven" is a novel that's full of life. It desists from st
Ami
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book. The sort of book you should attend a midnight party at your local bookstore to get your hands on a copy. The sort of book you should call in sick to work the day you buy, because you won't want to stop reading it. I put this book down only to email everyone I know with the sort of subject line "OMG best book ever please read immediately" that could potentially be sent to the spam folder. This novel, friends, is the real deal.

Everything that follows deals only with in
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

First, two points about my experience of reading so far in 2014.

1. I've read some great books this year, but in terms of highly anticipated new fiction, 2014 has frequently been disappointing. Elizabeth is Missing and The Miniaturist, two enormously hyped debuts I had been hearing about since around a year ago, were both perfectly readable and okay, but fell far short of what I expected from them; Sarah Waters' new novel The Paying Guests I found
Kemper
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one well written apocalypse.

Arthur Leander is a famous actor who suffers a heart attack and dies on stage just before a deadly version of the swine flu kills most of humanity. Station Eleven then uses Arthur as the center of a web of connections that we learn from the people in his life before, during and after the disease wipes out the world as we know it. Kirsten sees Arthur die as a child actor, and years later she’s part of the Traveling Symphony that tours the small towns of the pos
Maureen
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful, beautiful book. I loved every moment and I was captivated the whole time. It was unlike anything I've ever read before!

Reread March of 2017

Still a forever fave. It's so beautifully written and makes you *think* so much. Excited to discuss for book club tonight!
mark monday
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
assorted thoughts

a post-apocalyptic pastoral. I like post-apocalyptic pastorals, their difference from other post-apocalyptic novels that prefer to focus on violence and devolving to a barbaric state. something so relaxing about contemplating an emptied-out world not full of hustle and bustle. all that time to think. but how does one go about eating? or fighting off the occasional aggressor? it would be important to have skill with a knife.

I appreciate the tender humanism at the novel's core.

I a
Bil
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dystopia and post-apocalyptic readers
Recommended to Bil by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
Station Eleven is a gem amongst the works of dystopian fiction. A novel that exudes hope amidst an apocalypse with a refreshing new concept.

A nomadic group traveling around an expanse in a world wiped out by a pandemic and performing the works of poets and playwrights. I am impressed at how original this turned out to be. Mixing it with a character-driven plot is what won me over this award winner. It amazed me how seamlessly woven the different viewpoints were in the narrative. Jumping back and
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
Hello, HBO. My name is Station Eleven, and I would make an awesome miniseries. I'm missing one of my stars because I didn't spend quite enough time on Jeevan in the last third, and because there was so little explanation of the first, scariest (i.e. most thrilling) year, but I am otherwise damn near perfect and totally addictive and it's sad that I'm over and done.

Sequel, sequel, seeequel, seeeeeequel!

(Margaret Atwood totally end of the world spoiled me.)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars.
I stood looking over my damaged home and tried to forget the sweetness of life on Earth.

description
Dr. Eleven stands on dark rocks overlooking an indigo sea at twilight. Small boats move between islands, wind turbines spinning on the horizon. He holds his fedora in his hand. A small white animal stands by his side.
description
On Station Eleven's surface it is always sunset or twilight or night.
Station Eleven is an elegy lamenting all that humanity has lost when over 99% of the world's population is killed i
Jack Foster
Oct 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am really struggling to understand what people like about this book. This book is terrible.

The characters are so poorly drawn. Arthur, a vapid movie star, who, based on his actions and numerous ex-wives is a shallow, benign sociopath who seems to drift from woman to woman without conscience. His existence as a movie star is dimly imagined as if through the lens of a person who only reads UsWeekly. His craft is only discussed inso far as to ruminate on celebrity (actors sacrifice privacy, papa
Maxwell
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, i-own-it, 2015
No doubt, a favorite. I loved it just as much, if not more, the second time reading it. I love Mandel's ability to infuse hope into such a hopeless situation. The persistence of art, the interdependent nature of humanity, and the world's inevitable chaos are all themes that appear and reappear throughout the novel. They intertwine like the lives of these characters, and the clarity and precision with which Mandel presents these multiple narratives is impeccable. It moved me again and again, and ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, adult-fiction
really, really good.

(I will write more later. or do a video review later. we shall see.)
Steve
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Station Eleven Q&A

Q. Winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award, finalist for the PEN/Faulkner, nominated for the National Book Award, and a 4+ rating on Goodreads – this must be pretty good, right?

A. It is. But the weight of expectations was immense. And I’m not above a reflexive anti-kowtow when twitterpated literati seem a little too consistent in their praise.

Q. Twitterpated – is that something to do with tweets?

A. Grr… let’s agree that I’ll be the one to make the jokes, OK? Like I was sayin
Joe Valdez
I knew Emily St. John Mandel's 2014 apocalyptic bestseller Station Eleven well when I raced through it over three days in February 2015. My thoughts were ripe and I'm convinced my insights were brilliant. Then came judgment day, in October appropriately, when Goodreads tricked me into deleting my review because the book was still marked "to read" in my reading docket. Now I find myself struggling to pick up the pieces and recreate what was the best I can, without cannibals chasing me.

The story b
Sean Gibson
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a general rule, I don’t tend to seek out post-apocalyptic fare. There are enough depressing things in life—for instance, when careless 7-Eleven employees put Coke Slurpee into the same dispenser that previously had banana Slurpee in it without giving it a proper cleaning, so the Coke Slurpee ends up overwhelmed with notes of fake banana flavor, which might be the worst of the fake flavors, notwithstanding fake earwax-flavored jelly beans (but only because fake earwax flavor is execrable; real ...more
  • World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3)
  • After the Apocalypse
  • Far North
  • Europe in Autumn
  • The Enchanted
  • The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3)
  • Half a Crown (Small Change, #3)
  • The Fireman
  • Blueprints of the Afterlife
  • Bats of the Republic: An Illuminated Novel
  • Bellweather Rhapsody
  • Boy, Snow, Bird
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
Emily St. John Mandel was born and raised on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada. She studied contemporary dance at the School of Toronto Dance Theatre and lived briefly in Montreal before relocating to New York.

Her fourth novel, Station Eleven, is forthcoming in September 2014. All three of her previous novels—Last Night in Montreal, The Singer's Gun, and The Lola Quartet—were Indie Next
More about Emily St. John Mandel...
“Hell is the absence of the people you long for.” 752 likes